Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default "Ready to Cook" Smithfield Ham

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:33:05 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> On Nov 13, 6:03*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> The Smithfield ham you're referring to is the dry cured "Virginia Ham".
>> I'd really like to know why you can't, or aren't supposed to eat dry cured
>> Virginia style hams raw. This includes Gawaltney and Smithfield and others.
>> They should be identical to proscuitto, and you shouldn't have to cook them.
>>

> Go ahead, be my guest. But I can guarantee you that you will be
> absolutely miserable for many hours. There is not enough water to
> quench your thirst. The ham has been cured with salt but not cooked;
> salting is not the same thing as cooking and cooking will tenderize
> that ham. Do you eat chicken or beef raw?

Kent has been insisting that Dry Cured Smithfield Hams "should be"
just as good as an Italian proscuitto or Spanish serrano for years,
but he has never tried it. About a dozen people have tried to tell
him that he's full of shit (and salt), but he refuses to listen.

He refuses to believe that a Smithield dry-cured ham has so much
salt and is so dry that it requires a powered saw to cut it.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:33:05 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> On Nov 13, 6:03 pm, > wrote:
>>
>>> The Smithfield ham you're referring to is the dry cured "Virginia Ham".
>>> I'd really like to know why you can't, or aren't supposed to eat dry cured
>>> Virginia style hams raw. This includes Gawaltney and Smithfield and others.
>>> They should be identical to proscuitto, and you shouldn't have to cook them.
>>>

>> Go ahead, be my guest. But I can guarantee you that you will be
>> absolutely miserable for many hours. There is not enough water to
>> quench your thirst. The ham has been cured with salt but not cooked;
>> salting is not the same thing as cooking and cooking will tenderize
>> that ham. Do you eat chicken or beef raw?

> Kent has been insisting that Dry Cured Smithfield Hams "should be"
> just as good as an Italian proscuitto or Spanish serrano for years,
> but he has never tried it. About a dozen people have tried to tell
> him that he's full of shit (and salt), but he refuses to listen.
>
> He refuses to believe that a Smithield dry-cured ham has so much
> salt and is so dry that it requires a powered saw to cut it.
>
> -sw

He's too anal.

Hope this helps..

BBQ