Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

Default Another BBQ sauce

Just found this group. In my neck of the woods we have a sauce style.
I have not found it
anywhere else. We don't want it any other way. We use a nice thin
sauce to compliment meat and think meat and veggies. So I have been
trying to change it since 1980, but its hard to change a good thing.
Here is my recipe.

http://zekfrivolous.com/barbecue/wor...ue%20sauce.htm
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 9, 8:19*am, Gz > wrote:
> Just found this group. In my neck of the woods we have a sauce style.
> I have not found it
> anywhere else. We don't want it any other way. We use a nice thin
> sauce to compliment meat and think meat and veggies. So I have been
> trying to change it since 1980, but its hard to change a good thing.
> Here is my recipe.
>
> http://zekfrivolous.com/barbecue/wor...ue%20sauce.htm

Greg, how about you posting it here, been running across a lot of
sites with malware recently.

As a matter of fact, that's the point, to post here I mean, not to
link to some other place, makes you look like some sort of spamming
spammer, thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote:
> Just found this group. In my neck of the woods we have a sauce style.
> I have not found it
> anywhere else. We don't want it any other way. We use a nice thin
> sauce to compliment meat and think meat and veggies. So I have been
> trying to change it since 1980, but its hard to change a good thing.
> Here is my recipe.
>
> http://zekfrivolo........

Just post it here. No need for a link for text.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 9, 3:32*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Gz wrote:
> > Just found this group. In my neck of the woods we have a sauce style.
> > I have not found it
> > anywhere else. We don't want it any other way. We use a nice thin
> > sauce to compliment meat and think meat and veggies. So I have been
> > trying to change it since 1980, but its hard to change a good thing.
> > Here is my recipe.

> >http://zekfrivolo........

> Just post it here. No need for a link for text.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? * *"To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

As far as pictures, links are the only way to go.

Here GOES...........

World's best Barbecue sauce recipe :

For pork and ham……its fabulous on chicken too.. This is my version of
the Monongahela River Valley style sauce. If you like thick,
sweet, sticky, smoky sauce, go away.

If you try this you may rediscover what sauce is all about.
I try to improve it each time I make it. The recipe tends to change.
Compliments the meat, does not smother it.
Neither sweet nor too sour, its very unassuming. Slightly acidic.

This all started around 1980 when my brother brought home some sauce
from the river.
I decided I would try to copy it so we could enjoy it anytime.
As far as I know, this style has been around for at least 50 years.
Its stood the test of time. Its a Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania thing up the
Monongahela river..

Large batch recipe.
6 quarts regular V8 juice (620 mg sodium ea.) or thereabouts. You can
add salt to the healthy low salt stuff.
3 teas ground cloves
2 teas ground cinnamon
2 cups red wine vinegar
4-8 garlic cloves, Hey I lost count.
10-12 teas Mrs. Dash regular blend, Use twice X2 for extra spicy.
3 teas black pepper, add red pepper to taste or just wait til its
served.
1 zest from lemon and the juice from that lemon(Optional)
6 teas celery seed
3-6 teas Marjoram

lightly Boil for three hours to thicken or to about 1/2 liquid. Do not
burn.
For this quantity I use two large enameled lined pots. Stainless or
Aluminum not recommended.
I have been thinking, why not add the spices after the V8 is reduced.
All you do is fill the air
with scent. its wonder full to smell, but you may have to change
amounts.

Also use a wooden or ceramic spatula. I just add Habanero pepper if
needed when served.
The actual recipe is fairly mild, and I expect to liven it up a bit
with more Mrs Dash and some red pepper,
and more garlic.

Use Mrs. Dash to RUB down the meat. Use the regular style, NOT fine
ground table blend. I like the garlic & herb

I have been thinking of adding a thickener like flour. That might be
OK but I don't want to change the flavor.
I tried adding corn starch. Seems to work to thicken, maybe 3-4 tbls.

The sauce is too thin for great pulled pork sandwiches currently, but
it good to mix it in anyway.
I think you need a sweeter sauce for pulled pork.

Of all the grocery sauces I tried, Open Pit is far ahead of he others.
I can tolerate its sweetness. The others are TOO sweet.

The basic esscence of the sauce is the V8, the cinamon, and the
cloves,celery, pepper.
The celery essense in the V8 is VERY important. You might even add
some celery seed, not celery salt..
The other stuff is just to buffer it up.(I added it)

HERE IS A SMALL BATCH VERSION FOR YOU.

1 QT V8 Juice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 + crushed garlic cloves
3-4 tsp Mrs. Dash original blend
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 + lemon zest and juice.
1/2 tsp celery seed 1/2 tsp Marjoram
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/9/2010 3:31 PM, tutall wrote:
> On Jun 9, 12:49 pm, > wrote:
>
> Thanks Greg.
>
> Never heard of Mrs. Dash, what sort of seasoning mix is that?

Mrs Dash is a salt free seasoning. Several blends. Each containing
about 14 different spices/herbs..

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You might try thickening with rice flour, it does the job adds creamness but
doesn't impair taste, Lee
"Gz" > wrote in message
> [...]

and more garlic.

Use Mrs. Dash to RUB down the meat. Use the regular style, NOT fine
ground table blend. I like the garlic & herb

I have been thinking of adding a thickener like flour. That might be
OK but I don't want to change the flavor.
I tried adding corn starch. Seems to work to thicken, maybe 3-4 tbls.

The sauce is too thin for great pulled pork sandwiches currently, but
it good to mix it in anyway.
I think you need a sweeter sauce for pulled pork.

Of all the grocery sauces I tried, Open Pit is far ahead of he others.
I can tolerate its sweetness. The others are TOO sweet.

The basic esscence of the sauce is the V8, the cinamon, and the
cloves,celery, pepper.
The celery essense in the V8 is VERY important. You might even add
some celery seed, not celery salt..
The other stuff is just to buffer it up.(I added it)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6/9/2010 10:19 AM, Gz wrote:
> Just found this group. In my neck of the woods we have a sauce style.
> I have not found it
> anywhere else. We don't want it any other way. We use a nice thin
> sauce to compliment meat and think meat and veggies. So I have been
> trying to change it since 1980, but its hard to change a good thing.
> Here is my recipe.
>
> http://zekfrivolous.com/barbecue/wor...ue%20sauce.htm

I'm glad I don't live in your part of the world. Don't think it would be
appreciated down here.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote:

> As far as pictures, links are the only way to go.

Sorry, but I don't know you from boo and I ain't going to click on your
posted link. Pictures can be posted into ABF, if such are really necessary
for a recipe.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for the smaller version, don't want 6 qts "to try it".
"Gz" > wrote in message
> [...]

and more garlic.

Use Mrs. Dash to RUB down the meat. Use the regular style, NOT fine
ground table blend. I like the garlic & herb

I have been thinking of adding a thickener like flour. That might be
OK but I don't want to change the flavor.
I tried adding corn starch. Seems to work to thicken, maybe 3-4 tbls.

The sauce is too thin for great pulled pork sandwiches currently, but
it good to mix it in anyway.
I think you need a sweeter sauce for pulled pork.

Of all the grocery sauces I tried, Open Pit is far ahead of he others.
I can tolerate its sweetness. The others are TOO sweet.

The basic esscence of the sauce is the V8, the cinamon, and the
cloves,celery, pepper.
The celery essense in the V8 is VERY important. You might even add
some celery seed, not celery salt..
The other stuff is just to buffer it up.(I added it)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 9, 7:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 6/9/2010 10:19 AM, Gz wrote:
>
> > Just found this group. In my neck of the woods we have a sauce style.
> > I have not found it
> > anywhere else. We don't want it any other way. We use a nice thin
> > sauce to compliment meat and think meat and veggies. So I have been
> > trying to change it since 1980, but its hard to change a good thing.
> > Here is my recipe.

> >http://zekfrivolous.com/barbecue/wor...ue%20sauce.htm

> I'm glad I don't live in your part of the world. Don't think it would be
> appreciated down here.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

Got to try it to believe. Its very addicting.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 9, 5:48*pm, bbq > wrote:
> On 6/9/2010 3:31 PM, tutall wrote:
>
> > On Jun 9, 12:49 pm, > *wrote:

> > Thanks Greg.

> > Never heard of Mrs. Dash, what sort of seasoning mix is that?

> Mrs Dash is a salt free seasoning. *Several blends. Each containing
> about 14 different spices/herbs..
>
> BBQ

I don't have any need to use salt 99% of the time.
I would only salt a big chunk of meat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 9, 9:55*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Gz wrote:
> > As far as pictures, links are the only way to go.

> Sorry, but I don't know you from boo and I ain't going to click on your
> posted link. Pictures can be posted into ABF, if such are really necessary
> for a recipe.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? * *"To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

99% of internet users have free web space. Too bad more don't use it.
Like here.........
https://home.comcast.net/~zekor/

You can make the pictures as big as you want..
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 10, 9:23*am, Gz > wrote:
> On Jun 9, 9:55*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > Gz wrote:
> > > As far as pictures, links are the only way to go.

> > Sorry, but I don't know you from boo and I ain't going to click on your
> > posted link. Pictures can be posted into ABF, if such are really necessary
> > for a recipe.

> > --
> > Dave
> > What is best in life? * *"To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> > you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

> 99% of internet users have free web space. Too bad more don't use it.
> Like here.........https://home.comcast.net/~zekor/
>
> *You can make the pictures as big as you want..

Its interesting to show added ingredients in my recipe when I show the
ingredients of V8 and Mrs. Dash

Tomato Juice from Concentrate (Water, Tomato Paste),
Carrots
Celery,
Beets
Parsley
Lettuce
Watercress
Spinach
Lemon Juice
Salt
Natural Flavoring
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
Citric Acid.

Onion
black pepper
parsley
celery seed
basil
bay
marjoram
oregano
savory
thyme
cayenne pepper
coriander
cumin
mustard
rosemary
garlic
carrot
orange peel
tomato
lemon juice powder
citric acid
oil of lemon.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote:
> On Jun 9, 9:55 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> Gz wrote:
>>> As far as pictures, links are the only way to go.

>> Sorry, but I don't know you from boo and I ain't going to click on
>> your posted link. Pictures can be posted into ABF, if such are
>> really necessary for a recipe.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
>> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

> 99% of internet users have free web space. Too bad more don't use it.
> Like here.........

Whoosh......

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 10, 12:13*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Gz wrote:

> Whoosh......

Be nice Dave, got a new guy who's trying to get along here. Try and
put on your friendly neighbor hat again. Kay?

Save being mean to those you know have earned it. This guy Greg seems
well intentioned so give him some slack already why dontcha?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall > wrote:
> On Jun 10, 12:13=A0pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> > Gz wrote:

> > Whoosh......

> Be nice Dave, got a new guy who's trying to get along here. Try and
> put on your friendly neighbor hat again. Kay?
>
> Save being mean to those you know have earned it. This guy Greg seems
> well intentioned so give him some slack already why dontcha?

I'm not Dave (for which he's grateful). I thought his "Whoosh" was Huh?
That went over my head," kinda thing.

I no longer have a friendly neighbor hat, as I ran outta tinfoil.

Relax, Tut!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:
> On Jun 10, 12:13 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> Gz wrote:

>> Whoosh......

> Be nice Dave, got a new guy who's trying to get along here. Try and
> put on your friendly neighbor hat again. Kay?
>
> Save being mean to those you know have earned it. This guy Greg seems
> well intentioned so give him some slack already why dontcha?

I'm not being mean, I'm simply done with trying to explain to a newbie why
it is a bit dicey to go clicking onto unknown urls posted by unknown
persons. My 'whoosh' comment is in direct reference to the his ignorance of
those issues, or simply not caring. That isn't being unfriendly, that is
just speaking plain . I did give him alternatives in order to keep things on
the 'safe' side for those who don't blindly click into unknown websites,
such as posting his recipes here and posting pictures onto ABF. I thought
that was quite neighborly.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 10, 5:22*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> tutall wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 12:13 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> >> Gz wrote:

> >> Whoosh......

> > Be nice Dave, got a new guy who's trying to get along here. Try and
> > put on your friendly neighbor hat again. Kay?

> > Save being mean to those you know have earned it. This guy Greg seems
> > well intentioned so give him some slack already why dontcha?

> I'm not being mean,

Okay, being short, curt, less than genial.

> I'm simply done with trying to explain to a newbie why
> it is a bit dicey to go clicking onto unknown urls posted by unknown
> persons.

/*sarcasm on

Yeah, you've done *that* one to death <rollseyes>

/*sarcasm off

> My 'whoosh' comment is in direct reference to the his ignorance of
> those issues, or simply not caring.

Exactly, so why assume not caring instead of ignorance?

> That isn't being unfriendly, that is
> just speaking plain .

Sure, also called curt, ungenial, short, etc. As you must know.

> I did give him alternatives in order to keep things on
> the 'safe' side for those who don't blindly click into unknown websites,
> such as posting his recipes here and posting pictures onto ABF. I thought
> that was quite neighborly.

He's done everything asked of him, and when he didn't know why
something was being remarked on, made it plain why he thought his
request was reassonable. He didn't attack, he didn't turn into asshole
defender mode, just reasonable defense of what he thought he was
doing.

I'd say Greg here deserves a nice welcome as he's trying to figger it
out.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:
> On Jun 10, 5:22 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> tutall wrote:

>>> Be nice Dave, got a new guy who's trying to get along here. Try and
>>> put on your friendly neighbor hat again. Kay?
>>> Save being mean to those you know have earned it. This guy Greg
>>> seems well intentioned so give him some slack already why dontcha?

>> I'm not being mean,

> Okay, being short, curt, less than genial.

No, I said what I meant.

>> I'm simply done with trying to explain to a newbie why
>> it is a bit dicey to go clicking onto unknown urls posted by unknown
>> persons.

> /*sarcasm on
>
> Yeah, you've done *that* one to death <rollseyes>
>
> /*sarcasm off

Uh, I seem to recall that you made the same point, to wit: "Greg, how about
you posting it here, been running across a lot of sites with malware
recently. As a matter of fact, that's the point, to post here I mean, not to
link to some other place, makes you look like some sort of spamming
spammer, thanks."

>> My 'whoosh' comment is in direct reference to the his ignorance of
>> those issues, or simply not caring.

> Exactly, so why assume not caring instead of ignorance?

I assumed neither. His reply comes back to me, as a response to my stated
concern about his newbie link, that " 99% of internet users have free web
space. Too bad more don't use it. Like
here.........https://home.comcast.net/~zekor/ You can make the pictures as
big as you want.." I decided that it didn't matter which issue applied, I
simply didn't care any longer.

>> That isn't being unfriendly, that is
>> just speaking plain .

> Sure, also called curt, ungenial, short, etc. As you must know.

Oooh, that left a mark. (checking body) Nope, guess it didn't.

>> I did give him alternatives in order to keep things on
>> the 'safe' side for those who don't blindly click into unknown
>> websites, such as posting his recipes here and posting pictures onto
>> ABF. I thought that was quite neighborly.

> He's done everything asked of him, and when he didn't know why
> something was being remarked on, made it plain why he thought his
> request was reassonable.

And I made it clear why it wasn't. After trying to do so the second time, I
was done with him.

> He didn't attack, he didn't turn into asshole
> defender mode, just reasonable defense of what he thought he was
> doing.

Well that's just all swell of him and stuff.

> I'd say Greg here deserves a nice welcome as he's trying to figger it
> out.

Then why are you concerned with me? Wait, now I get it......this is your way
of showing him that you care. Besides, I have him KF'd for a while, so he no
longer is part of who I see.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:32:57 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

I owe you an apology, Colonel. I always thought that you were a cold,
unimaginative, tight lipped officer. But you're really ... quite
emotional. Aren't you?

Quote from "The Dirty Dozen"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 10, 8:22*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> tutall wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 12:13 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> >> Gz wrote:

> >> Whoosh......

> > Be nice Dave, got a new guy who's trying to get along here. Try and
> > put on your friendly neighbor hat again. Kay?

> > Save being mean to those you know have earned it. This guy Greg seems
> > well intentioned so give him some slack already why dontcha?

> I'm not being mean, I'm simply done with trying to explain to a newbie why
> it is a bit dicey to go clicking onto unknown urls posted by unknown
> persons. My 'whoosh' comment is in direct reference to the his ignorance of
> those issues, or simply not caring. That isn't being unfriendly, that is
> just speaking plain . I did give him alternatives in order to keep things on
> the 'safe' side for those who don't blindly click into unknown websites,
> such as posting his recipes here and posting pictures onto ABF. I thought
> that was quite neighborly.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? * *"To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

I just wanted to say, its the first time anybody has made comments on
clicking on my URL's
after 14 years on the internet.

greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

At this point in you guys conversation, I can hear my Mom say "Boys stop
bickering or I will turn this car around and we will go home."
"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> tutall wrote:

>>> I'm not being mean,

>> Okay, being short, curt, less than genial.

> No, I said what I meant.
>
>>> I'm simply done with trying to explain to a newbie why
>>> it is a bit dicey to go clicking onto unknown urls posted by unknown
>>> persons.

>> /*sarcasm on
>>
>> Yeah, you've done *that* one to death <rollseyes>
>>
>> /*sarcasm off

> Uh, I seem to recall that you made the same point, to wit: "Greg, how
> about you posting it here, been running across a lot of sites with malware
> recently. As a matter of fact, that's the point, to post here I mean, not
> to link to some other place, makes you look like some sort of spamming
> spammer, thanks."
>
>>> My 'whoosh' comment is in direct reference to the his ignorance of
>>> those issues, or simply not caring.

>> Exactly, so why assume not caring instead of ignorance?

> I assumed neither. His reply comes back to me, as a response to my stated
> concern about his newbie link, that " 99% of internet users have free web
> space. Too bad more don't use it. Like
> here.........https://home.comcast.net/~zekor/ You can make the pictures
> as big as you want.." I decided that it didn't matter which issue
> applied, I simply didn't care any longer.
>

>>> That isn't being unfriendly, that is
>>> just speaking plain .

>> Sure, also called curt, ungenial, short, etc. As you must know.

> Oooh, that left a mark. (checking body) Nope, guess it didn't.
>
>>> I did give him alternatives in order to keep things on
>>> the 'safe' side for those who don't blindly click into unknown
>>> websites, such as posting his recipes here and posting pictures onto
>>> ABF. I thought that was quite neighborly.

>> He's done everything asked of him, and when he didn't know why
>> something was being remarked on, made it plain why he thought his
>> request was reassonable.

> And I made it clear why it wasn't. After trying to do so the second time,
> I was done with him.
>
>> He didn't attack, he didn't turn into asshole
>> defender mode, just reasonable defense of what he thought he was
>> doing.

> Well that's just all swell of him and stuff.
>
>> I'd say Greg here deserves a nice welcome as he's trying to figger it
>> out.

> Then why are you concerned with me? Wait, now I get it......this is your
> way of showing him that you care. Besides, I have him KF'd for a while, so
> he no longer is part of who I see.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Jun-2010, tutall > wrote:

> On Jun 9, 12:49*pm, Gz > wrote:
>
> Thanks Greg.
>
> Never heard of Mrs. Dash, what sort of seasoning mix is that?

They have a decent web site which explains the product(s);

http://www.mrsdash.com/

I use a lot of it at my house. I like having some herb blends with
no salt at all. I make up all of my household spice blends because
I don't like the amount of salt that the commercial vendors use. It
sounds odd to say that I don't like the amount of salt in "Seasoned
Salt" but, that's what it amounts to. I like the spices in Lowry's
Seasoned Salt, but prefer to controll my salt separately. In practice
I mix my own with a lot higher spice to salt content.

Mrs Dash Original Blend contains;
Onion, Black Pepper, Parsley, Celery Seed, Basil, Bay, Marjoram,
Oregano, Savory, Thyme, Cayenne Pepper, Coriander, Cumin,
Mustard, Rosemary, Garlic, Carrot, Orange Peel, Tomato, Lemon
Juice Powder, Citric Acid and Oil of Lemon. (Whew! What a list.)

--
Brick said that