Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Beef Sklaughter and Rigor Mortis

at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
through rigor mortis?

Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
cuttings?

-sw (still looking for that beef slaughter class)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
> through rigor mortis?
>
> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
> cuttings?

Good question. I can't imagine pacers letting carcasses hang around very
long. Growing up, we would kill, butcher, wrap, and freeze a steer all
within two hours. Some cuts were allowed to age, but most were put into the
deep freeze.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
> through rigor mortis?
>
> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
> cuttings?
>
> -sw (still looking for that beef slaughter class)

We had a discussion about slaughtering one time on the emu list and beef
practices were mentioned. Most people on that list did do home
slaughtering.

From what I recall, rigor mortis has to totally resolve before they
start cutting.

I double checked this with a butcher and he confirmed it.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
> > through rigor mortis?
> >
> > Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
> > sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
> > cuttings?

> Good question. I can't imagine pacers letting carcasses hang around very
> long. Growing up, we would kill, butcher, wrap, and freeze a steer all
> within two hours. Some cuts were allowed to age, but most were put into the
> deep freeze.

We also always cut, wrap and freeze meat (deer, ducks, chickens, emus,
etc.) sometimes before the carcass is even totally cooled. Still warm
from body heat when it goes into the freezer (or in the case of holiday
birds into the oven).

But, this is not standard butchering practice in the beef industry.

Not sure about pork.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
>> through rigor mortis?
>>
>> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
>> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
>> cuttings?

> Good question. I can't imagine pacers letting carcasses hang around very
> long. Growing up, we would kill, butcher, wrap, and freeze a steer all
> within two hours. Some cuts were allowed to age, but most were put into
> the deep freeze.

growing up we were lucky enough to have a walk in where we hung the beef up
for a few weeks before butchering. I just found this interesting tid bit:

"Immediately after slaughter, many changes take place in muscle that convert
muscle to meat. One of the changes is the contraction and stiffening of
muscle known as rigor mortis. Muscle is very tender at the time of
slaughter. However, as rigor mortis begins, muscle becomes progressively
less tender until rigor mortis is complete. In the case of beef, 6 to 12
hours are required for the completion of rigor mortis, whereas in the case
of pork, only 1 to 6 hours are required.
The carcass is chilled immediately after slaughter to prevent spoilage. If
the carcass is chilled too rapidly, the result is "cold shortening" and
subsequent toughness. Cold shortening occurs when the muscle is chilled to
less than 60°F before the completion of rigor mortis. If the carcass is
frozen before completion of rigor mortis, the result is "thaw rigor" and
subsequently extremely tough meat. Under normal chilling conditions, it
appears that unprotected carcasses with less than 0.50 inch of fat over the
rib eye probably will have some reduced tenderness because of cold
shortening. Aging a carcass affected by cold shortening or thaw rigor will
not alleviate the detrimental effects on tenderness caused by these two
conditions. To ensure more tender meat, home slaughtered animals and wild
game should be protected from very rapid cooling during the first 6-12 hours
after death."

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0856.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wallace wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
>>> through rigor mortis?
>>>
>>> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
>>> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
>>> cuttings?

>> Good question. I can't imagine pacers letting carcasses hang around
>> very long. Growing up, we would kill, butcher, wrap, and freeze a
>> steer all within two hours. Some cuts were allowed to age, but most
>> were put into the deep freeze.

> growing up we were lucky enough to have a walk in where we hung the
> beef up for a few weeks before butchering. I just found this
> interesting tid bit:
> "Immediately after slaughter, many changes take place in muscle that
> convert muscle to meat. One of the changes is the contraction and
> stiffening of muscle known as rigor mortis. Muscle is very tender at
> the time of slaughter. However, as rigor mortis begins, muscle
> becomes progressively less tender until rigor mortis is complete. In
> the case of beef, 6 to 12 hours are required for the completion of
> rigor mortis, whereas in the case of pork, only 1 to 6 hours are
> required. The carcass is chilled immediately after slaughter to prevent
> spoilage. If the carcass is chilled too rapidly, the result is "cold
> shortening" and subsequent toughness. Cold shortening occurs when the
> muscle is chilled to less than 60°F before the completion of rigor
> mortis. If the carcass is frozen before completion of rigor mortis,
> the result is "thaw rigor" and subsequently extremely tough meat.
> Under normal chilling conditions, it appears that unprotected
> carcasses with less than 0.50 inch of fat over the rib eye probably
> will have some reduced tenderness because of cold shortening. Aging a
> carcass affected by cold shortening or thaw rigor will not alleviate
> the detrimental effects on tenderness caused by these two conditions.
> To ensure more tender meat, home slaughtered animals and wild game
> should be protected from very rapid cooling during the first 6-12
> hours after death."

Never seemed to be an issue for us.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> > To ensure more tender meat, home slaughtered animals and wild game
> > should be protected from very rapid cooling during the first 6-12
> > hours after death."

> Never seemed to be an issue for us.

Same here. It went straight from the slaughter area into the freezer...
But, I've never butchered a cow either. ;-) Largest animals were deer
and emu.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
>> through rigor mortis?
>>
>> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
>> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
>> cuttings?
>>
>> -sw (still looking for that beef slaughter class)

> We had a discussion about slaughtering one time on the emu list and beef
> practices were mentioned. Most people on that list did do home
> slaughtering.
>
> From what I recall, rigor mortis has to totally resolve before they
> start cutting.
>
> I double checked this with a butcher and he confirmed it.

Rigor is a temporary condition. IIRC, resolved means rigor has set in, and
then released. The state of rigor is one way to make a quick assessment of
time of death since the time it takes to set in and then relax is very
predictable.

MartyB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mariotius Stangbeltzner, Esq. MD., D.O., Ph,D,, FACS, MBA, DVM, P.A.,
Inc. wrote:
> > wrote in message
> news >
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
>>> through rigor mortis?
>>>
>>> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
>>> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
>>> cuttings?
>>>
>>> -sw (still looking for that beef slaughter class)
>>>

>> We had a discussion about slaughtering one time on the emu list and beef
>> practices were mentioned. Most people on that list did do home
>> slaughtering.
>>
>> From what I recall, rigor mortis has to totally resolve before they
>> start cutting.
>>
>> I double checked this with a butcher and he confirmed it.
>>

> Rigor is a temporary condition. IIRC, resolved means rigor has set in, and
> then released. The state of rigor is one way to make a quick assessment of
> time of death since the time it takes to set in and then relax is very
> predictable.
>
> MartyB

So you watch CSI. Good for you.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Inc." > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
> >> through rigor mortis?
> >>
> >> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
> >> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
> >> cuttings?
> >>
> >> -sw (still looking for that beef slaughter class)

> > We had a discussion about slaughtering one time on the emu list and beef
> > practices were mentioned. Most people on that list did do home
> > slaughtering.
> >
> > From what I recall, rigor mortis has to totally resolve before they
> > start cutting.
> >
> > I double checked this with a butcher and he confirmed it.

> Rigor is a temporary condition. IIRC, resolved means rigor has set in, and
> then released. The state of rigor is one way to make a quick assessment of
> time of death since the time it takes to set in and then relax is very
> predictable.
>
> MartyB

Gee, ya think? <g>
I'd never have guessed!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Larry > wrote:

> Mariotius Stangbeltzner, Esq. MD., D.O., Ph,D,, FACS, MBA, DVM, P.A.,
> Inc. wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > news > >
> >> In >,

> >> We had a discussion about slaughtering one time on the emu list and beef
> >> practices were mentioned. Most people on that list did do home
> >> slaughtering.
> >>
> >> From what I recall, rigor mortis has to totally resolve before they
> >> start cutting.
> >>
> >> I double checked this with a butcher and he confirmed it.
> >>

> > Rigor is a temporary condition. IIRC, resolved means rigor has set in, and
> > then released. The state of rigor is one way to make a quick assessment of
> > time of death since the time it takes to set in and then relax is very
> > predictable.
> >
> > MartyB
> >

> So you watch CSI. Good for you.

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:09:59 -0400, Sunny wrote:

> Cold shortening is caused by the release of stored calcium ions from
> the sarcoplasmic reticulum of muscle fibers in response to the cold
> stimulus. The calcium ions trigger powerful muscle contraction aided
> by ATP molecules. To prevent cold shortening, a process known as
> electrical stimulation is carried out, especially in beef carcass,
> immediately after slaughter and skinning. In this process, the carcass
> is stimulated with alternating current, causing it to contract and
> relax, which depletes the ATP reserve from the carcass and prevents
> cold shortening[citation needed].

Hmm. I've never seen that mentioned or shown in the clips I've
seen. I'm almost sorry I asked ;-)

But it sounds the safest and most hygienic rather than let it sit
and slowly chill inside the danger zone.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:09:59 -0400, Sunny wrote:
>
> > Cold shortening is caused by the release of stored calcium ions from
> > the sarcoplasmic reticulum of muscle fibers in response to the cold
> > stimulus. The calcium ions trigger powerful muscle contraction aided
> > by ATP molecules. To prevent cold shortening, a process known as
> > electrical stimulation is carried out, especially in beef carcass,
> > immediately after slaughter and skinning. In this process, the carcass
> > is stimulated with alternating current, causing it to contract and
> > relax, which depletes the ATP reserve from the carcass and prevents
> > cold shortening[citation needed].

> Hmm. I've never seen that mentioned or shown in the clips I've
> seen. I'm almost sorry I asked ;-)
>
> But it sounds the safest and most hygienic rather than let it sit
> and slowly chill inside the danger zone.
>

> -sw

It does make a lot of sense!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:09:59 -0400, Sunny wrote:
>
>> Cold shortening is caused by the release of stored calcium ions from
>> the sarcoplasmic reticulum of muscle fibers in response to the cold
>> stimulus. The calcium ions trigger powerful muscle contraction aided
>> by ATP molecules. To prevent cold shortening, a process known as
>> electrical stimulation is carried out, especially in beef carcass,
>> immediately after slaughter and skinning. In this process, the carcass
>> is stimulated with alternating current, causing it to contract and
>> relax, which depletes the ATP reserve from the carcass and prevents
>> cold shortening[citation needed].

> Hmm. I've never seen that mentioned or shown in the clips I've
> seen. I'm almost sorry I asked ;-)
>
> But it sounds the safest and most hygienic rather than let it sit
> and slowly chill inside the danger zone.

well, the outside surfaces of the carcass will get chilled quickly. The
inside will take longer, but there is little danger of bacteria inside.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:09:59 -0400, Sunny wrote:
>
>> Cold shortening is caused by the release of stored calcium ions from
>> the sarcoplasmic reticulum of muscle fibers in response to the cold
>> stimulus. The calcium ions trigger powerful muscle contraction aided
>> by ATP molecules. To prevent cold shortening, a process known as
>> electrical stimulation is carried out, especially in beef carcass,
>> immediately after slaughter and skinning. In this process, the carcass
>> is stimulated with alternating current, causing it to contract and
>> relax, which depletes the ATP reserve from the carcass and prevents
>> cold shortening[citation needed].

> Hmm. I've never seen that mentioned or shown in the clips I've
> seen. I'm almost sorry I asked ;-)
>
> But it sounds the safest and most hygienic rather than let it sit
> and slowly chill inside the danger zone.

You seem to have a problem with putrefaction, Mister!

It's good eats... cuts like buttah.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:09:59 -0400, Sunny wrote:
>
>> Cold shortening is caused by the release of stored calcium ions
>> from
>> the sarcoplasmic reticulum of muscle fibers in response to the
>> cold
>> stimulus. The calcium ions trigger powerful muscle contraction
>> aided
>> by ATP molecules. To prevent cold shortening, a process known
>> as
>> electrical stimulation is carried out, especially in beef
>> carcass,
>> immediately after slaughter and skinning. In this process, the
>> carcass
>> is stimulated with alternating current, causing it to contract
>> and
>> relax, which depletes the ATP reserve from the carcass and
>> prevents
>> cold shortening[citation needed].

> Hmm. I've never seen that mentioned or shown in the clips I've
> seen. I'm almost sorry I asked ;-)
>
> But it sounds the safest and most hygienic rather than let it
> sit
> and slowly chill inside the danger zone.

I wonder if undertakers do that with Grandma as well. It makes
sense that a wire to the ear and another to a toe could relieve
rigor mortis and the work involved in making her "look natural."
Anyone know?

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:27:15 -0400, TFM® wrote:

> You seem to have a problem with putrefaction, Mister!
>
> It's good eats... cuts like buttah.

Then go and eat at Andy's house.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

exactly my experience, beef, pork, chicken rabbits all killed and done
quickly, Lee
"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
>> through rigor mortis?
>>
>> Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
>> sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
>> cuttings?

> Good question. I can't imagine pacers letting carcasses hang around very
> long. Growing up, we would kill, butcher, wrap, and freeze a steer all
> within two hours. Some cuts were allowed to age, but most were put into
> the deep freeze.
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

never noticed this as a kid, and don't notice with sister's rabits and
chickens now, Lee