Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Shelf life of Nitrites and Phosphates

Any chemists or food scientists know the shelf life of food grade
sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate (as mixed with salt for curing), and
pure sodium pyrophosphate and potassium phosphates?

And any proper storage considerations other than room temp and
tightly sealed?

I'm thinking my phosphates may have weakened considerably after 4
years in a spice jar. No big deal there, but I'd hate to use a
cure #2 that was bunk.

I just opened up a 1-pound bag of #2 that is probably over 2 years
old. It came in a waxed paper bag. I also have a handful of 3oz
plastic spice jars of #1 that are vac-packed and still safety
sealed.

I did STFW and got a few contradicting non-answers, and/or too much
gobbley-gook.

(And would I be too pro-active in saying "STFU Kent"? If I need a
rocket scientist, I'll put "PING: Kent" in the subject.)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Any chemists or food scientists know the shelf life of food grade
> sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate (as mixed with salt for curing), and
> pure sodium pyrophosphate and potassium phosphates?
>
> And any proper storage considerations other than room temp and
> tightly sealed?
>
> I'm thinking my phosphates may have weakened considerably after 4
> years in a spice jar. No big deal there, but I'd hate to use a
> cure #2 that was bunk.
>
> I just opened up a 1-pound bag of #2 that is probably over 2 years
> old. It came in a waxed paper bag. I also have a handful of 3oz
> plastic spice jars of #1 that are vac-packed and still safety
> sealed.
>
> I did STFW and got a few contradicting non-answers, and/or too much
> gobbley-gook.
>
> (And would I be too pro-active in saying "STFU Kent"? If I need a
> rocket scientist, I'll put "PING: Kent" in the subject.)
>
> -sw

I'd contact directly an inorganic chemical company who sells the compounds
in bulk, like BSAF. Here is their NaO2 page with a contact email address. .
http://www.inorganics.basf.com/ca/fo.../Natriumnitrit So much, in
addition to the bottom line stabiity of a compound, depends on storage, etc.
etc. that you always have to consider that.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Any chemists or food scientists know the shelf life of food grade
> sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate (as mixed with salt for curing), and
> pure sodium pyrophosphate and potassium phosphates?
>
> And any proper storage considerations other than room temp and
> tightly sealed?
>
> I'm thinking my phosphates may have weakened considerably after 4
> years in a spice jar. No big deal there, but I'd hate to use a
> cure #2 that was bunk.
>
> I just opened up a 1-pound bag of #2 that is probably over 2 years
> old. It came in a waxed paper bag. I also have a handful of 3oz
> plastic spice jars of #1 that are vac-packed and still safety
> sealed.
>
> I did STFW and got a few contradicting non-answers, and/or too much
> gobbley-gook.
>
> (And would I be too pro-active in saying "STFU Kent"? If I need a
> rocket scientist, I'll put "PING: Kent" in the subject.)
>
> -sw

I asked BSAF this question and they refused to answer! Morton's Tenderquick
is somewhat similar to Prague #2.
http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...nderquick.html You could ask
them. Since they don't specify on the package I suspect it's a very long
time, as long as it's stored properly, which would mean, I think storing it
without water getting into the container.

I have some that's also been sitting about for a long time as well.

Kent

P.S. I know you're "killfiling". I'll bet you sneak in and look now and
then.

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life The Wolf Preserving 3 05-05-2010 03:30 AM
Shelf life SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 64 19-12-2008 08:24 PM
How do you tell the shelf life of a kit? arrassa Winemaking 2 19-03-2007 06:32 AM
Shelf life Zinc Potterman Preserving 7 20-07-2006 09:57 PM