Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Charcoal Grill Users - Talk Me Out Of It!

I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
charcoal too.

I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
grill up a few things for dinner.

I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
in my yard.

Has anyone else made this leap as well?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 31-May-2010, Cam > wrote:

> On May 31, 12:45*pm, Philly Ray > wrote:
> > I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> > always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> > my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> > chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> > grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> > charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> > charcoal too.
> >
> > I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> > end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> > grill up a few things for dinner.
> >
> > I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> > buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> > getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> > in my yard.
> >
> > Has anyone else made this leap as well?

> I have a gas grill, a Lodge hibachi and 2 WSMs and I'd bet there are
> many who read this group that make me look like a piker. Go ahead, get
> a gasser, they are convenient.
>
> Cam

I have a lodge grill a gas grill an offset smoker and a gas bullet smoker.
I even use some of them.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Philly Ray > wrote:

> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.
>
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.
>
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

Sorta kinda, but I'm planning on a Lodge cast iron Hibachi. :-)
Right now I have this:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/JapaneseMiniHibachi#>

Gas is not going to replace the flavor of wood or charcoal. No way, no
how! Just consider going down in size. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
news
> Sorta kinda, but I'm planning on a Lodge cast iron Hibachi. :-)
> Right now I have this:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/JapaneseMiniHibachi#>

Very nice gadget, one could throw a hibachi party with some of those.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Philly Ray" > wrote in message
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.

Just do it. You can't help it if your taste buds are shot.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 31, 12:45*pm, Philly Ray > wrote:
> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.
>
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.
>
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

I have a gas grill, a Lodge hibachi and 2 WSMs and I'd bet there are
many who read this group that make me look like a piker. Go ahead, get
a gasser, they are convenient.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"ViLco" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> news >
> > Sorta kinda, but I'm planning on a Lodge cast iron Hibachi. :-)
> > Right now I have this:
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/JapaneseMiniHibachi#>

> Very nice gadget, one could throw a hibachi party with some of those.

<grins> If you did not mind stoking the fire every hour!
With charcoal, it does burn longer...

I mainly cook for 2 people so it works ok. ;-)

Come to think of it, having a half dozen of these could be fun and would
not take up much space. Hmmmmmm...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:26:30 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>Sorta kinda, but I'm planning on a Lodge cast iron Hibachi. :-)
>Right now I have this:
>
><http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/JapaneseMiniHibachi#>

My lady Desi has the Lodge Sportsman's Grill--I gifted her with it 2,
maybe 3, summers ago--and she's really enjoyed it. The one problem
with it--and of course your mini has it too--is that there's no lid.

We're about to have a thorough collection on the deck. Right now we
have: Weber Genesis Silver A, Weber Smokey Joe, WSM, and the Lodge.
And we have a One Touch Gold on the way. I think the gasser will wind
up being primarily for such things as corn or sausages--stuff wanting
low to medium heat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:45:54 -0700 (PDT), Philly Ray
> wrote:

>I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
>always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
>my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
>chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
>grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
>charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
>charcoal too.

So cook a bunch of stuff--use all the fire time you have. That's what
my Desi's done ever since I got her the Lodge Sportsman's. She'd cook
up a week or 10 days' worth of food.

However, nothing at all wrong with having the gasser as well as your
kettle. I suspect close to half the afb regs have at least two
cookers outside.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Philly Ray wrote:
> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.
>
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.
>
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

Why choose?

Weber Silver B - been going string for 10 years - LOVE it! And
a WSM for when I want to use lump.

Best of both worlds... can do whatever I choose...

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:48:54 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:45:54 -0700 (PDT), Philly Ray
> wrote:
>
>>I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
>>always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
>>my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
>>chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
>>grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
>>charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
>>charcoal too.

>So cook a bunch of stuff--use all the fire time you have. That's what
>my Desi's done ever since I got her the Lodge Sportsman's. She'd cook
>up a week or 10 days' worth of food.
>
>However, nothing at all wrong with having the gasser as well as your
>kettle. I suspect close to half the afb regs have at least two
>cookers outside.

Desi hates to waste fire. ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:26:30 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Sorta kinda, but I'm planning on a Lodge cast iron Hibachi. :-)
> >Right now I have this:
> >
> ><http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/JapaneseMiniHibachi#>

> My lady Desi has the Lodge Sportsman's Grill--I gifted her with it 2,
> maybe 3, summers ago--and she's really enjoyed it. The one problem
> with it--and of course your mini has it too--is that there's no lid.

Yes, it's an open grill, but it still works.

> We're about to have a thorough collection on the deck. Right now we
> have: Weber Genesis Silver A, Weber Smokey Joe, WSM, and the Lodge.
> And we have a One Touch Gold on the way. I think the gasser will wind
> up being primarily for such things as corn or sausages--stuff wanting
> low to medium heat.

Hey, if it works for ya... <g>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> So cook a bunch of stuff--use all the fire time you have. That's what
> my Desi's done ever since I got her the Lodge Sportsman's. She'd cook
> up a week or 10 days' worth of food.

That is what I do a lot when I grill. Cook a week's worth of leftovers.
:-) My co-workers almost always curse me for making the break room
smell like BBQ. <g> They get jealous...

Cafeteria food just does not compare.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Philly Ray wrote:

....snip
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

I think many of us have both bbq pits and gas grills. Each do their own job.
No big deal.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Philly Ray wrote:
>
> ...snip
>> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
>> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
>> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
>> in my yard.
>>
>> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

> I think many of us have both bbq pits and gas grills. Each do their own job.
> No big deal.

And box smokers. And cold smokers. And homemade whatchumacallits.
The more the merrier.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 31, 9:45*am, Philly Ray > wrote:
> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.

If all you are grilling are things that take 5-10 minutes, well shoot,
use a microwave.

You've presented skewed facts to support a decision you've already
made, I ain't eating at your place, do what you like.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 31, 11:45*am, Philly Ray > wrote:
> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.
>
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.
>
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

No problem with your new gasser. Use it for your Tuesday nite burgers
and store assembled terriaki chicken kabobs. Don't however, let it
anywhere near your homemade brats or anything you get from Allen
Brothers.
Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Philly Ray wrote:
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

I just made the opposite leap. I have a Weber Q 200 that works very well for
quickly grilling stuff that doesn't need high temp, or for larger amounts of
food. I went out and bought a Weber Smokey Joe so the two of us could enjoy
some charcoal grilling every once in a while, since I enjoy the flavor of
charcoal grilled food so much. I'd probably have purchased a BGE or Kamodo
in a small size had I not been a cheap ******* at the time I was looking for
a small charcoal grill...

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> However, nothing at all wrong with having the gasser as well as your
> kettle. I suspect close to half the afb regs have at least two
> cookers outside.

Yup. Gasser, generic POS worn out charcoal travel grill, kettle, and a CoS.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:34:55 -0700, "vex" > wrote:

>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> However, nothing at all wrong with having the gasser as well as your
>> kettle. I suspect close to half the afb regs have at least two
>> cookers outside.

>Yup. Gasser, generic POS worn out charcoal travel grill, kettle, and a CoS.

CoS, Brett? Translation? (or is it an item better left to the
inhabitants of Sedro's best-known institution?)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Philly Ray wrote:
>> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
>> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
>> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
>> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
>> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
>> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
>> charcoal too.
>>
>> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
>> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
>> grill up a few things for dinner.
>>
>> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
>> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
>> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
>> in my yard.
>>
>> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

> Why choose?
>
> Weber Silver B - been going string for 10 years - LOVE it! And
> a WSM for when I want to use lump.

Weber Silver B is OK, only OK with cast iron grates. Even then it won't char
a steak. It's a backup for the Performer when it's raining.

> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Philly Ray" > wrote in message
>I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.
>
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.
>
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

You might look at the Weber Performer. I have that alongside the Weber
Silver Genesis B. The Performer charcoal grill is used 85% of the time. A
gas grill won't grill a steak char-rare. A porcelein coated cast iron grate
on the gas grill is actually better than charcoal for a flaky fish, like
snapper. There's just two of us. The Performer is as easy as gas. The
problem with the current model is that it doesn't have the 5lb propane tank.
If you can find a used one in good shape with the propane tank grab it. I
get 200 charcoal lights per 5lb of propane.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:45:54 -0700 (PDT), Philly Ray wrote:

> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
> charcoal too.
>
> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
> grill up a few things for dinner.
>
> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
> in my yard.
>
> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

Nobody will think you're a wimp for grilling on a Smokey Joe. I
leaped from a Standard Weber Kettle to a SJ Platinum (then Silver)
22 years ago.

Then from there I leaped to Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
(Green), which also acts as a slightly adjustable grill. You can
grill 3" above the coals or 12" (good for chicken flare-ups). You
can get by with as little as 12-14 briquettes on both the SJ and
the Green Gourmet. And best of all, it acts of as a smoker, too.
Which, IMO, is the only possible "step up" from charcoal/wood
grilling.

I'm breaking one in today with 276 pounds of short ribs (ended up
going out of town for 5 days and didn't get to cook them on
Monday). Pictures on ABF later - my long-lost camera appeared
today just after I put the ribs on, so no "stacks or raw meat"
photo, just cooking/cooked.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 2, 12:10*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> I'm breaking one in today with 276 pounds of

Say what?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:47:55 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

> On May 31, 9:45*am, Philly Ray > wrote:
>> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
>> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
>> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
>> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
>> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
>> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
>> charcoal too.

> If all you are grilling are things that take 5-10 minutes, well shoot,
> use a microwave.
>
> You've presented skewed facts to support a decision you've already
> made, I ain't eating at your place, do what you like.

What was skewed? The kettles are charcoal hogs - no argument
there.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:10:25 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm breaking one in today with 276 pounds of short ribs

Uh, divide that by 10.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:18:29 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

> On Jun 2, 12:10*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>

>> I'm breaking one in today with 276 pounds of

> Say what?

They were cheap, only $405.00! And since I didn't cook them on
Memorial Day like I planed, I get them all to myself!

(See my previous post. But they were $1.50/lb, everyday price)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Philly Ray wrote:
>>> I have owned a Weber One Touch Gold for about 10 years and it has
>>> always done right by me. However, there are only three of us living in
>>> my house and I'm getting less and less thrilled about firing up the
>>> chimney starter for 20-30 minutes for only 5-10 minutes of actual
>>> grill time for the food. Add on the 30-40 minutes afterwards that the
>>> charcoal is still burning, and I always think of it as a waste of
>>> charcoal too.
>>>
>>> I never thought I would say this, but I am actually considering a low-
>>> end Weber gas grill (a Summit?) for those nights when we just want to
>>> grill up a few things for dinner.
>>>
>>> I know that charcoal will always be number one in my heart (and taste
>>> buds) but I can definitely see the convenience of gas. I don't plan on
>>> getting rid of the One Touch, but I hope they can peacefully co-exist
>>> in my yard.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else made this leap as well?

>> Why choose?
>>
>> Weber Silver B - been going string for 10 years - LOVE it! And
>> a WSM for when I want to use lump.
>>

> Weber Silver B is OK, only OK with cast iron grates. Even then it won't char
> a steak. It's a backup for the Performer when it's raining.
>

>> Steve

I have the porcelain coated CI and I can sear a steak, np. You sure your
mixture's adjusted right?

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:

>>> Why choose?
>>>
>>> Weber Silver B - been going string for 10 years - LOVE it! And
>>> a WSM for when I want to use lump.
>>>

>> Weber Silver B is OK, only OK with cast iron grates. Even then it won't
>> char a steak. It's a backup for the Performer when it's raining.
>>

> I have the porcelain coated CI and I can sear a steak, np. You sure your
> mixture's adjusted right?
>
> Steve

I have the same and I can't grill to char-rare like this.
http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks
You can accomplish this with charcoal. You can't with the Weber Silver
Genesis B with cast iron grates.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
<snip>
>>> Weber Silver B is OK, only OK with cast iron grates. Even then it won't
>>> char a steak. It's a backup for the Performer when it's raining.
>>>

>> I have the porcelain coated CI and I can sear a steak, np. You sure your
>> mixture's adjusted right?
>>
>> Steve

> I have the same and I can't grill to char-rare like this.
> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks
> You can accomplish this with charcoal. You can't with the Weber Silver
> Genesis B with cast iron grates.
>
> Kent

well, I don't wanna argue, but I suggest if you can't achieve that with
your unit, then it's busticated....

I can achieve much more char than that and keep things at around med
rare if I choose.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:17:31 -0700, Kent wrote:

> I have the same and I can't grill to char-rare like this.

Kent, nothing is possible in your world. Haven't you come to
accept that fact yet?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I have the same and I can't grill to char-rare like this.
> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks

If I may be so bold as to point to the obvious, that's just you.

> You can accomplish this with charcoal. You can't with the Weber Silver
> Genesis B with cast iron grates.

As I said above, that's just you.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
> <snip>
>>>>
>>> I have the porcelain coated CI and I can sear a steak, np. You sure your
>>> mixture's adjusted right?
>>>
>>> Steve

>> I have the same and I can't grill to char-rare like this.
>> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks
>> You can accomplish this with charcoal. You can't with the Weber Silver
>> Genesis B with cast iron grates.
>>
>> Kent

> well, I don't wanna argue, but I suggest if you can't achieve that with
> your unit, then it's busticated....
>
> I can achieve much more char than that and keep things at around med rare
> if I choose.
>
> Steve

Whadya do, again with a Silver Genesis B and CI porceleinized grates? You
"bake the steak" with the hood down. There is a grey band between the
surface and the center. The surface isn't "ruth chris" chared with hood up
or hood down. With the hood up, the propane grill won't brown at all. You
get a couple of grid streaks, a red rare dot in the middle and a large grey
band.

Send us a pic

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> I have the same and I can't grill to char-rare like this.
>>> http://ruthchris.com/Menu/Steaks
>>> You can accomplish this with charcoal. You can't with the Weber Silver
>>> Genesis B with cast iron grates.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> well, I don't wanna argue, but I suggest if you can't achieve that with
>> your unit, then it's busticated....
>>
>> I can achieve much more char than that and keep things at around med rare
>> if I choose.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Whadya do, again with a Silver Genesis B and CI porceleinized grates? You
> "bake the steak" with the hood down. There is a grey band between the
> surface and the center. The surface isn't "ruth chris" chared with hood up
> or hood down. With the hood up, the propane grill won't brown at all. You
> get a couple of grid streaks, a red rare dot in the middle and a large grey
> band.
>
> Send us a pic
>
> Kent

I heat it up and cook the steak. If you don't know how to cook a steak
as long as you've been here then you're beyond help.

As much as I hate to do it, I'm afraid all of the others are right,
you're just not worth the effort. I try to give people the benefit of
the doubt but...

What's that old quote: "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be
able to tell the difference." ~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>>> Kent wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> well, I don't wanna argue, but I suggest if you can't achieve that with
>>> your unit, then it's busticated....
>>>
>>> I can achieve much more char than that and keep things at around med
>>> rare if I choose.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Whadya do, again with a Silver Genesis B and CI porceleinized grates? You
>> "bake the steak" with the hood down. There is a grey band between the
>> surface and the center. The surface isn't "ruth chris" chared with hood
>> up or hood down. With the hood up, the propane grill won't brown at all.
>> You get a couple of grid streaks, a red rare dot in the middle and a
>> large grey band.
>>
>> Send us a pic
>>
>> Kent

> I heat it up and cook the steak. If you don't know how to cook a steak as
> long as you've been here then you're beyond help.
>
> As much as I hate to do it, I'm afraid all of the others are right, you're
> just not worth the effort. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt
> but...
>
> What's that old quote: "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able
> to tell the difference." ~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain
>
> Steve

As I said above, send us a pic. with the steak cut through as in the Ruth
Chris ad.

Look at this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnPiGylyvQ

That's what you end up with. That ain't char-rare.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 3, 5:16*pm, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> What's that old quote: "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be
> able to tell the difference." *~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain

LOL, I don't remember that one. Thanks, and very appropriate.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 18:27:44 -0700, Kent wrote:

> As I said above, send us a pic. with the steak cut through as in the Ruth
> Chris ad.

Have you actually ever BEEN to Ruth's Chris, Kent? Or are you
just you just using some retouched, photochopped ad-copy as an
example of what you think you like?

Go there, order a steak, cut into it, and take a picture.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 18:27:44 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> As I said above, send us a pic. with the steak cut through as in the Ruth
>> Chris ad.

> Have you actually ever BEEN to Ruth's Chris, Kent? Or are you
> just you just using some retouched, photochopped ad-copy as an
> example of what you think you like?
>
> Go there, order a steak, cut into it, and take a picture.
>
> -sw

Been to a few of 'em in our travels - no more - way overpriced and not
all that great. Pretty picture but that's about where the similarity
to reality ends.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> As I said above, send us a pic. with the steak cut through as in the
> Ruth Chris ad.
>
> Look at this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnPiGylyvQ
>
> That's what you end up with. That ain't char-rare.

ROTFLOL!! You are seriously OCD.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:34:55 -0700, "vex" > wrote:
>> Yup. Gasser, generic POS worn out charcoal travel grill, kettle, and
>> a CoS.

> CoS, Brett? Translation? (or is it an item better left to the
> inhabitants of Sedro's best-known institution?)

Cheap Offset Smoker.

--Brett