Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Questions for all

On 13-Jan-2011, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> ?
> "Gz" > wrote
> >> Here I was before Christmas. I decided I wanted to
> >> cook a ham, then found out nobody sells hams to
> >> cook. Well at least the groceries do not sell ham.
> >> What the deal ????
> >>
> >> I always remember my mother cooking ham with all the clove inserts.
> >>
> >> greg

> > Then, they seem to sell mostly smoked ham, and it does NOT LOOK LIKE
> > SMOKED HAM. Whats the deal ??
> >
> > greg

> You need to clarify what you are looking for a bit. There are fresh hams
> and cured (smoked) hams.
>
> Fresh hams are just a big pork roast from the back leg. They are not in
> the
> stores all that often, mostly appearing at Easter and Christmas. Cured
> hams
> are brine injected and cold smoked so they don't look like the ham from
> your
> smoker.

What Ed said about hams. Fresh hams are almost never seen in the
supermarkets
here. They do have all manner of cured hams and from a variety of vendors. I
do
have ready access to fresh hams from two sources. One is a full service
butcher
just a few miles from the house and the other is about 45 miles away. Those
two
sources offer all cuts up to and including whole hogs. The closest one does
not
routinely put whole shoulders in the case, but I can have one simply by
asking
and might have to wait until the next day to pick it up. They don't prewrap
any-
thing an cheerfully custom cut whatever the customer asks for.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> What Ed said about hams. Fresh hams are almost never seen in the
> supermarkets
> here. They do have all manner of cured hams and from a variety of vendors. I
> do
> have ready access to fresh hams from two sources. One is a full service
> butcher
> just a few miles from the house and the other is about 45 miles away. Those
> two
> sources offer all cuts up to and including whole hogs. The closest one does
> not
> routinely put whole shoulders in the case, but I can have one simply by
> asking
> and might have to wait until the next day to pick it up. They don't prewrap
> any-
> thing an cheerfully custom cut whatever the customer asks for.

Brick,

Cindy and I did a fresh ham for Easter one time with cloves
plugged into it.

<never again> We even threw out the left overs.

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Craig Watts wrote:
>> What Ed said about hams. Fresh hams are almost never seen in the
>> supermarkets

> Cindy and I did a fresh ham for Easter one time with cloves
> plugged into it.
>
> <never again> We even threw out the left overs.

Can you shed any enlightenment on that? What did you do/'not do' that
caused the result you got? What was it that you didn't like about what you
did?

Just curious...

Dusty
--
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual
ignorance." -- Henry Louis Mencken

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Can you shed any enlightenment on that? What did you do/'not do' that
> caused the result you got? What was it that you didn't like about what you
> did?
>
> Just curious...
>
> Dusty

It was the taste of the fresh ham itself. It was like it was
brined or something. It wasn't like just pork, it had a
taste to it like it was cured or something.

I do plenty of pork butts and whole hog BBQ's and this meat
had no similarity.

Craig

Questions for all Craig Watts[_2_] Barbecue 2 16-01-2011 12:43 AM
Questions for all Pico Rico Barbecue 7 16-01-2011 12:30 AM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
So hey, I have a few questions Peri Meno General Cooking 17 07-10-2006 08:30 PM
2 questions Steph G.B General Cooking 8 20-01-2004 03:48 AM