Old 28-02-2011, 11:52 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default natural gas grill?

we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have no
idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think if
there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
activities ? Lee

Old 28-02-2011, 12:23 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
type activities ? Lee

There certainly is, or was such a thing. Back in 1969, we had a house built
in Dallas,
and the gas company offered us a gas grille at a very low cost to be paid
off with
$2 or $3 a month on our bill. It worked fine for steaks, just like any
other gas grille.
As a matter of fact, when we moved, we took it with us. I guess we capped
the
gas line going to it, I just don't recall.

I think I'd call the gas company serving you and see what they have.

Bob-tx

Old 28-02-2011, 01:35 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, as i think of these things i write them down, in our area we have
power outages in the spring and fall because of storms, while its something
we probably wouldn't use too often on a regular cooking day, i was thinking
that no power might make it easier to live through it if we could at least
grill a steak or chop... i have added this to my list of questions. Lee

Old 28-02-2011, 04:08 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Feb 28, 6:52*am, "Storrmmee" wrote:
we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have no
idea. *is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think if
there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
house. *I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
activities ? *Lee

They are not cheap, and you have to run a line.
Used to be able to buy them from gas company, along with lights and
air
conditioners.

greg
Old 28-02-2011, 04:11 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 28, 8:35*am, "Storrmmee" wrote:
thanks, as i think of these things i write them down, in our area we have
power outages in the spring and fall because of storms, while its something
we probably wouldn't use too often on a regular cooking day, i was thinking
that no power might make it easier to live through it if we could at least
grill a steak or chop... i have added this to my list of questions. *Lee
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in ink.net...

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

They are around and have been for at least 40 years. We had one in
Lakewood NJ that long ago, and cooked on it all winter. Very
convenient!! Go fer it!!

Old 28-02-2011, 04:15 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks,

i was thinking since they have to run all the gas lines again it might be
cheaper to get it all done at once, even if i just got the fittings and we
saved up to pay cash for the grill, Lee

Old 28-02-2011, 06:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.sport.football.college

My mom gave my dad a natural gas lighter for father's day
once. It was a Bic-type lighter with a tube connected to
it. The other end of the tube had a plug with an opening
that you were to stick up your butt, so every time you
farted you could flic your Bic.

--Tedard

Old 28-02-2011, 10:01 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
type activities ? Lee

I have a Nat gas grill that we use year round here in Chicago. They don't
run as hot as propane but given the convenience that's an acceptable trade
off for me. We use one of these when we need a sear
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre...8930329&sr=1-2.
The Weber Nat gas grill we bought in 2006 has been used weekly since and
have only had to replace igniter during that time which Weber replaced at no
charge. I had a straight shot and a capped gas pipe in our last house and I
ran the line for about $30 in pipe & fittings. When we moved these was no
easy access to run a line and it cost me about $350 to have it installed.
During the hot months of summer we use it instead of the kitchen stove.
We're able to do roasts and with the side burner we can cook almost anything
we can do on the kitchen stove. Lately we've discovered the below item
indispensible for cooking fish, meat and vegetables.

http://www.amazon.com/06034X-Platinu...8930168&sr=1-2

Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
type activities ? Lee

All of the better brands of grill can be adapted to natural gas. It has to
be mounted permanently, not on wheels. Very convenient compared to swapping
bottles. This is the time to do it.

You probably won't get much information at a big box store for the $119
model, but a Weber dealer can fix you up. If I had gas, I'd certainly do
it.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
grilling type activities ? Lee

All of the better brands of grill can be adapted to natural gas. It has
to be mounted permanently, not on wheels. Very convenient compared to
swapping bottles. This is the time to do it.

You probably won't get much information at a big box store for the $119
model, but a Weber dealer can fix you up. If I had gas, I'd certainly do
it.

The Nat gas grill I've have had at two homes is\was not permanently mounted
and I'm not aware of any ordinances that require it. I'm glad I didn't have
it permanently mounted in the first place as it simplified moving it to the
new home.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, we are really trying to think of all of these sorts of things, not
only because we figure it will cost less during building, but if included in
the house, no seperate expenses, Lee

Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tom" wrote

The Nat gas grill I've have had at two homes is\was not permanently
mounted and I'm not aware of any ordinances that require it. I'm glad I
didn't have it permanently mounted in the first place as it simplified
moving it to the new home.

So, if you are not aware of a code, it does not exist? Rather than advise
differently, the homeowner should check the local gas company and/or
building inspector. Here, it must be immobile.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"tom" wrote

The Nat gas grill I've have had at two homes is\was not permanently
mounted and I'm not aware of any ordinances that require it. I'm glad I
didn't have it permanently mounted in the first place as it simplified
moving it to the new home.

So, if you are not aware of a code, it does not exist? Rather than advise
differently, the homeowner should check the local gas company and/or
building inspector. Here, it must be immobile.

I searched our village code. They mention where a grill can be placed but
make no mention of a permanent installation.