Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pastrami

I have a corned beef we are cooking tomorrow. I want to take a small
piece of it and smoke it to make pastrami. I have a WSM and a gas
Masterbuilt that is new and never used. Any tips?

Thanks,
Larry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 9, 8:39*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 21:11:14 -0400, L G wrote:
> > I have a corned beef we are cooking tomorrow. *I want to take a small
> > piece of it and smoke it to make pastrami. *I have a WSM and a gas
> > Masterbuilt that is new and never used. *Any tips?

> Smoke the whole thing or nothing at all.
>
> -sw

Yep
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 21:11:14 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> I have a corned beef we are cooking tomorrow. I want to take a small
>> piece of it and smoke it to make pastrami. I have a WSM and a gas
>> Masterbuilt that is new and never used. Any tips?
>>

> Smoke the whole thing or nothing at all.
>
> -sw

Why would that make a difference? I don't want to screw it up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

pamjd wrote:
> On Apr 9, 8:39 pm, > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 21:11:14 -0400, L G wrote:
>>
>>> I have a corned beef we are cooking tomorrow. I want to take a small
>>> piece of it and smoke it to make pastrami. I have a WSM and a gas
>>> Masterbuilt that is new and never used. Any tips?
>>>

>> Smoke the whole thing or nothing at all.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Yep

Why? This is a test. I'm talking about 1-2#'s.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"L G" > wrote

> Why would that make a difference? I don't want to screw it up.

Doing a small piece it will dry out. I do full corned briskets or nothing
to make pastrami. If you do a small piece it will be difficujlt to tell
what is pastrami and what is the lump of charcoal.

Here are two methods

What is pastrami and how do I make my own?

For best results, use trimmed briskets.

Start with a curing brine. This makes enough for 25 lbs of meat.

5 quarts ice water (about 38-40F)
8 oz. salt
5 oz. Prague Powder #1
5 oz. powdered dextrose
1 Tb garlic juice

Prepare and cure as for corned beef.

After curing, remove from brine and rub liberally with cracked black pepper
and coriander seeds.

Smoke at 140F until the meat is dry and then increase smoker temperature to
200-220F and hold until internal temperature of meat reaches 170-180F.

Chill overnight before using. This meat is fully cooked.

Pastrami

4 pounds beef flank or brisket
1/2 cup coarse (kosher) salt
2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black peppercorns
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, coarsely cracked

With a trussing needle or a large darning needle threaded with twine, take a
stitch through the narrow end of the meat, Bring out both ends of the string
and make a loop about 3 inches long for hanging. Mix together thoroughly
the salt, brown sugar, ginger, pepper, garlic, and coriander. Rub the
mixture into every part of the meat's surface, massaging it well and coating
it evenly.

Wrap the meat in aluminum) foil and then enclose it in a plastic bag.
Refrigerate for 8 to 12 days, turning the package daily or as often as you
think of it. Remove the seasoned meat from the package, patting onto it any
seasonings that may have fallen off.

Hang it by its cord loop in a cool, breezy spot (70 degrees or less is
ideal) or in front of an electric fan; let dry for 24 hours. Remove the
shelves from the smoker, hang an oven thermometer in it, and preheat it
following the manufacturer's instructions (or, lacking instructions, preheat
for 45 minutes), adding a painful of presoaked hickory or other hardwood
chips (see page 31) after about 30 minutes. When smoke begins to emerge
from the vent, hang the pastrami in the smoker, close the door, and smoke
steadily for from 2 to 4 hours, depending on the heat your smoker produces
(2 hours will be enough if the temperature is as high as 150 degrees) and
the degree of smokiness you like; smoke the longer time if the temperature
inside the smoker is in the 100- to 120-degree range.

Cool the pastrami, then wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 or 3
days before cooking.

To cook: Cover the pastrami with a generous amount of cold water and simmer
very gently until completely tender, at least 2 hours; the exact time will
depend on the thickness of the meat.

Cool partially in the cooking water, then either serve at once or drain,
cool, and refrigerate, wrapped. To reheat cooked pastrami, slice thin (cut
on the bias slightly as you would flank steak) and steam briefly until hot
through

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 9, 9:05*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "L G" > wrote
>

> > Why would that make a difference? *I don't want to screw it up.

> Doing a small piece it will dry out. * I do full corned briskets or nothing
> to make pastrami. * If you do a small piece it will be difficujlt to tell
> what is pastrami and what is the lump of charcoal.
>
> Here are two methods
>
> What is pastrami and how do I make my own?
>
> For best results, use trimmed briskets.

<Snip most detailed instructions I'd seen yet>

Wow, a lot more work than I imagined.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 23:17:02 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> pamjd wrote:

>>> Yep
>>>

>> Why? This is a test. I'm talking about 1-2#'s.
>>

> You can't smoke 1.5lbs of brisket without it drying out. There's too
> much surface area per amount of meat.
>
> If it's a whole corned beef brisket, you could get away with carving
> off the whole point from the flat and smoking that.
>
> Or just put your foot down. You got a new smoker. Tell the wife
> she'll just have to go out and get another one if she insists on
> simmering or baking it.
>
> -sw

I got Pastrami jerky. So you were right. Is it really better with the
whole brisket?

It was also salty as hell. I'm guessing I would have to soak the meat
in water next time?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> [...]

> When smoke begins to emerge from the vent, hang the pastrami in the
> smoker, close the door, and smoke steadily for from 2 to 4 hours,
> depending on the heat your smoker produces (2 hours will be enough if
> the temperature is as high as 150 degrees) and the degree of smokiness
> you like; smoke the longer time if the temperature inside the smoker
> is in the 100- to 120-degree range.
>
> Cool the pastrami, then wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2
> or 3 days before cooking.
>
> To cook: Cover the pastrami with a generous amount of cold water and
> simmer very gently until completely tender, at least 2 hours; the
> exact time will depend on the thickness of the meat.
>
> Cool partially in the cooking water, then either serve at once or
> drain, cool, and refrigerate, wrapped. To reheat cooked pastrami,
> slice thin (cut on the bias slightly as you would flank steak) and

Thanks. I'm saving that one for next time. I've got to find Prague
powder now...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:32:40 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> Thanks. I'm saving that one for next time. I've got to find Prague
>> powder now...
>>

> I'll send you some tomorrow. Check the bushes on Friday and/or
> Saturday.
>
> -sw

10-4. Thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:39:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:10:52 -0400, mike wrote:
>
>> Dumb question time, but what is hickory salt? never heard of it
>> before

>Salt flavored with hickory smoke. Either smoked naturally, or more
>likely, added liquid smoke or dried smoke powder.
>
>My hickory salt bought in the bulk bins of Central Market is more of a
>seasoned salt. It has added red pepper and other things. I can't
>tell if it's naturally smoked or has added smoke flavor.
>
>-sw

Sounds interesting, I'll have to find some and give it a try

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:38:27 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> That's what I'm looking for - something rather easy.
>>

> Pastrami doesn't have to be that hard. The hardest part for me is
> space. Space in the fridge (especially if you brine it rather than
> dry cure) and then space in the smoker. Simply brine it like you
> would anything else, using the pink salt (and usually more kosher
> salt)..
>
> I once made some excellent pastrami using skirt steak. Brine in pink
> salt for 12 hours, then cover with pepper and crushed coriander. Then
> smoke it 300F for 40 minutes. I'm sure it was a fluke, but it turned
> out excellent. I'm afraid to try it again.
>
> For starters, try brining a fatty half pork loin in the pink salt and
> half as much sugar for 36 hours and then smoke it until it reaches
> 145-150. Canadian bacon. You can even brine a whole butt.
>
> If want easy, then the grocery store has pastrami and ham. But I know
> it's a cliché to some, but home cured food REALLY DOES tastes much
> better. And not just because you made it.
>
> -sw

I'm not ignoring you. I've been busy and I want to save all of this for
a 2nd attempt.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:37:31 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I'll send you some tomorrow. Check the bushes on Friday and/or
>>> Saturday.
>>>

>> 10-4. Thanks in advance!
>>

> You're retired now so you have plenty of ways to use it. Don't wimp
> out and be lazy. How long have you had the masterbuilt? (I'm almost
> afraid to ask). And there's nothing wrong with a propane powered
> smoker as long as there's real smoke.
>
> -sw

Got the Masterbuilt for X-Mas. The WSM is right next to it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2011 17:25:59 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>>> You're retired now so you have plenty of ways to use it. Don't wimp
>>> out and be lazy. How long have you had the masterbuilt? (I'm almost
>>> afraid to ask). And there's nothing wrong with a propane powered
>>> smoker as long as there's real smoke.
>>>

>> Got the Masterbuilt for X-Mas. The WSM is right next to it.
>>

> Well, start procrastinating and start smoking!
>
> -sw

Just smoked a large King Mackerel filet on the WSM. Great smoked fish dip!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011 20:01:55 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>>> Well, stop procrastinating and start smoking!
>>>

>> Just smoked a large King Mackerel filet on the WSM. Great smoked fish dip!
>>

> That's not exactly what I had in mind. But I guess you can't fish for
> cows. Not without a bigger boat, at least.
>
> -sw

You don't like smoked fish?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 20:18:14 -0400, L G wrote:
>

>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>>> That's not exactly what I had in mind. But I guess you can't fish for
>>> cows. Not without a bigger boat, at least.
>>>

>> You don't like smoked fish?
>>

> I smoke fish all teh time, but I wouldn't know where to get mackeral
> fillets.
>
> Did you get my email reply the other day? Don't want you to think I
> was ignoring you if you didn't get it.
>
> -sw

I did and responded today. Thanks.

King Mackerel is different than others. They often call the larger ones
"Smoker Kings".

What kind of fish do you smoke?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet,

Here is a repost from some time ago by Ed. I saved it for the recipe.
Thanks again Ed.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 00:05:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> [...]

>from the vent, hang the pastrami in the smoker, close the door, and smoke
>steadily for from 2 to 4 hours, depending on the heat your smoker produces
>(2 hours will be enough if the temperature is as high as 150 degrees) and
>the degree of smokiness you like; smoke the longer time if the temperature
>inside the smoker is in the 100- to 120-degree range.
>
>Cool the pastrami, then wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 or 3
>days before cooking.
>
>To cook: Cover the pastrami with a generous amount of cold water and simmer
>very gently until completely tender, at least 2 hours; the exact time will
>depend on the thickness of the meat.
>
>Cool partially in the cooking water, then either serve at once or drain,
>cool, and refrigerate, wrapped. To reheat cooked pastrami, slice thin (cut
>on the bias slightly as you would flank steak) and steam briefly until hot

Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/9/2012 6:25 AM, wrote:
> [...]

>>from the vent, hang the pastrami in the smoker, close the door, and smoke
>> steadily for from 2 to 4 hours, depending on the heat your smoker produces
>> (2 hours will be enough if the temperature is as high as 150 degrees) and
>> the degree of smokiness you like; smoke the longer time if the temperature
>> inside the smoker is in the 100- to 120-degree range.
>>
>> Cool the pastrami, then wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 or 3
>> days before cooking.
>>
>> To cook: Cover the pastrami with a generous amount of cold water and simmer
>> very gently until completely tender, at least 2 hours; the exact time will
>> depend on the thickness of the meat.
>>
>> Cool partially in the cooking water, then either serve at once or drain,
>> cool, and refrigerate, wrapped. To reheat cooked pastrami, slice thin (cut
>> on the bias slightly as you would flank steak) and steam briefly until hot

Thanks. I saved it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pico Rico" > wrote:

> But, if you cook it after smoking, covered in water, won't the rubbed spices
> wash off?

My one fiftieth of a dollar?
A one-day soak has always reduced the salt enough for me.
Hot smoke it and slice it. Why futz with it more than necessary?

monroe(apparently not as picky as some)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Monday, April 11, 2011 8:31:00 PM UTC-4, L G wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Why? This is a test. I'm talking about 1-2#'s.
> >>

> > You can't smoke 1.5lbs of brisket without it drying out. There's too
> > much surface area per amount of meat.
> >
> > If it's a whole corned beef brisket, you could get away with carving
> > off the whole point from the flat and smoking that.
> >
> > Or just put your foot down. You got a new smoker. Tell the wife
> > she'll just have to go out and get another one if she insists on
> > simmering or baking it.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> I got Pastrami jerky. So you were right. Is it really better with the
> whole brisket?
>
> It was also salty as hell. I'm guessing I would have to soak the meat
> in water next time?

My husband soaks ours and changes the water over a 2 day period, keeping it in the refrig. Just plain water for the soak. And then he cooks like a brisket. Good Luck, they are really good, may still be a little salty.
Nan in DE

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/9/2012 9:46 AM, monroe, of course wrote:
> "Pico > wrote:
>

>> But, if you cook it after smoking, covered in water, won't the rubbed spices
>> wash off?

> My one fiftieth of a dollar?
> A one-day soak has always reduced the salt enough for me.
> Hot smoke it and slice it. Why futz with it more than necessary?
>
> monroe(apparently not as picky as some)

I never even soak it. I just don't add anything else to it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Shawn Martin > wrote:

> I never even soak it. I just don't add anything else to it.

I may be mistook,but I think a 24hr soak plumps it up a tad.
Rub with cracked BP and coriander and,FWIW,I like alder smoke best.

monroe(strami's s'posed to be salty)

pastrami Pico Rico Barbecue 4 05-11-2010 07:44 PM
pastrami for NB modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 6 02-12-2008 10:33 PM
Thank you Dee!! Pastrami Nancy Young General Cooking 16 29-01-2006 10:33 PM
Pastrami Mike \Piedmont\ Recipes (moderated) 0 04-11-2005 04:06 AM