Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default pastrami

to make pastrami, can you use an untrimmed brisket, or is it best to just
use a portion (the flat, I would presume)? Any tips?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message
> to make pastrami, can you use an untrimmed brisket, or is it best to just
> use a portion (the flat, I would presume)? Any tips?

I use an untrimmed brisket. Cure it, smoke it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Nov-2010, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
> > to make pastrami, can you use an untrimmed brisket, or is it best to
> > just
> > use a portion (the flat, I would presume)? Any tips?
> >

> I use an untrimmed brisket. Cure it, smoke it.

Chuckle. I can often identify your posts Ed by the content without
looking to see who posted it. Get a brisket. Cure it. Smoke it.
Eat pastrami. And that's about it. All the messing around doesn't
add a thing to the final product. Should I just do a flat or a point
or do I need a whole packer cut? Should I trim it or not trim it?
Get a brisket or a piece of brisket. Any piece of brisket will make
corned beef. Cure it. Must you trim it first? No. Is it okay to trim
it first? Yes. Smoke it like a raw brisket until it's done. Voila!,
Pastrami. If you want to slice it real thin, don't over cook it. It
crumbles like hell in the slicer if it's over cooked. Still tastes
great though.
--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> I use an untrimmed brisket. Cure it, smoke it.

You don't even really need any curing materials save for merely salt and
spices (dare ye NOT to forget the coriander).
The final result won't have that pretty nitrate-pink color,but hey,grey
corned beef tastes just like pink to me! (insert rude joke here)
The best pastrami IMO comes from the nice fatty point of the brisket.

monroe(cure it,smoke it,eat it,repeat it)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:14:04 -0700, Pico Rico wrote:

> to make pastrami, can you use an untrimmed brisket, or is it best to just
> use a portion (the flat, I would presume)? Any tips?

The deckles/points make a nice fatty pastrami similar to plate.
The flats themselves can get kinda dried out.

-sw