Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Vaccu packing whole pork shoulders - what sealer and bags

I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
"seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
reduce that crappy freezer taste?

Thanks-

RC in Geneseo, IL
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"yelnoc" > wrote in message
>I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>
> Thanks-
>
> RC in Geneseo, IL

Tilia Foodsaver. It works as advertised, but Brick will say his snorkle
works better

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yelnoc wrote:
> I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>
> Thanks-
>
> RC in Geneseo, IL

Well, let's put it this way... I recently found a package of venison
which was vacuum sealed with our Tilia Foodsaver. I always date my
packages and this was dated 10/07. I seared it to med-rare and it
tasted like I'd just brought it home. (commercial quality freezer at
-20dF)

There are only two of us but I cook large dinners and we seal individual
portions for reheating either in boiling water or the microwave.

Get one, you'll be happy you did. Is the bag material slightly
expensive? eh - maybe, but is it more expensive than throwing out good
food which is simple to reheat? Not to me.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Apr-2010, yelnoc > wrote:

> I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>
> Thanks-
>
> RC in Geneseo, IL

I've been vacuum packing for several years, both with FoodSaver
(Channel bags) and with a snorkel machine which uses common
bags of all types except channel types. I confess that I have never
encounted the problem of undesireable tastes sneaking in. There's
fresh and then there's freezer fresh. If you solve the problem of
preserving fresh taste and texture through the freezer process,
be sure to patent your process before anybody else finds out about
it. Better yet, let me test it for you before you patent it.

To address your point about size, my Sinbo VS 280 handles gallon
size bags nicely. To go larger then that you're going to have to spend
some serious money on equipment. Think in terms of $3k+.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/21/2010 12:06 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> " > wrote in message ...
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
>>> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
>>> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
>>> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
>>> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
>>> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>>>
>>> Thanks-
>>>
>>> RC in Geneseo, IL

>> Tilia Foodsaver. It works as advertised, but Brick will say his snorkle
>> works better
>>

> Don't you have to be a member of Congress to snorkel?
>
> ;-)

Well they do tend to mask...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Apr-2010, " Joe" > wrote:

> "yelnoc" > wrote in message
> >I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
> > into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
> > shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
> > "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
> > pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
> > reduce that crappy freezer taste?
> >
> > Thanks-
> >
> > RC in Geneseo, IL

> Tilia Foodsaver. It works as advertised, but Brick will say his snorkle
> works better

It don't work better. It works cheaper. Right not my Snorkel is broken and
I'm using my ancient FoodSaver II from the made in Italy days. It has it's
quirks too. Its worst quirk though is that the bags I'm using right now
cost
26˘/ea in case lots. Same size bags for the snorkel come in at about 9˘/ea.
I use a lot of bags. I don't stand in line waiting for a sale on a limited
quantity of bags that are still likely to cost twice as much as snorkel
bags.
(Same company makes the bags for both machines.)
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Apr-2010, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> yelnoc wrote:
> > I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
> > into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
> > shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
> > "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
> > pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
> > reduce that crappy freezer taste?
> >
> > Thanks-
> >
> > RC in Geneseo, IL

> Well, let's put it this way... I recently found a package of venison
> which was vacuum sealed with our Tilia Foodsaver. I always date my
> packages and this was dated 10/07. I seared it to med-rare and it
> tasted like I'd just brought it home. (commercial quality freezer at
> -20dF)
>
> There are only two of us but I cook large dinners and we seal individual
> portions for reheating either in boiling water or the microwave.
>
> Get one, you'll be happy you did. Is the bag material slightly
> expensive? eh - maybe, but is it more expensive than throwing out good
> food which is simple to reheat? Not to me.
>
> --
> Steve

What Steve said. I didn't stop packing just because my snorkel machine
broke. I also have a FoodSaver from way back. I just finished installing
a keyboard drawer on one of my computer consoles. I still have to
replace a couple of capacitors in my Dell plasma TV before I get around
to looking at the snorkel machine again. And now I'm cleaning up after
a Trojan Horse virus that I was dumb enough to let into my network.

--
Brick (A woman's work is never done)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Joe wrote:
> "yelnoc" > wrote in message
>> I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
>> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
>> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
>> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
>> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
>> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>>
>> Thanks-
>>
>> RC in Geneseo, IL

> Tilia Foodsaver. It works as advertised, but Brick will say his snorkle
> works better

I'm voting with Brick. Da##it! the bags went up to 6.2 cents per)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"yelnoc" > wrote in message
>I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>
> Thanks-
>
> RC in Geneseo, IL

You could start out by buying a better quality freezer bag, i found a
difference between generics and brand name.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> What Steve said. I didn't stop packing just because my snorkel machine
> broke. I also have a FoodSaver from way back. I just finished installing
> a keyboard drawer on one of my computer consoles. I still have to
> replace a couple of capacitors in my Dell plasma TV before I get around
> to looking at the snorkel machine again. And now I'm cleaning up after
> a Trojan Horse virus that I was dumb enough to let into my network.

Thank you sir, but what's this 3k+ stuff to do a gallon + job?!?

The tilia will certainly handle that - I do it all the time - just make
a bigger bag... what's he problem? Or multiple bags, whatever your
preference is. I'm not seeing the issue with large volumes and the FS.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> "yelnoc" > wrote in message
>> I often need to cook ahead and have found undesirable tastes sneaking
>> into the zip locks and other freezer bags that I use, especially with
>> shoulders that I have already pulled. I am looking for recco's for a
>> "seal-a-meal" like appliance that can handle a whole shoulder or multi-
>> pounds of pulled pork. Also, is there hope the this type storage will
>> reduce that crappy freezer taste?
>>
>> Thanks-
>>
>> RC in Geneseo, IL

> You could start out by buying a better quality freezer bag, i found a
> difference between generics and brand name.

Agreed - brand name, period. You bought the thing to keep food edible vs
throwing it out. So it costs 6 cents vs 4 cents. If it saves throwing
out 5 pounds of Q or anything, to me it's done it's job and saved me $
and time in the long run.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Apr-2010, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > What Steve said. I didn't stop packing just because my snorkel machine
> > broke. I also have a FoodSaver from way back. I just finished
> > installing
> > a keyboard drawer on one of my computer consoles. I still have to
> > replace a couple of capacitors in my Dell plasma TV before I get around
> > to looking at the snorkel machine again. And now I'm cleaning up after
> > a Trojan Horse virus that I was dumb enough to let into my network.
> >

> Thank you sir, but what's this 3k+ stuff to do a gallon + job?!?
>
> The tilia will certainly handle that - I do it all the time - just make
> a bigger bag... what's he problem? Or multiple bags, whatever your
> preference is. I'm not seeing the issue with large volumes and the FS.
>
> --
> Steve

I thought I was responding to a requirement to vac-pak objects the
size of whole fresh hams and such. I don't know about your Tilia,
but mine would have a problem with that. My upper limit would
be somewhere in the order of a capon or small turkey. My sealer
max's out at about 12-1/4" wide. It doesn't care how long the bag
is, but a 12" wide bag won't suck up a whole ham.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 22-Apr-2010, Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> Brick wrote:
>>
>>> What Steve said. I didn't stop packing just because my snorkel machine
>>> broke. I also have a FoodSaver from way back. I just finished
>>> installing
>>> a keyboard drawer on one of my computer consoles. I still have to
>>> replace a couple of capacitors in my Dell plasma TV before I get around
>>> to looking at the snorkel machine again. And now I'm cleaning up after
>>> a Trojan Horse virus that I was dumb enough to let into my network.
>>>

>> Thank you sir, but what's this 3k+ stuff to do a gallon + job?!?
>>
>> The tilia will certainly handle that - I do it all the time - just make
>> a bigger bag... what's he problem? Or multiple bags, whatever your
>> preference is. I'm not seeing the issue with large volumes and the FS.
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> I thought I was responding to a requirement to vac-pak objects the
> size of whole fresh hams and such. I don't know about your Tilia,
> but mine would have a problem with that. My upper limit would
> be somewhere in the order of a capon or small turkey. My sealer
> max's out at about 12-1/4" wide. It doesn't care how long the bag
> is, but a 12" wide bag won't suck up a whole ham.

ah - good point. I overlooked that minor detail and was thinking along
the lines of an item hat lar that had been cut into smaller more
manageable pieces. Of course you're correct about the Tilias size
capability. I don't know of any bag material rolls that are wider than
eleven inches. Wouldn't fit in the machine anyhow. Now, how long can
they be and have the unit still to a good job? No clue - never mucked
around with that.... hmmmmm

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Apr-2010, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

> >> Thank you sir, but what's this 3k+ stuff to do a gallon + job?!?
> >>
> >> The tilia will certainly handle that - I do it all the time - just
> >> make
> >> a bigger bag... what's he problem? Or multiple bags, whatever your
> >> preference is. I'm not seeing the issue with large volumes and the FS.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Steve

> > I thought I was responding to a requirement to vac-pak objects the
> > size of whole fresh hams and such. I don't know about your Tilia,
> > but mine would have a problem with that. My upper limit would
> > be somewhere in the order of a capon or small turkey. My sealer
> > max's out at about 12-1/4" wide. It doesn't care how long the bag
> > is, but a 12" wide bag won't suck up a whole ham.
> >

> ah - good point. I overlooked that minor detail and was thinking along
> the lines of an item hat lar that had been cut into smaller more
> manageable pieces. Of course you're correct about the Tilias size
> capability. I don't know of any bag material rolls that are wider than
> eleven inches. Wouldn't fit in the machine anyhow. Now, how long can
> they be and have the unit still to a good job? No clue - never mucked
> around with that.... hmmmmm
>
> --
> Steve

So, we were trying to compare apples with oranges. I don't pack
whole birds, but have done so just to see if I could. I did that with
my snorkel machine using a 3 mil clear bag. I haven't packed a whole
bird with the Tilia (F.L.A.E.M.E.) machine, but it can certainly be
done with a 11" wide by "Real Long" bag.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I feel like the odd man out, here. I purchase my bags in long rolls
on ebay auctions, and they come from a guy that sells them in rolls.
So in effect, you get a giant sleeve, and make your own bags. They
can be tiny or as big as you want. Still, only 12" wide, but that
hasn't been a real handicap for me.

When I buy bags, I usually buy from this guy, and delivered to the
door puts them at about .22 a bag.

http://tinyurl.com/2bwnad5

But while I shop for a good deal, I really am looking for the utility
value. I like being able to come home and pull something out of the
freezer rather than go out to eat. How much money does that save?

I also cut up pork loins into chops, buy chicken any kind of meat that
is on a great sale and cut it up and seal it with the spices already
on the meat. The bags could cost $5 a piece and still the savings
from not going out to eat is spectacular.

And the convenience is hard to beat. We take something out of the
freezer and put it in the meat drawer a couple of days in advance and
it's ready to go. I also bag soups, sauces, left overs of all types,
etc.

My average cost on a bag is about .18 since I cut to fit. Can't kick
about that.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message news:0cb92bce-b9e9-4011-aaf2-
snip

> http://tinyurl.com/2bwnad5

snip
> Robert

Link came back as,
This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.a.. Please
check that you've entered the correct item number
b.. Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for
viewing.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Vacuum sealer bags marika[_1_] Preserving 2 06-07-2009 07:21 PM
Vacuum sealer bags GoodCook Preserving 1 05-07-2009 05:04 PM
Vacuum sealer bags Big Daddy's House Preserving 0 05-07-2009 04:48 PM
LV 2008 New bags, LV Damier bags, LV Epi bags, LV Mahina Bags, LVMonogram bags,LV Monogram purses, LV Denim bags,LV Mini Lin bags,LVMulticolore bags,LV Vernis bags. [email protected] General Cooking 0 29-03-2008 10:07 AM
Walmart Vacuum Sealer Bags Stan (the Man) Barbecue 23 11-11-2005 09:16 PM