Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default grill surface thermometer

I found a grill surface thermometer online and when it arrived the
instructions were it's for the grill surface only (duh). I was hoping
I could use it to get a reading inside K7. The instructions say it's
to take a measurement of heat at the surface when grilling. Well, I
don't need no stinking thermometer to measure heat on the grill. I
just throw a piece of meat and grill till I think it's ready.
It also says that if used in a smoker it will cloud up. (I have an
old oven thermometer I've used and it does get all dark on the glass)
So, I was thinking, what would happen if I put a small coating of
Vaseline on the glass to keep it from clouding up? Then when I go to
read it I simply clean off the Vaseline.
Anyone tried this method? Or do you have a better idea?
Let me know, 'cause I plan to do a lot of smoking tomorrow.
Thanks
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Eddie wrote:

> So, I was thinking, what would happen if I put a small coating of
> Vaseline on the glass to keep it from clouding up? Then when I go to
> read it I simply clean off the Vaseline.
> Anyone tried this method? Or do you have a better idea?
> Let me know, 'cause I plan to do a lot of smoking tomorrow.

The vaseline will probably melt and run off of the glass.
--
Dave Bugg
"For it's 'guns this' and 'guns that', and 'chuck 'em out, the brutes',

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eddie" > wrote in message
>I found a grill surface thermometer online and when it arrived the
> instructions were it's for the grill surface only (duh). I was hoping
> I could use it to get a reading inside K7. The instructions say it's
> to take a measurement of heat at the surface when grilling. Well, I
> don't need no stinking thermometer to measure heat on the grill. I
> just throw a piece of meat and grill till I think it's ready.
> It also says that if used in a smoker it will cloud up. (I have an
> old oven thermometer I've used and it does get all dark on the glass)
> So, I was thinking, what would happen if I put a small coating of
> Vaseline on the glass to keep it from clouding up? Then when I go to
> read it I simply clean off the Vaseline.
> Anyone tried this method? Or do you have a better idea?
> Let me know, 'cause I plan to do a lot of smoking tomorrow.
> Thanks
> Eddie

I'm going to try it. I'm going to use Crisco, lard, or something like that.
I spend time trying to clean the thermometer as well. The fat might make
that easier. Put it on the grill with the face of the thermometer facing up.
Easier said than done.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> That's the answer! Thanks

The Master has spoken.

The master of bating, that is.....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells a great INFRARED, indirect, thermometer that is
great for reading the grill surface or the surface temperature of any dish.
It sure cannot replace the probe-type, but it's great for deciding when the
grill is ready to go.

Micajah

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> I found a grill surface thermometer online and when it arrived the
> instructions were it's for the grill surface only (duh). I was hoping
> I could use it to get a reading inside K7. The instructions say it's
> to take a measurement of heat at the surface when grilling. Well, I
> don't need no stinking thermometer to measure heat on the grill. I
> just throw a piece of meat and grill till I think it's ready.
> It also says that if used in a smoker it will cloud up. (I have an
> old oven thermometer I've used and it does get all dark on the glass)
> So, I was thinking, what would happen if I put a small coating of
> Vaseline on the glass to keep it from clouding up? Then when I go to
> read it I simply clean off the Vaseline.
> Anyone tried this method? Or do you have a better idea?
> Let me know, 'cause I plan to do a lot of smoking tomorrow.
> Thanks
> Eddie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You do know, that a grill surface
thermometer is for a restaurant
flat top grill?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Eddie > wrote:
>I found a grill surface thermometer online and when it arrived the
>instructions were it's for the grill surface only (duh). I was hoping
>I could use it to get a reading inside K7. The instructions say it's
>to take a measurement of heat at the surface when grilling. Well, I
>don't need no stinking thermometer to measure heat on the grill. I
>just throw a piece of meat and grill till I think it's ready.
>It also says that if used in a smoker it will cloud up. (I have an
>old oven thermometer I've used and it does get all dark on the glass)
>So, I was thinking, what would happen if I put a small coating of
>Vaseline on the glass to keep it from clouding up? Then when I go to
>read it I simply clean off the Vaseline.
>Anyone tried this method? Or do you have a better idea?
>Let me know, 'cause I plan to do a lot of smoking tomorrow.
>Thanks
>Eddie

I didn't notice any clouding with an oven thermometer I
used once. There should be no difference between a "surface" thermometer
and a stand up oven thermometer.