Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Found it!

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> Years and years ago, i was given a special sausage recipe by, i think it
> was Jack Schmidling.
>
> it had bacon in it as part of the recipe and for the life of me i cannot
> find it, google my butt of on google groups and cannot locate it.
>
> anyone got it?
>
> piedmont

Found it on an old back up CD!

Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe

3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
1 lb. pork butt
1 lb. smoked bacon
4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote
>> The ratio is 3:1 and the bacon is about 80% fat so I think it would be
>> OK. Chuck can be a little fatty too. Only change I'd make is to reduce
>> or eliminate the cloves. We don't care for clove very much, but the rest
>> sounds very good.

> i'm not a sausage expert but i thought it was ok with fat as listed. i
> approached it as a 'fresh' recipe and cooked right away and froze some. it
> has a 'gentle' flavor.

Commercial sausage can be up to 50% fat. Far too much for my taste. You
do need some or it will be very dry, but no need to go overboard.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "piedmont" > wrote
>>> The ratio is 3:1 and the bacon is about 80% fat so I think it would be
>>> OK. Chuck can be a little fatty too. Only change I'd make is to reduce
>>> or eliminate the cloves. We don't care for clove very much, but the
>>> rest sounds very good.

>> i'm not a sausage expert but i thought it was ok with fat as listed. i
>> approached it as a 'fresh' recipe and cooked right away and froze some.
>> it has a 'gentle' flavor.
>>

> Commercial sausage can be up to 50% fat. Far too much for my taste.
> You do need some or it will be very dry, but no need to go overboard.

Ed,
commercial sausage is one big reason i started making my own!
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"piedmont" > wrote:

> "piedmont" > wrote in message
> > Years and years ago, i was given a special sausage recipe by, i think it
> > was Jack Schmidling.
> >
> > it had bacon in it as part of the recipe and for the life of me i cannot
> > find it, google my butt of on google groups and cannot locate it.
> >
> > anyone got it?
> >
> > piedmont

> Found it on an old back up CD!
>
> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
>
> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
> 1 lb. pork butt
> 1 lb. smoked bacon
> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Needs Fenugreek. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "piedmont" > wrote:
>
>> "piedmont" > wrote in message
>> > Years and years ago, i was given a special sausage recipe by, i think
>> > it
>> > was Jack Schmidling.
>> >
>> > it had bacon in it as part of the recipe and for the life of me i
>> > cannot
>> > find it, google my butt of on google groups and cannot locate it.
>> >
>> > anyone got it?
>> >
>> > piedmont

>> Found it on an old back up CD!
>>
>> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
>>
>> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
>> 1 lb. pork butt
>> 1 lb. smoked bacon
>> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
>> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
>> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
>> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
>> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
>> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

> Needs Fenugreek. ;-)
> --
> Peace! Om

add as irecipe s or substitute something?
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote:
> "piedmont" > wrote in message

> > Years and years ago, i was given a special sausage recipe by, i think
> > it was Jack Schmidling.
> >
> > it had bacon in it as part of the recipe and for the life of me i
> > cannot find it, google my butt of on google groups and cannot locate
> > it.
> >
> > anyone got it?

> Found it on an old back up CD!
>
> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
>
> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
> 1 lb. pork butt
> 1 lb. smoked bacon
> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

What . . . no hot red pepper flakes or chiles?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"piedmont" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> Found it on an old back up CD!
> >>
> >> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
> >>
> >> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
> >> 1 lb. pork butt
> >> 1 lb. smoked bacon
> >> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
> >> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
> >> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
> >> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
> >> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
> >> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

> > Needs Fenugreek. ;-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> add as irecipe s or substitute something?
> piedmont

Add it. Trust me. ;-)
The recipe above is very Indian-ish. Fenugreek would compliment it
nicely. I've been experimenting lately with Indian-style spicing.

Make just a 4 oz. portion of it first tho' and see if you like it. I'd
start with about 1/4 tsp. (one pinch). Translates to 1 tsp. per lb.

Some of the above ingredients for this recipe are similar in masalas and
curries. Fenugreek finishes it off.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:12:53 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "piedmont" > wrote:
>
>> "piedmont" > wrote in message
>>> Years and years ago, i was given a special sausage recipe by, i think it
>>> was Jack Schmidling.
>>>
>>> it had bacon in it as part of the recipe and for the life of me i cannot
>>> find it, google my butt of on google groups and cannot locate it.
>>>
>>> anyone got it?
>>>
>>> piedmont

>> Found it on an old back up CD!
>>
>> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
>>
>> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
>> 1 lb. pork butt
>> 1 lb. smoked bacon
>> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
>> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
>> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
>> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
>> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
>> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

> Needs Fenugreek. ;-)

Not at all. Fenugreek only belongs iona select few sausgaes.
Unless you want every sauasage you make to tsate (and SMELL) like
Indian food. It really has no place in sausage making.

In not just my opinion, that is.

<http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=sausage+recpe+fenugreek &word2=sausage+recipe+-fenugreek>

I didn't even wait for the results before i posted this link, that's
how sure I am.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:12:53 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> >> Found it on an old back up CD!
> >>
> >> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
> >>
> >> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
> >> 1 lb. pork butt
> >> 1 lb. smoked bacon
> >> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
> >> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
> >> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
> >> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
> >> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
> >> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

> > Needs Fenugreek. ;-)

> Not at all. Fenugreek only belongs iona select few sausgaes.
> Unless you want every sauasage you make to tsate (and SMELL) like
> Indian food. It really has no place in sausage making.
>
> In not just my opinion, that is.
>
> <http://googlefight.com/index.php?lan...enugreek &wor
> d2=sausage+recipe+-fenugreek>
>
> I didn't even wait for the results before i posted this link, that's
> how sure I am.
>
> -sw

I see you missed the point luv. ;-) But that's ok. You have never had a
good opinion about my cooking...

But I agree that Fenugreek is a classic Indian spice.

So is Coriander.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:44:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:12:53 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> Needs Fenugreek. ;-)

>> Not at all. Fenugreek only belongs iona select few sausgaes.
>> Unless you want every sauasage you make to tsate (and SMELL) like
>> Indian food. It really has no place in sausage making.
>>
>> In not just my opinion, that is.
>>
>> <http://googlefight.com/index.php?lan...enugreek &wor
>> d2=sausage+recipe+-fenugreek>
>>
>> I didn't even wait for the results before i posted this link, that's
>> how sure I am.
>>
>> -sw

> I see you missed the point luv. ;-) But that's ok. You have never had a
> good opinion about my cooking...

I didn't miss the point at all. It's not an Indian sausage. Just
because it has some spices that are also used in Indian cooking does
not make it prone to adding more Indian spices to make it an Indian
sausage.

And it's not about your cooking. It's just some of your methods.
Like grinding a whole bottle of fenugreek at a time, when you should
only grind them as needed. But you seem to disregard advice and
pass out your own kinda willy nilly.

No offense. I know I've been kinda harsh to you lately. Not like
that Pee'dmont guy, though. I don't care about that.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:14:13 -0500, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

> "piedmont" > wrote:
>> "piedmont" > wrote in message

>> > Years and years ago, i was given a special sausage recipe by, i think
>> > it was Jack Schmidling.
>> >
>> > it had bacon in it as part of the recipe and for the life of me i
>> > cannot find it, google my butt of on google groups and cannot locate
>> > it.
>> >
>> > anyone got it?

>> Found it on an old back up CD!
>>
>> Jack Smith's Sausage Recipe
>>
>> 3 lbs. trimmed beef chuck
>> 1 lb. pork butt
>> 1 lb. smoked bacon
>> 4 1/2 tsp. roasted, crushed coriander seeds
>> 4 tsp. canning or kosher salt
>> 1 tsp. ground black pepper
>> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
>> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
>> 1/2 cup cider vinegar

> What . . . no hot red pepper flakes or chiles?

I made it this afternoon. Three modifications:

- Added red pepper flakes (3/4 tsp)
- Added my favorite sausage seasoning Mortons Sausage and Meatloaf
Seasoning (1 tbs). Makes perfect fresh breakfast sausage and blended in
here perfectly.
- Used uncured bacon (mostly since it was what I had around).

The result was extremely good and a lot of it is gone (not surprising with
four hungry kids at the table I guess). A keeper, thanks!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:44:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Not at all. Fenugreek only belongs iona select few sausgaes.
> >> Unless you want every sauasage you make to tsate (and SMELL) like
> >> Indian food. It really has no place in sausage making.
> >>
> >> In not just my opinion, that is.
> >>
> >> <http://googlefight.com/index.php?lan...e+fenugreek &
> >> wor
> >> d2=sausage+recipe+-fenugreek>
> >>
> >> I didn't even wait for the results before i posted this link, that's
> >> how sure I am.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > I see you missed the point luv. ;-) But that's ok. You have never had a
> > good opinion about my cooking...

> I didn't miss the point at all. It's not an Indian sausage. Just
> because it has some spices that are also used in Indian cooking does
> not make it prone to adding more Indian spices to make it an Indian
> sausage.

I wasn't suggesting he add it to ALL sausages, just thought it'd be a
good fit with this particular one.

> And it's not about your cooking. It's just some of your methods.
> Like grinding a whole bottle of fenugreek at a time, when you should
> only grind them as needed. But you seem to disregard advice and
> pass out your own kinda willy nilly.

Ok, that one I deserved. Nobody suggested (until now) that I not grind
those seeds en masse. I'll take that in to consideration next time I
purchase them. I did not stop to think about the fact that there were
no powdered ones when I was shopping. Thanks for the tip!

> No offense. I know I've been kinda harsh to you lately. Not like
> that Pee'dmont guy, though. I don't care about that.
>
> -sw

<shrugs> As long as it's CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, it's appreciated. ;-)
I know you are a good cook even tho' you tend to like hotter stuff than
I do...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news snip
>> add as irecipe s or substitute something?
>> piedmont

> Add it. Trust me. ;-)
> The recipe above is very Indian-ish. Fenugreek would compliment it
> nicely. I've been experimenting lately with Indian-style spicing.
>
> Make just a 4 oz. portion of it first tho' and see if you like it. I'd
> start with about 1/4 tsp. (one pinch). Translates to 1 tsp. per lb.
>
> Some of the above ingredients for this recipe are similar in masalas and
> curries. Fenugreek finishes it off.
> --
> Peace! Om

Om,

i will try it, thanks!
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "piedmont" > wrote:

snip
> What . . . no hot red pepper flakes or chiles?
>
> --
> Nick,

: ) nope, i like hot too but this to me has a good flavor easy to taste as
well as complicated, when Jack gave it to me he mentioned it was a special
sausage he really enjoyed. Jack was on AFB years ago, don't know where he
went but he contributed a lot.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"piedmont" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news > snip
> >> add as irecipe s or substitute something?
> >> piedmont

> > Add it. Trust me. ;-)
> > The recipe above is very Indian-ish. Fenugreek would compliment it
> > nicely. I've been experimenting lately with Indian-style spicing.
> >
> > Make just a 4 oz. portion of it first tho' and see if you like it. I'd
> > start with about 1/4 tsp. (one pinch). Translates to 1 tsp. per lb.
> >
> > Some of the above ingredients for this recipe are similar in masalas and
> > curries. Fenugreek finishes it off.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Om,
>
> i will try it, thanks!
> piedmont

I hope it works for you! I plan to try it and other Indian spices with
the next batch I make.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news snip

> I would personally never put whole seeds into a sausage.
> But that's just me. ;-) I'd pre-grind them every time! I just thought
> that perhaps a fine plate might work but I've never tried it.
> --
> Peace! Om

when i made this, at the time i didn't have a spice grinder so i roasted and
mashed them up inside a zip lock bag. the recipe does say to roast and
crush.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news snip
>> i will try it, thanks!
>> piedmont

> I hope it works for you! I plan to try it and other Indian spices with
> the next batch I make.
> --
> Peace! Om

your on target most of the time, and i ain't fussy so i probably love it.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"piedmont" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news > snip
> >> i will try it, thanks!
> >> piedmont

> > I hope it works for you! I plan to try it and other Indian spices with
> > the next batch I make.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> your on target most of the time, and i ain't fussy so i probably love it.
> piedmont

Be sure to report... :-) But go easy. It smells like pretty strong stuff.
And thanks for the compliment!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 16, 6:22*am, Omelet > wrote:

> Ok, that one I deserved. Nobody suggested (until now) that I not grind
> those seeds en masse. *I'll take that in to consideration next time I
> purchase them. *I did not stop to think about the fact that there were
> no powdered ones when I was shopping. Thanks for the tip!

I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?

Cam
not me
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Cam > wrote:

> On May 16, 6:22*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Ok, that one I deserved. Nobody suggested (until now) that I not grind
> > those seeds en masse. *I'll take that in to consideration next time I
> > purchase them. *I did not stop to think about the fact that there were
> > no powdered ones when I was shopping. Thanks for the tip!
> >

> I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
> still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?
>
> Cam
> not me

I actually have both...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cam" > wrote

> I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
> still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?
>
> Cam
> not me

I had fresh ground pepper for the first time one day about 40 years ago.
I've used nothing but fresh ground since. We have three grinders, one
black, one white, one a mix of black white, red, green.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> Cam > wrote:
> > On May 16, 6:22 am, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, that one I deserved. Nobody suggested (until now) that I not
> > > grind those seeds en masse. I'll take that in to consideration next
> > > time I purchase them. I did not stop to think about the fact that
> > > there were no powdered ones when I was shopping. Thanks for the tip!

> > I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
> > still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?

> > not me

> I actually have both...

Grinder for black pepper. Small shaker-bottle of ground white pepper.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > Cam > wrote:

> > > I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
> > > still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?

> > > not me

> > I actually have both...

> Grinder for black pepper. Small shaker-bottle of ground white pepper.

I have ground black pepper and ground white pepper in shakers.

The pepper grinder is reserved for the 5 color pepper, which I prefer
for table/top dressing cooked food. The other two get used for cooking.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-May-2010, Cam > wrote:

> On May 16, 6:22*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Ok, that one I deserved. Nobody suggested (until now) that I not grind
> > those seeds en masse. *I'll take that in to consideration next time I
> > purchase them. *I did not stop to think about the fact that there were
> > no powdered ones when I was shopping. Thanks for the tip!
> >

> I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
> still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?
>
> Cam

I don't buy ground pepper.

--
Brick said that
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Cam wrote:

> I'd like a quick show of hands here. Who owns a pepper grinder and
> still buys ground pepper to put in a shaker on the table?

Not me. I have a small pepper grinder for the table. Doesn't
everybody?

The only time I use pre-ground pepper is on my cashews. For some
reason black pepper cashews do not taste as good with FGBP.

-sw

sf found [email protected] General Cooking 0 27-04-2017 03:02 AM
found! Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 36 22-02-2010 09:16 PM
Look what I found!!! She Devil Esq. General Cooking 28 22-02-2010 01:14 PM
here are some of the best I have found Paul Sourdough 0 12-10-2007 06:36 AM
I found it Vickie General Cooking 15 19-04-2005 12:44 AM