Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Is it time?

I have not been here for a long while. There are a few reasons, but
the primary one is that while entertaining, all the fighting became
too much. Yes, I can kill file. But in a group of adults, well, I
really should not have to.

Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
door cooking.

Back then, if people disagreed, well, they would go out and test
things and then report back the results. They did so honestly, because
the entire point was to accomplish the best that they could and to
share, not to prove who was right.

Some of the old timers here have passed on to the great pit in the
sky. Others fell on bad times or got too ill. Lots I am sure got tired
of the degeneration, of the silly fights and disorders that have come
to infest this once warm and welcoming place.

So. The question is...should this become a moderated newsgroup? Or
should one be created?

Guess the real question becomes whether the primary fun here is BBQ or
the fighting?

I think it takes only 5 ppl to sign on in order to create a NG. I'm
just asking because I think the time has come to say enough of this
childish crap. I'm 50 and have better things to do. But I do like
discussing BBQ and would love to have a place to do so with out all
the "he said, she said, they said".

What say?

Respectfully,

Gene

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 9, 12:29*am, Gene > wrote:
> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
> door cooking.
>

> What say?

There's just not enough traffic on usenet anymore to support this as
well as it used to be. So people make entertainment where they find
it, with the bullshit you dislike.

Now, if all the complaining lurkers actually participated the signal
to noise ratio would automatically go down and maybe even attract some
new good blood.

I suppose I must have a high bullshit tolerance, because you are not
alone complaining that something drives you away that I see as simple
noise. Sometimes even entertaining noise.
I don't think your, and others, complaints are really on target. Do
you seriously think a moderated group would attract more traffic? If
you believe that, and that the real problem is in-fighting. Well, I
have a bridge to sell you.

One very good thing that would improve the signal to noise ratio?
Lurkers participating.

People such as yourself instead of trying to reinvent something,
simply refresh it with renewed participation.

Duh.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>There's just not enough traffic on usenet anymore to support this as
>well as it used to be. So people make entertainment where they find
>it, with the bullshit you dislike.

Perhaps.

>Now, if all the complaining lurkers actually participated the signal
>to noise ratio would automatically go down and maybe even attract some
>new good blood.

Perhaps they are not participating because they want to learn about Q
an not get sucked into a play ground of people (some) who do more back
biting than Q'ing.

BTW, the noise is higher than the signal of late.

>I suppose I must have a high bullshit tolerance, because you are not
>alone complaining that something drives you away that I see as simple
>noise. Sometimes even entertaining noise.

Well I did sat it is sometimes entertaining. But it is a waste for
time and off topic.

>I don't think your, and others, complaints are really on target. Do
>you seriously think a moderated group would attract more traffic? If
>you believe that, and that the real problem is in-fighting. Well, I
>have a bridge to sell you.

I am not concerned with attracting more traffic. And yes, I do feel I
am on target i.e. my complaint.

>One very good thing that would improve the signal to noise ratio?
>Lurkers participating.

That is not going to happen till people feel welcome. In order for
that to happen they need to feel like they will not be attacked when
they participate. Remember, they see all. They see how others are
treated.

>People such as yourself instead of trying to reinvent something,
>simply refresh it with renewed participation.

Yea. The last time I did that I was at constant war with someone who
later admitted that he mistook me for someone else. He said he was
sorry bout it, and it is no longer an issue.

But I am trying again now. But reading what I have over the last week
or so, well, I can't say I have lots of faith.

>Duh.

BTW, answering a question from a lurker with any "DUH" in your
response will drive them away. Sarcasm is not lost on lurkers, nor me.
I fully knew when I posted this subject that there would be those that
felt that the entire idea was a threat to take away their potential
fun. Just saying.

Cheers!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I can't understand your post, Gene. Do posts like this bother you?

On Oct 2, 5:20 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 17:26:43 -0400, Bob Sauerbraugh wrote:
> > How long did it take you to write all of that?

> What the **** does it matter? It took maybe 10-12 minutes. How long
> did it take for you to post that useless ****ing reply you ungrateful
> piece of shit?

Are you saying that isn't quite civil enough?

While declaring he doesn't usually use profanity in is posts, check
out this gem:

On Oct 2, 8:39 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Oh, stop being a whiney little anal prick. "Anal" is your middle and
> last names.

> I hardly ever swear in my posts, and my 'diatribes' are few and far
> between, Mr. Projection. You, OTOH, are nothing but an overly verbose
> jackass that just liked to hear yourself talk.
>
> Now back to the killfile you've resided for most of the last 4-5
> years. You're one of those people I was referring to when I mentioned
> "people of no value". You only come out barking when somebody else
> contributes something to Usenet in good faith. It figures that you
> would jump on my helpful post over some minor little quibble and make
> a ****ing mountain over it.
>
> You're nothing but a piece of shit.

**Keeping in mind he doesn't usually swear**, this is in the same
thread:

On Oct 3, 11:31 am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> What a LOAD OF SHIT! I especially love the part about water content
> of cooked vs raw meat. Which in case anyone REALLY wants to know:

> Dude, take some Immodium AD suppositories. The ones you swallow work
> on your ass. The ones you stick up your ass work the other way - on
> your mouth.

I am surprised that you don't see a welcome flag being waived there.

We even have one "for the ladies":

On Oct 5, 2:30 pm, Skwertz > wrote:

> So what kind of drugs are you on today, Kathleen? You lonely now that
> you've gotten that "Steve moving in with me" fantasy out of that
> ****ed up head of yours?
>
> Why don't you just do yourself ad the rest of the group a favor and
> just keep to yourself. They don't want to hear these off the wall and
> unsolicited kook-farts of yours. We were having a fine discussion
> before you stuck your fat, ugly head in here.

To prove the respect shown to others on this group, an easy example
was found in the same thread. Remember... no swearing!

On Oct 4, 10:56 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 14:24:41 -0700, Pico Rico wrote:
> > With my Alto Shaam smoker I just punch in:

> Fuuuuck you, with all due respect.
>
> We don't smoke in Alto Shaam's here.

I can't understand why you can't feel the shared experience of
learning and sharing that only comes with good communication and
mutual respect.

For some, adamant demands to perform to bizarre or perverted sexual
acts, references to fecal or urine bathing, eating, or other strange
processes are how they communicate. It's their comfort level of
communication to call others names of genitalia, or to combine
genitalia and fecal matter into strange acts that serve as their
reference points in conversation.

I am pleased though, to note that little swearing goes on here.

I believe you should think carefully about your post; look at my
examples, and keep in mind that all of them came from just one post.
When wasn't the welcome mat out?

I am confused....

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
>I have not been here for a long while. There are a few reasons, but
> the primary one is that while entertaining, all the fighting became
> too much. Yes, I can kill file. But in a group of adults, well, I
> really should not have to.
>
> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
> door cooking.
>
> Back then, if people disagreed, well, they would go out and test
> things and then report back the results. They did so honestly, because
> the entire point was to accomplish the best that they could and to
> share, not to prove who was right.
>
> Some of the old timers here have passed on to the great pit in the
> sky. Others fell on bad times or got too ill. Lots I am sure got tired
> of the degeneration, of the silly fights and disorders that have come
> to infest this once warm and welcoming place.
>
> So. The question is...should this become a moderated newsgroup? Or
> should one be created?
>
> Guess the real question becomes whether the primary fun here is BBQ or
> the fighting?
>
> I think it takes only 5 ppl to sign on in order to create a NG. I'm
> just asking because I think the time has come to say enough of this
> childish crap. I'm 50 and have better things to do. But I do like
> discussing BBQ and would love to have a place to do so with out all
> the "he said, she said, they said".
>
> What say?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Gene

Try this...

http://rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> I have not been here for a long while. There are a few reasons, but
> the primary one is that while entertaining, all the fighting became
> too much. Yes, I can kill file. But in a group of adults, well, I
> really should not have to.
>
> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
> door cooking.

I've been here from the beginning and yes, it has deteriorated. It is only
a couple of people causing the problems, but they make it a nasty place to
visit some days. I often pass on entire threads or even the entire day's
posting because of it. Reasoning does not help with that type of attitude
either. Bad as it is here at times, I'm not going to participate in a
moderated group.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 9, 3:29*am, Gene > wrote:
> I have not been here for a long while. *There are a few reasons, but
> the primary one is that while entertaining, all the fighting became
> too much. Yes, I can kill file. But in a group of adults, well, I
> really should not have to.
>
> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
> door cooking.
>
> Back then, if people disagreed, well, they would go out and test
> things and then report back the results. They did so honestly, because
> the entire point was to accomplish the best that they could and to
> share, not to prove who was right.
>
> Some of the old timers here have passed on to the great pit in the
> sky. Others fell on bad times or got too ill. Lots I am sure got tired
> of the degeneration, of the silly fights and disorders that have come
> to infest this once warm and welcoming place.
>
> So. The question is...should this become a moderated newsgroup? Or
> should one be created?
>
> Guess the real question becomes whether the primary fun here is BBQ or
> the fighting?
>
> I think it takes only 5 ppl to sign on in order to create a NG. I'm
> just asking because I think the time has come to say enough of this
> childish crap. I'm 50 and have better things to do. But I do like
> discussing BBQ and would love to have a place to do so with out all
> the "he said, she said, they said".
>
> What say?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Gene

This NG was absolute shit 15 years ago. Most of them assholes are
now gone. It's better than it ever was which is say kind of lousy.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 9, 2:21*pm, Omelet > wrote:

> Learn how to use killfiles and use your own judgment as to whom should
> be in them, and you will be fine. ;-)

No way... did I miss this before in your posting style? Now I
understand some would be embarrassed about what they post and their
choice of language looks in the light of day.

But are you adopting that totally chickenshit way of posting something
that will disappear later so you aren't accountable for what you
write? I mean cowardice is one thing, but that whole thing of posting
crap and then like a child denying what is did is really sad.

Par for the course for some, and I am glad to see their fouled mouthed
moronic crap disappear.

But you?

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene > wrote:

> snip
> >There's just not enough traffic on usenet anymore to support this as
> >well as it used to be. So people make entertainment where they find
> >it, with the bullshit you dislike.

> Perhaps.
>

> >Now, if all the complaining lurkers actually participated the signal
> >to noise ratio would automatically go down and maybe even attract some
> >new good blood.
> >

> Perhaps they are not participating because they want to learn about Q
> an not get sucked into a play ground of people (some) who do more back
> biting than Q'ing.
>
> BTW, the noise is higher than the signal of late.
>
> >I suppose I must have a high bullshit tolerance, because you are not
> >alone complaining that something drives you away that I see as simple
> >noise. Sometimes even entertaining noise.

> Well I did sat it is sometimes entertaining. But it is a waste for
> time and off topic.
>
> >I don't think your, and others, complaints are really on target. Do
> >you seriously think a moderated group would attract more traffic? If
> >you believe that, and that the real problem is in-fighting. Well, I
> >have a bridge to sell you.

> I am not concerned with attracting more traffic. And yes, I do feel I
> am on target i.e. my complaint.
> >
> >One very good thing that would improve the signal to noise ratio?
> >Lurkers participating.
> >

> That is not going to happen till people feel welcome. In order for
> that to happen they need to feel like they will not be attacked when
> they participate. Remember, they see all. They see how others are
> treated.
>
> >People such as yourself instead of trying to reinvent something,
> >simply refresh it with renewed participation.

> Yea. The last time I did that I was at constant war with someone who
> later admitted that he mistook me for someone else. He said he was
> sorry bout it, and it is no longer an issue.
>
> But I am trying again now. But reading what I have over the last week
> or so, well, I can't say I have lots of faith.
>

> >Duh.

> BTW, answering a question from a lurker with any "DUH" in your
> response will drive them away. Sarcasm is not lost on lurkers, nor me.
> I fully knew when I posted this subject that there would be those that
> felt that the entire idea was a threat to take away their potential
> fun. Just saying.
>
> Cheers!

There'll always be wars,DUHs,and clueless n00bs who need spanking.
Yes,Usenet IS dying.That's sad and all but,<shrug>...
I'll personally admit to lurking more than I should,but,participating in
threads with:
uber-narsty political infighting,
constant sock-puppet armageddons with rec.food.cooking idiots,
and (J.C.on.skates)weather reports from Armpit,Flori-Texa-stan don't
exactly garner my interest<knowhutimeanvern?>.
These,hence and sadly,give me,ergo,Nothing To Say!
**** the profanity police. F-,M-F-,S- and A-hole are perfectly good
words. Smoke 'em if ya gottem. Kids don't belong here IMO-they belong in
the kitchen on DishDetail.
MY main peeve,IAGAS,is the incessant "Me,too" and "Amen Bro" and "Yeah"
posts that are eversomuch more noise-y than signal-y.
It doesn't improve the group one whit to followup Every Stinkin' Post
when you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to them. Group members
who do so AREN'T adding anything to ""participating"".
As to moderating? I trpl-canine-dare you to find ANYONE that's
masochistic enough for such an unthankful and useless job.

monroe(on-and-off since '97,proudly sockpuppet-free for the *compleat
entirety* of that)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10-Oct-2010, "monroe, of course" > wrote:

> [...]

> and (J.C.on.skates)weather reports from Armpit,Flori-Texa-stan don't
> exactly garner my interest<knowhutimeanvern?>.
> These,hence and sadly,give me,ergo,Nothing To Say!
> **** the profanity police. F-,M-F-,S- and A-hole are perfectly good
> words. Smoke 'em if ya gottem. Kids don't belong here IMO-they belong in
> the kitchen on DishDetail.
> MY main peeve,IAGAS,is the incessant "Me,too" and "Amen Bro" and "Yeah"
> posts that are eversomuch more noise-y than signal-y.
> It doesn't improve the group one whit to followup Every Stinkin' Post
> when you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to them. Group members
> who do so AREN'T adding anything to ""participating"".
> As to moderating? I trpl-canine-dare you to find ANYONE that's
> masochistic enough for such an unthankful and useless job.
>
> monroe(on-and-off since '97,proudly sockpuppet-free for the *compleat

Wish you would come back Monroe.

--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, tutall > wrote:
>On Oct 9, 12:29=A0am, Gene > wrote:
>> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
>> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
>> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
>> door cooking.
>>

>> What say?
>>

>There's just not enough traffic on usenet anymore to support this as
>well as it used to be. So people make entertainment where they find
>it, with the bullshit you dislike.
>
>Now, if all the complaining lurkers actually participated the signal
>to noise ratio would automatically go down and maybe even attract some
>new good blood.
>
>I suppose I must have a high bullshit tolerance, because you are not
>alone complaining that something drives you away that I see as simple
>noise. Sometimes even entertaining noise.
>I don't think your, and others, complaints are really on target. Do
>you seriously think a moderated group would attract more traffic? If
>you believe that, and that the real problem is in-fighting. Well, I
>have a bridge to sell you.
>
>One very good thing that would improve the signal to noise ratio?
>Lurkers participating.
>
>People such as yourself instead of trying to reinvent something,
>simply refresh it with renewed participation.

\

Very good !

ALL groups have similar problems. Its the state of the world, frustrated individuals.

greg
..
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/9/2010 2:29 AM, Gene wrote:
> I have not been here for a long while. There are a few reasons, but
> the primary one is that while entertaining, all the fighting became
> too much. Yes, I can kill file. But in a group of adults, well, I
> really should not have to.
>
> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
> door cooking.
>
> Back then, if people disagreed, well, they would go out and test
> things and then report back the results. They did so honestly, because
> the entire point was to accomplish the best that they could and to
> share, not to prove who was right.
>
> Some of the old timers here have passed on to the great pit in the
> sky. Others fell on bad times or got too ill. Lots I am sure got tired
> of the degeneration, of the silly fights and disorders that have come
> to infest this once warm and welcoming place.
>
> So. The question is...should this become a moderated newsgroup? Or
> should one be created?
>
> Guess the real question becomes whether the primary fun here is BBQ or
> the fighting?
>
> I think it takes only 5 ppl to sign on in order to create a NG. I'm
> just asking because I think the time has come to say enough of this
> childish crap. I'm 50 and have better things to do. But I do like
> discussing BBQ and would love to have a place to do so with out all
> the "he said, she said, they said".
>
> What say?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Gene

I agree this group is not the same as it once was. And that is a shame.
I have been spending more time on the ABF group. Though it is a PIC
group, over the years it has evolved into more of a discussion group
with pics.

I don't like the idea of a moderated group. Posts might take time to be
displayed and can a lot of work for a moderator.

I use my kill file for this group to weed out the spam junk. Some days
there are less then 5 posts that come through...

I would suggest we try and get this group back to what it once was.

BBQ

--
Please vote for me

http://wahlnation.com/Vote/23131

I had my pic taken at the fair by Wahl, makers of hair/mustache
trimmers. This link should take you to a pic of me wearing sunglasses.
You can vote for me once each day, until some time in October. I can
win a 42 inch TV or an MP3 Player.

You may have to register a user name, which can be an e-mail address.
You can use an e-mail address you no longer check. And you can use a
different browser to vote for me twice in 1 day. Chicago Style voting
is acceptable in this. Vote Early, Vote often :-)
Thanks, Rick
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/09/2010 05:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> If I really wanted to hide I wouldn't use the
> same posting nick year after year. I would have an army of "sock
> puppets" instead

Who says you don't?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/09/2010 09:28 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 02:29:31 -0500, Gene wrote:
>
>> So. The question is...should this become a moderated newsgroup? Or
>> should one be created?

> Ahh, the usual troll.
>
> Mike Piedmont created a moderated Google group for BBQ. Go There.
> And take all the other chicken-skinned whiners with you. Fact is,
> even without the fighting, nobody would be here anyway. Usenet is
> dying in case you haven't noticed. Plenty of web forums for BBQ and
> cooking. You would *be* at one of those many groups if this weren't a
> troll.
>
> Go.
>
> -sw

Congrats on doing _your part_ to trash it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Oct-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:

.. . .

> I've only ever cooked brisket once so really need to check the archives
> and google as to how to do one right. I've eaten so much flavorless
> brisket at various BBQ's and even at BBQ restaurants, (including Salt
> Lick and Ironworks) I tend to despair of making a really tasty one. :-(
>
> It's one major reason I prefer ribs, chops and pork butt!
> --
> Peace! Om

Cook brisket just like you would a pork butt. Season it up front like
you would a pork butt, but with your choice of spices for brisket.

--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 12, 7:48*pm, wrote:

> Cook brisket just like you would a pork butt. Season it up front like
> you would a pork butt, but with your choice of spices for brisket.

A fellow Texan that hasn't smoked a ton of brisket?

Actually, brick is right. If you can cook a butt, you can cook a
brisket just fine. Look for one that isn't too distorted; the point
shouldn't be huge, nor the flat pointed.

I cook mine at different temps depending on how fast I want it done,
anywhere from 250F to 350F. Without starting a raging battle on the
fat cup up/down battle, I honestly haven't seen much difference in the
final product if you are cooking in the 250F range.

A good size to start with is the favored competition size of about
13-14 pounds. If you have a favorite butcher, ask him/her to help you
pick one out for the pit. Make sure he knows this one isn't oven
bound as you can use just about any shape in the oven in a pan.
Personally, only buy packer cuts, and cut down the fat to about a
quarter inch thick or so. I saw one of the known pit masters say it
best; there isn't any reason to cook plain fat.

Low and slow is a great way to learn the ways of the beef.
Personally, I wouldn't go over about 250F, as it will give you plenty
of leeway. Contrary to what some think, brisket cooked slowly can be
pretty forgiving.

Brisket is done when it is done. I have cooked them and had them
finish out at about 30 minutes a pound, and others needed a full hour
per pound. So plan ahead.

I wouldn't worry too much about fancy rub recipes,either. Brisket
seems to take more smoke than anything, so if you are happy with a
little S&P, that would make a fine rub for it. Just not too much.

Before I pull mine off the pit, I do a fork test regardless of thermo
readings. I stick a two tined fork in about two inches. If I can
twist it fairly easily, I am happy. Not as easily as a well cooked
roast, but enough to turn the fork and see the meat start to separate.

Sometimes on a small pit you will find that the flat dries out a bit
before the point is done. If you see that the flat is starting to dry
out a bit more than you like, simply drape a couple of pieces of bacon
over the flat and that will keep it moist. (Mmmmmm... pig
fat.... !!)

If you have a good thermo, take it to about 190 - 195F internal, and
take it off the pit and let it rest for about an hour. I am not
fancy. I have an extra large cutting board specifically bought for
brisket. I put it on the board, cover it with foil, and then fold an
old bath towel to the smallest possible size I can and still cover the
meat. Then I work on the sides, setting the table, and getting
everyone rounded up to eat.

Heaven. Nothing like a well smoked brisket.

Good luck! Start a new thread and let us know how well you did.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/12/2010 03:58 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/09/2010 05:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> If I really wanted to hide I wouldn't use the
>>> same posting nick year after year. I would have an army of "sock
>>> puppets" instead
>>>

>> Who says you don't?

> <snork> No kidding!
>
> OB on topic: Bought more lovely thick pork chops today for possible BBQ
> this weekend. Work's been a bitch with lots of overtime. Sometimes all I
> want to do on my days off is sleep. ;-p
>
> Those things cook up so well. ;-)
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Q?feat=directl
> ink>
>
> After the pork spares, one of the techs at the Chiro's office has
> requested Brisket. I'll likely cook for them once per month so I have
> time to plan.
>
> I've only ever cooked brisket once so really need to check the archives
> and google as to how to do one right. I've eaten so much flavorless
> brisket at various BBQ's and even at BBQ restaurants, (including Salt
> Lick and Ironworks) I tend to despair of making a really tasty one. :-(
>
> It's one major reason I prefer ribs, chops and pork butt!

Those ones to the side have some nice color, just begging for some Jack
Daniels/honey/butter reduction glaze, imo...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/13/2010 10:53 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> OB on topic: Bought more lovely thick pork chops today for possible BBQ
>>> this weekend. Work's been a bitch with lots of overtime. Sometimes all I
>>> want to do on my days off is sleep. ;-p
>>>
>>> Those things cook up so well. ;-)
>>>
>>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Q?feat=directl
>>> ink>
>>>
>>> After the pork spares, one of the techs at the Chiro's office has
>>> requested Brisket. I'll likely cook for them once per month so I have
>>> time to plan.
>>>
>>> I've only ever cooked brisket once so really need to check the archives
>>> and google as to how to do one right. I've eaten so much flavorless
>>> brisket at various BBQ's and even at BBQ restaurants, (including Salt
>>> Lick and Ironworks) I tend to despair of making a really tasty one. :-(
>>>
>>> It's one major reason I prefer ribs, chops and pork butt!

>> Those ones to the side have some nice color, just begging for some Jack
>> Daniels/honey/butter reduction glaze, imo...

> Oh yum! Nice idea.
> Or some type of fruity jam glaze...
>
> Mustard treatment for pork works well too, depending on your mood.

Split the difference and jack Daniels makes a real tasty Honey mustard ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 13, 11:15*pm, " >
wrote:

> I try get one that is more flexible than not, and one day I will have
> to follow up on the guys that swear by purchasing a left handed
> brisket over a right. *I kid you not...

I liked Frohe's description of "floppy". He'd look for a floppy piece.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/13/2010 04:10 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2010 10:53 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Oh yum! Nice idea.
>>> Or some type of fruity jam glaze...
>>>
>>> Mustard treatment for pork works well too, depending on your mood.

>> Split the difference and jack Daniels makes a real tasty Honey mustard ;-)

> Actually, Central Market in Austin carries a Jack Daniels mustard,
> pre-made. ;-)

That's the stuff I was referring to!

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...9470811 0001P

> To date, the only alcohol I've ever marinated meat in is Vermouth.
> I marinate myself in more of a variety...<g>

Lol, obligatory comments on tenderness, etc....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/18/2010 02:24 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2010 04:10 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Actually, Central Market in Austin carries a Jack Daniels mustard,
>>> pre-made. ;-)

>> That's the stuff I was referring to!
>>
>> http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...ood%20&%20G r
>> ocery&cName=GeneralGrocery&sName=Mustard&sid=KDx20 070926x00003a&ci_src=1411094
>> 4&ci_sku=033W194708110001P
>>

>>> To date, the only alcohol I've ever marinated meat in is Vermouth.
>>> I marinate myself in more of a variety...<g>
>>>

>> Lol, obligatory comments on tenderness, etc....

> Works for me... ;-D

Well I could have said you were well-sauced I suppose... ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/25/2010 12:23 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Oh, and **** you. There, I swore. Killfile me and get over it.
> In the meantime, I and all my sock puppets wish you would get well.
>
> -sw

Accepting and admitting to your troll army is the first step...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i would never participate in a moderated group unless it was one of a
technical nature, I mostly lurk because i have very little to offer in the
way of q from a praticle perspective, but i read here often,

Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
>I have not been here for a long while. There are a few reasons, but
> the primary one is that while entertaining, all the fighting became
> too much. Yes, I can kill file. But in a group of adults, well, I
> really should not have to.
>
> Years ago this group was a place all about Q, grillin, beer, wine,
> sides, and all thing yum. People here shared interests in these
> things. People came here to learn (I did). This was the Mecca of out
> door cooking.
>
> Back then, if people disagreed, well, they would go out and test
> things and then report back the results. They did so honestly, because
> the entire point was to accomplish the best that they could and to
> share, not to prove who was right.
>
> Some of the old timers here have passed on to the great pit in the
> sky. Others fell on bad times or got too ill. Lots I am sure got tired
> of the degeneration, of the silly fights and disorders that have come
> to infest this once warm and welcoming place.
>
> So. The question is...should this become a moderated newsgroup? Or
> should one be created?
>
> Guess the real question becomes whether the primary fun here is BBQ or
> the fighting?
>
> I think it takes only 5 ppl to sign on in order to create a NG. I'm
> just asking because I think the time has come to say enough of this
> childish crap. I'm 50 and have better things to do. But I do like
> discussing BBQ and would love to have a place to do so with out all
> the "he said, she said, they said".
>
> What say?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Gene

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i mostly agree with you and offer things when i can, but i so lack in
experience that is pertinent to the topic i have very little to contribute,
but i do enjoy reading here, when someone's noise level gets to high i just
quietly kf them and go on, so i can keep reading people who will educate me,