Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Price alert: Beef tenderloin at Costco

I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
$8.99/lb.

Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/26/2010 12:25 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
> I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
> $8.99/lb.
>
> Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,
>
> -Zz

It may be a good price, but not a price I purchase at.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:09:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,

> That's regular price for USDA Choice peeled tenderloin here in
> Austin. They sell USDA prime for $1 more. And unpeeled for
> $7.99.

Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for $5.99/lb.
Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the HEB
vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Jun-2010, bbq > wrote:

> On 6/26/2010 12:25 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
> > I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
> > $8.99/lb.
> >
> > Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,
> >
> > -Zz

> It may be a good price, but not a price I purchase at.
>
> BBQ

I buy them untrimmed, 3 to a bag for $4.99/lb. Only one store that I've
ever seen does that though. I buy NY strips and Delmonico, whole
and untrimmed also. It may not be such a good deal if you don't have
a use for the trimmings. The trimmings from tenderloin are pretty
poor. I use them in curry like concoctions which I eat with eggs or
rice. The steak trimmings make pretty good chili. I partially render
those first to separate the lard and then make the chili. The result
is a very rich, beefy chili.

--
Brick (Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:25:18 -0700, Zz Yzx >
wrote:

>I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
>$8.99/lb.
>
>Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,
>
>-Zz

Fairly regularly in this area of Southern Ontario you'll find cryovac
packaged whole beef tenderloin on sale for anywhere from $5.99 to
$8.99/lb.
In this week's flyer, one of the normally higher priced supermarkets
has it for $6.99/lb. In one of their competitor's flyer it's listed
for $11.99/lb.
Guess which one will sell the most tenderloin.

Ross.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>I just bought a whole beef tenderloin at Costco in Vacaville, CA, for
>$8.99/lb.
>
>Like it or not, it's a good price, I think,
>
>-Zz

Well, around here, at Costco it usually goes for $10.99 - $12.99 per
lb.

And get this: the local Costco store often sells two tenderloin butt
ends, packed end to end, for the full price. Go figure.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:32:58 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:46:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>
>> Fairly regularly in this area of Southern Ontario you'll find cryovac
>> packaged whole beef tenderloin on sale for anywhere from $5.99 to
>> $8.99/lb.
>> In this week's flyer, one of the normally higher priced supermarkets
>> has it for $6.99/lb. In one of their competitor's flyer it's listed
>> for $11.99/lb.
>> Guess which one will sell the most tenderloin.

>That's probably USDA Select beef. CostCo only carries choice and
>higher, ans it's always flavorful (USDA Choice doesn't always mean
>it's going to taste good, just that it has more fat).
>
>-sw

Yep. I just checked the flyers and they're both Canada Grade AA or
higher which translates to USDA Select or higher.

Ross
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:31:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for
>> $5.99/lb.
>> Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the
>> HEB
>> vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

> **** Randalls! HEB is.... Well, OK.
> But $5.99/lb is pretty steep even for Randalls. Do you mean
> 18-20lbs?

No, I they were not that big. I would assume around 8 lbs.

> I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
> decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
> don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.

Why?

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:11:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:32:21 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
>> No, I they were not that big. I would assume around 8 lbs.

> That's waaaay too much. I've never seen an 8lb bag of Rancher. I
> think they're at least 18lbs.

Okay, I'll check the freezer and get back. I may be wrong

>>> I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
>>> decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
>>> don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.

>> Why?

> I don't know - cause they give it beer and massage it daily? I'm
> sure CostCo has a different feed program and higher standards than
> the mass-market supermarket pork. You can taste the difference
> between HEB pork and CostCo pork, no doubt about that. I went
> back to CostCo pork a year ago after a 9 year hiatus and I
> realized I forgot what pork tasted like until then.

Interesting. I've gotta check it out then I guess.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/26/2010 2:42 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:32:58 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:46:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>>
>>> Fairly regularly in this area of Southern Ontario you'll find cryovac
>>> packaged whole beef tenderloin on sale for anywhere from $5.99 to
>>> $8.99/lb.
>>> In this week's flyer, one of the normally higher priced supermarkets
>>> has it for $6.99/lb. In one of their competitor's flyer it's listed
>>> for $11.99/lb.
>>> Guess which one will sell the most tenderloin.

>> That's probably USDA Select beef. CostCo only carries choice and
>> higher, ans it's always flavorful (USDA Choice doesn't always mean
>> it's going to taste good, just that it has more fat).
>>
>> -sw

> Yep. I just checked the flyers and they're both Canada Grade AA or
> higher which translates to USDA Select or higher.
>
> Ross

Isn't USDA Select the lowest grade for human consumption?

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/26/2010 5:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:32:21 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
>> No, I they were not that big. I would assume around 8 lbs.

> That's waaaay too much. I've never seen an 8lb bag of Rancher. I
> think they're at least 18lbs.
>
>>> I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
>>> decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
>>> don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.

>> Why?

> I don't know - cause they give it beer and massage it daily?

I know cattle raised for Kobe beef get that treatment. I didn't some
pigs get that to ;-)

> I'm sure CostCo has a different feed program and higher standards than
> the mass-market supermarket pork.

CostCo is not mass-market?

> You can taste the difference between HEB pork and CostCo pork, no doubt about that. I went
> back to CostCo pork a year ago after a 9 year hiatus and I
> realized I forgot what pork tasted like until then.

Will have to try them out. One is nearby me. Do they have a
complimentary 1 day membership for a trial?

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/26/2010 8:00 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:11:00 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> Isn't USDA Select the lowest grade for human consumption?

> All grades are technically, humanly consumable unless processed in
> a non-acceptable way. I have ever seen the next lowest grade
> (Standard) sold in retail. Lower grades are used for Dinty More,
> Underwood, and prisoners.
>
> -sw

"and prisoners"

LoL

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:15:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> Okay, I'll check the freezer and get back. I may be wrong

> Never mind. I thought you were talking about Rancher Charcoal.
> Not Rancher Reserve (that nasty-assed meat that Safeway and
> Randall's sells Duh!

To be honest I do not think it's nasty at all. It's not as good as the
grass fed beef I get from Ross's in Granger (TX), but it has it's ups and
downs like the HEB stuff does.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:55:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:20:17 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> CostCo is not mass-market?

> Nope. It's a very exclusive club ;-)
>
> People who shop at Walmart generally do not shop at CostCo.
>
> People who shop at CostCo have a much better eye for quality and
> don't mind paying the extra $1.

I'm a retail whore. I shop where they've got what I want at a price I want
to pay. I draw a line though: Wal-Mart meats.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

one thing i like is their organic items are about the same price as non
organic at other stores, everything is clean clean clean... this is a huge
deal to me... Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:20:17 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> CostCo is not mass-market?

> Nope. It's a very exclusive club ;-)
>
> People who shop at Walmart generally do not shop at CostCo.
>
> People who shop at CostCo have a much better eye for quality and
> don't mind paying the extra $1.
>
> People who shop at Walmart wouldn't even consider paying $50 for
> the privilege of shopping at CostCo.
>
> Meat sold at Walmart is the same price and is sold in smaller
> quantities. That is all that matters to Walmart shoppers. taste
> is of no concern.
>
> Take a look here and then compare it to the clientel at CostCo.
> http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9804
>
> I could go on...
>
> Then there are all the degrees of quality in between Walmart and
> CostCo.
>
>> Will have to try them out. One is nearby me. Do they have a
>> complimentary 1 day membership for a trial?

> Only when they first open a store.
>
> Find somebody who has a membership or just buy one. I'm kinda
> sick of trying to convince people to shop at CostCo over the
> years. Those of us who do shop there know they have great quality
> stuff, for the most part. It may not always be the cheaper than
> the local grocery store sales, but it's consistently better. I
> have yet to get burned on anything there and I'm sure I've bought
> over $50,000 of food there in 23 years (including Price Club).
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i have a Sam's membership, a costco membership and i still price shop for
what i want, it hast to be whelches grape jelly so when its on sale i get it
wherever, walmart has its place like every other store, imbuing emotions
into issues of groceries is odd to me, Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.veylauku325jvr@cdlappy...
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:55:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:20:17 -0500, bbq wrote:
>>
>>> CostCo is not mass-market?

>> Nope. It's a very exclusive club ;-)
>>
>> People who shop at Walmart generally do not shop at CostCo.
>>
>> People who shop at CostCo have a much better eye for quality and
>> don't mind paying the extra $1.

> I'm a retail whore. I shop where they've got what I want at a price I want
> to pay. I draw a line though: Wal-Mart meats.
>>
>> People who shop at Walmart wouldn't even consider paying $50 for
>> the privilege of shopping at CostCo.
>>
>> Meat sold at Walmart is the same price and is sold in smaller
>> quantities. That is all that matters to Walmart shoppers. taste
>> is of no concern.
>>
>> Take a look here and then compare it to the clientel at CostCo.
>> http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9804
>>
>> I could go on...
>>
>> Then there are all the degrees of quality in between Walmart and
>> CostCo.
>>
>>> Will have to try them out. One is nearby me. Do they have a
>>> complimentary 1 day membership for a trial?

>> Only when they first open a store.
>>
>> Find somebody who has a membership or just buy one. I'm kinda
>> sick of trying to convince people to shop at CostCo over the
>> years. Those of us who do shop there know they have great quality
>> stuff, for the most part. It may not always be the cheaper than
>> the local grocery store sales, but it's consistently better. I
>> have yet to get burned on anything there and I'm sure I've bought
>> over $50,000 of food there in 23 years (including Price Club).
>>
>> -sw

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i dunno, serving dente to a prisioner might be considered cruel and unusal
punishment, Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:11:00 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> Isn't USDA Select the lowest grade for human consumption?

> All grades are technically, humanly consumable unless processed in
> a non-acceptable way. I have ever seen the next lowest grade
> (Standard) sold in retail. Lower grades are used for Dinty More,
> Underwood, and prisoners.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> i dunno, serving dente to a prisioner might be considered cruel and
> unusal punishment, Lee
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:11:00 -0500, bbq wrote:
> >
> >> Isn't USDA Select the lowest grade for human consumption?

I heard USDA Utility grade.

> > All grades are technically, humanly consumable unless processed in
> > a non-acceptable way. I have ever seen the next lowest grade
> > (Standard) sold in retail. Lower grades are used for Dinty More,
> > Underwood, and prisoners.

Feed 'em Dr. Ross canned food. It's got more meat and more flavor!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jun-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> i have a Sam's membership, a costco membership and i still price shop for
> what i want, it hast to be whelches grape jelly so when its on sale i get
> it
> wherever, walmart has its place like every other store, imbuing emotions
> into issues of groceries is odd to me, Lee
> "ceed" > wrote in message
> newsp.veylauku325jvr@cdlappy...
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:55:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

.. . .

I have to agree with that comment Lee. I shop them all and buy when I
find the quality and price that I want. I find some deals now and then
at MacDill AFB, but it is not a given. Often they are priced significantly
above the regular supermarkets. Their quality is always good though.
I don't think I've ever seen 'select' grade meat at the commissary. I've
gotten a few briskets at Walmart, but all too often they don't even have
any in the meat case. My best source for brisket is 35 miles away, so
I have to figure in the cost of gas if I go over there. It sure isn't worth
it
for a single brisket. My best ongoing sources are three local independent
grocery/meat markets that do real butchering and don't wrap anything
until you buy it.

--
Brick made that speech.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/27/2010 6:10 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:57:39 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:00:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> All grades are technically, humanly consumable unless processed in
>>> a non-acceptable way. I have ever seen the next lowest grade
>>> (Standard) sold in retail. Lower grades are used for Dinty More,
>>> Underwood, and prisoners.

>> That was supposed to say that I HAVE seen the next lower grade
>> sold at retail. It was labeled "Value Beef" and cost half as much
>> as regular beef but needs a fair amount of trimming. It was being
>> salad as primal steaks (ribeye, strips, top sirloin, etc..)

> SOLD as primal steaks.
>
> I give up. I don't think this keyboard works.
>
> -sw

Blame spell checker. Even if you didn't run it through !!!! Spell
checkers are not smart enough to catch that misspelling either..

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 06:03:12 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
>> Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for
>> $5.99/lb.
>> Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the
>> HEB
>> vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

> **** Randalls! HEB is.... Well, OK.
>
> But $5.99/lb is pretty steep even for Randalls. Do you mean
> 18-20lbs?
>
> I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
> decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
> don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.
>
> -sw

Just picked up 4 briskets at Randall's at $.99/lb. Not bad for a Sunday
night especially since I was there for something completely different...

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/27/2010 10:03 PM, ceed wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:31:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 06:03:12 -0500, ceed wrote:
>>
>>> Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for
>>> $5.99/lb.
>>> Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do
>>> the HEB
>>> vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

>> **** Randalls! HEB is.... Well, OK.
>>
>> But $5.99/lb is pretty steep even for Randalls. Do you mean
>> 18-20lbs?
>>
>> I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
>> decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
>> don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.
>>
>> -sw

> Just picked up 4 briskets at Randall's at $.99/lb. Not bad for a Sunday
> night especially since I was there for something completely different...

You folks in Texas and your 4th of July special on brisket. Very
envious ...

Enjoy them..

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/27/2010 11:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:26:00 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> You folks in Texas and your 4th of July special on brisket. Very
>> envious ...

> They haven't had any of the $.39/lb briskets for a few years.
> $.99 is about as low as it gets, and never at HEB for some reason.
> HEB seems to be getting stingier with the sales.
>
> I wish they would bring the price of their pre-smoked briskets.
> They used to be $2.99 for 3-4 years, and then they went up to
> $5.49/lb and never on sale except as part of a "meal deal" (buy a
> brisket and get all this crap you don't need for free).
>
> -sw

Walmart Super Store has them for $2.19 last I checked. Brisket is not
real common around here. So Rainbow and Cub do not sell "packer cuts".
They do sell trimmed flats. Generally about 3-4 lbs. Not sure how to
cook them, but certainly barbecue is not an option. They are big $$$,
probably $3.99 or so.

Butcher stores, WOW, they want over $3 for a packer cut.

Be happy you can get them for $.99/lb. occasionally. If they are ever
that price, it is not advertised in the papers.

I am with ya on the pass on the "meal deals". If you're not going to
enjoy the freebies, it's not a deal after all !!

Maybe CostCo has them for a better price. Will have to check them out ;-)

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

crap my closest grocery above a gas station is that far away... wally is
only 18 miles away, so if its milk, or heinze i get it, Lee
> wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 27-Jun-2010, "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> i have a Sam's membership, a costco membership and i still price shop for
>> what i want, it hast to be whelches grape jelly so when its on sale i get
>> it
>> wherever, walmart has its place like every other store, imbuing emotions
>> into issues of groceries is odd to me, Lee
>> "ceed" > wrote in message
>> newsp.veylauku325jvr@cdlappy...
>> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:55:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> > wrote:

> . . .
>
> I have to agree with that comment Lee. I shop them all and buy when I
> find the quality and price that I want. I find some deals now and then
> at MacDill AFB, but it is not a given. Often they are priced significantly
> above the regular supermarkets. Their quality is always good though.
> I don't think I've ever seen 'select' grade meat at the commissary. I've
> gotten a few briskets at Walmart, but all too often they don't even have
> any in the meat case. My best source for brisket is 35 miles away, so
> I have to figure in the cost of gas if I go over there. It sure isn't
> worth
> it
> for a single brisket. My best ongoing sources are three local independent
> grocery/meat markets that do real butchering and don't wrap anything
> until you buy it.
>
> --
> Brick made that speech.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

!!!!score!!! Lee
"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vezpfkei325jvr@cdlappy...
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:31:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 06:03:12 -0500, ceed wrote:
>>
>>> Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for
>>> $5.99/lb.
>>> Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the
>>> HEB
>>> vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

>> **** Randalls! HEB is.... Well, OK.
>>
>> But $5.99/lb is pretty steep even for Randalls. Do you mean
>> 18-20lbs?
>>
>> I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
>> decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
>> don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.
>>
>> -sw

> Just picked up 4 briskets at Randall's at $.99/lb. Not bad for a Sunday
> night especially since I was there for something completely different...
>

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jun-2010, ceed > wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:31:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 06:03:12 -0500, ceed wrote:
> >
> >> Got Rancher's Reserve at Randall's (Round Rock) last weekend for
> >> $5.99/lb.
> >> Long gone now. Large packages, but worth it for sure (let's not do the
> >>
> >> HEB
> >> vs Randall's again, sqwerts. I'd go to any if the deal is good ).

> > **** Randalls! HEB is.... Well, OK.
> >
> > But $5.99/lb is pretty steep even for Randalls. Do you mean
> > 18-20lbs?
> >
> > I need to pick up something today. Hopefully CostCo has something
> > decent because I'm getting a couple pork butts there as well. I
> > don't buy butts from HEB any more - CostCo pork is 5x better.
> >
> > -sw

> Just picked up 4 briskets at Randall's at $.99/lb. Not bad for a Sunday
> night especially since I was there for something completely different...
>

> --
> //ceed

Now that's a buy. The best price I've ever seen was $1.58 and it's been
a long time. I'm currently seeing $3.49/lb and that's at BJ's wholesale
club.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:44:15 -0500, > wrote:

>> Just picked up 4 briskets at Randall's at $.99/lb. Not bad for a Sunday
>> night especially since I was there for something completely different...
>>

>> --
>> //ceed

> Now that's a buy. The best price I've ever seen was $1.58 and it's been
> a long time. I'm currently seeing $3.49/lb and that's at BJ's wholesale
> club.

Randall's does this 2 - 4 times a year, and it appears out of the blue. I
usually pick up ten of them which comes out around $100. I have noticed
that being close to 4th of July makes it more likely to happen. Ad he
http://tinypic.com/m/atrdpt/3

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 27, 10:03*pm, bbq > wrote:

> Maybe CostCo has them for a better price. *Will have to check them out ;-)

Our Costco doesn't carry them.

Got any Smart and Finals nearby? That's where I get mine at 1.99 lb
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 28, 7:39*pm, wrote:
> On 28-Jun-2010, ceed > wrote:

> > good brisket is trying to fold it end to end. If the ends meet it's good,

> > if not it's not so good. Anyone know if that bs, or is it worth while
> > doing this "test"?

> I heard/read the same story. Can't remember who posted it, but I seem
> to remember it being a credible poster. I know nossink beyond that.

Frohe used to impart that bit of wisdom.
Frohe is one of those old timey Texans who's been making briskets
forever, and on the same damn 50 gallon drum probably.
Someone you trust to have a little brisket know how iow.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:20:00 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
> > I wanted to ask, a long time a go someone told me that the way you find a
> > good brisket is trying to fold it end to end. If the ends meet it's good,
> > if not it's not so good. Anyone know if that bs, or is it worth while
> > doing this "test"?

> TFM s is a big supporter of that idea, but I think it depends on
> how thick the fat cap is and how cold it is. I think it's its BS.
> What does folding it prove?
>
> -sw

I think it proves that there is a thinner fat cap as the fat makes it a
lot stiffer and harder to fold. That's my theory behind that concept
anyway. :-)

I don't go with that tho' as for a long cook, I like a good fat cap and
I don't even trim them prior to cooking.

For what it's worth, brisket makes most excellent smoked sausage and a
lot of the fat cooks out there as well when you smoke them:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:18:03 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>

> You need to scrape your grates and get that shit off of there.
> That ain't from sausage. That's from the last 20+ cooks.
>
> -sw

FYI I scrape my grates before every single cook. That was from the
previous batch of sausage, and the chicken I cooked before I cooked the
sausage that morning.

I've been accused of keeping my grates too clean in the past, causing
sticking.

But thanks for looking. <G>

I use a grill brush to clean them.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> I will buy the briskets at Walmart and that is all. And the
> cob-smoked ham from the deli - which is foodservice grade carving
> ham from Whoremel. Very good stuff - highly recommended.

Speaking of Wal-Mart briskets, how are they? I noticed the other day that
they're quite a bit less than my favorite butcher, and a lot closer to boot.

--Brett
A Wal-Mart *and* Costco shopper

Costco price signs Nancy Young[_6_] General Cooking 6 25-07-2013 10:06 PM
Price Alert!! Zz Yzx Barbecue 14 24-03-2009 02:59 AM
Whole Beef Tenderloin Dan Barbecue 5 13-03-2004 04:50 AM