Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bacon Fat

Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig? Will
it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a thin
layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing rib
roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean meat
when I don't want any flavor.

Any thoughts about this? What do you do?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 21, 10:33*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a thin
> layer of rendered bacon fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing rib
> roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". *I also use PAM spray on lean meat
> when I don't want any flavor.
>
> Any thoughts about this?

Ahhhhhh-hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Is that a thought?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in
:

> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
> Will it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the
> bacon fat, refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean
> meats with a thin layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the
> cut ends of a standing rib roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I
> also use PAM spray on lean meat when I don't want any flavor.
>
> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
>
> Kent

never sauteed bacon I just fry it up in the pan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
> Will it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon
> fat, refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a
> thin layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a
> standing rib roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM
> spray on lean meat when I don't want any flavor.
>
> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?

I've known chefs who slather butter to get a good, albeit fake, sear. I've
known other chefs who are horrified by anything other than a real sear. So,
do as you wish.

I'd imagine the bacon fat would last a long time in the fridge, much longer
in the freezer.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Charly Horse" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Kent" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
>> Will it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the
>> bacon fat, refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean
>> meats with a thin layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the
>> cut ends of a standing rib roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I
>> also use PAM spray on lean meat when I don't want any flavor.
>>
>> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
>>
>> Kent
>>

> never sauteed bacon I just fry it up in the pan

saute = fry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig? Will
> it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
> refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a thin
> layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing rib
> roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean meat
> when I don't want any flavor.
>
> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
>
> Kent

Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
> ;-)

Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
> > ;-)

> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

My mom did too.
She used it too fast for it to get rancid.

I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bacon fat lasts forever out of the frig so don't see why it would be
different in the frig. Lee
"Kent" > wrote in message
> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
> Will it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon
> fat, refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a
> thin layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a
> standing rib roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM
> spray on lean meat when I don't want any flavor.
>
> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
>
> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]
>> > Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
>> > ;-)

>> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

> My mom did too.
> She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
>
> I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.
> --
> Peace! Om

Thanks, Om,

Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?
Thanks,
Kent
-----
not able to live without bacon fat

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained it,
you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Omelet > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
>> ;-)

> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

dude way too much detail here, either strain it or stir it and use it, Lee
"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:

>>> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

>> My mom did too.
>> She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
>>
>> I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>

> Thanks, Om,
>
> Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
> What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
> Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
> What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
> How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?
> Thanks,
> Kent
> -----
> not able to live without bacon fat

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Wallace" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
>> Will it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon
>> fat, refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with
>> a thin layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a
>> standing rib roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM
>> spray on lean meat when I don't want any flavor.
>>
>> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?

> I've known chefs who slather butter to get a good, albeit fake, sear.
> I've known other chefs who are horrified by anything other than a real
> sear. So, do as you wish.
>
> I'd imagine the bacon fat would last a long time in the fridge, much
> longer in the freezer.

Butter isn't a good searing fat because it's 18% water, breaks down easily,
and the butter flavor overwhelms the meat. The "real sear" depends on the
very thin layer of fat between the heat source and the meat. This occurs
naturally with direct infrared heat, as with the Salamander grill used in
restaurants. With lower temprature charcoal or even lower temperature gas a
fine fat layer applied to lean meat helps a good surface sear, or char.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Wallace" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
>>> Will it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon
>>> fat, refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with
>>> a thin layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a
>>> standing rib roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM
>>> spray on lean meat when I don't want any flavor.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?

>> I've known chefs who slather butter to get a good, albeit fake, sear.
>> I've known other chefs who are horrified by anything other than a real
>> sear. So, do as you wish.
>>
>> I'd imagine the bacon fat would last a long time in the fridge, much
>> longer in the freezer.
>>

> Butter isn't a good searing fat because it's 18% water, breaks down
> easily, and the butter flavor overwhelms the meat.

That has not been my experience. Butter has worked just fine in a very hot
oven, and no butter flavor noticed. YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Omelet > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room
> > > temp. ;-)

> > Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

> My mom did too.
> She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
>
> I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.

My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can even
buy lye, now.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yes, farm supply stores that are real stores for farmers and not the wannabe
sort, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Omelet > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> >
>> > Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

>> My mom did too.
>> She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
>>
>> I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.

> My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can even
> buy lye, now.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained
> it, you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
> bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
> []

I don't remember Mom or Gramma straining it.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the container was silver probably aluimin or similar, usually came with a
metal canister set... the one my mom had was the diameter of a 12 oz metal
coffee can, you screwed off the lid and there was an insert. it covered the
entire opening of the can... this had holes around the size or a bit bigger
of those in an old sty el perculator, mom always poured in the hot grease,
and when she wanted bit s for something she got them out of the top...
usuall in tha baked beans or green beans and potatoes, or in the wilted
lettuce or wilted greens, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained
>> it, you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
>> bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
>> []

> I don't remember Mom or Gramma straining it.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> yes, farm supply stores that are real stores for farmers and not the
> wannabe sort, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can
> > even buy lye, now.

I thought it had been banned because iof its illicit use to make meth or
something. I doubt that there's a real farm supply store within a country
mile or 20 of me.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

oh you have to practically give a dna sample to get it, Lee... my father is
a cattle farmer, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> yes, farm supply stores that are real stores for farmers and not the
>> wannabe sort, Lee
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> > My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can
>> > even buy lye, now.

> I thought it had been banned because iof its illicit use to make meth or
> something. I doubt that there's a real farm supply store within a country
> mile or 20 of me.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote

>> never sauteed bacon I just fry it up in the pan
>>

> saute = fry

Nope, there is a difference. Sauté is a particular method of cooking
something keeping it in motion in the pan. Bacon is laid in and fried.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:

> >> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

> > My mom did too.
> > She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
> >
> > I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Thanks, Om,
>
> Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?

Yes, but only up to a point. I use a clean 12 oz. vegetable can and when
it gets half full, I start a second one and toss the old can when I use
up the fat that is in it.

> What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?

Use them in Red Eye Gravy or it's equivalent! ;-d

> Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?

Hell no! <laughs>

> What do you do to use the oldest fast first?

See above. It's great for frying eggs and catfish.

> How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?

See above. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid. <g>
I follow what mom did.

We did not eat a LOT of bacon growing up, so mom would use it up before
it went rancid. There is a lot of salt in that fat and that acts as a
preservative. Plus, a lot of bacon has nitrites in it.

> Thanks,
> Kent
> -----
> not able to live without bacon fat

--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained it,
> you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
> bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee

There are now some nifty looking microwave bacon cookers on Amazon.com
that I intend to try eventually. I'm trying not to use my credit card
much at the moment.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> >
> > Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
> > What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
> > Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
> > What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
> > How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?
> > Thanks,
> > Kent
> > -----
> > not able to live without bacon fat

> dude way too much detail here, either strain it or stir it and use it, Lee

That's a Kent thing! <lol>
I'm not as scientific as he is. I cook mostly by the seat of my pants
as that makes it more fun! Cooking is a hobby.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Butter isn't a good searing fat because it's 18% water, breaks down easily,
> and the butter flavor overwhelms the meat.

The water cooks off Kent.

Some of the best bacon I've made to date has been deep fried in my Fry
Daddy in Peanut oil.

The bacon grease mixes with the peanut oil making a combination of fat
in the fryer that is most excellent for frying catfish nuggets! ;-d

As for butter, I happen to adore the flavor it adds to steaks! And the
fat I don't trim off of a rib-eye "sears" just fine thank you. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > >
> > > Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

> > My mom did too.
> > She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
> >
> > I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.

> My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can even
> buy lye, now.

Maybe on line. They pulled Lye off of store shelves because of Meth
labs. <sigh>

Best drain cleaner there ever was!

You can make your own home made Lye by running water thru wood ash. I
don't know the exact formulation, but I've read about it in historical
tomes.

Ash water and grease makes soap.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i have tried several over the years and non work great but the best is
called the wave i think, you open it lay the slices in snap is shut and
nuke... it works fine enough but i still prefer it cooked in cast iron. Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained
>> it,
>> you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
>> bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee

> There are now some nifty looking microwave bacon cookers on Amazon.com
> that I intend to try eventually. I'm trying not to use my credit card
> much at the moment.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i know you are correct but... its fat, it clogs your arteries and it is a
gift from G*D!!! when i ws a kid we did eat breakfast meat most days, about
half the time bacon, sometimes fresh sometimes cured... but the grease never
lasted all that long as my mom used it for lots of things like wilted
lettuce and wilted greens,*similar process very different ingr.

Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
>> > What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
>> > Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
>> > What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
>> > How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kent
>> > -----
>> > not able to live without bacon fat

>> dude way too much detail here, either strain it or stir it and use it,
>> Lee

> That's a Kent thing! <lol>
> I'm not as scientific as he is. I cook mostly by the seat of my pants
> as that makes it more fun! Cooking is a hobby.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?

?????????????
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The Walmarts in DFW Tx area often carry them I've got one beside the
stove for the grease the dog doesn't get on his food. I don't like the fine
grit from the pan in the grease so I line the upper strainer with a cut
out piece of a coffee filter.

"Stormmee" > wrote in
:

> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that
> strained it, you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and
> collected in the bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> Omelet > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room
>>> temp. ;-)

>> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and
>> their families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our
>> Troops! http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
>> ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
>> > What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
>> > Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
>> > What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
>> > How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kent
>> > -----
>> > not able to live without bacon fat

>> dude way too much detail here, either strain it or stir it and use it,
>> Lee

> That's a Kent thing! <lol>
> I'm not as scientific as he is. I cook mostly by the seat of my pants
> as that makes it more fun! Cooking is a hobby.
> --
> Peace! Om

Of course it's a hobby. However the most fascinating thing about cooking of
any kind is that: there are a million ways to accomplish the same thing.
That's what's interesting about a group like this. As awful as Sqwertz is,
he has some great ideas, as do you and countless others. We all cook
pant-wise, so to speak; we do something differently all the time to make it
better. That's what's great about it.

Recently I had three containers of different age rendered bacon fat in the
frig. I defrosted them in the microwavae and did a "fat taste". One didn't
taste so hot so I discarded it. The rest tasted almost the same and were
profoundly combined. I like the little deglazed granules on the bottom of
the container. I think it's probably a good idea to taste the bacon fat
before it goes into the fat pot.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Charly Horse" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> never sauteed bacon I just fry it up in the pan
>>

> saute = fry

Not this week, or in this world. Similar, but not "="

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> n article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
> > Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
> > Will
> > it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
> >
> > refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a
> > thin
> > layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing
> > rib
> > roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean
> > meat
> > when I don't want any flavor.
> >
> > Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
> >
> > Kent

> Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
> ;-)
> --
> Peace! Om

Thanks Om. I was afraid to mention that. Mine has been next to the stove
in a made to purpose aluminum can with a strainer built into the top and
a tight fitting lid. It's been washed three or four times in the last 20
years.
When I think of it, I reheat the grease and strain it again.

I render a pound or two of bacon at a time with my panini grill and catch
all of the grease in the catcher cups that came with it. I then put the
cooked bacon in a long flat tupperware container and keep it in the freezer.
The bacon grease goes into the can. I find this method gives me the
best control over the texture of the bacon and costs pretty much the
least amount of effort. I suspect that the curing products contained
in the bacon may have a lot of effect on the preservation of the grease.
I don't really know or care. It works for me and the grease is always
handy right where I want it.
--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jul-2010, "Kent" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:

> >> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

> > My mom did too.
> > She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
> >
> > I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Thanks, Om,
>
> Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?

yes

> What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?

They're filtered out by the built in strainer and discarded.

> Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?

Whatever the color of the fat that comes off my bacon, it all goes
in the same can.

> What do you do to use the oldest fast first?

It's all in the same can. Subject is moot.

> How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?

6 months???

> Thanks,
> Kent
> -----

> not able to live without bacon fat

I hope you have a use for all this sage advice. Go ahead and
tell me that my unsanitary habits are going to kill me. They
probably will, but I have to say that they're off to an awfully
late start if that's what's going to happen.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jul-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> dude way too much detail here, either strain it or stir it and use it, Lee

.. . .
> > Thanks,
> > Kent
> > -----
> > not able to live without bacon fat

LOL Lee. We surely do beat an already dead horse in this group.

--
Brick said that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >
> > There are now some nifty looking microwave bacon cookers on Amazon.com
> > that I intend to try eventually. I'm trying not to use my credit card
> > much at the moment.

> i have tried several over the years and non work great but the best is
> called the wave i think, you open it lay the slices in snap is shut and
> nuke... it works fine enough but i still prefer it cooked in cast iron. Lee

I am just curious is all. <smiles>

I used to always cook it in cast iron, then switched to the deep fryer.

Now I just purchase the pre-cooked as we eat it so seldom!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Recently I had three containers of different age rendered bacon fat in the
> frig. I defrosted them in the microwavae and did a "fat taste". One didn't
> taste so hot so I discarded it. The rest tasted almost the same and were
> profoundly combined. I like the little deglazed granules on the bottom of
> the container. I think it's probably a good idea to taste the bacon fat
> before it goes into the fat pot.
>
> Kent

Whatever floats your boat Kent. :-)
I just scooped it out of the can as needed, but it is a treat around
here now as I rarely cook bacon from scratch any more.

When I got to the dregs containing the crispies, they got made into
gravy for biscuits.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jul-2010, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > >
> > > Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.

> > My mom did too.
> > She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
> >
> > I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.

> My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can even
> buy lye, now.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

Folks used to make their own lye by draining rain water through the ashes
from their coal fired pot bellied stoves. At least they did when I was a
tyke.
(We were partying around one of those stoves on Pearl Harbor Day. Partying
because it was my mother's birthday and we hadn't gotten the news yet.)
My daddy was 33 and a master machinist at Bendix Aviation so he managed
to avoid the draft. I was 5. For reasons still obscure to me, I wasn't
called.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 22-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > n article >,
> > "Kent" > wrote:
> >
> > > Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
> > > Will
> > > it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
> > >
> > > refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a
> > > thin
> > > layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing
> > > rib
> > > roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean
> > > meat
> > > when I don't want any flavor.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
> > >
> > > Kent

> > Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
> > ;-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Thanks Om. I was afraid to mention that. Mine has been next to the stove
> in a made to purpose aluminum can with a strainer built into the top and
> a tight fitting lid. It's been washed three or four times in the last 20
> years.
> When I think of it, I reheat the grease and strain it again.

Never be afraid to mention the truth! Mom kept it at room temp next to
the stove for years and just replaced the can from time to time if it
did not fit her personal standards.

Never got food poisoning from it either. I mean, come on! Bacon is
loaded with salt and nitrites! I've kept raw bacon in the back
refrigerator (at 40 degrees average) forgotten about for 6 months and
it's still been just fine.

Eggs (raw in the shell) also keep longer than some people care to admit.

> I render a pound or two of bacon at a time with my panini grill and catch
> all of the grease in the catcher cups that came with it. I then put the
> cooked bacon in a long flat tupperware container and keep it in the freezer.
> The bacon grease goes into the can. I find this method gives me the
> best control over the texture of the bacon and costs pretty much the
> least amount of effort. I suspect that the curing products contained
> in the bacon may have a lot of effect on the preservation of the grease.

<lol> See above.

> I don't really know or care. It works for me and the grease is always
> handy right where I want it.

Indeed. I wish we ate more bacon but I'm not a fan of the mess it tends
to make cooking it, hence my interest in a microwave bacon cooker. I can
harvest the fat off of it for cooking.

Bacon fat is food of the gods.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> > What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?

> They're filtered out by the built in strainer and discarded.

Oh Brick... you are missing a prime ingredient in bacon fat (and/or red
eye) gravy! :-(
--
Peace! Om

For Sky: More Bacon Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 2 12-08-2009 07:34 PM
Bacon In A Can -bwg General Cooking 40 22-06-2008 01:59 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM