Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bacon Fat

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Look at "Food Service Manual for Institutions" Scroll down to the top of
>>> page 633.
>>> http://books.google.com/books?id=SkZ...20lard&f=false
>>>
>>> Olive oil is fine for smoking. It breaks down at a relatively low
>>> temprature, and isn't suitable for grilling. I use the most tasteless
>>> vegetable oil I can find for that purpose.

>> It has a higher smoke point than your damn bacon fat! All oils
>> are going to break down at grilling temps, you dolt. Even the fat
>> in the beef itself!
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Of course it does, though only where the meat is exposed to the heat
> source directly. I apply bacon fat very thinly to the cut end of a
> standing rib roast. It seals somewhat the cut end. It gives the end of a
> unique kind of char flavor to the cut end piece.
>
> For steak, or any meat where the heat source is primarily direct, or via
> the grate, it certainly does break down.It, however, helps create the
> "char". I apply a very thin coat of canola oil. I get a better sear than
> if I don't, especially with a lean piece of meat. I also think it reduces
> the grey band slightly.
>
> I object to being called a dork. I am a certified nerd, but not a dolt. A
> dolt is one with the IQ level of a rock. "Dolt" may be the most
> sophisticated insult in the English language.
>
> I think it's time for you to have your periodic high colonic irrigtion.
> Putting a little phenobarbital in the enema solutioin will help.
>
> Kent

Sorry for the confusion in terms. I was wondering if you meant "dork" or
"dolt".

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Olive oil is fine for smoking. It breaks down at a relatively low
> temprature, and isn't suitable for grilling. I use the most tasteless
> vegetable oil I can find for that purpose.
>
> Kent

I don't use any oil for grilling. There is enough fat in the meats I
cook to take care of greasing the grills... Plus my grids are currently
well seasoned. All I ever do with them any more is brush them well
between uses. I never wash them with soap any more.

Grill brushes work fine. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Kent" > wrote:
> >
> >> The tasty granules are tasty and crucial! I'm going to use mine the next
> >> time I make red-eyed gravy

> > What is your recipe for red-eye gravy?
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Deglaze pan with ham stock. I always have ham stock on hand from the
> previous ham.

I may have to consider freezing ham or bacon stock. I generally freeze
my ham bones and skin, then make stock out of it when I want to make
beans, lentils or split peas.

> Add coffee to taste. It has to be high brow coffee, none of
> this instant stuff. Cook down a bit to enrichen. Add roux to degree of
> thickness I want. I always, or usually have roux on hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kent

Pre-made roux? Do you freeze it or what? Mom taught me to make roux in
the pan by forking flour into the bacon fat so it's made as needed. I
more often use corn starch or arrowroot for thickening tho' as wheat and
I do not get along. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just in the kitchen gadget section. But they can be hit or miss in
stores.. One store by me had them other didn't. Same in my GF's area
she wanted one on her stove. One store had them other didn't

"Stormmee" > wrote in
:

> what dept did you find it maybe we aren't looking in the right
> place... and if i can't find it i can go to site to store if i know
> the dept, thank you, Lee
> "Charly Horse" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> The Walmarts in DFW Tx area often carry them I've got one beside
>> the stove for the grease the dog doesn't get on his food. I don't
>> like the fine
>> grit from the pan in the grease so I line the upper strainer with a
>> cut out piece of a coffee filter.
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that
>>> strained it, you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and
>>> collected in the bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

With exception of using bacon fat I'm with you in cooking popcorn I
dislike microwaved / jiffy pop tin stuff. People laugh at me cos I do it
on the stove but I notice they eat my popcorn

Walt Lewis > wrote in
:

> I pop popcorn in it the old fashioned way. Put enough bacon greas in a
> pot to cover a piece of popcorn. Put two pieces in grease until they
> pop then add a single layer of popcorn and pop until finished.
>
> Salt and thank me later!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > What is your recipe for red-eye gravy?
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> Deglaze pan with ham stock. I always have ham stock on hand from the
>> previous ham.

> I may have to consider freezing ham or bacon stock. I generally freeze
> my ham bones and skin, then make stock out of it when I want to make
> beans, lentils or split peas.
>
>> Add coffee to taste. It has to be high brow coffee, none of
>> this instant stuff. Cook down a bit to enrichen. Add roux to degree of
>> thickness I want. I always, or usually have roux on hand.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Kent

> Pre-made roux? Do you freeze it or what? Mom taught me to make roux in
> the pan by forking flour into the bacon fat so it's made as needed. I
> more often use corn starch or arrowroot for thickening tho' as wheat and
> I do not get along. ;-)
> --

This will change your life! It changed mine when I dreamed this up years
ago.

In small pyrex bowl mix equal parts flour and extra virgin olive oil[2-10 or
so TB flour to 2-10 or so TB EVOO]. In general for a medium sauce you need
roux containing 1.5 TB of flour per cup of stock for a medium thickness
sauce. Mix thoroughly with small spoon, or whatever. Microwave on power
level 3 for 3 minutes and 33 seconds. Mix again thoroughly. At that point
you have a good white roux. You can make a brown roux by cooking longer.
I've come to the conclusion that most of the time it's not worth the effort
for brown sauces. You basically don't want raw flour in what you're making
and you want it to emulsify and create a smooth sauce. I will sometimes
microwave the roux twice if I'm making a brown sauce. For something like red
eye gravy once is plenty. With red eye, very small amount of roux will tie
everything together.

Couple of points: Olive oil works much better than the traditional
butter. Butter has an aqueous, or water fraction that messes everything up.
You can clarify butter, but that's too much work for me, and even that
doesn't work as well as EVOO. The EVOO results in a very smooth sauce.
Use the number 3 power level setting. Oil
absorbs microwave energy much more than anything water based. The 3 power
level works best always.
On the stove you can use less than a 1:1
flour/oil ratio. In the microwave you can't. The roux doesn't mix while
heating and things don't work out quite right.

Always make at least twice as much roux as you are going to use. Save the
rest in the frig. It's there when you need it.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> This will change your life! It changed mine when I dreamed this up years
> ago.
>
> In small pyrex bowl mix equal parts flour and extra virgin olive oil[2-10 or
> so TB flour to 2-10 or so TB EVOO]. In general for a medium sauce you need
> roux containing 1.5 TB of flour per cup of stock for a medium thickness
> sauce. Mix thoroughly with small spoon, or whatever. Microwave on power
> level 3 for 3 minutes and 33 seconds. Mix again thoroughly. At that point
> you have a good white roux. You can make a brown roux by cooking longer.
> I've come to the conclusion that most of the time it's not worth the effort
> for brown sauces. You basically don't want raw flour in what you're making
> and you want it to emulsify and create a smooth sauce. I will sometimes
> microwave the roux twice if I'm making a brown sauce. For something like red
> eye gravy once is plenty. With red eye, very small amount of roux will tie
> everything together.
>
> Couple of points: Olive oil works much better than the traditional
> butter. Butter has an aqueous, or water fraction that messes everything up.
> You can clarify butter, but that's too much work for me, and even that
> doesn't work as well as EVOO. The EVOO results in a very smooth sauce.
> Use the number 3 power level setting. Oil
> absorbs microwave energy much more than anything water based. The 3 power
> level works best always.
> On the stove you can use less than a 1:1
> flour/oil ratio. In the microwave you can't. The roux doesn't mix while
> heating and things don't work out quite right.
>
> Always make at least twice as much roux as you are going to use. Save the
> rest in the frig. It's there when you need it.
>
> Kent

Fascinating. :-) I've never heard of doing something like this. Even
tho' I cannot eat wheat flour any more, I will use it to cook for
others, then just prepare something else for myself.

Thanks!

I'm not opposed to using pre-prepared stuff even sometimes commercial
preps. I've recently been enjoying an Indian Ginger/Garlic paste from
the India spice section at Fiesta.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> This will change your life! It changed mine when I dreamed this up years
>> ago.
>>
>> In small pyrex bowl mix equal parts flour and extra virgin olive oil[2-10
>> or
>> so TB flour to 2-10 or so TB EVOO]. In general for a medium sauce you
>> need
>> roux containing 1.5 TB of flour per cup of stock for a medium thickness
>> sauce. Mix thoroughly with small spoon, or whatever. Microwave on power
>> level 3 for 3 minutes and 33 seconds. Mix again thoroughly. At that point
>> you have a good white roux. You can make a brown roux by cooking longer.
>> I've come to the conclusion that most of the time it's not worth the
>> effort
>> for brown sauces. You basically don't want raw flour in what you're
>> making
>> and you want it to emulsify and create a smooth sauce. I will sometimes
>> microwave the roux twice if I'm making a brown sauce. For something like
>> red
>> eye gravy once is plenty. With red eye, very small amount of roux will
>> tie
>> everything together.
>>
>> Couple of points: Olive oil works much better than the traditional
>> butter. Butter has an aqueous, or water fraction that messes everything
>> up.
>> You can clarify butter, but that's too much work for me, and even that
>> doesn't work as well as EVOO. The EVOO results in a very smooth sauce.
>> Use the number 3 power level setting. Oil
>> absorbs microwave energy much more than anything water based. The 3 power
>> level works best always.
>> On the stove you can use less than a 1:1
>> flour/oil ratio. In the microwave you can't. The roux doesn't mix while
>> heating and things don't work out quite right.
>>
>> Always make at least twice as much roux as you are going to use. Save the
>> rest in the frig. It's there when you need it.
>>
>> Kent

> Fascinating. :-) I've never heard of doing something like this. Even
> tho' I cannot eat wheat flour any more, I will use it to cook for
> others, then just prepare something else for myself.

why don't you find something you can eat that can serve as a thickening
agent? Corn starch, rice flour, potato starch, arrowroot, etc.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Wallace" > wrote:

> > Fascinating. :-) I've never heard of doing something like this. Even
> > tho' I cannot eat wheat flour any more, I will use it to cook for
> > others, then just prepare something else for myself.

> why don't you find something you can eat that can serve as a thickening
> agent? Corn starch, rice flour, potato starch, arrowroot, etc.

I do and I mentioned it in an earlier post dear. :-)
I most often use Arrowroot or Corn Starch.

I especially like the texture of Arrowroot. I have rice flour on hand
and use it for dredging and find it gives a MUCH crispier result than
wheat flour. Corn starch is even better tho' for that application.

I'm working on a rice flour tortilla.

It's just that alternatives cannot be called "roux" by definition, and I
know how picky internet cooks are. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Wallace" > wrote:
>
>> > Fascinating. :-) I've never heard of doing something like this. Even
>> > tho' I cannot eat wheat flour any more, I will use it to cook for
>> > others, then just prepare something else for myself.

>> why don't you find something you can eat that can serve as a thickening
>> agent? Corn starch, rice flour, potato starch, arrowroot, etc.

> I do and I mentioned it in an earlier post dear. :-)
> I most often use Arrowroot or Corn Starch.

Then why not serve that to the others as well?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Wallace" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news

> >> why don't you find something you can eat that can serve as a thickening
> >> agent? Corn starch, rice flour, potato starch, arrowroot, etc.

> > I do and I mentioned it in an earlier post dear. :-)
> > I most often use Arrowroot or Corn Starch.

> Then why not serve that to the others as well?

Depends on what I am cooking... Roux with wheat flour really does work
best for dishes such as SOS and Gumbo, and Red Eye Gravy. <g> It's a
flavor thing for the individual I may be cooking for.

I use Corn starch or Arrow Root 100% of the time for soups and sauces.
To some people, the texture is too slick. It really is not the same.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I have no use for the techno-babble. I use a lot of the best EVOO that
> I can get my hands on. It tastes good. I'm currently using Greek
> "Pegasus" brand made from Kalamata olives. It is 0.8% acidity for
> whatever that is worth. I use it for skillet frying and for all of my salad
> mixes. I use only canola oil in my deep fryer because it has the least
> taste of all the oils I've tried. I keep some peanut oil on hand, but
> actually don't use it. It's on hand for its unique taste if I need it. I
> use only canola oil on/at the grill. I don't like the taste of burnt olive
> oil and I do burn oil on my grill. I would deep fry with peanut oil if
> it didn't cost so damn much around here.
>
> Brick (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

And see, I detest Canola oil! <grins>
To me it tastes "stale".

But, tastes vary!

I use peanut oil exclusively for deep frying, Grape Seed oil for steaks
(most of the time) and inexpensive EVOO for most other frying. Bacon fat
for eggs when I have it available, or butter when I don't. :-)

I don't use any oil for smoking or BBQ unless it's some olive oil in a
marinade.

Sometimes, when I am deep frying bacon (excellent way to cook it by the
way!) I may end up with a delicious mix of peanut oil and bacon grease
in the deep fryer. I will then refrigerate the deep fryer (since I have
the space to do so) to preserve that mix for extended periods.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Omelet > wrote:
>In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > What is your recipe for red-eye gravy?
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> Deglaze pan with ham stock. I always have ham stock on hand from the
>> previous ham.

>I may have to consider freezing ham or bacon stock. I generally freeze
>my ham bones and skin, then make stock out of it when I want to make
>beans, lentils or split peas.
>
>> Add coffee to taste. It has to be high brow coffee, none of
>> this instant stuff. Cook down a bit to enrichen. Add roux to degree of
>> thickness I want. I always, or usually have roux on hand.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Kent

>Pre-made roux? Do you freeze it or what? Mom taught me to make roux in
>the pan by forking flour into the bacon fat so it's made as needed. I
>more often use corn starch or arrowroot for thickening tho' as wheat and
>I do not get along. ;-)

I'm trying to figure out this ru thing.

I got hungry last week for some green bean soup like mom used to make.
I settle on a recipe from the internet. It finally says to make that ru stuff.
I was going to do it, then somebody else stepped in. Not sure
whats its supposed to look like. Anyway the soup was fantastic.
Here is the recipe.
http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/green%20bean.htm
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 27, 11:25*am, wrote:

> That's called, "Different strokes for different folks". And that's the way
> it ought to be.
>
> Brick said that.-

The French say "chacun à son goût" which means "everybody likes their
own goo"

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

try rice flour next time, it is just the best... and you can make your own
from whatever rice you have on hand, just chuck some in the blender and
grind to fine, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > What is your recipe for red-eye gravy?
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> Deglaze pan with ham stock. I always have ham stock on hand from the
>> previous ham.

> I may have to consider freezing ham or bacon stock. I generally freeze
> my ham bones and skin, then make stock out of it when I want to make
> beans, lentils or split peas.
>
>> Add coffee to taste. It has to be high brow coffee, none of
>> this instant stuff. Cook down a bit to enrichen. Add roux to degree of
>> thickness I want. I always, or usually have roux on hand.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Kent

> Pre-made roux? Do you freeze it or what? Mom taught me to make roux in
> the pan by forking flour into the bacon fat so it's made as needed. I
> more often use corn starch or arrowroot for thickening tho' as wheat and
> I do not get along. ;-)
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

if you get that tortillia worked out please share here or in the other
group, i would love to share that with th SIL, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Wallace" > wrote:
>
>> > Fascinating. :-) I've never heard of doing something like this. Even
>> > tho' I cannot eat wheat flour any more, I will use it to cook for
>> > others, then just prepare something else for myself.

>> why don't you find something you can eat that can serve as a thickening
>> agent? Corn starch, rice flour, potato starch, arrowroot, etc.

> I do and I mentioned it in an earlier post dear. :-)
> I most often use Arrowroot or Corn Starch.
>
> I especially like the texture of Arrowroot. I have rice flour on hand
> and use it for dredging and find it gives a MUCH crispier result than
> wheat flour. Corn starch is even better tho' for that application.
>
> I'm working on a rice flour tortilla.
>
> It's just that alternatives cannot be called "roux" by definition, and I
> know how picky internet cooks are. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> if you get that tortillia worked out please share here or in the other
> group, i would love to share that with th SIL, Lee

I sure will Lee! :-)

I already know to line the Tortilla press with waxed paper or plastic
wrap.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> try rice flour next time, it is just the best... and you can make your own
> from whatever rice you have on hand, just chuck some in the blender and
> grind to fine, Lee

That's a cool idea. Thanks Lee!

I have rice flour in the freezer for now tho' that needs to be used up.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i will just keep looking for a bit, if i can't find it soon it will be time
for site to store, Lee
"Charly Horse" > wrote in message
. ..
> Just in the kitchen gadget section. But they can be hit or miss in
> stores.. One store by me had them other didn't. Same in my GF's area
> she wanted one on her stove. One store had them other didn't
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in
> :
>
>> what dept did you find it maybe we aren't looking in the right
>> place... and if i can't find it i can go to site to store if i know
>> the dept, thank you, Lee
>> "Charly Horse" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> The Walmarts in DFW Tx area often carry them I've got one beside
>>> the stove for the grease the dog doesn't get on his food. I don't
>>> like the fine
>>> grit from the pan in the grease so I line the upper strainer with a
>>> cut out piece of a coffee filter.
>>>
>>> "Stormmee" > wrote in
>>> :

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i too destest canola oil, tried several bottles before i figured out i just
hate it, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
>> I have no use for the techno-babble. I use a lot of the best EVOO that
>> I can get my hands on. It tastes good. I'm currently using Greek
>> "Pegasus" brand made from Kalamata olives. It is 0.8% acidity for
>> whatever that is worth. I use it for skillet frying and for all of my
>> salad
>> mixes. I use only canola oil in my deep fryer because it has the least
>> taste of all the oils I've tried. I keep some peanut oil on hand, but
>> actually don't use it. It's on hand for its unique taste if I need it. I
>> use only canola oil on/at the grill. I don't like the taste of burnt
>> olive
>> oil and I do burn oil on my grill. I would deep fry with peanut oil if
>> it didn't cost so damn much around here.
>>
>> Brick (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

> And see, I detest Canola oil! <grins>
> To me it tastes "stale".
>
> But, tastes vary!
>
> I use peanut oil exclusively for deep frying, Grape Seed oil for steaks
> (most of the time) and inexpensive EVOO for most other frying. Bacon fat
> for eggs when I have it available, or butter when I don't. :-)
>
> I don't use any oil for smoking or BBQ unless it's some olive oil in a
> marinade.
>
> Sometimes, when I am deep frying bacon (excellent way to cook it by the
> way!) I may end up with a delicious mix of peanut oil and bacon grease
> in the deep fryer. I will then refrigerate the deep fryer (since I have
> the space to do so) to preserve that mix for extended periods.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i bought a couple of bags, but it is like trying to buy gold around here,
not many places carry it and another net friend indicated she made her own,
so i tried it, now i am rarely without at least brown rice, sometimes
white... but since doing this i no longer buy it at all, and i just use
whatever container of rice i currently have in the cabinet... Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> try rice flour next time, it is just the best... and you can make your
>> own
>> from whatever rice you have on hand, just chuck some in the blender and
>> grind to fine, Lee

> That's a cool idea. Thanks Lee!
>
> I have rice flour in the freezer for now tho' that needs to be used up.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> i bought a couple of bags, but it is like trying to buy gold around here,
> not many places carry it and another net friend indicated she made her own,
> so i tried it, now i am rarely without at least brown rice, sometimes
> white... but since doing this i no longer buy it at all, and i just use
> whatever container of rice i currently have in the cabinet... Lee

I love that idea!
Especially since I nearly always have red and black rice dry on hand.

Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

now that would be great using different ones for different things, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> i bought a couple of bags, but it is like trying to buy gold around here,
>> not many places carry it and another net friend indicated she made her
>> own,
>> so i tried it, now i am rarely without at least brown rice, sometimes
>> white... but since doing this i no longer buy it at all, and i just use
>> whatever container of rice i currently have in the cabinet... Lee

> I love that idea!
> Especially since I nearly always have red and black rice dry on hand.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >
> >> i bought a couple of bags, but it is like trying to buy gold around here,
> >> not many places carry it and another net friend indicated she made her
> >> own,
> >> so i tried it, now i am rarely without at least brown rice, sometimes
> >> white... but since doing this i no longer buy it at all, and i just use
> >> whatever container of rice i currently have in the cabinet... Lee

> > I love that idea!
> > Especially since I nearly always have red and black rice dry on hand.
> >
> > Thanks!

> now that would be great using different ones for different things, Lee

It could get interesting...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> now that would be great using different ones for different things, Lee
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >
> >> i bought a couple of bags, but it is like trying to buy gold around
> >> here, not many places carry it and another net friend indicated she
> >> made her own,
> >> so i tried it, now i am rarely without at least brown rice, sometimes
> >> white... but since doing this i no longer buy it at all, and i just
> >> use whatever container of rice i currently have in the cabinet... Lee

> > I love that idea!
> > Especially since I nearly always have red and black rice dry on hand.

You might also try this:

Thai Khao Koor:

Get a medium sized wok fairly hot, and add a couple of tablespoons of
uncooked jasmine rice (or whatever). Adding some bai makruet (Kaffir lime
leaf) and lemongrass will make it even more aromatic. Keep in movement
until the rice starts to turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow
to cool. Grind to a fairly coarse powder in a spice mill, or a mortar and
pestle, or a pepper mill or a good clean coffee grinder (all of these work
well but keep in mind that a coffee grinder tends to grind too fine--the
powder should retain some "texture").

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

that sounds great, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> now that would be great using different ones for different things, Lee

>> > I love that idea!
>> > Especially since I nearly always have red and black rice dry on hand.

> You might also try this:
>
> Thai Khao Koor:
>
> Get a medium sized wok fairly hot, and add a couple of tablespoons of
> uncooked jasmine rice (or whatever). Adding some bai makruet (Kaffir lime
> leaf) and lemongrass will make it even more aromatic. Keep in movement
> until the rice starts to turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow
> to cool. Grind to a fairly coarse powder in a spice mill, or a mortar and
> pestle, or a pepper mill or a good clean coffee grinder (all of these work
> well but keep in mind that a coffee grinder tends to grind too fine--the
> powder should retain some "texture").
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
> http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

For Sky: More Bacon Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 2 12-08-2009 07:34 PM
Bacon In A Can -bwg General Cooking 40 22-06-2008 01:59 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM