Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Apprx cooking time for pork butt

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> > I've not had good luck with brisket. I'm considering a long
> > refrigerated marinade, like 48 hours.
> >

> Follow Big Jim's advice. Learn to cook the meat first. All the
> marinating and rubbing won't do any good, if you're not cooking the meat
> right.
>
> Trust me Big Jim is right.
>
> Ok, you can rub, but keep it simple. He has a 5 ingredient rub I think.
> Don't get caught up in marinating until you can cook the meat to a
> tenderness you're pleased with. You have fire skills now, so that
> should be easy..

I understand what you are saying, it's just that I find long, slow
cooked brisket to not have much flavor. It is why I want to consider
marinating it.

> And you probably already know this, but get a PACKER CUT brisket, not a
> trimmed one. You got knives, you can trim, if needed.

<lol> Packer cut is all I get, and what I currently have in the freezer.
It was on sale.

And I never trim them. I can cut fat I don't want to consume off of the
meat on my plate.

> >> Table top roaster same as Toaster Oven?

> > Nope! Not at all!
> >
> > Looksee he
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
> > ink>
> >

> I got one of those. I call it a BOOYA pot. Though it is small for a
> booya pot. Booya Pots are typically 50 gallon vats. Hard to cook, eat
> and freeze left overs for a home booya :-)
>
> > Made the best darned turkey I ever had.

> You have not barbecued one using Apple wood yet, have you?

No. But that bird (breast meat and all) came out SO moist!
Faster cooking times appear to be the secret for turkey.
Long slow cook, not so much.

> I'll send you 2 hockey puck size of apple if you want. Let me know..
> I got plenty of apple. Hope the chain saw still works. I need to get
> some disks for tomorrows chicken cook.

I can trade you some mesquite. <g>

> >> My camera seems to take a long time to get ready to take a pic. I turn
> >> it on and a red light flashes for over a minute before I can take a pic.
> >> Hope it's not a dieing camera. Only had it for 6 years and has not been
> >> used a lot...

> > Mine lasted about 7 years.
> > The camera I bought to replace it (Nikon Cool pix) was less than 1/2 the
> > price and more than twice the camera. Target had it on closeout for
> > $89.00. :-) :-) :-)
> >
> > I paid over $200.00 for the Fuji Finepix.
> >>

> I paid around $200 for my Olympus C-5000. Plenty of camera for me as it
> has dozens of features I have not learned to use..

Same for this under $100.00 Nikon. The feature selection is insane. <g>

> >> Looks like a night time picture.

> > In the kitchen against a black velour bathrobe as a backdrop.<g>
> >

> You and Joe should get together and put together a "food photography"
> CBT course !!!
>
> BBQ

<lol> Except I'm still a student!

I eventually plan to put up a food blog (with affiliate links to
Amazon.com to help pay for it!) and may consider a photography tips
section...

Could be fun. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/17/2010 9:51 PM, Brick wrote:
> On 17-Jul-2010, > wrote:
>
>> On 7/16/2010 3:42 PM, bbq wrote:
>>> On 7/14/2010 1:44 AM, Dana wrote:

> . . .
>

>> My notes on a brisket cook
>>
>> Brisket on WSM at 1:40 PM at 300° pit temp
>>
>> 2:25 Pit temp 275 meat temp 65
>> 3:00 Noticed the pit temp was going down, so I opened 2 of the bottom
>> vents to about 1/4 open from the 1/8 opened they were at.

> Surprise, surprise. You put a lot of cold meat in the pit and the
> temperature
> dropped. Jeez, I wonder how that happened.

I was not surprised it dropped, I know it is supposed to. I am one of
them that is afraid to let a brisket come to room temperature before it
goes on cooker.

>> 3:15 Pit Temp 275 meat temp 100
>> 4:00 Pit Temp 265 meat temp 132
>> 4:00 stirred up the coals a bit to bring the temp back up.
>> I started with a chimney full of hot coals and
>> filled the ring with unlit coals. It seems like the coals are
>> burning fast.
>> 4:40 Pit temp 265. Meat Temp 145
>> 4:40 added more unlit coals to the pit.
>> 5:00 added 1/2 chimney hot coals. Quickly brought pit temp to over
>> 300. Closed 2 vents to 1/8 or less opened.
>> 6:15 Pit Temp 280 Meat Temp 159
>> 6:15 added 2 large Hickory chunks
>> 6:40 Pit Temp 300 Meat Temp 165 (might be at the hang time now)
>> 7:30 Pit Temp 300 Meat Temp 181 (no hang time in this brisket)
>> 7:30 Flipped brisket. I started it fat side down(following Cuch's
>> suggestion Fat to the Fire). He cooked on a barrel type smoker
>> with an offset fire box. The WSM is a bullet style and a pan of
>> sand between the fire and the meat that is being cooked.

> Cuch meant fat to the heat. You have to know whether the most heat is
> above or below your meat. With a sand pan in the WSM, the highest heat
> may well be above the meat???

Didn't know that. Glad I posted my notes. I learned something. Thanks

>> 8:00 Pit Temp 280 Meat Temp 181 (Maybe it's at the hanging time now)

> 181 is past the hanging plateau.
>
>> 9:15 Pit Temp 300 Meat Temp 183(Hopefully it's past it's Hang)
>> 9:40 Pit Temp 290 Meat Temp 186(made it past its' hang)
>> 10:20 Pit Temp 280 Meat Temp 192(taking it off now and will let it
>> rest wrapped in foil for 20 minutes)

> like 192 for a good number to take it off.
>
>> 10:30 Pit Temp 280 Meat Temp 195. It is off and wrapped in foil as it
>> cools down to eating temperature

> Unless I'm going to hold it for awhile, I don't wrap or foil anymore. I just
> let it cool down until I can pack it.

Don't remember I had a late dinner with this, or just a couple of slices
for QC purposes..

>> Almost 9 hours for a 12.5 lb. brisket.

> It could be done quicker, but 9 hours is an okay number.

I was pleased with 9 hours, but have heard of 6 hour cooks from more
then person and would be really nice to see if I can do that.
I know, it's done when it's done. But some around in the barbecue
circles like the 12-16 hour cooks. Me, no, not unless necessary.

My peppers, I smoke for 12 hours in the summer. If more drying out is
needed, the dehydrator can finish them. In the winter months, more like
8 hours and the dehydrator will be used. They usually need more drying
after 8 hours..

>> This brisket was cooked at between 275 and 300 for the most part. Next
>> cook will try for 300° plus a little instead.

> It doesn't make sense to me to chase the pit temperature as if you were
> emulating an automatic oven. Just get the heat input right, (fire size) and
> let it go. It will equalize out when the cold meat starts warming up.
> Raising
> the pit temp, just produces excess bark.
>
> I cooked a couple of pork butts and a beef eye of round today. With the fire
> about
> the same size throughout, the pit temp varied from about 225 at the
> beginning
> to about 275 near the end. (NB Offset). Before I put the meat in, the pit
> was
> stabilized at about 270 using RO Lump with some big citrus chunks for smoke.
>

>> BBQ

> That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nice story. No reason to NOT stick to it !

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/17/2010 10:56 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/2010 9:09 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,
>>>
>>> I totally understand! I actually had the mortgage paid off once, but had
>>> to refinance for home repairs/improvements and debt consolidation. They
>>> wanted a 15 year, I told them 10. With a fixed interest rate.
>>>

>> Fixed is the way to go. YES!

>> You need to be pretty up on things financially
>> and have access to $$$ to take on the risk of an adjustable.

> I'd never go with adjustible.

A mortgage is a risk. An adjustable is an additional risk. This is
what finance people don't explain well..

>> I don't
>> know anyone in that position. Especially a couple in their mid 20's
>> buying a $275K house. Don't think they made it 2 years. Maybe the
>> marriage collapsed before the house was taken over by the bank. Don't
>> know the details.

> Foolish and unrealistic?

Might have been romance. It is a nice home. Built in 95. My friend sold
it to them in 04 I think. I asked friend how the hell can then make
them kind of payments. He said I don't know and don't care. The bank
loaned them the money and I got mine.... :-)

>>> I'm never late with the mortgage. It's my #1 top priority bill! It's
>>> set up on an auto-debit and I make sure the account will cover it.
>>>

>> That is the only thing I autopay. I did it with a lawn service for
>> chemical treatment and they did other work, they "thought I approved"
>> and took the money from the account. Didn't bother trying to get a
>> refund. Just would not allow them to do any work the next year.

> Oops.<g> And you call ME optimistic?<g>

I should have called and argued. As far as I am concerned, they stole
$125.00 from me. Of course, since they did work, they don't see it that
way. I know damn well, I never agreed to the service. But how can I
prove it?

So I let it be. They just won't get a good reference from me or
additional business either. They stole $125 and lost from me $1000
worth of business since. And it grows each year...
And they will be calling me next spring and if I have the time, will yap
with them, wasting their time !!!! They will never be allowed to do work
for me again...

>> Well gee sir, we're sorry for the misunderstanding, we can give you a
>> discount on the last treatment this year. Ah, discount needs to be NOW.
>> Not after I give you another $400.
>>
>>> I really do not understand people that lose their houses due to not
>>> paying their mortgage... when they have 35K SUV's, flat screen tv's,
>>> I-phones, etc. Their priorities are screwed imho.
>>>

>> Agree. I have been limping along with "good runners" for vehicles for 6
>> years. One is an 89 Plymouth Voyager passenger van, looks and runs
>> good. Though has 220K miles on it. The other is an 89 Toyota Camry,
>> looks good and runs well to. 110K miles on that. Needs battery an tires
>> now.

> Oy. And I thought I was bad with a reliable '98 Chevy S-10 pickup!

Why think it is bad to have a reliable older vehicle? In MN, we have
rust issues to deal with. Don't know if you do in TX or not. My
Plymouth has some, was repainted at some point, but hardly noticeable.

The Camry has a bit more, but still is not bad, IMO.

If a vehicle is reliable, keep it. Though in MN, because of the rust
issues, understand wanting/getting a new vehicle to have something that
looks good to.

I had a 94 S-10 Blazer, bought in 2000. Very nice, comfortable vehicle
to drive. Maintenance was costly. Fuel injection problems twice that
cost nearly $1K. Front end fell apart, about $1K, couple of other
repairs over $500, plus brakes and water pump that I was able to do
myself. Ended up giving it to the Vietnam Veterans Association. They
got it for training purposes I think and I got a $500 deduction on taxes.

>>> I work this weekend so will thaw those pork ribs I bought later this
>>> week for next weekend.
>>>

>> I almost bought a NY Strip, around $6.00, but opted for the whole
>> chicken instead.... Mind changes pushing around a cart :-)

> Yes, it does! Even stuff on sale that we don't really need.<sigh>

>>> Salad?<g>

>> Sadly, I don't keep salad fixings around on a regular basis. Too much
>> goes to waste. Had some wings, and a couple of beef hot dogs with
>> onions. At least I got some vegetables...

> <lol> Not even any cans???

I don't buy canned veggies. But usually have some frozen stuff
available in the freezer.
I did add V8 to a beer though. Does that count ? :-)

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/17/2010 11:09 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> I've not had good luck with brisket. I'm considering a long
>>> refrigerated marinade, like 48 hours.
>>>

>> Follow Big Jim's advice. Learn to cook the meat first. All the
>> marinating and rubbing won't do any good, if you're not cooking the meat
>> right.
>>
>> Trust me Big Jim is right.
>>
>> Ok, you can rub, but keep it simple. He has a 5 ingredient rub I think.
>> Don't get caught up in marinating until you can cook the meat to a
>> tenderness you're pleased with. You have fire skills now, so that
>> should be easy..

> I understand what you are saying, it's just that I find long, slow
> cooked brisket to not have much flavor. It is why I want to consider
> marinating it.

Ok, sounds like you can cook the meat good, just need an OM kicker for
taste. Don't know of a recommended marinate.

>> And you probably already know this, but get a PACKER CUT brisket, not a
>> trimmed one. You got knives, you can trim, if needed.

> <lol> Packer cut is all I get, and what I currently have in the freezer.
> It was on sale.

Jealous!!!! The best I can get packer cuts are at Walmart Supercenter
stores. $2.19 lb. The butcher I go to nearby (for lump, maybe brats to)
$3.69 lb...

If I could figure out a way to get the 99 cents briskets up to Minnesota
without going bad, I might be able to sell them to independent meat stores.

But gotta introduce Minnesotans to brisket and the proper way to cook
them. I can do that to ;-)

> And I never trim them. I can cut fat I don't want to consume off of the
> meat on my plate.

I may or may not depending on the thickness of the fat cap..

>>> Nope! Not at all!
>>>
>>> Looksee he
>>>
>>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
>>> ink>
>>>

>> I got one of those. I call it a BOOYA pot. Though it is small for a
>> booya pot. Booya Pots are typically 50 gallon vats. Hard to cook, eat
>> and freeze left overs for a home booya :-)
>>
>>> Made the best darned turkey I ever had.

>> You have not barbecued one using Apple wood yet, have you?

> No. But that bird (breast meat and all) came out SO moist!
> Faster cooking times appear to be the secret for turkey.
> Long slow cook, not so much.
>

>> I'll send you 2 hockey puck size of apple if you want. Let me know..
>> I got plenty of apple. Hope the chain saw still works. I need to get
>> some disks for tomorrows chicken cook.

> I can trade you some mesquite.<g>

Ok, send me an address.

>>> Mine lasted about 7 years.
>>> The camera I bought to replace it (Nikon Cool pix) was less than 1/2 the
>>> price and more than twice the camera. Target had it on closeout for
>>> $89.00. :-) :-) :-)
>>>
>>> I paid over $200.00 for the Fuji Finepix.
>>>>

>> I paid around $200 for my Olympus C-5000. Plenty of camera for me as it
>> has dozens of features I have not learned to use..

> Same for this under $100.00 Nikon. The feature selection is insane.<g>

>>> In the kitchen against a black velour bathrobe as a backdrop.<g>
>>>

>> You and Joe should get together and put together a "food photography"
>> CBT course !!!
>>
>> BBQ

> <lol> Except I'm still a student!

Who cares, students can be good teachers to !!!

> I eventually plan to put up a food blog (with affiliate links to
> Amazon.com to help pay for it!) and may consider a photography tips
> section...
>
> Could be fun. :-)

Always..

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/18/2010 12:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 20:14:49 -0700, Denny Wheeler wrote:

>>> Krispy Kreme?
>>>
>>> My memory is shot right now. I think you're referring to the
>>> CostCo smoker, but it ****es me off I can't remember the name of
>>> it right now...

>> Isn't KK the Komodo Kamado?

> Could be., Don't hear it mentioned here too often. The other
> smoker I was thinking of was the Napolean Apollo (CostCo). Still
> toying with the idea of buying one next week. Still waiting for
> some more reviews though.
>
> Here's a video comparison of the WSM vs. the NA (or an earlier
> model of it). The water pan does look pretty big. Seems as if it
> would block a lot of the heat unnecessarily.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UFWM31M_U&NR=1
>
> -sw

Costco gave me a "preview pass". I walked around the store a bit. They
didn't have the Apollo on the floor. Didn't have much in outdoor
cooking equipment. Wish I would have seen the Apollo you mentioned the
other week.. Seems like a nice unit.

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2010, bbq > wrote:

> On 7/17/2010 9:51 PM, Brick wrote:
> > On 17-Jul-2010, > wrote:

.. . .

> > I cooked a couple of pork butts and a beef eye of round today. With the
> > fire
> > about
> > the same size throughout, the pit temp varied from about 225 at the
> > beginning
> > to about 275 near the end. (NB Offset). Before I put the meat in, the
> > pit
> > was
> > stabilized at about 270 using RO Lump with some big citrus chunks for
> > smoke.
> >

> >> BBQ

Just a note about that "Beef Eye of Round". This is the second one I've
done one and I can say now that this cut of meat is like a pitmasters
secret.
Yeh, it's lean as hell and you're not going to shred it, but thin sliced or
chopped, it makes a killer sandwich. "I say, I say son", this stuff tastes
good. It is tender enough to eat as is, but just. I like to shave or chop
it for sandwiches. It works very nicely with onions and cheese on a nice
bun a la 'Philly Cheese'. Oh yeh, it's $2.49/lb and no waste. I used the
same rub as the butts, (bayou blast) and cooked it to about 170F. No
point in cooking it further. There is no collagen to break down.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:33:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

> >> It is my first pork on the KK. Thank you so much for
> >> introducing me to it. It just came last Wed, and I have
> >> been doing shorter cooks on it so far.

> >Krispy Kreme?
> >
> >My memory is shot right now. I think you're referring to the
> >CostCo smoker, but it ****es me off I can't remember the name of
> >it right now...

> Isn't KK the Komodo Kamado?

The cognoscenti DO,in fact, refer to the Komodo Kamado as KK.
Check out the site-they have a great active forum.

monroe(savin' my pennies for one of them)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

<snippety>
> Cuch meant fat to the heat. You have to know whether the most heat is
> above or below your meat. With a sand pan in the WSM, the highest heat
> may well be above the meat???

<sniprest>

I've always understood that it's fat side up for offsets/horizontal
cookers and fat side down for vertically oriented cookers.

monroe(from the back of the class)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 18, 10:06*am, "monroe, of course" >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> *"Brick" > wrote:
>
> <snippety>> Cuch meant fat to the heat. You have to know whether the most heat is
> > above or below your meat. With a sand pan in the WSM, the highest heat
> > may well be above the meat???

> <sniprest>
>
> I've always understood that it's fat side up for offsets/horizontal
> cookers and fat side down for vertically oriented cookers.
>
> monroe(from the back of the class)

Look what the hungry dog dug up! Good to see ya Monroe.

Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
anyone seemed to agree.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:

> Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
> brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
> anyone seemed to agree.

I think two main AFB proponants of this approach are
TFM and myself, though there may be more.

In any case it's not a hard and fast rule, i.e. if you didn't
cook it fat side towards the heat it's not like it would be
completely ruined.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> I think two main AFB proponants of this approach are
> TFM and myself, though there may be more.
>
> In any case it's not a hard and fast rule, i.e. if you didn't
> cook it fat side towards the heat it's not like it would be
> completely ruined.

I have a vertical cooker and i tend to use fairly sugary rubs (I'm an
avid 'bark biter',if you will) so I always have grill sticking issues at
the end of lo-n-slos. Fat stuck to the grill is not as big a waste as
meat stuck to the grill. Also,I don't buy the claim that fat side up
cooking 'bastes' the meat to any improvement.

monroe(baste rhymes with waste)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> Look what the hungry dog dug up! Good to see ya Monroe.

Backatcha. I figger a quick de-lurk ain't gonna harm nobody.

> Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
> brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
> anyone seemed to agree.

Agree? AFB folks can't usually come to a consensus about sky being blue
and grass being green!
Now, ribs I always do bone side down. Let the most inedible part of the
meal be a heat shield for the good stuff.

monroe(fat to the fire)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/18/2010 7:25 AM, Brick wrote:

> Just a note about that "Beef Eye of Round". This is the second one I've
> done one and I can say now that this cut of meat is like a pitmasters
> secret.
> Yeh, it's lean as hell and you're not going to shred it, but thin sliced or
> chopped, it makes a killer sandwich. "I say, I say son", this stuff tastes
> good. It is tender enough to eat as is, but just. I like to shave or chop
> it for sandwiches. It works very nicely with onions and cheese on a nice
> bun a la 'Philly Cheese'. Oh yeh, it's $2.49/lb and no waste. I used the
> same rub as the butts, (bayou blast) and cooked it to about 170F. No
> point in cooking it further. There is no collagen to break down.

Nice notes about the Eye of Round. I have bought them when I can get
them for $1.99. Like you say, not a lot of waste, so you can end up with
lots of meat for sandwiches and such..

I brined one once for Corned Beef. Don't remember how it came out..
Would do it again though...

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 18, 12:53*pm, "monroe, of course" >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *tutall > wrote:
>
> > Look what the hungry dog dug up! Good to see ya Monroe.

> Backatcha. I figger a quick de-lurk ain't gonna harm nobody.
>
> > Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
> > brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
> > anyone seemed to agree.

> Agree? AFB folks can't usually come to a consensus about sky being blue
> and grass being green!

You misunderstood me, I agreed with your understanding that someone
here posited that.

I know it for the idiocy it represents, all good Americans know the
fat goes sideways and wide.

I got a book I'm selling that proves it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/18/2010 2:53 PM, monroe, of course wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>

>> Look what the hungry dog dug up! Good to see ya Monroe.

> Backatcha. I figger a quick de-lurk ain't gonna harm nobody.
>
>> Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
>> brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
>> anyone seemed to agree.

> Agree? AFB folks can't usually come to a consensus about sky being blue
> and grass being green!

The sky was not blue around here yesterday. Kinda grayish. :-)

Glad to see you around again..

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> A mortgage is a risk. An adjustable is an additional risk. This is
> what finance people don't explain well..

I'd think it was obvious... if you bothered to read your contract before
signing it!

> >> That is the only thing I autopay. I did it with a lawn service for
> >> chemical treatment and they did other work, they "thought I approved"
> >> and took the money from the account. Didn't bother trying to get a
> >> refund. Just would not allow them to do any work the next year.

> > Oops.<g> And you call ME optimistic?<g>

> I should have called and argued. As far as I am concerned, they stole
> $125.00 from me. Of course, since they did work, they don't see it that
> way. I know damn well, I never agreed to the service. But how can I
> prove it?
>
> So I let it be. They just won't get a good reference from me or
> additional business either. They stole $125 and lost from me $1000
> worth of business since. And it grows each year...
> And they will be calling me next spring and if I have the time, will yap
> with them, wasting their time !!!! They will never be allowed to do work
> for me again...

Hire local day labor.
They work for less and do a good job as a general rule.

> >> Agree. I have been limping along with "good runners" for vehicles for 6
> >> years. One is an 89 Plymouth Voyager passenger van, looks and runs
> >> good. Though has 220K miles on it. The other is an 89 Toyota Camry,
> >> looks good and runs well to. 110K miles on that. Needs battery an tires
> >> now.

> > Oy. And I thought I was bad with a reliable '98 Chevy S-10 pickup!

> Why think it is bad to have a reliable older vehicle? In MN, we have
> rust issues to deal with. Don't know if you do in TX or not. My
> Plymouth has some, was repainted at some point, but hardly noticeable.

It needs some body work and a new windshield. <g>
But at least I finally got the manifold fixed!

Next is the AC.

> The Camry has a bit more, but still is not bad, IMO.
>
> If a vehicle is reliable, keep it.

I intend to. Plus it gets 23 mpg and has right around 150K on it.

> Though in MN, because of the rust
> issues, understand wanting/getting a new vehicle to have something that
> looks good to.
>
> I had a 94 S-10 Blazer, bought in 2000. Very nice, comfortable vehicle
> to drive. Maintenance was costly. Fuel injection problems twice that
> cost nearly $1K. Front end fell apart, about $1K, couple of other
> repairs over $500, plus brakes and water pump that I was able to do
> myself. Ended up giving it to the Vietnam Veterans Association. They
> got it for training purposes I think and I got a $500 deduction on taxes.

Whatever works!

> >> Sadly, I don't keep salad fixings around on a regular basis. Too much
> >> goes to waste. Had some wings, and a couple of beef hot dogs with
> >> onions. At least I got some vegetables...

> > <lol> Not even any cans???
> >

> I don't buy canned veggies. But usually have some frozen stuff
> available in the freezer.
> I did add V8 to a beer though. Does that count ? :-)
>

> BBQ

Depends on the POV. <g>
I don't use a lot of canned veggies, but the "no salt added" varieties
are not so bad...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> > I understand what you are saying, it's just that I find long, slow
> > cooked brisket to not have much flavor. It is why I want to consider
> > marinating it.
> >

> Ok, sounds like you can cook the meat good, just need an OM kicker for
> taste. Don't know of a recommended marinate.

No brine, that's for sure!
Brining does not work with beef. Been there, done that, ended up tossing
the meat in the trash and I almost never do that. Between the salt and
the over-use of mesquite, it was not salvageable. <sigh>

Likely keep it simple and make it like an italian dressing or some such,
or maybe something with pineapple.

> >> And you probably already know this, but get a PACKER CUT brisket, not a
> >> trimmed one. You got knives, you can trim, if needed.

> > <lol> Packer cut is all I get, and what I currently have in the freezer.
> > It was on sale.

> Jealous!!!! The best I can get packer cuts are at Walmart Supercenter
> stores. $2.19 lb. The butcher I go to nearby (for lump, maybe brats to)
> $3.69 lb...

The one I currently have in the freezer was $.99, but $1.59 is more
typical. They are insane trying to charge that for such a tough cut of
meat.

> If I could figure out a way to get the 99 cents briskets up to Minnesota
> without going bad, I might be able to sell them to independent meat stores.

Get them in the dead of winter. :-)

> But gotta introduce Minnesotans to brisket and the proper way to cook
> them. I can do that to ;-)
>
> >> I'll send you 2 hockey puck size of apple if you want. Let me know..
> >> I got plenty of apple. Hope the chain saw still works. I need to get
> >> some disks for tomorrows chicken cook.

> > I can trade you some mesquite.<g>
> >

> Ok, send me an address.

I'll take this to private e-mail. :-)

> >> You and Joe should get together and put together a "food photography"
> >> CBT course !!!
> >>
> >> BBQ

> > <lol> Except I'm still a student!

> Who cares, students can be good teachers to !!!

<shrugs> Sometimes...

> > I eventually plan to put up a food blog (with affiliate links to
> > Amazon.com to help pay for it!) and may consider a photography tips
> > section...
> >
> > Could be fun. :-)

> Always..
>
> BBQ

Cheers!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/18/2010 8:48 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> I understand what you are saying, it's just that I find long, slow
>>> cooked brisket to not have much flavor. It is why I want to consider
>>> marinating it.
>>>

>> Ok, sounds like you can cook the meat good, just need an OM kicker for
>> taste. Don't know of a recommended marinate.

> No brine, that's for sure!
> Brining does not work with beef. Been there, done that, ended up tossing
> the meat in the trash and I almost never do that. Between the salt and
> the over-use of mesquite, it was not salvageable.<sigh>
>
> Likely keep it simple and make it like an italian dressing or some such,
> or maybe something with pineapple.

Take it you don't like corned beef or pastrami. I like both, but don't
have it anymore because of the 1200 MG sodium per 1/4 lb of meat. A
sandwich would be probably 1/3 lb 1800 MG, bread is gonna have some,
maybe 300, the mustard a bit, the pickle spear a bit, the potato salad,
up there probably at 500 MG.

Then I still need to eat for the rest of the day !!!

>>> <lol> Packer cut is all I get, and what I currently have in the freezer.
>>> It was on sale.

>> Jealous!!!! The best I can get packer cuts are at Walmart Supercenter
>> stores. $2.19 lb. The butcher I go to nearby (for lump, maybe brats to)
>> $3.69 lb...

> The one I currently have in the freezer was $.99, but $1.59 is more
> typical. They are insane trying to charge that for such a tough cut of
> meat.
>

>> If I could figure out a way to get the 99 cents briskets up to Minnesota
>> without going bad, I might be able to sell them to independent meat stores.

> Get them in the dead of winter. :-)

They were 99 cents for the July 4 th sale.

A freezer truck can be rented, but that gets expensive quickly !!

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i have always contended that the only people who should be legally allowed
out of their sleeping accomodations before noon are the federal sharp
shooters that take care of violators, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> there are only two reasons to get up before eight, one is adult beverages
>> and the other includes another adult, Lee

> Thanks for the morning chuckle Lee! <lol>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> Just a note about that "Beef Eye of Round". This is the second one I've
> done one and I can say now that this cut of meat is like a pitmasters
> secret.
> Yeh, it's lean as hell and you're not going to shred it, but thin sliced or
> chopped, it makes a killer sandwich. "I say, I say son", this stuff tastes
> good. It is tender enough to eat as is, but just. I like to shave or chop
> it for sandwiches. It works very nicely with onions and cheese on a nice
> bun a la 'Philly Cheese'. Oh yeh, it's $2.49/lb and no waste. I used the
> same rub as the butts, (bayou blast) and cooked it to about 170F. No
> point in cooking it further. There is no collagen to break down.

How did it come out at that temperature? Medium rare? The sirloin I
roasted the other day was bloody rare at 120. I googled that temp on one
of the beef websites. I'd never tried making roast beast before as I did
not own a proper temp monitor. I bought a Polder a short while back so
I could do meat "right". ;-)

I did a quick looksee on the web before starting it in the convection
oven as I did not know what temp to use for rare. On reflection, that
was a bit low. <g> I've been slicing it thin and using it in pho' and I
really do happen to like raw to almost raw beef anyway... I cooked it
at 375. While the roast was indeed bloody rare (almost raw really), it
was hot to the center.

So what is a good internal temp to shoot for for rare roast? (This roast
was about 2" thick and I'm thawing the other one from the two pack to
try it again) and how does one place the probe properly? The probe is
about 4" long. The roast is boneless.

It was similar in price to what you paid too.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"monroe, of course" > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> <snippety>
> > Cuch meant fat to the heat. You have to know whether the most heat is
> > above or below your meat. With a sand pan in the WSM, the highest heat
> > may well be above the meat???

> <sniprest>
>
> I've always understood that it's fat side up for offsets/horizontal
> cookers and fat side down for vertically oriented cookers.
>
> monroe(from the back of the class)

I have a horizontal/offset smoker.

To me, fat side up makes the most sense? After all, gravity works and
you want the fat to baste the meat as it melts. Cooking fat side down
does not compute?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> On 7/18/2010 2:53 PM, monroe, of course wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Look what the hungry dog dug up! Good to see ya Monroe.

> > Backatcha. I figger a quick de-lurk ain't gonna harm nobody.
> >
> >> Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
> >> brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
> >> anyone seemed to agree.

> > Agree? AFB folks can't usually come to a consensus about sky being blue
> > and grass being green!

> The sky was not blue around here yesterday. Kinda grayish. :-)
>
> Glad to see you around again..
>
> BBQ

We had a glorious thunderstorm last night!

Hi Monroe! I'm new enough here I don't recognize you, but <waves>
anyway. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> > No brine, that's for sure!
> > Brining does not work with beef. Been there, done that, ended up tossing
> > the meat in the trash and I almost never do that. Between the salt and
> > the over-use of mesquite, it was not salvageable.<sigh>
> >
> > Likely keep it simple and make it like an italian dressing or some such,
> > or maybe something with pineapple.
> >

> Take it you don't like corned beef or pastrami. I like both, but don't
> have it anymore because of the 1200 MG sodium per 1/4 lb of meat. A
> sandwich would be probably 1/3 lb 1800 MG, bread is gonna have some,
> maybe 300, the mustard a bit, the pickle spear a bit, the potato salad,
> up there probably at 500 MG.
>
> Then I still need to eat for the rest of the day !!!

I've been eating low sodium now for 18 years. I've totally lost my
taste for most high salt foods. (I make an exception for bacon.<g>).
I can't even stand hot dogs or luncheon meats anymore, altho' some lunch
meats (like sliced ham) are bearable if the salt is diluted out with the
addition of other foods like using it in a salad.

It's gotten really hard to even eat "out" any more. <sigh>

> >> Jealous!!!! The best I can get packer cuts are at Walmart Supercenter
> >> stores. $2.19 lb. The butcher I go to nearby (for lump, maybe brats to)
> >> $3.69 lb...

> > The one I currently have in the freezer was $.99, but $1.59 is more
> > typical. They are insane trying to charge that for such a tough cut of
> > meat.
> >

> >> If I could figure out a way to get the 99 cents briskets up to Minnesota
> >> without going bad, I might be able to sell them to independent meat stores.

> > Get them in the dead of winter. :-)
> >

> They were 99 cents for the July 4 th sale.
>
> A freezer truck can be rented, but that gets expensive quickly !!
>
> BBQ

Well, if somebody had good storage space until winter... <g>
But, it's better shipped fresh.

The key, my friend, is bulk buying. You know how much I invested in
that chinese importing deal...

I'll be able to sell the tape for twice what I paid, and still undercut
the current market by 60% to 70%. :-)

Now I just have to build that damned website!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >
> >> there are only two reasons to get up before eight, one is adult beverages
> >> and the other includes another adult, Lee

> > Thanks for the morning chuckle Lee! <lol>

> i have always contended that the only people who should be legally allowed
> out of their sleeping accomodations before noon are the federal sharp
> shooters that take care of violators, Lee

<lol> Cute!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/19/2010 2:03 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> No brine, that's for sure!
>>> Brining does not work with beef. Been there, done that, ended up tossing
>>> the meat in the trash and I almost never do that. Between the salt and
>>> the over-use of mesquite, it was not salvageable.<sigh>
>>>
>>> Likely keep it simple and make it like an italian dressing or some such,
>>> or maybe something with pineapple.
>>>

>> Take it you don't like corned beef or pastrami. I like both, but don't
>> have it anymore because of the 1200 MG sodium per 1/4 lb of meat. A
>> sandwich would be probably 1/3 lb 1800 MG, bread is gonna have some,
>> maybe 300, the mustard a bit, the pickle spear a bit, the potato salad,
>> up there probably at 500 MG.
>>
>> Then I still need to eat for the rest of the day !!!

> I've been eating low sodium now for 18 years. I've totally lost my
> taste for most high salt foods. (I make an exception for bacon.<g>).
> I can't even stand hot dogs or luncheon meats anymore, altho' some lunch
> meats (like sliced ham) are bearable if the salt is diluted out with the
> addition of other foods like using it in a salad.
>
> It's gotten really hard to even eat "out" any more.<sigh>

>>> The one I currently have in the freezer was $.99, but $1.59 is more
>>> typical. They are insane trying to charge that for such a tough cut of
>>> meat.

>>> Get them in the dead of winter. :-)
>>>

>> They were 99 cents for the July 4 th sale.
>>
>> A freezer truck can be rented, but that gets expensive quickly !!
>>
>> BBQ

> Well, if somebody had good storage space until winter...<g>
> But, it's better shipped fresh.
>
> The key, my friend, is bulk buying. You know how much I invested in
> that chinese importing deal...

Yes, but don't know how much 'bulk' I need to buy to get them at a price
I can sell to small meat stores.

I did call a few meat distributors in 'brisket country', Kansas and
Texas. Still around $1.69 lb. for 2000 lbs. That's about 150 briskets.
I know this is not a lot, but still should be enough to get a decent
price...

> I'll be able to sell the tape for twice what I paid, and still undercut
> the current market by 60% to 70%. :-)

Gotta hit the streets...

> Now I just have to build that damned website!

Get to it... There are people that will build one for you, but cost can
be $500 or more, depending on complexity, who maintains it, etc.

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
bbq > wrote:

> > Well, if somebody had good storage space until winter...<g>
> > But, it's better shipped fresh.
> >
> > The key, my friend, is bulk buying. You know how much I invested in
> > that chinese importing deal...

> Yes, but don't know how much 'bulk' I need to buy to get them at a price
> I can sell to small meat stores.
>
> I did call a few meat distributors in 'brisket country', Kansas and
> Texas. Still around $1.69 lb. for 2000 lbs. That's about 150 briskets.
> I know this is not a lot, but still should be enough to get a decent
> price...

Try going up the line a bit if you can find the sources.
Believe me, it took a lot of research (and a little luck!) on my part.

You may have found your niche. :-)

> > I'll be able to sell the tape for twice what I paid, and still undercut
> > the current market by 60% to 70%. :-)
> >

> Gotta hit the streets...

No kidding.

> > Now I just have to build that damned website!

> Get to it... There are people that will build one for you, but cost can
> be $500 or more, depending on complexity, who maintains it, etc.
>
> BBQ

Nah. I just have to learn how to use the omni site builder software...
I've got a start now plus some text ideas from my two chinese suppliers.

I've also taken pics of three nice models from my chiropractors office
wearing the stuff. :-) I'll have to send you my favorite pic that I
took.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 18, 9:22*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Where would the moisture go in the unwrapped brisket? *Is there
> some sort of magic force field keeping moisture in - a force field
> stronger than foil?
>
> Common sense, folks.

Well, it could be if the argument was properly constructed. I've been
wrapping them right off the cooker and putting them in a cooler. I'll
end up with a cup or two of liquids in the cooler. So that alu foil
wrapping isn't as impenetrable as the foil itself is. And I'm damn
sure that the in 15 minutes the volume of liquid that evaporation
could account for is pretty small. Now you could still be right, butt
it sure won't do any harm to try it out.

Marty, how long do you hold them after they're wrapped? Max-Min? I've
been holding overnight, usually ends up to be 16-18 hours.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2010, Mort > wrote:

> tutall wrote:
>
> > Agree with your point. Though I remember one dude insisted that
> > brisket should always be fat down. (Fat towards the heat) Not that
> > anyone seemed to agree.

> I think two main AFB proponants of this approach are
> TFM and myself, though there may be more.
>
> In any case it's not a hard and fast rule, i.e. if you didn't
> cook it fat side towards the heat it's not like it would be
> completely ruined.
>
> --
> Mort

I've been cooking fat side down in my offset since the summer of
'03 and it's been working okay for me. I don't remember why I
started cooking fat down and don't care. It's been working for
seven years and my daddy told me I shouldn't try to fix what ain't
broke.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2010, "monroe, of course" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Mort > wrote:
>

> > I think two main AFB proponants of this approach are
> > TFM and myself, though there may be more.
> >
> > In any case it's not a hard and fast rule, i.e. if you didn't
> > cook it fat side towards the heat it's not like it would be
> > completely ruined.

> I have a vertical cooker and i tend to use fairly sugary rubs (I'm an
> avid 'bark biter',if you will) so I always have grill sticking issues at
> the end of lo-n-slos. Fat stuck to the grill is not as big a waste as
> meat stuck to the grill. Also,I don't buy the claim that fat side up
> cooking 'bastes' the meat to any improvement.
>
> monroe(baste rhymes with waste)

Thanks Monroe. Now I rmemeber why I cook fat side on the grate.
When it sticks I don't waste good meat. I was surprised last saturday
though when nothing stuck.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I have a horizontal/offset smoker.
>
> To me, fat side up makes the most sense? After all, gravity works and
> you want the fat to baste the meat as it melts. Cooking fat side down
> does not compute?

Hey Om-pleez'd t'meetcher and alladat!
I was a FSU cooker once upon a time. The meat (especially briskets)
would tend get dry on the bottom, even though there was a drip pan and
baffle under the grill.
To me,the concept of basting does not compute. I work hard to make rubs
and get as much stuck on to the meat as I can-washing it off gives no
benefit. Basting and mopping don't do diddly towards moisturizing the
meat internally. Keeping the lid closed,however, *does*!

monroe(lookin' ain't cookin')
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

Denny Wheeler > writes:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:33:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

> >> It is my first pork on the KK. Thank you so much for
> >> introducing me to it. It just came last Wed, and I have
> >> been doing shorter cooks on it so far.

> >Krispy Kreme?
> >
> >My memory is shot right now. I think you're referring to the
> >CostCo smoker, but it ****es me off I can't remember the name of
> >it right now...

> Isn't KK the Komodo Kamado?

Yes, I am the owner of a very new Komodo Kamado. And I am
in love with it, as it were. Now if only I could get rid
of my sciatica...

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.food.barbecue...)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jul-2010, bbq > wrote:

> On 7/18/2010 7:25 AM, Brick wrote:

.. . .
> Nice notes about the Eye of Round. I have bought them when I can get
> them for $1.99. Like you say, not a lot of waste, so you can end up with
> lots of meat for sandwiches and such..
>
> I brined one once for Corned Beef. Don't remember how it came out..
> Would do it again though...
>
> BBQ

When you can't remember how it turned out, that just means you didn't have
to feed it to the dog.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > Just a note about that "Beef Eye of Round".

.. . .

> So what is a good internal temp to shoot for for rare roast? (This roast
> was about 2" thick and I'm thawing the other one from the two pack to
> try it again) and how does one place the probe properly? The probe is
> about 4" long. The roast is boneless.
>
> It was similar in price to what you paid too.
> --
> Peace! Om

I'm afraid I can't help you with that Om. All I know is that when the center
is no longer cold, it has reached medium rare. That eye of round that I did
was definitely well done. I shudder at the very thought of doing that to a
chunk of sirloin.

Speaking of brining beef, I've made corned beef from chuck once or twice.
Not much point to it though as it costs at least as much as brisket and
does not result in better corned beef.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Jul-2010, (GregS) wrote:

> In article .com>,

wrote:

.. . .

> Anybody rotissering ??

Yes.

> Does that keep the juices in ??

No.

--
Brick said that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/19/2010 1:39 PM, Brick wrote:
> On 19-Jul-2010, > wrote:
>
>> In monster.com>,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just a note about that "Beef Eye of Round".

> . . .
>

>> So what is a good internal temp to shoot for for rare roast? (This roast
>> was about 2" thick and I'm thawing the other one from the two pack to
>> try it again) and how does one place the probe properly? The probe is
>> about 4" long. The roast is boneless.

I would try in dead center 1 inch into the meat. The ends may not be as
rare as you like though. Not sure how one would go about getting it
rare from end to end.

I think Medium Rare is considered 125°. Rare I would guess, 110°
anticipating letting it rest a bit and temp getting to 115° or so.
Though you can't tell really how much it rises as it rests, since it is
still cooking and cooling down at the same time...

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Jul-2010, > wrote:

> Denny Wheeler > writes:

> > >Krispy Kreme?
> > >
> > >My memory is shot right now. I think you're referring to the
> > >CostCo smoker, but it ****es me off I can't remember the name of
> > >it right now...

> > Isn't KK the Komodo Kamado?

> Yes, I am the owner of a very new Komodo Kamado. And I am
> in love with it, as it were. Now if only I could get rid
> of my sciatica...
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.food.barbecue...)

Post it on Craigslist. Maybe some sap will make a low bid on it
hoping to make a profit. Unload it before he/she gets wise.

--
Brick (It's been a slow week)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"monroe, of course" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > I have a horizontal/offset smoker.
> >
> > To me, fat side up makes the most sense? After all, gravity works and
> > you want the fat to baste the meat as it melts. Cooking fat side down
> > does not compute?

> Hey Om-pleez'd t'meetcher and alladat!
> I was a FSU cooker once upon a time. The meat (especially briskets)
> would tend get dry on the bottom, even though there was a drip pan and
> baffle under the grill.
> To me,the concept of basting does not compute. I work hard to make rubs
> and get as much stuck on to the meat as I can-washing it off gives no
> benefit. Basting and mopping don't do diddly towards moisturizing the
> meat internally. Keeping the lid closed,however, *does*!
>
> monroe(lookin' ain't cookin')

Okee dokey then! Considering my last Brisket cook did not work out, I'll
give this a try. :-) Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 19-Jul-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > "Brick" > wrote:
> >
> > > Just a note about that "Beef Eye of Round".

> . . .
>

> > So what is a good internal temp to shoot for for rare roast? (This roast
> > was about 2" thick and I'm thawing the other one from the two pack to
> > try it again) and how does one place the probe properly? The probe is
> > about 4" long. The roast is boneless.
> >
> > It was similar in price to what you paid too.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I'm afraid I can't help you with that Om. All I know is that when the center
> is no longer cold, it has reached medium rare. That eye of round that I did
> was definitely well done. I shudder at the very thought of doing that to a
> chunk of sirloin.

Well, since it was literally bloody rare, it stayed tender. <g> I ate
some of it as an entree and used the rest of it this week in the Pho' I
was making for myself at work for lunches with bean thread noodles, beef
or chicken bullion (wylers cubes), bean sprouts, coriander leaves,
shredded fresh basil leaves and baby spinach with some fresh lime juice.

Deeeelicious! I made a portion for a co-worker Sunday for lunch and she
enjoyed it. :-) I sliced the beef really thin even tho' it was not
tough.

> Speaking of brining beef, I've made corned beef from chuck once or twice.
> Not much point to it though as it costs at least as much as brisket and
> does not result in better corned beef.

I just don't care for the saltiness of corned beef, but that's just me.
Might as well eat canned Spam. <g>
--
Peace! Om

time for pork butt? Paul Barbecue 9 13-06-2005 12:40 AM
Smoking pork butt 1st time Dave Bugg Barbecue 13 16-05-2004 10:08 PM