Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Grilling pork ribs, which sweet and sour rub?

Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from Italy
also.
I'm going to have a cook out with friends this Saturday and I'll be in
charge for the grill. I'll use charcoal placed about 8-9 inches under the
griddle, where I'll grill some chicken, some pork sausages and chops and
some pork ribs.
The fire-pit will be exactly this one, I'll be running two since we're a
dozen friends:
http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic....htm?r=6215667

The ribs look like these and I'm sure many of you have cooked tons of them.
Whole rack, raw:
http://img75.imageshack.us/i/dscn4300vx7.jpg/
Some spare ones, cooked:
http://www.buttalapasta.it/wp-galler...-babrbecue.jpg

Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, I use to
marinate them in red sparkling wine and garlic overnight and then, when the
day comes, grill them with some rosemary and freshly ground pepper, and salt
near the end of the cooking time.

This saturday I'll grill a batch of pork ribs in my usual way and wanted to
make a second batch in a sweet and sour rub as I have seen (or read about)
many times over many NG's, including this one. Googling around I have found
tons of recipes for rubs, very different one another, and since I'm new to
this kind of rubs I ask if someone here on AFB can point me to some true and
tested recipes.
Thanks!
--
Vilco
No, non mi sono mai allenato, respiravo di mio

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:27:30 +0200, ViLco wrote:

> Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from Italy
> also.

Who? Italy... BBQ... does not compute.

> I'm going to have a cook out with friends this Saturday and I'll be in
> charge for the grill. I'll use charcoal placed about 8-9 inches under the
> griddle, where I'll grill some chicken, some pork sausages and chops and
> some pork ribs.
> The fire-pit will be exactly this one, I'll be running two since we're a
> dozen friends:
> http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic....htm?r=6215667

Are those the public grills at a park?

> The ribs look like these and I'm sure many of you have cooked tons of them.
> Whole rack, raw:
> http://img75.imageshack.us/i/dscn4300vx7.jpg/

A little homeless looking, but those are pork spare ribs.

> Some spare ones, cooked:
> http://www.buttalapasta.it/wp-galler...-babrbecue.jpg
>
> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, I use to
> marinate them in red sparkling wine and garlic overnight and then, when the
> day comes, grill them with some rosemary and freshly ground pepper, and salt
> near the end of the cooking time.

We've never really cooked with a sweet and sour souce/rub either.
Citric acid and sugar?

> This saturday I'll grill a batch of pork ribs in my usual way and wanted to
> make a second batch in a sweet and sour rub as I have seen (or read about)
> many times over many NG's, including this one. Googling around I have found
> tons of recipes for rubs, very different one another, and since I'm new to
> this kind of rubs I ask if someone here on AFB can point me to some true and
> tested recipes.

Sweet and sour ribs are not common. If anything, they are
Chinese, and not part of the normal BBQ repitiore here in the US.
But even Chiense ribs or more sweet, rather than sour:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu

If you really insist on the sweet AND SOUR effect, grill them,
they could be grilled with minimal seasonings, and then brushed
with a sweet and sour souce towards the end , keeping in mind that
the heat should be low so the sugar does not burn.

Otherwise I'd just bag the idea completely. Sweet and sour ribs
are not common to any quisine I know of.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:27:30 +0200, ViLco wrote:

> Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from
> Italy also.
> I'm going to have a cook out with friends this Saturday and I'll be in
> charge for the grill. I'll use charcoal placed about 8-9 inches under
> the griddle, where I'll grill some chicken, some pork sausages and chops
> and some pork ribs.
> The fire-pit will be exactly this one, I'll be running two since we're a
> dozen friends:
> http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic...ajmahal115006/

PublishPC/~Index.xml/Photos/Pix1.htm?r=6215667

> The ribs look like these and I'm sure many of you have cooked tons of
> them. Whole rack, raw:
> http://img75.imageshack.us/i/dscn4300vx7.jpg/ Some spare ones, cooked:
> http://www.buttalapasta.it/wp-galler...iale-barbecue/

costine-di-maiale-al-babrbecue.jpg

> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, I use to
> marinate them in red sparkling wine and garlic overnight and then, when
> the day comes, grill them with some rosemary and freshly ground pepper,
> and salt near the end of the cooking time.
>
> This saturday I'll grill a batch of pork ribs in my usual way and wanted
> to make a second batch in a sweet and sour rub as I have seen (or read
> about) many times over many NG's, including this one. Googling around I
> have found tons of recipes for rubs, very different one another, and
> since I'm new to this kind of rubs I ask if someone here on AFB can
> point me to some true and tested recipes.
> Thanks!

Vilco,

I'm not sure what a sweet and sour rub would be but in my family we
typically have used a blend of Garlic and Onion Powders, Ground Black
Pepper, Salt, Ground Red Cayenne Pepper, which I put in a base of Paprika.

You could easily add a white or brown sugar to it if you wanted sweet but
I never do.

Here's my recipe,
2 tbs. paprika
2 tbs. salt
2 tbs. garlic powder
2 tbs. onion powder
1 tbs. ground red pepper, cayenne
1 tbs. black pepper

This is a ketchup based bbq sauce for serving on the side,

3 cups ketchup
1 cup honey (you can substitute with sugar but probably would need to up
water a bit)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup onion, mince fine
1/2 cup green pepper, mince fine
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar, white
2 tablespoons garlic powder

Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy pot, bring to a boil. Reduce to
a simmer until onion & pepper are tender.

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ViLco wrote:

> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, ....snip

Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and professionally, I
have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and sour' rub. Sweet and sour
rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an American thing. Typical American bbq
uses many savory dry herbs and spices, with perhaps a bit of 'sweet' if
something like brown sugar is added to the rub. I don't even think I would
like a 'sweet and sour rub'; it sounds like it would turn out something akin
to some sort of potato chip flavoring.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 11:53:22 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> ViLco wrote:
>
>> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, ....snip

> Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and professionally, I
> have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and sour' rub. Sweet and
> sour rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an American thing. Typical
> American bbq uses many savory dry herbs and spices, with perhaps a bit
> of 'sweet' if something like brown sugar is added to the rub. I don't
> even think I would like a 'sweet and sour rub'; it sounds like it would
> turn out something akin to some sort of potato chip flavoring.

Dave,

I assumed he was thinking of a rub which has salt and sugar and didn't
know how to say it, but I don't know, he is a valid poster on RFC so i
took it with a grain of salt. Hopefully he'll post again and clarify. I
work with a guy born and raised in Italy and his english is good but
there have been times of verbal confusion.

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ViLco" > wrote:
> Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from Italy
> also.
> [ . . . ]

Hi Villi. Try this:

Pork or Beef Ribs, Bourbon-Glazed, Smoked

Rub

1/3 cup black pepper, ground
1/4 cup paprika
2 tbs sugar or Splenda
1 tbs salt
2 tbs chili powder (see below)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
9 lbs of thick, meaty, beef ribs or 3 racks of pork spareribs.

Bourbon Mop (Optional)

3/4 cup Bourbon
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water

'Bour-BQ' Sauce

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup oil (preferably canola or corn)
2 medium onions, minced
3/4 cup Bourbon
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup pure Vermont maple syrup
1/3 cup dark unsulphered molasses
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
1/2 tsp salt

The night before, mix up the rub and apply 1/2 of it evenly over the ribs.
Put them in a plastic bag in the 'fridge overnight.

The next morning, take them out, pat them down with the remaining rub and
let them come to room temperature while you get the offset smoker up to
225 to 275 F (105 to 135 C) at the grate and mix up the mop. Should take
about 30 to 45 minutes. Put the mop on low heat to warm up.

Put the ribs in the smoker. Fruit wood gives a sweet smoke, oak or nut
woods give a more savory smoke. Don't use smoke for more than the first two
hours. They're gonna cook around 4 hours. Turn and mop 'em after 1-1/2 and
3 hours. While they're smokin', prepare the 'Bour-BQ' sauce in a large
saucepan. Melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and
sauté 'til they begin to turn golden, maybe 5 minutes. Add the remaining
ingredients, reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixtures thickens,
about 40 minutes, stirring frequently.

Brush the ribs with the sauce a couple of times in the last 45 minutes of
cooking. Return the remaining sauce to the stove and simmer 15 to 20
minutes 'til it's reduced by 1/3 and gooey and sticky.

When the ribs are ready, a fork will easily enter the meat. Serve with the
reduced sauce on the side.

******************

Chili powder

INGREDIENTS

* 1/4 cup ancho chile powder
* 1/4 cup red New Mexico chile powder
* 2 tablespoons toasted and ground cumin seeds
* 2 tablespoons onion powder
* 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
* 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice

**********************

An easy homemade chili powder recipe.

Ingredients:

* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Jun-2010, "ViLco" > wrote:

> Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from Italy
> also.
> I'm going to have a cook out with friends this Saturday and I'll be in
> charge for the grill. I'll use charcoal placed about 8-9 inches under the
> griddle, where I'll grill some chicken, some pork sausages and chops and
> some pork ribs.
> The fire-pit will be exactly this one, I'll be running two since we're a
> dozen friends:
> http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic....htm?r=6215667
>
> The ribs look like these and I'm sure many of you have cooked tons of
> them.
> Whole rack, raw:
> http://img75.imageshack.us/i/dscn4300vx7.jpg/
> Some spare ones, cooked:
> http://www.buttalapasta.it/wp-galler...-babrbecue.jpg
>
> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, I use to
> marinate them in red sparkling wine and garlic overnight and then, when
> the
> day comes, grill them with some rosemary and freshly ground pepper, and
> salt
> near the end of the cooking time.
>
> This saturday I'll grill a batch of pork ribs in my usual way and wanted
> make a second batch in a sweet and sour rub as I have seen (or read about)
>
> many times over many NG's, including this one. Googling around I have
> found
> tons of recipes for rubs, very different one another, and since I'm new to
>
> this kind of rubs I ask if someone here on AFB can point me to some true
> and
> tested recipes.
> Thanks!
> --
> Vilco

Hi Vilco, I'm Brick. I have seen your posts a few times and Nick Cramer
has mentioned you also. I read through your post and all of the comments.
You said that sweet and sour was strange to you. You have read here
that it is strange to us also. Sweet and sour pork is not strange to Asian
people. It is quite common in Asian restaurants and is commonly cooked
over high heat in a Wok. The idea of producing "Sweet And Sour" barbecued
ribs is a challenge and I wonder why someone would want to do that. To
accomplish this feat with the equipment you have available will require some
procedures that are frowned upon in this group. Nevertheless, it can be
done and the result should be quite pleasant. My Puerto Rican neighbors
do a similar process all the time with quite palatable results.

1. Clean your meat in 'your' normal manner. Get it to room temperature
and make sure that it is not wet.

2. Start the whole rib pieces on a hot grill and grill on both sides just
enough to develope some flavor.

3. Wrap the rib pieces in foil and move to a moderately hot grill. Cook
until completely done inside the foil.

4. Open the foil and coat the ribs completely with 'your' sweet and sour
sauce. Reseal the foil and continue to grill just long enough to 'Set'
the sauce.

It won't be barbecue, but it will be good. I know that you know how to
cook, so if you want to do this, just get it done and don't burn it. As
I understand your intent you want to achieve "Sweet and Sour BBQ".
It is important to achieve the initial carmelization of surface sugars
to achieve the taste that you want. You can do this on a grill with
a much different effect then could be achieved in a wok with oil involved.
After the initial grilling, you must manage to break down the tough
connective tissue in the ribs. You can manage this by continuing to
heat the ribs in foil (Steaming) until the collagen has broken down.
Finally you can achieve the sweet and sour effect by coating and
heating the sweet and sour sauce on the already cooked ribs.

--
Brick (If there is a nit to be picked. Some nitwit will pick it)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 11:53:22 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> ViLco wrote:
>>
>>> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs,
>>> ....snip

>> Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and
>> professionally, I have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and
>> sour' rub. Sweet and sour rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an
>> American thing. Typical American bbq uses many savory dry herbs and
>> spices, with perhaps a bit of 'sweet' if something like brown sugar
>> is added to the rub. I don't even think I would like a 'sweet and
>> sour rub'; it sounds like it would turn out something akin to some
>> sort of potato chip flavoring.

> Dave,
>
> I assumed he was thinking of a rub which has salt and sugar and didn't
> know how to say it, but I don't know, he is a valid poster on RFC so i
> took it with a grain of salt. Hopefully he'll post again and clarify.
> I work with a guy born and raised in Italy and his english is good but
> there have been times of verbal confusion.

(smile) I know who Vilco is, since I have participated on RFC for over a
dozen years. Perhaps it was poor English language skills, perhaps not. I
don't possess the ability to read his intentions, so I simply respond to the
words written.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 21:56:33 +0000 (UTC), piedmont wrote:

> I assumed he was thinking of a rub which has salt and sugar and didn't
> know how to say it, but I don't know, he is a valid poster on RFC so i
> took it with a grain of salt. Hopefully he'll post again and clarify. I
> work with a guy born and raised in Italy and his english is good but
> there have been times of verbal confusion.

Vilco has better English than many Americans. And he also knows
the slang and the funky whatchamacallits. I've always meant to
ask him how he learned American English so well. So I am now...
Vilco?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, ....snip

> Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and professionally, I
> have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and sour' rub. Sweet and sour
> rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an American thing. Typical American bbq
> uses many savory dry herbs and spices, with perhaps a bit of 'sweet' if
> something like brown sugar is added to the rub. I don't even think I
> would like a 'sweet and sour rub'; it sounds like it would turn out
> something akin to some sort of potato chip flavoring.

I worded it badly, the idea was "a sauce both savoury and sweet". Many
recipes for ribs that I have seen used sugar in the sauce to put on ribs
during cooking. That's what I did mean. Thanks for the correction

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ViLco wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, ....snip

>> Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and professionally,
>> I have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and sour' rub. Sweet and
>> sour rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an American thing. Typical
>> American bbq uses many savory dry herbs and spices, with perhaps a bit
>> of 'sweet' if something like brown sugar is added to the rub. I don't
>> even think I would like a 'sweet and sour rub'; it sounds like it
>> would turn out something akin to some sort of potato chip flavoring.

> I worded it badly, the idea was "a sauce both savoury and sweet". Many
> recipes for ribs that I have seen used sugar in the sauce to put on ribs
> during cooking. That's what I did mean. Thanks for the correction

I have attempted versions of what you might call a "sweet and sour" rub.

Sugar based rub + citric acid powder

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 21:56:33 +0000 (UTC), piedmont wrote:

>> I assumed he was thinking of a rub which has salt and sugar and didn't
>> know how to say it, but I don't know, he is a valid poster on RFC so i
>> took it with a grain of salt. Hopefully he'll post again and clarify. I
>> work with a guy born and raised in Italy and his english is good but
>> there have been times of verbal confusion.

> Vilco has better English than many Americans. And he also knows
> the slang and the funky whatchamacallits.

But I still sometimes stumble on specific terms...

> I've always meant to ask him how he learned American English so well.
> So I am now...
> Vilco?

Thanks to the need. I really did need to know english as a kid, about 12
years old, because at that age I loved boardgames. Not games like monopoly,
I mean games like "squad leader", "sniper", "flight leader", mostly from the
Avalon Hill game company, all of them with theyr thick manuals in english
only. In Italy that's the age for intermediate schools, when kids started
stuyding english, from 10 to 13 years of age. I had a very good english
teacher during the intermediate schools and this alo helped a lot,
expeciallly when I was asking her how to translate a sentence containing,
for example, hipothetic conditional past tenses and such. These are things
that I should have encountered at 16 or 17, during the third year of high
school. Thanks to Avalon Hill's games I was about 4 years in advance. When I
got to the high school, at 14 years, I never learned anything new. I liked
the subject and applied enough, but it really was always already seen. Those
have been five years or pure "review" of english, to me. Then I stopped
playing those boardgames but I was using a lot of computer software and it
was almost all in english, the first translations of american software into
italian started when the PC took the place of the typewrite, in the 90's
circa, before then the software was almost all in english. So the IT helped,
too. Then came the newsgroups, initially for strictly IT-related questions,
so my first NG has been in english, a microsoft NG related to a database
applications development tool. And that helped too. As of today, I
participate in many english NG's to learn, share info and meet people and
also to keep my english up to date.
Regarding my knowledge of american slang and such, I think most of it comes
from 2 sources: newsgroups and tv series. The series I remember watching a
lot, in english, were Beavis and Butthead, The Simpsons, all the 7 seasons
of the canadian Trailer park Boys. And some videogame, too, like the GTA
serie.
I'm jess playin' GTA4 atm, bro'! It's rockin'!
Thanks for your compliment, Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Grilling pork ribs, which sweet and savoury sauce?

"Dave Bugg" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> (smile) I know who Vilco is, since I have participated on RFC for over a
> dozen years. Perhaps it was poor English language skills, perhaps not. I
> don't possess the ability to read his intentions, so I simply respond to
> the words written.

LOL, thanks everybody.
What I had in mind was basically this: make a tomato based sauce with some
sugar and use it botr to tub the ribs and to go with them during the
cooking. Maybe adding some sauce if it somehow wears off.

The final output should be ribs with a thin coating of this sauce, with the
stickyness of the pork fat and that of the sugar.

I gahter that I should better use brown sugar, and I have it ready. Some
sourness could come from lime juice, and tomato will be the base for the
sauce. I see many here talked about worcestershire, I don'y have it but what
about some drops of dark soy sauce?

Does it sound edible to you BBQers? Someone grills something along these
lines?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Hi, maybe some of you already know me, I'm Vilco from RFC, and from Italy
>> also.

> Who? Italy... BBQ... does not compute.

You remind me of a certain Jerry guy who said the same about fast food, lol

>> The fire-pit will be exactly this one, I'll be running two since we're a
>> dozen friends:
>> http://www.tinysites.com/SitesPublic....htm?r=6215667

> Are those the public grills at a park?

Yes. They have a big griddle where one can directly put things to cook, or
put things in wallet-like griddles to easily turn the food if it is thin.
These are called wallet-like griddles because they can be opened, filled
with meat and then closed flat: one can turn the whole griddle in just a
move. This is one of those griddles:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/39/db/e57a_35.JPG

>> The ribs look like these and I'm sure many of you have cooked tons of
>> them.
>> Whole rack, raw:
>> http://img75.imageshack.us/i/dscn4300vx7.jpg/

> A little homeless looking, but those are pork spare ribs.

Pork spares, yes.

> Otherwise I'd just bag the idea completely. Sweet and sour ribs
> are not common to any quisine I know of.

Yes, it should have been "both savoury and sweet". And I think that I'll
need to add this rub/sauce when the cooking will be almost complete, like 10
or 15 minutes before removing them from the grill.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Thanks!

> Vilco,
>
> I'm not sure what a sweet and sour rub would be but in my family we
> typically have used a blend of Garlic and Onion Powders, Ground Black
> Pepper, Salt, Ground Red Cayenne Pepper, which I put in a base of Paprika.
>
> You could easily add a white or brown sugar to it if you wanted sweet but
> I never do.

Thanks for the recipe, looks interesting. Since I'm almost new to the "rub"
concept, should this rub be put onto the ribs only after they have cooked
almost thoroughly, like 10 or 15 minutes before removing from fire?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Jun-2010, "ViLco" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > ha scritto nel messaggio

snip

> What I had in mind was basically this: make a tomato based sauce with some
>
> sugar and use it botr to tub the ribs and to go with them during the
> cooking. Maybe adding some sauce if it somehow wears off.
>
> The final output should be ribs with a thin coating of this sauce, with
> the
> stickyness of the pork fat and that of the sugar.

snip a couple of more lines.

> Does it sound edible to you BBQers? Someone grills something along these
> lines?

I can see that clearly in my mind. Sugar presents a problem. I don't see
how to get from here to there without using some foil in the process. I
have never done this, but the procedure is very common to my neighbors
whom are not hung up about authenticity or tradition. They grill, season,
foil, and finish naked on the grill to create some really excellent tender
ribs.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:53:36 -0700, Mort wrote:

> I have attempted versions of what you might call a "sweet and sour" rub.
>
> Sugar based rub + citric acid powder

I said the same

"We've never really cooked with a sweet and sour souce/rub either.
Citric acid and sugar?"

(the "Souce" was secret handshake from that other group)

How does the citric acid affect (effect? past tense?) spares?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 18:10:21 +0200, ViLco wrote:

> Avalon Hill game company,

Battle of the Bulge! In high school we had Avalon and we had D&D
clicks. Avalon lost, sorry.

I was a huge Infocom guy myself. My company was a big sponsor of
the original computer game-makers - like Chris Crawford (Balance
of Power (1985 and 2009) and Brian Moriarty.

> only. In Italy that's the age for intermediate schools, when kids started
> stuyding english, from 10 to 13 years of age. I had a very good english
> teacher during the intermediate schools and this alo helped a lot,
> expeciallly when I was asking her how to translate a sentence containing,
> for example, hipothetic conditional past tenses and such.

Can anybody here imagine having to LEARN English?

Hah!

> So the IT helped,
> too. Then came the newsgroups, initially for strictly IT-related questions,
> so my first NG has been in english, a microsoft NG related to a database
> applications development tool. And that helped too.

I remember the days when I used to use Usenet for actual work.

Or do I?

> Regarding my knowledge of american slang and such, I think most of it comes
> from 2 sources: newsgroups and tv series. The series I remember watching a
> lot, in english, were Beavis and Butthead, The Simpsons, all the 7 seasons
> of the canadian Trailer park Boys. And some videogame, too, like the GTA
> serie.

GTA, no wonder!

Thanks for the great insight into the Theory of Everything. We'll
chat more in that super-secret facebook group :-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Avalon Hill game company,

> Battle of the Bulge! In high school we had Avalon and we had D&D
> clicks. Avalon lost, sorry.

LOL; I played some D&D and MERP, but role playing games are not my choice.

> I was a huge Infocom guy myself. My company was a big sponsor of
> the original computer game-makers - like Chris Crawford (Balance
> of Power (1985 and 2009) and Brian Moriarty.

Nice to hear it

>> Regarding my knowledge of american slang and such, I think most of it
>> comes
>> from 2 sources: newsgroups and tv series. The series I remember watching
>> lot, in english, were Beavis and Butthead, The Simpsons, all the 7
>> seasons
>> of the canadian Trailer park Boys. And some videogame, too, like the GTA
>> serie.

> GTA, no wonder!

LOL

> Thanks for the great insight into the Theory of Everything. We'll
> chat more in that super-secret facebook group :-)

ROTFL

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:47:54 +0200, "ViLco" >
wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > ha scritto nel messaggio
m...

>>> Since I am italian I never used a sweet and sour rub on ribs, ....snip

>> Since I am American, and have done ribs personally and professionally, I
>> have never used (nor have hear of) a 'sweet and sour' rub. Sweet and sour
>> rub is not a bbq thing, nor is it an American thing. Typical American bbq
>> uses many savory dry herbs and spices, with perhaps a bit of 'sweet' if
>> something like brown sugar is added to the rub. I don't even think I
>> would like a 'sweet and sour rub'; it sounds like it would turn out
>> something akin to some sort of potato chip flavoring.

>I worded it badly, the idea was "a sauce both savoury and sweet". Many
>recipes for ribs that I have seen used sugar in the sauce to put on ribs
>during cooking. That's what I did mean. Thanks for the correction

Vilco, for a future cook, you might try the rub and finishing glaze
here on Danny Gaulden's site.
http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
It's somewhat sweet, with the brown sugar, and depending on how much
cayenne you use (I'm a wimp and use about 1/3 the mentioned amount),
can have a nice kick. Definitely is savory.

Hope your cook turned out well.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>I worded it badly, the idea was "a sauce both savoury and sweet". Many
>>recipes for ribs that I have seen used sugar in the sauce to put on ribs
>>during cooking. That's what I did mean. Thanks for the correction

> Vilco, for a future cook, you might try the rub and finishing glaze
> here on Danny Gaulden's site.
> http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
> It's somewhat sweet, with the brown sugar, and depending on how much
> cayenne you use (I'm a wimp and use about 1/3 the mentioned amount),
> can have a nice kick. Definitely is savory.
>
> Hope your cook turned out well.

Thanks, both for the link and the good wishing. That page is already in my
cooking favorites, in the "to try" section.
The ribs came out nice, very akin to what I had in mind: I used 10 oz tomato
sauce, 7 tsp's of brown sugar (next time I'll use more, like 10-12 tsp), a
couple of Tsp's of dark soy sauce and some red wine vinegar. The sauce
stayed on the ribs 3 hours before grilling and then it started to wear off
mainly for the grease dripping off the ribs. So I added some at halfway
point and more near the end. It kind of "glazed", getting a nice half
caramelized and half charred feel (not totally charred, ie.: no black, just
dark brown). They cooked for about 1 hour, the first 15 minutes over a very
hot grill and then over a weaker one with less charcoal. Friends loved them
but the sweet in them is something we italians are not much used to. Many of
us still fall off the chair when hearing people talking about sugar in theyr
tomato sauce for spaghettis. So, the spare ribs who were much appreciated
have been the ones I simply marinated overnight in lambrusco grasparossa, a
wine with the typical acidity of lambrusco and a nice tannic note who helps
tenderize meat. This grasparossa ribs are one of my signature dishes
nowadays.
Thanks everybody for the heads up regarding the terms involved

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 18:44:53 +0200, "ViLco" >
wrote:

>"piedmont" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>> Thanks!

>> Vilco,
>>
>> I'm not sure what a sweet and sour rub would be but in my family we
>> typically have used a blend of Garlic and Onion Powders, Ground Black
>> Pepper, Salt, Ground Red Cayenne Pepper, which I put in a base of Paprika.
>>
>> You could easily add a white or brown sugar to it if you wanted sweet but
>> I never do.

>Thanks for the recipe, looks interesting. Since I'm almost new to the "rub"
>concept, should this rub be put onto the ribs only after they have cooked
>almost thoroughly, like 10 or 15 minutes before removing from fire?

A dry rub such as Piedmont mentioned goes on before the cook,
sometimes the night before. Many of us brush CYM (cheap yellow
[prepared] mustard) on the ribs then apply the rub. The mustard won't
have any noticeable affect on flavor, but helps the rub adhere.

It's tricky for me, since you grill ribs--I just don't grill ribs;
I've always smoked them, so the best ways to do them on a grill are
unknown to me.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/6/2010 11:53 AM, Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 18:44:53 +0200, >
> wrote:

>>> Vilco,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what a sweet and sour rub would be but in my family we
>>> typically have used a blend of Garlic and Onion Powders, Ground Black
>>> Pepper, Salt, Ground Red Cayenne Pepper, which I put in a base of Paprika.
>>>
>>> You could easily add a white or brown sugar to it if you wanted sweet but
>>> I never do.

>> Thanks for the recipe, looks interesting. Since I'm almost new to the "rub"
>> concept, should this rub be put onto the ribs only after they have cooked
>> almost thoroughly, like 10 or 15 minutes before removing from fire?

> A dry rub such as Piedmont mentioned goes on before the cook,
> sometimes the night before. Many of us brush CYM (cheap yellow
> [prepared] mustard) on the ribs then apply the rub. The mustard won't
> have any noticeable affect on flavor, but helps the rub adhere.
>
> It's tricky for me, since you grill ribs--I just don't grill ribs;
> I've always smoked them, so the best ways to do them on a grill are
> unknown to me.

I have cooked 1 rack of ribs on a weber kettle. I suppose you could say
they are grilled indirectly, but I still call them barbecued. It can be
done, but you do want to be careful. The Weber can get hot, hotter then
you need or want for ribs. Have not done it often to determine a good
amount of lump or coals to start out with.

BBQ

Sweet and Sour Pork Duckie ® Recipes 1 21-01-2007 08:57 PM
Lo-Carb Sweet-Sour Pork See Hear Diabetic 1 20-02-2006 07:48 PM
REC: Sweet and Sour Pork limey General Cooking 0 05-01-2005 09:28 PM
Sweet & Sour Pork FreddieN Asian Cooking 10 22-09-2004 12:12 PM
Following up tonight's Sweet-Sour Ribs Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 14-02-2004 03:20 PM