FoodBanter.com

-   -   OT-Brownies inside a cake (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/400325-ot-brownies-inside-cake.html)

Micajah 05-09-2010 03:53 AM

OT-Brownies inside a cake

I am aware that this is a barbecue group, but I hope that someone can give
me a good answer to a problem I might have. (To keep it OT, how about the
brownies being made with Rudy's barbecue sauce? <grin>)

I have been drafted to bake a birthday cake and the specifications are for
it to be thick chocolate with pieces of chocolate brownies inside. I bought
two boxes of mix: one for brownies and one for a chocolate cake. Tonight, I
did the brownies and they came out fine. I followed the box directions for
the more dense type, but couldn't help playing around a bit and adding in
some miniature marshmellows. I did them to just the point where a toothpick
came out "almost" dry and they're cooling on a rack tonight.

Tomorrow is the tough part. I currently plan to cut the brownies into 1"
cubes and make a layer in the cake pan, leaving some room between the cubes
for the cake batter to sink and surround them. After pouring in enough
batter to cover the brownie cubes, I then plan to add a second layer of
cubes with the balance of the batter.

What size pan should I use for a box cake with this? Any ideas? What
adjustments should I make to the baking time and temp?

I can do barbecue and grilling outside dead drunk with my eyes closed, but
I've not been called upon to bake. In fact, this is the first brownies I've
baked since my daughter was a little girl and I have to admit that doing
them brought back some very warm, special, memories.

Micajah