Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bacon Fat

On 22-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> n article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > > What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?

> > They're filtered out by the built in strainer and discarded.

> Oh Brick... you are missing a prime ingredient in bacon fat (and/or red
> eye) gravy! :-(
> --
> Peace! Om

Not to worry Om. Nothing goes into my bacon grease can except
grease. There aren't any little bits to contend with. I get my grease
from my Cuisenart griller and all that comes out is clean grease.
The bacon is recovered with no little bits remaining.

And yes, I do know about redeye gravy and such delights.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jul-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained
> it,
> you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
> bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Omelet > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Most real Southerners keep it next to the stove in a can at room temp.
> >> ;-)

> > Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.
> >
> > --
> > Nick, KI6VAV.

Here's one exactly like mine:

I even tested the tinyurl and it works.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jul-2010, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "Stormmee" > wrote:
> > i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained
> > it, you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in
> > the
> > bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
> > []

> I don't remember Mom or Gramma straining it.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

They didn't need to Nick. They had steady hands and quit pouring
when they got down to the dregs.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> > I render a pound or two of bacon at a time with my panini grill and catch
> > all of the grease in the catcher cups that came with it. I then put the
> > cooked bacon in a long flat tupperware container and keep it in the freezer.
> > The bacon grease goes into the can. I find this method gives me the
> > best control over the texture of the bacon and costs pretty much the
> > least amount of effort. I suspect that the curing products contained
> > in the bacon may have a lot of effect on the preservation of the grease.

I just re-read this and it gives me an idea I've not tried. I don't
have a panini grill, but I do have a Hamilton electric grill and have
not tried cooking bacon in it. I can clean the grease trap and give
this a try. ;-) Thanks Brick!

Om -> with insomnia again...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 22-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > n article .com>,

> > > They're filtered out by the built in strainer and discarded.

> > Oh Brick... you are missing a prime ingredient in bacon fat (and/or red
> > eye) gravy! :-(
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Not to worry Om. Nothing goes into my bacon grease can except
> grease. There aren't any little bits to contend with. I get my grease
> from my Cuisenart griller and all that comes out is clean grease.
> The bacon is recovered with no little bits remaining.
>
> And yes, I do know about redeye gravy and such delights.

Ok. :-) Cheers!
You said you discarded them, so I was wondering...

I know you only want the clean grease in your can. I was referring to
those tasty granules that get strained out.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 22-Jul-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
> > i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that strained
> > it,
> > you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and collected in the
> > bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
> > >
> > > Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Nick, KI6VAV.

> Here's one exactly like mine:
>
> I even tested the tinyurl and it works.

Link please? <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:38:23 -0700, Kent wrote:
> > [stoopid sh*t deleted]
> > Why does everything have to be rocket science instead of common
> > sense?
> >
> > I notice you only attack certain people with your barrages of
> > followup questions as it's some sort of test.

> Because he's a k*nt!

Took me a sec' to get that. <lol>
Nice word play Nick. ;-D
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

what dept did you find it maybe we aren't looking in the right place... and
if i can't find it i can go to site to store if i know the dept, thank you,
Lee
"Charly Horse" > wrote in message
.. .

> The Walmarts in DFW Tx area often carry them I've got one beside the
> stove for the grease the dog doesn't get on his food. I don't like the
> fine
> grit from the pan in the grease so I line the upper strainer with a cut
> out piece of a coffee filter.
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in
> :
>
>> i would love to get my hands on one of those bacon holders that
>> strained it, you poured it in hot and it went through a seive and
>> collected in the bottom, can't find one anywhere, Lee
>>>
>>> Yep. That's what my Mother and Grandmother used ta do.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and
>>> their families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our
>>> Troops! http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
>>> ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i am not fond of the mechanics of cooking, i mean ME doing tit, if i had to
provide the DH such details we would eat out... its bacon fat, tht is a gift
and we should use it and enjoy it, Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 22-Jul-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> dude way too much detail here, either strain it or stir it and use it,
>> Lee

> . . .
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kent
>> > -----
>> > not able to live without bacon fat
>> >

> LOL Lee. We surely do beat an already dead horse in this group.
>
> --
> Brick said that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i can't enjoy the pre cooked, is fine for salads but i want that full load
experience when i do bacon, we rarely eat it as i have NO control, ...
portion of bacon= alll you have cooked is MY portion, btw what are you
eating? LOL, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > There are now some nifty looking microwave bacon cookers on Amazon.com
>> > that I intend to try eventually. I'm trying not to use my credit card
>> > much at the moment.

>> i have tried several over the years and non work great but the best is
>> called the wave i think, you open it lay the slices in snap is shut and
>> nuke... it works fine enough but i still prefer it cooked in cast iron.
>> Lee

> I am just curious is all. <smiles>
>
> I used to always cook it in cast iron, then switched to the deep fryer.
>
> Now I just purchase the pre-cooked as we eat it so seldom!
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

lol, i learned to make soap at my grandmother's knees, she made it until i
was grown, Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 22-Jul-2010, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:

>> > My mom did too.
>> > She used it too fast for it to get rancid.
>> >
>> > I personally refrigerate it and it lasts forever.

>> My Grandmother used to make lye soap with it. I don't think you can even
>> buy lye, now.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV.

> Folks used to make their own lye by draining rain water through the ashes
> from their coal fired pot bellied stoves. At least they did when I was a
> tyke.
> (We were partying around one of those stoves on Pearl Harbor Day. Partying
> because it was my mother's birthday and we hadn't gotten the news yet.)
> My daddy was 33 and a master machinist at Bendix Aviation so he managed
> to avoid the draft. I was 5. For reasons still obscure to me, I wasn't
> called.
>
> --
> Brick said that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> i can't enjoy the pre cooked, is fine for salads but i want that full load
> experience when i do bacon, we rarely eat it as i have NO control, ...
> portion of bacon= alll you have cooked is MY portion, btw what are you
> eating? LOL, Lee

I know exactly what you mean Lee. <lol> Nothing like fresh cooked bacon!
I am mostly using the pre-cooked to make BLT spring rolls. I wish you
could see them on my Picasa albums page. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> >> Yeah it does settle Marty but I'm just a single guy so anytime I'm
> >> using bacon fat Seems I'm near the bottom of can. and peaches
> >> sauteed
> >> in bacon doesn't sound so bad to me.

> > Ooh, that gives me an idea!
> >
> > I've honestly not tried grilling fruit yet and I plan to smoke those
> > pork ribs and some chicken tomorrow (Saturday). If I don't use any
> > mesquite and just stick with oak and hackberry (which I have plenty
> > of!), I can try some fruit. Fresh pineapples are reasonable right now,
> > and so are mangoes and nectarines.
> >

> > Would you want to make any kind of glaze to server over them?

> honey maple glase, Lee

Hmmmm... I do have a small bottle of REAL maple syrup in the pantry!

I'm not so sure of that on pineapple though?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

why??? it would just make me e gain weight!!! i swear when i could see i
could gain weight looking in a ww mag. lol, but i might have dh look at
them, he has been grumbling a bit about my sushi/roll habit lately and
threatening to make them, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> i can't enjoy the pre cooked, is fine for salads but i want that full
>> load
>> experience when i do bacon, we rarely eat it as i have NO control, ...
>> portion of bacon= alll you have cooked is MY portion, btw what are you
>> eating? LOL, Lee

> I know exactly what you mean Lee. <lol> Nothing like fresh cooked bacon!
> I am mostly using the pre-cooked to make BLT spring rolls. I wish you
> could see them on my Picasa albums page. <sigh>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

really good, take a chunk of pineapple and if you have a gas stove stick it
in the flame, then dip in the syrup then back in flame, think pineapple
upsidewn cake on steriods without those pesky carbs from the cake... alas, i
can't eat just fresh pineapple, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

>> > Ooh, that gives me an idea!
>> >
>> > I've honestly not tried grilling fruit yet and I plan to smoke those
>> > pork ribs and some chicken tomorrow (Saturday). If I don't use any
>> > mesquite and just stick with oak and hackberry (which I have plenty
>> > of!), I can try some fruit. Fresh pineapples are reasonable right now,
>> > and so are mangoes and nectarines.
>> >

>> > Would you want to make any kind of glaze to server over them?

>> honey maple glase, Lee

> Hmmmm... I do have a small bottle of REAL maple syrup in the pantry!
>
> I'm not so sure of that on pineapple though?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:

.. . .

> > Here's one exactly like mine:
> >
> > I even tested the tinyurl and it works.

> Link please? <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

I could have sworn I put that url in there the last time ???
Try this one. (It works for me)

http://tinyurl.com/22t9f5k

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > > I render a pound or two of bacon at a time with my panini grill and
> > > catch
> > > all of the grease in the catcher cups that came with it. I then put
> > > the
> > > cooked bacon in a long flat tupperware container and keep it in the
> > > freezer.
> > > The bacon grease goes into the can. I find this method gives me the
> > > best control over the texture of the bacon and costs pretty much the
> > > least amount of effort. I suspect that the curing products contained
> > > in the bacon may have a lot of effect on the preservation of the
> > > grease.

> I just re-read this and it gives me an idea I've not tried. I don't
> have a panini grill, but I do have a Hamilton electric grill and have
> not tried cooking bacon in it. I can clean the grease trap and give
> this a try. ;-) Thanks Brick!
>
> Om -> with insomnia again...
> --
> Peace! Om

I gave away a George Forman grill before I got this one. The GF didn't
have a panini type hinge so I couldn't do pressed sandwiches with it.
This one has a drain port at the right front corner that really works well.
I elevate the rear of the grill about 1/2 inch to enhance the draining
characteristic and it works real well. The fried bacon does not stick
together in the freezer, so it is quite convenient to make an instant
BLT or whatever.

I've just discovered a closeby source for raw pork bellies, so I'm
going to get some of that next and have some pure lard.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 22, 9:55*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Common sense. *Not rocket science. *How did you ever make
> decisions on your own? *What kind of doctor were you?

One with really high insurance premiums, that's for damn sure.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 23, 3:46*am, Omelet > wrote:

> Hmmmm... *I do have a small bottle of REAL maple syrup in the pantry!
>
> I'm not so sure of that on pineapple though?
> --

Pineapples have plenty of sugar already. Just grill that puppy raw.
You'll like it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> On Jul 23, 3:46*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm... *I do have a small bottle of REAL maple syrup in the pantry!
> >
> > I'm not so sure of that on pineapple though?
> > --

> Pineapples have plenty of sugar already. Just grill that puppy raw.
> You'll like it.

A slurry of brown sugar and Tabasco sauce makes a good glaze for grilled
pineapple.

monroe(heat ain't just for the meat)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I pop popcorn in it the old fashioned way. Put enough bacon greas in a
pot to cover a piece of popcorn. Put two pieces in grease until they
pop then add a single layer of popcorn and pop until finished.

Salt and thank me later!!

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:33:43 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig? Will
>it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
>refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a thin
>layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing rib
>roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean meat
>when I don't want any flavor.
>
>Any thoughts about this? What do you do?
>
>Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 23, 8:41*am, "monroe, of course" >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *tutall > wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 3:46*am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > Hmmmm... *I do have a small bottle of REAL maple syrup in the pantry!

> > > I'm not so sure of that on pineapple though?
> > > --

> > Pineapples have plenty of sugar already. Just grill that puppy raw.
> > You'll like it.

> A slurry of brown sugar and Tabasco sauce makes a good glaze for grilled
> pineapple.

Oooh, bet a pico de gallo powder with lime+chile would be good after
cooking it too

Just verified from a coworker, pico de gallo powder is good on any
fruit.

In deference to the original thread: ProTip: Use of bacon fat as a
personal lubricant is not advised.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

enjoy fresh side is also a favorite of mine, Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

>> I just re-read this and it gives me an idea I've not tried. I don't
>> have a panini grill, but I do have a Hamilton electric grill and have
>> not tried cooking bacon in it. I can clean the grease trap and give
>> this a try. ;-) Thanks Brick!
>>
>> Om -> with insomnia again...
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> I gave away a George Forman grill before I got this one. The GF didn't
> have a panini type hinge so I couldn't do pressed sandwiches with it.
> This one has a drain port at the right front corner that really works
> well.
> I elevate the rear of the grill about 1/2 inch to enhance the draining
> characteristic and it works real well. The fried bacon does not stick
> together in the freezer, so it is quite convenient to make an instant
> BLT or whatever.
>
> I've just discovered a closeby source for raw pork bellies, so I'm
> going to get some of that next and have some pure lard.
>
> --
> Brick said that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >
> >> i can't enjoy the pre cooked, is fine for salads but i want that full
> >> load
> >> experience when i do bacon, we rarely eat it as i have NO control, ...
> >> portion of bacon= alll you have cooked is MY portion, btw what are you
> >> eating? LOL, Lee

> > I know exactly what you mean Lee. <lol> Nothing like fresh cooked bacon!
> > I am mostly using the pre-cooked to make BLT spring rolls. I wish you
> > could see them on my Picasa albums page. <sigh>

> why??? it would just make me e gain weight!!! i swear when i could see i
> could gain weight looking in a ww mag. lol, but i might have dh look at
> them, he has been grumbling a bit about my sushi/roll habit lately and
> threatening to make them, Lee

They are fun. <grins>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> really good, take a chunk of pineapple and if you have a gas stove stick it
> in the flame, then dip in the syrup then back in flame, think pineapple
> upsidewn cake on steriods without those pesky carbs from the cake... alas, i
> can't eat just fresh pineapple, Lee

Hmmmm... Could be interesting.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 23-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > "Brick" > wrote:

> . . .
>

> > > Here's one exactly like mine:
> > >
> > > I even tested the tinyurl and it works.

> > Link please? <g>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I could have sworn I put that url in there the last time ???
> Try this one. (It works for me)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/22t9f5k

Hey that's cool. :-)

I like this one too:

<http://tinyurl.com/38grkw8>

Gotta watch those Amazon links. They can lead to lots of neat kitchen
gadgets. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> I gave away a George Forman grill before I got this one. The GF didn't
> have a panini type hinge so I couldn't do pressed sandwiches with it.
> This one has a drain port at the right front corner that really works well.
> I elevate the rear of the grill about 1/2 inch to enhance the draining
> characteristic and it works real well. The fried bacon does not stick
> together in the freezer, so it is quite convenient to make an instant
> BLT or whatever.
>
> I've just discovered a closeby source for raw pork bellies, so I'm
> going to get some of that next and have some pure lard.
>
> --
> Brick said that

Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> On Jul 23, 3:46*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm... *I do have a small bottle of REAL maple syrup in the pantry!
> >
> > I'm not so sure of that on pineapple though?
> > --

> Pineapples have plenty of sugar already. Just grill that puppy raw.
> You'll like it.

That is what I was thinking. :-)
I do like some sweets, but not TOO sweet...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/23/2010 10:04 AM, tutall wrote:
> On Jul 22, 9:55 pm, > wrote:
>

>> Common sense. Not rocket science. How did you ever make
>> decisions on your own? What kind of doctor were you?
>>

> One with really high insurance premiums, that's for damn sure.

Have you ever seen insurance premiums low? I just paid my auto
insurance, $400 for liability and comprehensive (6 month policy). I have
2 vehicles. Only 1 licensed driver in my household (me). The squirrels
and rabbits around can't get a license.

My record is as clean as a whistle.

I don't understand why I should have to pay an extra $250 for a second
vehicle. I can't drive 2 vehicles at the same time. I think the
insurance company has a separate code for second vehicle premiums that
they don't tell anyone. That code is AP, for additional profit :-)

Health Insurance premiums? Whole nother discussion, I don't want to get
into here.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

well ours is that on two and one is just liablity, the dh is the only
driver, he says if one of these cats would drive he would have life a lot
easier, lol, Lee
"bbq" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2010 10:04 AM, tutall wrote:
>> On Jul 22, 9:55 pm, > wrote:
>>

>>> Common sense. Not rocket science. How did you ever make
>>> decisions on your own? What kind of doctor were you?
>>>

>> One with really high insurance premiums, that's for damn sure.
>>

> Have you ever seen insurance premiums low? I just paid my auto insurance,
> $400 for liability and comprehensive (6 month policy). I have 2 vehicles.
> Only 1 licensed driver in my household (me). The squirrels and rabbits
> around can't get a license.
>
> My record is as clean as a whistle.
>
> I don't understand why I should have to pay an extra $250 for a second
> vehicle. I can't drive 2 vehicles at the same time. I think the insurance
> company has a separate code for second vehicle premiums that they don't
> tell anyone. That code is AP, for additional profit :-)
>
> Health Insurance premiums? Whole nother discussion, I don't want to get
> into here.
>
> BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bbq" > wrote
> Have you ever seen insurance premiums low? I just paid my auto insurance,
> $400 for liability and comprehensive (6 month policy). I have 2 vehicles.
> Only 1 licensed driver in my household (me). The squirrels and rabbits
> around can't get a license.

Their convoluted POV is that someone could borrow or steal the car while you
are driving the other. When my son, who had his own car and insurance, was
still living with us, the rates were such that they were covering him just
because he lived here.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
>> On 22-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > n article .com>,

>> > Oh Brick... you are missing a prime ingredient in bacon fat (and/or red
>> > eye) gravy! :-(
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om

>> Not to worry Om. Nothing goes into my bacon grease can except
>> grease. There aren't any little bits to contend with. I get my grease
>> from my Cuisenart griller and all that comes out is clean grease.
>> The bacon is recovered with no little bits remaining.
>>
>> And yes, I do know about redeye gravy and such delights.

> Ok. :-) Cheers!
> You said you discarded them, so I was wondering...
>
> I know you only want the clean grease in your can. I was referring to
> those tasty granules that get strained out.
> --
> Peace! Om

The tasty granules are tasty and crucial! I'm going to use mine the next
time I make red-eyed gravy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:38:23 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
>> What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
>> Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
>> What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
>> How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?

> Why does everything have to be rocket science instead of common
> sense?
>
> I notice you only attack certain people with your barrages of
> followup questions as it's some sort of test.
>
> -sw

The above is not an attack in any way. If you're a bacon fat junkie, you ask
yourself these questions routinely. I ask Om because she's very
knowledgeable, about this kind of question. I have a high regard for her.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:20:40 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>> The above is not an attack in any way. If you're a bacon fat junkie, you
>> ask
>> yourself these questions routinely. I ask Om because she's very
>> knowledgeable, about this kind of question. I have a high regard for
>> her.

> It's pure common sense, Kent. Om is not any more knowledgeable
> about storing bacon fat than anybody else here. I don't even use
> bacon fat and I gave you all the answers you could need.
>
> The only "high regard" she has is that she's stupid enough to play
> your game.
>
> -sw

All fats have a "shelf life" They exist without breakdown for a period of
time at room temp., a longer period of time referigerated, and an even
longer period when frozen. The shelf life for different fats is different.
There isn't anything to speak of published about the safety of keeping bacon
fat, as there is with lard. I was appropriately asking for the experience of
others in this group. I think it was a good and interesting thread.

Thanks to all for your thoughts about this.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:33:43 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
>> Will
>> it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
>> refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a
>> thin
>> layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing
>> rib
>> roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean
>> meat
>> when I don't want any flavor.
>>
>> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?

> Olive oil is reportedly the best oil to use for grilling/smoking
> as it cuts down on the carcinogens produced in the process.
>
> My family always kept bacon fat in a canister next to the sink.
> Some of the stuff at the bottom was probably 2-3 years old. Which
> is why I never use bacon fat for anything, except maybe a teaspoon
> for eggs when I just got done cooking bacon. Chicken fat is much
> better and more universal, IMO.
>
> -sw

Look at "Food Service Manual for Institutions" Scroll down to the top of
page 633.
http://books.google.com/books?id=SkZ...20lard&f=false

Olive oil is fine for smoking. It breaks down at a relatively low
temprature, and isn't suitable for grilling. I use the most tasteless
vegetable oil I can find for that purpose.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> The tasty granules are tasty and crucial! I'm going to use mine the next
> time I make red-eyed gravy

What is your recipe for red-eye gravy?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:38:23 -0700, Kent wrote:
> >
> >> Do you add new rendered bacon fat to the old?
> >> What do you do with the little tasty granules in the rendered fat?
> >> Do you separate the colored fat from the whiter fat?
> >> What do you do to use the oldest fast first?
> >> How old do you think your oldest bit of fat is?

> > Why does everything have to be rocket science instead of common
> > sense?
> >
> > I notice you only attack certain people with your barrages of
> > followup questions as it's some sort of test.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> The above is not an attack in any way. If you're a bacon fat junkie, you ask
> yourself these questions routinely. I ask Om because she's very
> knowledgeable, about this kind of question. I have a high regard for her.
>
> Kent

Thanks Kent.

Steve had no respect for me at all...<sigh>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:33:43 -0700, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Do any have an idea how long rendered bacon fat will last in the frig?
>>> Will
>>> it last as long as lard? When I saute bacon I always save the bacon fat,
>>> refrigerated. I "slather" roasts, steaks, and other lean meats with a
>>> thin
>>> layer of fat just before grilling. Slathering the cut ends of a standing
>>> rib
>>> roast gives it a very tasty mild "char". I also use PAM spray on lean
>>> meat
>>> when I don't want any flavor.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts about this? What do you do?

>> Olive oil is reportedly the best oil to use for grilling/smoking
>> as it cuts down on the carcinogens produced in the process.
>>
>> My family always kept bacon fat in a canister next to the sink.
>> Some of the stuff at the bottom was probably 2-3 years old. Which
>> is why I never use bacon fat for anything, except maybe a teaspoon
>> for eggs when I just got done cooking bacon. Chicken fat is much
>> better and more universal, IMO.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Look at "Food Service Manual for Institutions" Scroll down to the top of
> page 633.
> http://books.google.com/books?id=SkZ...20lard&f=false
>
> Olive oil is fine for smoking. It breaks down at a relatively low
> temprature, and isn't suitable for grilling. I use the most tasteless
> vegetable oil I can find for that purpose.
>
> Kent

I've seen different smoke temps for EVOO, but certainly regular olive oil
("pure olive oil") is quite suitable for high temp use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

likewise, clarified butter has a much higher smoke point than whole butter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> The tasty granules are tasty and crucial! I'm going to use mine the next
>> time I make red-eyed gravy

> What is your recipe for red-eye gravy?
> --
> Peace! Om

Deglaze pan with ham stock. I always have ham stock on hand from the
previous ham. Add coffee to taste. It has to be high brow coffee, none of
this instant stuff. Cook down a bit to enrichen. Add roux to degree of
thickness I want. I always, or usually have roux on hand.

Cheers,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:00:48 -0700, Kent wrote:

>>> Olive oil is reportedly the best oil to use for grilling/smoking
>>> as it cuts down on the carcinogens produced in the process.
>>>
>>> My family always kept bacon fat in a canister next to the sink.
>>> Some of the stuff at the bottom was probably 2-3 years old. Which
>>> is why I never use bacon fat for anything, except maybe a teaspoon
>>> for eggs when I just got done cooking bacon. Chicken fat is much
>>> better and more universal, IMO.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Look at "Food Service Manual for Institutions" Scroll down to the top of
>> page 633.
>> http://books.google.com/books?id=SkZ...20lard&f=false
>>
>> Olive oil is fine for smoking. It breaks down at a relatively low
>> temprature, and isn't suitable for grilling. I use the most tasteless
>> vegetable oil I can find for that purpose.

> It has a higher smoke point than your damn bacon fat! All oils
> are going to break down at grilling temps, you dolt. Even the fat
> in the beef itself!
>
> -sw

Of course it does, though only where the meat is exposed to the heat source
directly. I apply bacon fat very thinly to the cut end of a standing rib
roast. It seals somewhat the cut end. It gives the end of a unique kind of
char flavor to the cut end piece.

For steak, or any meat where the heat source is primarily direct, or via the
grate, it certainly does break down.It, however, helps create the "char". I
apply a very thin coat of canola oil. I get a better sear than if I don't,
especially with a lean piece of meat. I also think it reduces the grey band
slightly.

I object to being called a dork. I am a certified nerd, but not a dolt. A
dolt is one with the IQ level of a rock. "Dolt" may be the most
sophisticated insult in the English language.

I think it's time for you to have your periodic high colonic irrigtion.
Putting a little phenobarbital in the enema solutioin will help.

Kent

For Sky: More Bacon Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 2 12-08-2009 07:34 PM
Bacon In A Can -bwg General Cooking 40 22-06-2008 01:59 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM