Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default natural gas grill?

we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have no
idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think if
there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
activities ? Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
> we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
> type activities ? Lee

There certainly is, or was such a thing. Back in 1969, we had a house built
in Dallas,
and the gas company offered us a gas grille at a very low cost to be paid
off with
$2 or $3 a month on our bill. It worked fine for steaks, just like any
other gas grille.
As a matter of fact, when we moved, we took it with us. I guess we capped
the
gas line going to it, I just don't recall.

I think I'd call the gas company serving you and see what they have.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, as i think of these things i write them down, in our area we have
power outages in the spring and fall because of storms, while its something
we probably wouldn't use too often on a regular cooking day, i was thinking
that no power might make it easier to live through it if we could at least
grill a steak or chop... i have added this to my list of questions. Lee
"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee

> There certainly is, or was such a thing. Back in 1969, we had a house
> built in Dallas,
> and the gas company offered us a gas grille at a very low cost to be paid
> off with
> $2 or $3 a month on our bill. It worked fine for steaks, just like any
> other gas grille.
> As a matter of fact, when we moved, we took it with us. I guess we capped
> the
> gas line going to it, I just don't recall.
>
> I think I'd call the gas company serving you and see what they have.
>
> Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Feb 28, 6:52*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have no
> idea. *is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think if
> there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
> house. *I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
> able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
> activities ? *Lee

They are not cheap, and you have to run a line.
Used to be able to buy them from gas company, along with lights and
air
conditioners.

greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 28, 8:35*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> thanks, as i think of these things i write them down, in our area we have
> power outages in the spring and fall because of storms, while its something
> we probably wouldn't use too often on a regular cooking day, i was thinking
> that no power might make it easier to live through it if we could at least
> grill a steak or chop... i have added this to my list of questions. *Lee
> "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in ink.net...
>

> > "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> >> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
> >> no idea. *is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
> >> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
> >> rebuild the house. *I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
> >> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
> >> grilling type activities ? *Lee

> > There certainly is, or was such a thing. Back in 1969, we had a house
> > built in Dallas,
> > and the gas company offered us a gas grille at a very low cost to be paid
> > off with
> > $2 or $3 a month on our bill. *It worked fine for steaks, just like any
> > other gas grille.
> > As a matter of fact, when we moved, we took it with us. *I guess we capped
> > the
> > gas line going to it, I just don't recall.

> > I think I'd call the gas company serving you and see what they have.

> > Bob-tx

They are around and have been for at least 40 years. We had one in
Lakewood NJ that long ago, and cooked on it all winter. Very
convenient!! Go fer it!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks,

i was thinking since they have to run all the gas lines again it might be
cheaper to get it all done at once, even if i just got the fittings and we
saved up to pay cash for the grill, Lee
"Olde Hippee" > wrote in message
On Feb 28, 8:35 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> thanks, as i think of these things i write them down, in our area we have
> power outages in the spring and fall because of storms, while its
> something
> we probably wouldn't use too often on a regular cooking day, i was
> thinking
> that no power might make it easier to live through it if we could at least
> grill a steak or chop... i have added this to my list of questions. Lee
> "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in
> ink.net...
>

> > "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> >> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly
> >> have
> >> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
> >> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
> >> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
> >> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
> >> grilling type activities ? Lee

> > There certainly is, or was such a thing. Back in 1969, we had a house
> > built in Dallas,
> > and the gas company offered us a gas grille at a very low cost to be
> > paid
> > off with
> > $2 or $3 a month on our bill. It worked fine for steaks, just like any
> > other gas grille.
> > As a matter of fact, when we moved, we took it with us. I guess we
> > capped
> > the
> > gas line going to it, I just don't recall.

> > I think I'd call the gas company serving you and see what they have.

> > Bob-tx

They are around and have been for at least 40 years. We had one in
Lakewood NJ that long ago, and cooked on it all winter. Very
convenient!! Go fer it!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, they are going to have to run everything so i figured it might not
cost as much to do it all at once, Lee
"Gz" > wrote in message
On Feb 28, 6:52 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
> no
> idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think
> if
> there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
> house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
> able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
> activities ? Lee

They are not cheap, and you have to run a line.
Used to be able to buy them from gas company, along with lights and
air
conditioners.

greg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.sport.football.college

My mom gave my dad a natural gas lighter for father's day
once. It was a Bic-type lighter with a tube connected to
it. The other end of the tube had a plug with an opening
that you were to stick up your butt, so every time you
farted you could flic your Bic.

--Tedard

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
> we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
> type activities ? Lee

I have a Nat gas grill that we use year round here in Chicago. They don't
run as hot as propane but given the convenience that's an acceptable trade
off for me. We use one of these when we need a sear
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre...8930329&sr=1-2.
The Weber Nat gas grill we bought in 2006 has been used weekly since and
have only had to replace igniter during that time which Weber replaced at no
charge. I had a straight shot and a capped gas pipe in our last house and I
ran the line for about $30 in pipe & fittings. When we moved these was no
easy access to run a line and it cost me about $350 to have it installed.
During the hot months of summer we use it instead of the kitchen stove.
We're able to do roasts and with the side burner we can cook almost anything
we can do on the kitchen stove. Lately we've discovered the below item
indispensible for cooking fish, meat and vegetables.

http://www.amazon.com/06034X-Platinu...8930168&sr=1-2

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
> we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
> type activities ? Lee

All of the better brands of grill can be adapted to natural gas. It has to
be mounted permanently, not on wheels. Very convenient compared to swapping
bottles. This is the time to do it.

You probably won't get much information at a big box store for the $119
model, but a Weber dealer can fix you up. If I had gas, I'd certainly do
it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee
>>

> All of the better brands of grill can be adapted to natural gas. It has
> to be mounted permanently, not on wheels. Very convenient compared to
> swapping bottles. This is the time to do it.
>
> You probably won't get much information at a big box store for the $119
> model, but a Weber dealer can fix you up. If I had gas, I'd certainly do
> it.

The Nat gas grill I've have had at two homes is\was not permanently mounted
and I'm not aware of any ordinances that require it. I'm glad I didn't have
it permanently mounted in the first place as it simplified moving it to the
new home.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, i thought about it as a "stove" for tornado weather, we live close
to springfield IL... the cooking in the heat would be a bonus, Lee
"tom" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee

> I have a Nat gas grill that we use year round here in Chicago. They don't
> run as hot as propane but given the convenience that's an acceptable trade
> off for me. We use one of these when we need a sear
> http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre...8930329&sr=1-2.
> The Weber Nat gas grill we bought in 2006 has been used weekly since and
> have only had to replace igniter during that time which Weber replaced at
> no charge. I had a straight shot and a capped gas pipe in our last house
> and I ran the line for about $30 in pipe & fittings. When we moved these
> was no easy access to run a line and it cost me about $350 to have it
> installed. During the hot months of summer we use it instead of the
> kitchen stove. We're able to do roasts and with the side burner we can
> cook almost anything we can do on the kitchen stove. Lately we've
> discovered the below item indispensible for cooking fish, meat and
> vegetables.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/06034X-Platinu...8930168&sr=1-2

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, we are really trying to think of all of these sorts of things, not
only because we figure it will cost less during building, but if included in
the house, no seperate expenses, Lee
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee
>>

> All of the better brands of grill can be adapted to natural gas. It has
> to be mounted permanently, not on wheels. Very convenient compared to
> swapping bottles. This is the time to do it.
>
> You probably won't get much information at a big box store for the $119
> model, but a Weber dealer can fix you up. If I had gas, I'd certainly do
> it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tom" > wrote

> The Nat gas grill I've have had at two homes is\was not permanently
> mounted and I'm not aware of any ordinances that require it. I'm glad I
> didn't have it permanently mounted in the first place as it simplified
> moving it to the new home.

So, if you are not aware of a code, it does not exist? Rather than advise
differently, the homeowner should check the local gas company and/or
building inspector. Here, it must be immobile.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "tom" > wrote
>>
>> The Nat gas grill I've have had at two homes is\was not permanently
>> mounted and I'm not aware of any ordinances that require it. I'm glad I
>> didn't have it permanently mounted in the first place as it simplified
>> moving it to the new home.

> So, if you are not aware of a code, it does not exist? Rather than advise
> differently, the homeowner should check the local gas company and/or
> building inspector. Here, it must be immobile.

I searched our village code. They mention where a grill can be placed but
make no mention of a permanent installation.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 28, 11:11*am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> They are around and have been for at least 40 years. *We had one in
> Lakewood NJ that long ago, and cooked on it all winter. Very
> convenient!! *Go fer it

My gas grill is hooked up to the house, after switching 8 years ago
I'd never want to switch back to bottled propane.

Cam
I'd like to convert my fridge to draft beer.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it
> we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling
> type activities ? Lee

My primary reason for going with Nat gas was that in1999 we had a fire as a
result from a failure in the flexible line the connected our propane tank to
our gas grill. The firemen on scene were even unable to shut down this tank
spewing a 6' flame against the back of the house till the tank burned itself
out. Yes, I'm aware the grill shouldn't have been that close to the house
but if you look around many of them are. When we got moved back into our
house I opted for Nat gas with very accessible and quick shut offs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks so much, this was another concern, the dh isn't all that interested
in grilling, and i am the one keen on smoking so this wouldn't be used
often, but having witness fire up close and personal, the safer the better,
Lee
"tom" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee

> My primary reason for going with Nat gas was that in1999 we had a fire as
> a result from a failure in the flexible line the connected our propane
> tank to our gas grill. The firemen on scene were even unable to shut down
> this tank spewing a 6' flame against the back of the house till the tank
> burned itself out. Yes, I'm aware the grill shouldn't have been that close
> to the house but if you look around many of them are. When we got moved
> back into our house I opted for Nat gas with very accessible and quick
> shut offs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tom wrote:

> My primary reason for going with Nat gas was that in1999 we had a fire
> as a result from a failure in the flexible line the connected our
> propane tank to our gas grill. The firemen on scene were even unable to
> shut down this tank spewing a 6' flame against the back of the house
> till the tank burned itself out. Yes, I'm aware the grill shouldn't have
> been that close to the house but if you look around many of them are.
> When we got moved back into our house I opted for Nat gas with very
> accessible and quick shut offs.

The scenario you describe has always worried me about propane. The tanks
are outside and deteriorate from weather exposure. I just don't
use my grill as much lately so the tanks don't get replaced as much. This
makes me even more hesitant to use them.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Mort" > wrote in message
> tom wrote:
>
>> My primary reason for going with Nat gas was that in1999 we had a fire
>> as a result from a failure in the flexible line the connected our
>> propane tank to our gas grill. The firemen on scene were even unable to
>> shut down this tank spewing a 6' flame against the back of the house
>> till the tank burned itself out. Yes, I'm aware the grill shouldn't have
>> been that close to the house but if you look around many of them are.
>> When we got moved back into our house I opted for Nat gas with very
>> accessible and quick shut offs.

> The scenario you describe has always worried me about propane. The tanks
> are outside and deteriorate from weather exposure. I just don't
> use my grill as much lately so the tanks don't get replaced as much. This
> makes me even more hesitant to use them.

It had never crossed my mind till it happened to us. The restoration company
that repaired our home said ours was the 3rd propane fire they'd worked on
that summer. The other 2 were a garage fire and a gazebo fire caused by
propane grills. Our tank didn't seem to be the cause. The ins company sent a
CSI kind of service over after the fire to analyze what happened and I
helped him reconstruct the grill, valves, burners & tank and all seemed fine
but obviously the flexible connection line was gone so he\we assumed that
was the faulty part.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 05:52:27 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have no
>idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think if
>there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
>house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
>able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
>activities ? Lee

Just to throw my 2 cents in, since you are building a house, most
definitely run gas to the patio. From what I have read previously of
your plans, it looks like you are planning a pretty nice cooking area
out there already, and having gas available may come in handy whether
now or for some unforeseen future endeavor.

Natural gas grills have been around for a while, and if you go with
something that will last (I like Webber) you may find that you use it
more than you thought you would.

I have a smoker that I love, but I wouldn't give up my gasser for
anything. We use it a lot for anything from steaks, to burgers,
brats, ham steaks, hot dogs, pork chops/loin or anything else that we
can think of.

I have also seen outdoor flat tops that use gas, although I can't
point you to a source because I never looked into one too seriously,
but if I was building a house, I would consider one for making
Japanese steak house type food.

Main point is that putting in gas while the rest is being done is much
cheaper than deciding to try an add on later.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Worked on one today. My MIL and Father in Law. They had
bought it 30 years ago from the public gas company. As a
present we snuck onto their porch this summer and snatched
it. They were re staining the porch and we thought this
would be a great Fathers/Mothers Day present.

Stripped the thing with a wire brush and repainted with high
temp paint. They got new burners and grate. Installed it
this weekend and the tubes had plugged up. Now I have
cleaned all the tubes and they intend on using for a
Brother's 40th birthday this Sunday.

I'd say go with it, think relative to the proximity of a gas
line inside the house. The under the deck pipe runs right
into a closet that has their gas hot water heater. "T" off
from there. About a 12' run. The piping is professionally
done. It has cast iron pipe to the out side and a turn
off/on valve. The it has pressure fit/flanged/nut connection
to a flexible copper feed line right to the gas valve of the
grill.

Craig

They are thrilled.

Storrmmee wrote:
> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have no
> idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think if
> there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
> house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
> able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
> activities ? Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

that is what prompted me to post, I am trying to think of everything like
this as we build, even if we wait to get the grill, as i think a bed might
be higher on the list, lol, i also have it in the plans for gas to go to the
laundry and kitchen even though i prefer an el dryer and DH is leaning to an
el stove, i figure if its run and we want a change or want to sell later it
will be positive either way,

as a small aside all of this gas running got started as dh and i discussed
fitting for the cat genis we want, now its in the plans for having three of
them, but they are quite pricey so it will be one of those things we save
for and get when we can, but having a plumber come every time we want to
install one would triple the cost,

Lee
"mike" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 05:52:27 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>>no
>>idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you think
>>if
>>there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we rebuild the
>>house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got it we would be
>>able to cook if the power went out along with regular grilling type
>>activities ? Lee
>>

> Just to throw my 2 cents in, since you are building a house, most
> definitely run gas to the patio. From what I have read previously of
> your plans, it looks like you are planning a pretty nice cooking area
> out there already, and having gas available may come in handy whether
> now or for some unforeseen future endeavor.
>
> Natural gas grills have been around for a while, and if you go with
> something that will last (I like Webber) you may find that you use it
> more than you thought you would.
>
> I have a smoker that I love, but I wouldn't give up my gasser for
> anything. We use it a lot for anything from steaks, to burgers,
> brats, ham steaks, hot dogs, pork chops/loin or anything else that we
> can think of.
>
> I have also seen outdoor flat tops that use gas, although I can't
> point you to a source because I never looked into one too seriously,
> but if I was building a house, I would consider one for making
> Japanese steak house type food.
>
> Main point is that putting in gas while the rest is being done is much
> cheaper than deciding to try an add on later.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

what a nice present, Lee
"Craig Watts" > wrote in message
> Worked on one today. My MIL and Father in Law. They had bought it 30 years
> ago from the public gas company. As a present we snuck onto their porch
> this summer and snatched it. They were re staining the porch and we
> thought this would be a great Fathers/Mothers Day present.
>
> Stripped the thing with a wire brush and repainted with high temp paint.
> They got new burners and grate. Installed it this weekend and the tubes
> had plugged up. Now I have cleaned all the tubes and they intend on using
> for a Brother's 40th birthday this Sunday.
>
> I'd say go with it, think relative to the proximity of a gas line inside
> the house. The under the deck pipe runs right into a closet that has their
> gas hot water heater. "T" off from there. About a 12' run. The piping is
> professionally done. It has cast iron pipe to the out side and a turn
> off/on valve. The it has pressure fit/flanged/nut connection to a flexible
> copper feed line right to the gas valve of the grill.
>
> Craig
>
> They are thrilled.
>
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 3, 1:17*pm, mike > wrote:

> I have a smoker that I love, but I wouldn't give up my gasser for
> anything. *

Have been given 2 gassers as gifts, gave em both away for nothing.

<eg>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/4/2011 7:18 AM, tutall wrote:
> On Mar 3, 1:17 pm, > wrote:
>
>> I have a smoker that I love, but I wouldn't give up my gasser for
>> anything.

> Have been given 2 gassers as gifts, gave em both away for nothing.
>
> <eg>

Time and place for everything. I like to smoke but
for a steak few things work better than my TEC
Cherokee IR grill.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

One of many Weber Gas Grills that are available equip[ed for natural gas.

http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_d...x?glid=2&mid=6

Paul Mann

On 3/4/11 1:23 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> what a nice present, Lee
> "Craig > wrote in message
>> Worked on one today. My MIL and Father in Law. They had bought it 30 years
>> ago from the public gas company. As a present we snuck onto their porch
>> this summer and snatched it. They were re staining the porch and we
>> thought this would be a great Fathers/Mothers Day present.
>>
>> Stripped the thing with a wire brush and repainted with high temp paint.
>> They got new burners and grate. Installed it this weekend and the tubes
>> had plugged up. Now I have cleaned all the tubes and they intend on using
>> for a Brother's 40th birthday this Sunday.
>>
>> I'd say go with it, think relative to the proximity of a gas line inside
>> the house. The under the deck pipe runs right into a closet that has their
>> gas hot water heater. "T" off from there. About a 12' run. The piping is
>> professionally done. It has cast iron pipe to the out side and a turn
>> off/on valve. The it has pressure fit/flanged/nut connection to a flexible
>> copper feed line right to the gas valve of the grill.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> They are thrilled.
>>
>> Storrmmee wrote:
>>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>>> grilling type activities ? Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks, will save this for dh to look at, Lee
"Paul Mann" > wrote in message
> One of many Weber Gas Grills that are available equip[ed for natural gas.
>
> http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_d...x?glid=2&mid=6
>
> Paul Mann
>

> On 3/4/11 1:23 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> what a nice present, Lee
>> "Craig > wrote in message
>>> Worked on one today. My MIL and Father in Law. They had bought it 30
>>> years
>>> ago from the public gas company. As a present we snuck onto their porch
>>> this summer and snatched it. They were re staining the porch and we
>>> thought this would be a great Fathers/Mothers Day present.
>>>
>>> Stripped the thing with a wire brush and repainted with high temp paint.
>>> They got new burners and grate. Installed it this weekend and the tubes
>>> had plugged up. Now I have cleaned all the tubes and they intend on
>>> using
>>> for a Brother's 40th birthday this Sunday.
>>>
>>> I'd say go with it, think relative to the proximity of a gas line inside
>>> the house. The under the deck pipe runs right into a closet that has
>>> their
>>> gas hot water heater. "T" off from there. About a 12' run. The piping is
>>> professionally done. It has cast iron pipe to the out side and a turn
>>> off/on valve. The it has pressure fit/flanged/nut connection to a
>>> flexible
>>> copper feed line right to the gas valve of the grill.
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>
>>> They are thrilled.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> we are working on the house and i just thought of this, and honestly have
>> no idea. is there such a thing as a natural gas grill and what do you
>> think if there is such a thing of getting the fittings put in when we
>> rebuild the house. I was thinking if there was such a thing and we got
>> it we would be able to cook if the power went out along with regular
>> grilling type activities ? Lee
>>

> All of the better brands of grill can be adapted to natural gas. It has
> to be mounted permanently, not on wheels. Very convenient compared to
> swapping bottles. This is the time to do it.
>
> You probably won't get much information at a big box store for the $119
> model, but a Weber dealer can fix you up. If I had gas, I'd certainly do
> it.

My experience with Weber Customer Service has been very positive. That alone
would make Weber a good choice if you are thinking about shifting your gas
source. Also, I would think Weber has done the proper homework about the
propane to natural gas shift. This may be more than just putting in bigger
jets. I don't think methane burns at the same temperature as propane.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote

> My experience with Weber Customer Service has been very positive. That
> alone would make Weber a good choice if you are thinking about shifting
> your gas source. Also, I would think Weber has done the proper homework
> about the propane to natural gas shift. This may be more than just putting
> in bigger jets. I don't think methane burns at the same temperature as
> propane.
>
> Kent

Jets and regulator. 30,000 Btu is 30,000 Btu. You just need the right flow.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote
>>>

>> My experience with Weber Customer Service has been very positive. That
>> alone would make Weber a good choice if you are thinking about shifting
>> your gas source. Also, I would think Weber has done the proper homework
>> about the propane to natural gas shift. This may be more than just
>> putting in bigger jets. I don't think methane burns at the same
>> temperature as propane.
>>
>> Kent

> Jets and regulator. 30,000 Btu is 30,000 Btu. You just need the right
> flow.

The question is, I think, is the infrared output from a propane flame the
same as from a the methane flame? Is there a difference in infrared heat
between a methane heat source and a propane heat source? Charing of meat at
a high temperature requires infrared radiation to sear, or char the steak.
That's why charcoal sears better than propane. It has more infrared heat.

Kent

Member

All the best brands of grills can be adapted to natural gas. This should
be installed on a permanent basis. It is very convenient compared to the replacement
bottles.

You'll probably get more information on Top 20 Best Selling Natural Gas Grills 2010-2011 | Top Best Price

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storrmmee View Post