Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

Default My Philosophy

I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. The sun
may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
eventually die as their own sun dies. And then there is the looming
threat of Universe contraction. And if the Universe does not
contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
dark night without star light star bright. What a ****in' future.
Ribs anyone?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

In alt.philosophy ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount" > wrote:
> I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. The sun
> may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
> And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
> eventually die as their own sun dies. And then there is the looming
> threat of Universe contraction. And if the Universe does not
> contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
> dark night without star light star bright. What a ****in' future.
> Ribs anyone?

Not to worry. They'll turn off the simulation LONG before it stops
being interesting.

--
[Pushing the button:]
You are now in the killfile.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 1:05*am, wrote:
> In alt.philosophy ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount" > wrote:
>
> > I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. *The sun
> > may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
> > And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
> > eventually die as their own sun dies. *And then there is the looming
> > threat of Universe contraction. *And if the Universe does not
> > contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
> > dark night without star light star bright. *What a ****in' future.
> > Ribs anyone?

> Not to worry. They'll turn off the simulation LONG before it stops
> being interesting.

So you are saying that we are part of a simulation? Who is running
this simulation?

> --
> [Pushing the button:]
> You are now in the killfile.

Oh come on now. That little post should not have upset you so. I
only meant for you to ponder the future.

> * -- John J Stafford >, 09 Dec 2010 19:21:27 -0600

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

In alt.philosophy ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount" > wrote:
>> [Pushing the button:]
>> You are now in the killfile.

> Oh come on now. That little post should not have upset you so. I
> only meant for you to ponder the future.

Don't worry, I assumed you were lying. It would not be consistent with your
personality type to miss out on anything people might be saying behind
your back.

--
You are now in the killfile.
-- John J Stafford (aka parkstreetbooboo) >, 09 Dec 2010 19:21:27 -0600
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 1:32*am, wrote:
> In alt.philosophy ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount" > wrote:
>
> >> [Pushing the button:]
> >> You are now in the killfile.

> > Oh come on now. *That little post should not have upset you so. *I
> > only meant for you to ponder the future.

> Don't worry, I assumed you were lying. It would not be consistent with your
> personality type to miss out on anything people might be saying behind
> your back.

Lying? You can point out where I was lying? Then do so.

> --
> You are now in the killfile.
> * -- John J Stafford (aka parkstreetbooboo) >, 09 Dec 2010 19:21:27 -0600

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:02:46 -0800 (PST), ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount" >
wrote:

>I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. The sun
>may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
>And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
>eventually die as their own sun dies. And then there is the looming
>threat of Universe contraction. And if the Universe does not
>contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
>dark night without star light star bright. What a ****in' future.
>Ribs anyone?

Everything is temporary, even here and now,even ribs.
Practicing some meaning giving stories may help.
As autonomous information structures, 'humans' operate
under constraints, as they are insane. The insanity is still there,
though the constraints of the hunter-gatherer are not.
The mystery of the fact of existence, now, also remains. Resolution
is not available, to me.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 12:02*am, ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount"
> wrote:
> I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. *The sun
> may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
> And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
> eventually die as their own sun dies. *And then there is the looming
> threat of Universe contraction. *And if the Universe does not
> contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
> dark night without star light star bright. *What a ****in' future.
> Ribs anyone?

If you're worried about the Sun going Red Giant and the universe
contracting,
you must be expecting to live for a long, long time.

If you live that long, you will have done the supernatural, and
so will have the universe.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

In alt.philosophy Omelet > wrote:
> The white mice...

Truth can be stranger than fiction.

This is a serious argument in cosmology and at least gets a hearing
in "groupie" pubs like New Scientist. I note there is even a website
or 2 that has latched onto "the simulation argument". No doubt
theists will be happy.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

--
[Complainer's syndrome:]
What, exactly, are you complaining about. [...] So, what's the complaint?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 6:52*am, Sir Frederick Martin >
wrote:

> Everything is temporary,

Nothing is temporary. Once it exists it will always have existed. That
will always be true and nothing will ever change that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 8:35*am, wrote:
> In alt.philosophy Omelet > wrote:
>
> > The white mice...

> Truth can be stranger than fiction.
>
> This is a serious argument in cosmology and at least gets a hearing
> in "groupie" pubs like New Scientist. I note there is even a website
> or 2 that has latched onto "the simulation argument". No doubt
> theists will be happy.
>
> http://www.simulation-argument.com/

It is not really an argument for or against a deity as the simulators
themselves may not be God or know if God exists or not.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy
ZX ZX is offline

On 12/22/2010 1:02 AM, .?"PunctuationIsParamount wrote:
> I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. The sun
> may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
> And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
> eventually die as their own sun dies. And then there is the looming
> threat of Universe contraction. And if the Universe does not
> contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
> dark night without star light star bright. What a ****in' future.
> Ribs anyone?

'We' or most of 'we', live our lives inside various perspectives of
finite limits where all futures hold some sort of termination. So seeing
universal contraction as a threat is exactly the same as seeing any form
of death as a threat. Since you may be posting from alt.food.barbecue it
would make sense then that yours is a very long term outlook.

Beside, the earth does not die. It gets done.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:24:35 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount" > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 22, 1:05*am, wrote:

>> > Not to worry. They'll turn off the simulation LONG before it stops
>> > being interesting.
>> >

>> So you are saying that we are part of a simulation? Who is running
>> this simulation?
>>

>The white mice...

42

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 1:20*pm, Giga2 > wrote:
> On Dec 22, 8:35*am, wrote:> In alt.philosophy Omelet > wrote:

> > > The white mice...

> > Truth can be stranger than fiction.

> > This is a serious argument in cosmology and at least gets a hearing
> > in "groupie" pubs like New Scientist. I note there is even a website
> > or 2 that has latched onto "the simulation argument". No doubt
> > theists will be happy.

> >http://www.simulation-argument.com/

> It is not really an argument for or against a deity as the simulators
> themselves may not be God or know if God exists or not.

But 'simulated ribs' are never quite as good as the real thing.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

".?"PunctuationIsParamount" >
wrote in message
>I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die.
>The sun
> may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant
> and shit.
> And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they
> will
> eventually die as their own sun dies. And then there is
> the looming
> threat of Universe contraction. And if the Universe does
> not
> contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we
> will have a
> dark night without star light star bright. What a ****in'
> future.
> Ribs anyone?

You have obviously never sat down and done any long term
""deep" thinking or else you would see how preposterous your
statement is.
Conclusions like the above are formed by the shallow, the
trite, the trivial, those who do not know what it means to
think deeply and to question profusely and to find real
answers.

There are many like you.
The planet Earth is populated by people like you.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 5:32*pm, "The BORG Leader" > wrote:
> ".?"PunctuationIsParamount" >
> wrote in ...
>

> >I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die.
> >The sun
> > may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant
> > and shit.
> > And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they
> > will
> > eventually die as their own sun dies. *And then there is
> > the looming
> > threat of Universe contraction. *And if the Universe does
> > not
> > contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we
> > will have a
> > dark night without star light star bright. *What a ****in'
> > future.
> > Ribs anyone?

> You have obviously never sat down and done any long term
> ""deep" thinking or else you would see how preposterous your
> statement is.
> Conclusions like the above are formed by the shallow, the
> trite, the trivial, those who do not know what it means to
> think deeply and to question profusely and to find real
> answers.
>
> There are many like you.
> The planet Earth is populated by people like you.

So where is your proof?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 21, 10:02*pm, ".?\"PunctuationIsParamount"
> wrote:
> I live my life knowing that eventually the earth will die. *The sun
> may get too hot even before it finally goes all red giant and shit.
> And if we happen to colonize other planets, know that they will
> eventually die as their own sun dies. *And then there is the looming
> threat of Universe contraction. *And if the Universe does not
> contract, it will continue to expand and eventually we will have a
> dark night without star light star bright. *What a ****in' future.
> Ribs anyone?

I like your conclusion, even though things end, get on with the rest
of it and why worry about it till it gets here? This mainly applies to
things out of our control but for things in our control we are
responsible and can learn to enjoy things despite the parts we cannot
control. Here listen to this Roman philosopher to get what I mean;

http://www.archive.org/download/ench...tetus_64kb.mp3
http://librivox.org/the-enchiridion-...zabeth-carter/

....to the extent that the new naturalism is true, its pursuit seems
certain to generate two great spiritual dilemmas. The first is that no
species, ours included, possesses a purpose beyond the imperatives
created by its genetic history. Species may have vast potential for
material and mental progress but they lack any immanent purpose or
guidance from agents beyond their immediate environment or even an
evolutionary goal toward which their molecular architecture
automatically steers them. I believe that the human mind is
constructed in a way that locks it inside this fundamental constraint
and forces it to make choices with a purely biological instrument. If
the brain evolved by natural selection, even the capacities to select
particular esthetic judgments and religious beliefs must have arisen
by the same mechanistic process. They are either direct adaptations to
past environments in which the ancestral human populations evolved or
at most constructions thrown up secondarily by deeper, less visible
activities that were once adaptive in this stricter, biological sense.

The essence of the argument, then, is that the brain exists because it
promotes the survival and multiplication of the genes that direct its
assembly. The human mind is a device for survival and reproduction,
and reason is just one of its various techniques. Steven Weinberg has
pointed out that physical reality remains so mysterious even to
physicists because of the extreme improbability that it was
constructed to be understood by the human mind. We can reverse that
insight to note with still greater force that the intellect was not
constructed to understand atoms or even to understand itself but to
promote the survival of human genes. The reflective person knows that
his life is in some incomprehensible manner guided through a
biological ontogeny, a more or less fixed order of life stages. He
senses that with all the drive, wit, love, pride, anger, hope, and
anxiety that characterize the species he will in the end be sure only
of helping to perpetuate the same cycle. Poets have defined this truth
as tragedy. ...

....we have no particular place to go. The species lacks any goal
external to its own biological nature. It could be that in the next
hundred years humankind will thread the needles of technology and
politics, solve the energy and materials crises, avert nuclear war,
and control reproduction. The world can at least hope for a stable
ecosystem and a well-nourished population. But what then?...

On Human Nature - Edward O. Wilson 1978
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...id=1036537594/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdVz1AkBvo
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 22, 12:58*pm, Errol > wrote:

> > It is not really an argument for or against a deity as the simulators
> > themselves may not be God or know if God exists or not.

> But 'simulated ribs' are never quite as good as the real thing.

Are you sure you know what real ribs taste like : )?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

On Dec 23, 5:41*am, Giga2 > wrote:
> On Dec 22, 12:58*pm, Errol > wrote:
>

> > > It is not really an argument for or against a deity as the simulators
> > > themselves may not be God or know if God exists or not.

> > But 'simulated ribs' are never quite as good as the real thing.

> Are you sure you know what real ribs taste like : )?

My favorite method of doing ribs is to give them a rub, smoke them in
a smoker. The next day grill them over hot coals. Brush a bit of
sauce on them.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.philosophy

The DORK Leader > wrote:
> The planet Earth is populated by people like you.

<mindless crosspost deleted>

And Usenet is populated by a scattering of socially clueless, self-righteous
dimbulbs like yourself. Your posting reflects a consuming narcissistic
belief that you possess such superior intellectual insight that any random
unrelated forum on earth will surely benefit from your ironically
condescending pontifications on the ignorance of others, even when it's
already been made clear that your "contribution" is unwelcome.

I'm sure that's all way over your head so I'll translate. Your self-serving
arrogant bullshit is about as welcome in a barbecue group as a cat turd in
your bed.

Here's some philosophy. I think, therefore you suck.

Jimmy John
Wanna sammich?