Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Quantity suggestions (pulled pork for 200 sandwiches)

Hey kids,

So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.

Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?

TIA,

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
http://www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 12:01 PM, Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey kids,
>
> So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
> pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.
>
> Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
> more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
> tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
> they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
> http://www.chefjuke.com

I normally consider getting about 60 percent of pulled pork from a butt.
Though I never weighed it accurately after the cook.

Lets consider 65 percent for this, being on a tighter budget.

A healthy sandwich to me is 1/3 lb. You will need approximately 65 lbs
of pulled pork. This is easy math... You will need approximately 100 lbs
of pork to start out with.

A pork shoulder is 11-14 lbs. Let's say average is 12. 8 pork shoulders
and a 7 lb butt will get you the 100 lbs. to start with.

Not sure of the cost of shoulders. Walmart Super store sells them
occasionally. Let's hope no more than $1.49 lb. Maybe a distributer can
get you a better price if they support the fundraiser.

Are you really going to pull all that? That's a lot of pulling !!
I went to a pig roast and instead of pulling, they sliced it. Fairly
thick. Maybe 1/2 inch or more. Made for a nice sandwich. Nice and
tender, easy eating.

Enjoy the cook.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
> slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?
>
> 4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.
>
> 17 sandwiches per butt.
>
> I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
> at each calculation/estimation.
>
> -sw

Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
being 7 lbs.

We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/12/2010 1:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:33:59 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> A pork shoulder is 11-14 lbs. Let's say average is 12. 8 pork shoulders
>> and a 7 lb butt will get you the 100 lbs. to start with.

> A whole shoulder, but he said butts. A boneless butt from CostCo
> is going to weight about 7-7.5lbs.

True. I forgot he specified butt as I was typing out my response.
The boneless butts at Cub are around 4-5 lbs. Kinda small. They are tied
up. After cooking, a PIA to cut and pull the string.

> And you should be getting your butts at Costco even if they costs
> an extra $.20/lb.

Have been to a Sams club around here. Never been to Costco though.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey kids,
>
> So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
> pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.
>
> Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
> more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
> tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
> they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?

What size hamburger buns were you thinking of using, Pat?

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound person
before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
complaints.
"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
news
> Hey kids,
>
> So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
> pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.
>
> Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
> more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
> tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
> they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
> http://www.chefjuke.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
> person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
> complaints.

yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wallace wrote:
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
>> person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
>> complaints.

> yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Well, who ever complained more that once?

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Wallace wrote:
>> "Granby" > wrote in message
>>> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
>>> person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were
>>> no complaints.

>> yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

> Well, who ever complained more than once?

I think they called those guys "the volunteers" for additional duty.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Where I worked there were plenty. Gave those city boys beans and cornbread
once and the wanted it every week after that. Actually had toe commander
ask me to do that. Think after a point the complaints become be****in.
"Wallace" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
>> person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were
>> no complaints.

> yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

my spell checker tried to change the Bit**ing.
"Granby" > wrote in message
> Where I worked there were plenty. Gave those city boys beans and
> cornbread once and the wanted it every week after that. Actually had toe
> commander ask me to do that. Think after a point the complaints become
> be****in.
> "Wallace" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Granby" > wrote in message
>>> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
>>> person before the sauce. This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were
>>> no complaints.

>> yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote in message
> my spell checker tried to change the Bit**ing.

Thanks - I was struggling on that one!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 12, 4:03*pm, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Wallace wrote:
> > "Granby" > wrote in message
> >> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound
> >> person before the sauce. *This made a "healthy" sandwich and there were no
> >> complaints.

> > yes, but who ever heard of complaints in the Army? *

> Well, who ever complained more that once?
>
> --
> Steve

Nope, it's one of the basic enlisted soldiers rights to bitch all they
want. Just as it's the everyone elses right to ignore it.

Seriously, enlisted men take their right to bitch (mostly amongst
themselves) to heart, nobody messes with it either.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:44:58 -0500, bbq > wrote:

>On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
>> slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?
>>
>> 4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.
>>
>> 17 sandwiches per butt.
>>
>> I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
>> at each calculation/estimation.
>>
>> -sw

>Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
>being 7 lbs.

Well, yeah--Sqwertz was meaning "4 1/2 lb of cooked meat" which is
about right for a 7 lb butt.

>We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
>White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)

1/4 lb of meat is a pretty fair sized PP sandwich, really.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Jun-2010, bbq > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
> > slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?
> >
> > 4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.
> >
> > 17 sandwiches per butt.
> >
> > I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
> > at each calculation/estimation.
> >
> > -sw

> Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
> being 7 lbs.
>
> We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
> White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)
>
> BBQ

Back when I started this smoking game, I weighed everything I cooked before
and after. You can count on butts to lose 40% minimum. Out typical butts
around here are 7 to about 8.5 lbs. Good average is about 7.5 lbs with bone.
Shredded and or chopped pork is pretty light per volumn. I'm afraid I have
never weighed the amount of meat that will fit on a bun, but I have to guess
at about 1/4 lb and maybe a bit less. (Without sauce). It'll be heavier if
you
mix sauce into it. Based on that I come out with 11 butts with no safety
factor. I'd cook 13. Cooks get grumpy if they have to turn hungry people
away. You have to allow for male teen agers also. They tend to eat three
times as much as their femaile peers.

--
Brick (Stumbling around in the dark)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Quantity suggestions (pulled pork for 200 sandwiches) - BBQ_Catering_Workbook_v2.xls(0/1)

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:24:20 -0400, Sunny wrote:
>
>> Here's an Excel file I saved from afb a while ago. Many thanks to the
>> OP whom I don't remember. I've used it and it seems right on the
>> money.

> That looks like something Reg would do. I wonder what ever
> happened to Reg? ;-)

I have evolved into Mort.

But you already knew that

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 01:09:23 -0700, Mort wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> That looks like something Reg would do. I wonder what ever
>>> happened to Reg? ;-)

>> I have evolved into Mort.
>>
>> But you already knew that

> You didn't have to blow you cover on account of me. But a couple
> people did ask me and I didn't know if could say anything or not.
>
> Welcome back!

No big deal. It's been a practice on my part to switch nyms
every few years. My thinking on it, and this started many years
ago, was that it would make it harder for automated systems to
profile you. So it's not y'all humans that I'm hiding from.
It's a tactic in the same category of email addy munging.

I'd add... years later my initial concerns have turned out to be
valid. There's an emerging "analytics" specialty that revolves
around processing huge amounts of data, mining it, and using it
to profile individuals, among many things. I can state this with
certainty because it's now what I do for a living (I just don't
work on the Evil systems).

Further, by the time they develop the semantic analysis technology
to interpret this post and follow the trail successfully I will
have long since left this world.

PS - Yes, a good number of the people reading this have no idea
what I'm talking about but I know you do.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:42:05 -0700, Mort wrote:
>
>> I'd add... years later my initial concerns have turned out to be
>> valid. There's an emerging "analytics" specialty that revolves
>> around processing huge amounts of data, mining it, and using it
>> to profile individuals, among many things. I can state this with
>> certainty because it's now what I do for a living (I just don't
>> work on the Evil systems).

> So I should change up my habits about dealing with that company
> who's value of letters add up to 58?
>
> -sw (Profiling the old fashioned way)

Ah yeah, them. Not the brightest bulbs in the drawer.
The peeps there were fun to hang out with, though.

All in all, they're a company that got in early and
haven't done much since. I wouldn't be afraid of them,
they're not that good.

ObBBQ: Waiting on that replacement part for my Cookshack to
show up.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 12, 2:09*pm, "Granby" > wrote:

> When I ran a cafeteria, years ago at an Army Depot, I used 1/4 pound person
> before the sauce. *

I think he was planning on pork. If not, then I say 3 people at most,

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/19/2010 12:19 AM, Sunny wrote:
> Is there any way to post a binary file to a text group? I'm using
> Agent as my newsreader.
>
> Lou

No. It is not permitted. Use alt.binaries.food AKA ABF.

If it is the XLS workbook identified in the subject, it was already
posted here accidentally. I would think that whoever wants it has got
it buy now.

Agent is a good reader for binaries to, as long as your newsgroup
provider allows access to binaries groups. And they should, especially
if paying a separate fee to access Usenet. Most of us are now.

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sunny wrote:

> Is there any way to post a binary file to a text group? I'm using
> Agent as my newsreader.

Put it on the web and post a link.

Here's a free and simple to use file hosting service.

http://www.fileave.com/

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:40:21 GMT, wrote:

>On 12-Jun-2010, bbq > wrote:
>
>> On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> > Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
>> > slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?
>> >
>> > 4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.
>> >
>> > 17 sandwiches per butt.
>> >
>> > I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
>> > at each calculation/estimation.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
>> being 7 lbs.
>>
>> We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
>> White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)
>>
>> BBQ

>Back when I started this smoking game, I weighed everything I cooked before
>and after. You can count on butts to lose 40% minimum. Out typical butts
>around here are 7 to about 8.5 lbs. Good average is about 7.5 lbs with bone.
>Shredded and or chopped pork is pretty light per volumn. I'm afraid I have
>never weighed the amount of meat that will fit on a bun, but I have to guess
>at about 1/4 lb and maybe a bit less. (Without sauce). It'll be heavier if
>you
>mix sauce into it. Based on that I come out with 11 butts with no safety
>factor. I'd cook 13. Cooks get grumpy if they have to turn hungry people
>away. You have to allow for male teen agers also. They tend to eat three
>times as much as their femaile peers.

This was about what I was guesstimating...I also know what to do with
leftovers (but as it's a charity benefit and they are paying for the
meat, wanted to be reasonably thrifty).

Thanks!