Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoking salmon

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
> for the smoke this weekend.
> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>> for the smoke this weekend.
>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
>>

> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.
>
> Kent

I might be missing something here. Where did he mention that he wanted
"cold smoked salmon"????? I don't believe that he did. Kent, have you been
eating the food that you brined in your garage again? It really does effect
your brain, you know. You seem to miss the point any and every time that
someone mentions smoking any kind of fish. You always bring up your "cold
smoked ***" (whatever). Do you brine your cold smoked fish in your garage,
too?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>
>>This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>>for the smoke this weekend.
>>http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
>>

> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>>
>>>This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>>>for the smoke this weekend.
>>>http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
>>>

>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
>> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
>> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
>> do.

> Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>
> --
> Mort

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> "Mort" > wrote in message
>
>>Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>

> For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Obviously he didn't mean that, by virtue of the cooking method.

Jeez.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:27:52 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Mort" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:

>>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
>>> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
>>> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
>>> do.

>> Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>
>> --
>> Mort
>>

>For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".
>
>Kent

Not for me, Kent. I plank salmon whenever I grill it, and while that
isn't smoked, it's got a nice smoky edge to it..

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:59:53 -0400, Kelvin wrote:

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>>> for the smoke this weekend.
>>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
>>>

>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
>> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
>> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> I might be missing something here.

You're not. It's just Kent. Most of us only need to read the first
sentence and then look at the poster.

If he did say anything intelligent, none of the regulars would know.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:58:40 -0700, Mort wrote:

> Kent wrote:
>
>> "Mort" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>>

>> For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".
>>

> Obviously he didn't mean that, by virtue of the cooking method.

You have had virtually unlimited patience and positive comments with
anybody who posts upon subjects that attract your qualified
attention. And you persist for as long as the useful discussion
continues. I commend that.

I usually quit before that and stick to my limited hard facts. Many
of us do. Don't let Kent get you down and don't disappear without
emailing a few of us after you land that job and get too busy.

-sw

-sw

I appreciate that and have gleaned many unwritten opinions
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:08:18 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:27:52 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>>> Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>>

>>For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

> Not for me, Kent. I plank salmon whenever I grill it, and while that
> isn't smoked, it's got a nice smoky edge to it..

Kent is one of a kind. His opinions are *always* 180 from the rest
of civilization. He thrives on making life harder for himself and
the people around him.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:27:52 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>>> Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mort
>>>

>>For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".
>>
>>Kent
>>

> Not for me, Kent. I plank salmon whenever I grill it, and while that
> isn't smoked, it's got a nice smoky edge to it..
>

> Desideria

With due respect, you're describing something that occurs in the woods when
you have your levis and cowboy hat on and you're drinking a Bud. It ends up
smokey, and overcooked, if not fried. It isn't smoked salmon to most of us.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>> for the smoke this weekend.
>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
>>

> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.
>
> Kent

That's what I'm trying to do. Temp should be set about 200F.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in
:

> "Mort" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:

>>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers
>>> don't smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and
>>> smoked. There's nothing wrong with that. You just have to define
>>> what you're trying to do.

>> Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>
>> --
>> Mort
>>

> For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".
>
> Kent

I consider me one of the most and please don't try to speak for me...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>>> for the smoke this weekend.
>>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
>>>

>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
>> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
>> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
>> do.
>>
>> Kent

> That's what I'm trying to do. Temp should be set about 200F.

That's about what you get from the Luhrs Jensen, right around 200F depending
on the amabient temp. I tried unsuccessfully to create a "cold smoke" with a
salmon the last time I used it. The big or little Chief is perfect for
what's being described above. Are you using a Luhr Jensen Chief? I've had
one for years. I smoked a garage brined turkey at 200F, as described in
their recipe book, and baked it following in the oven. The smoking and the
roasting are separated. Their brine recipe includes 1/2 cup salt per quart
of brine. That's the highest I've ever seen.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> You have had virtually unlimited patience and positive comments with
> anybody who posts upon subjects that attract your qualified
> attention. And you persist for as long as the useful discussion
> continues. I commend that.
>
> I usually quit before that and stick to my limited hard facts. Many
> of us do. Don't let Kent get you down and don't disappear without
> emailing a few of us after you land that job and get too busy.

Got the offer today, actually.

I'm starting to think Sqwertz is Polish for "Psychic".

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/19/2010 6:57 PM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>>>

>>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
>>> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
>>> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
>>> do.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> That's what I'm trying to do. Temp should be set about 200F.
>>

> That's about what you get from the Luhrs Jensen, right around 200F depending
> on the amabient temp. I tried unsuccessfully to create a "cold smoke" with a
> salmon the last time I used it. The big or little Chief is perfect for
> what's being described above. Are you using a Luhr Jensen Chief? I've had
> one for years. I smoked a garage brined turkey at 200F, as described in
> their recipe book, and baked it following in the oven. The smoking and the
> roasting are separated. Their brine recipe includes 1/2 cup salt per quart
> of brine. That's the highest I've ever seen.
>
> Kent

I'm using a smoking tex, same sort of thing I think. The recipe I 'm
going with splits the difference on time. 6 hours seems a bit long, but
I'll check it at 3 and adjust up if need be. I have fairly thin filets,
so I don't want them overdone. And yes that sounds like a lot of salt,
too much for my tastes.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cleatarrior wrote:

> I'm using a smoking tex, same sort of thing I think. The recipe I 'm
> going with splits the difference on time. 6 hours seems a bit long, but
> I'll check it at 3 and adjust up if need be. I have fairly thin filets,
> so I don't want them overdone. And yes that sounds like a lot of salt,
> too much for my tastes.

How's the low temperature stability on that smokin tex? Can you keep
a stable temp in the 160-180 F range?

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/20/2010 1:03 PM, Mort wrote:
> Cleatarrior wrote:
>
>> I'm using a smoking tex, same sort of thing I think. The recipe I 'm
>> going with splits the difference on time. 6 hours seems a bit long,
>> but I'll check it at 3 and adjust up if need be. I have fairly thin
>> filets, so I don't want them overdone. And yes that sounds like a lot
>> of salt, too much for my tastes.

> How's the low temperature stability on that smokin tex? Can you keep
> a stable temp in the 160-180 F range?

I haven't tried that low, but it's rated for it. Got to make some jerky
next!

From 200-250 it's been real accurate.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 3/20/2010 1:03 PM, Mort wrote:
> > Cleatarrior wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using a smoking tex, same sort of thing I think. The recipe I 'm
> >> going with splits the difference on time. 6 hours seems a bit long,
> >> but I'll check it at 3 and adjust up if need be. I have fairly thin
> >> filets, so I don't want them overdone. And yes that sounds like a lot
> >> of salt, too much for my tastes.

> > How's the low temperature stability on that smokin tex? Can you keep
> > a stable temp in the 160-180 F range?
> >

> I haven't tried that low, but it's rated for it. Got to make some jerky
> next!
>
> From 200-250 it's been real accurate.

What temp do you make jerky at? I'd like to make some out of some of
the older meat in the freezer but I no longer have a dehydrator. I also
wonder about making dried beef sausage.

Guess I can google it too and check the Kutas book. <g>

I'm still learning how to control the temp in my horizontal pit and am
considering getting a web cam to monitor it from indoors.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>

>>On 3/20/2010 1:03 PM, Mort wrote:
>>>How's the low temperature stability on that smokin tex? Can you keep
>>>a stable temp in the 160-180 F range?
>>>

>>I haven't tried that low, but it's rated for it. Got to make some jerky
>>next!
>>
>> From 200-250 it's been real accurate.

> What temp do you make jerky at? I'd like to make some out of some of
> the older meat in the freezer but I no longer have a dehydrator. I also
> wonder about making dried beef sausage.

What recipe for dried beef sausage uses a smoker?

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
>>> smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
>>> nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
>>> do.
>>>

>> Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?
>>
>> --
>> Mort
>>

> For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".
>
> Kent

Not me. Are you trolling?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >>I haven't tried that low, but it's rated for it. Got to make some jerky
> >>next!
> >>
> >> From 200-250 it's been real accurate.

> > What temp do you make jerky at? I'd like to make some out of some of
> > the older meat in the freezer but I no longer have a dehydrator. I also
> > wonder about making dried beef sausage.

> What recipe for dried beef sausage uses a smoker?

That is why I was asking. :-) I've never tried it. I know that when I
did smoke the beef sausage I made, it partially dried it and it was
delicious:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> Mort > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > What recipe for dried beef sausage uses a smoker?

> That is why I was asking. :-) []

Google on: kosher Andouille sausage

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
> > On 3/20/2010 1:03 PM, Mort wrote:
> > > Cleatarrior wrote:

.. . .

> I'm still learning how to control the temp in my horizontal pit and am
> considering getting a web cam to monitor it from indoors.
> --
> Peace! Om

Keep at it Om. I about dispared of ever gaining control of mine and was
on the verge of setting it out for the scavengers when suddenly it began
to behave. Now I can't imagine what all of the fuss was about. A lot of
my problem was expecting the thing to respond much more quickly then
it was capable of doing. So, I was constantly messing with the draft
controls. It took me quite awhile just to learn to leave the chimney
damper open and just adjust the firebox draft. Like TFM® says, fire
control is the thing. Learn to make it stay put somewhere and then just
cook your meat until it is done. All this discussion about 'how long' and
'what temp' just wears me out. Get a fire hot enough to cook with and
not so hot as to turn your pit red and then keep it that way. With my
pit, I have to move meat around once or twice during a cook to even
out the cooking, but I don't even try to change the temperature of the
pit. Lump runs hotter then briquettes and burns a little quicker. Just
keep an eye on the meat. (Check it every hour or so, not every fifteen
minutes.) I don't mess with the fuel until the temp drops ten degrees
or so, then I dump in about a chimney full of cold fuel and go away.

--
Brick (Nole *******o Carborundum)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > Mort > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > > What recipe for dried beef sausage uses a smoker?

> > That is why I was asking. :-) []

> Google on: kosher Andouille sausage

ok.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 21-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> . . .
>
> > I'm still learning how to control the temp in my horizontal pit and am
> > considering getting a web cam to monitor it from indoors.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Keep at it Om. I about dispared of ever gaining control of mine and was
> on the verge of setting it out for the scavengers when suddenly it began
> to behave. Now I can't imagine what all of the fuss was about. A lot of
> my problem was expecting the thing to respond much more quickly then
> it was capable of doing. So, I was constantly messing with the draft
> controls. It took me quite awhile just to learn to leave the chimney
> damper open and just adjust the firebox draft. Like TFM® says, fire
> control is the thing. Learn to make it stay put somewhere and then just
> cook your meat until it is done. All this discussion about 'how long' and
> 'what temp' just wears me out. Get a fire hot enough to cook with and
> not so hot as to turn your pit red and then keep it that way. With my
> pit, I have to move meat around once or twice during a cook to even
> out the cooking, but I don't even try to change the temperature of the
> pit. Lump runs hotter then briquettes and burns a little quicker. Just
> keep an eye on the meat. (Check it every hour or so, not every fifteen
> minutes.) I don't mess with the fuel until the temp drops ten degrees
> or so, then I dump in about a chimney full of cold fuel and go away.

I've been using wood, and yes, it seems that the damper control is the
key. That and large enough splits to make large enough coals to keep a
steady fire for a longer length of time so you don't have to add more
wood and re-start the fire.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoking salmon - epic fail

On 3/18/2010 1:56 PM, Cleatarrior wrote:
> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
> for the smoke this weekend.
>

> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

Possibly the saltiest driest fish-leather yet :-(

Some corrections for next time - 4:1 salt:sugar for the brine was too
heavy, I'll go 1 cup brown sugar to 1/8th cup kosher salt. I had one
long filet, so no need for more.

Brine time - I let mine go overnight, that was too much, maybe get up
early AM next go.

Smoking time - 3.5 hrs was too much, but the 1 hr I saw elsewhere seems
not enough, split the difference.

Smoke - apple chips did great flavor, but cut back from two handfuls to one.

I may glaze with honey toward the end of the smoke too.

Now the question is, anyone else out there have good luck approximating
"cold-smoked" salmon, or is it time to build a smoking shed?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
> On 3/18/2010 1:56 PM, Cleatarrior wrote:
>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>> for the smoke this weekend.
>>

>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

> Possibly the saltiest driest fish-leather yet :-(
>
> Some corrections for next time - 4:1 salt:sugar for the brine was too
> heavy, I'll go 1 cup brown sugar to 1/8th cup kosher salt. I had one long
> filet, so no need for more.
>
> Brine time - I let mine go overnight, that was too much, maybe get up
> early AM next go.
>
> Smoking time - 3.5 hrs was too much, but the 1 hr I saw elsewhere seems
> not enough, split the difference.
>
> Smoke - apple chips did great flavor, but cut back from two handfuls to
> one.
>
> I may glaze with honey toward the end of the smoke too.
>
> Now the question is, anyone else out there have good luck approximating
> "cold-smoked" salmon, or is it time to build a smoking shed?

When I made smoked salmon I did not brine, but started with gravlax, as
below, and then smoked that in the lowest temperature I could get the Luhr
Jensen Little Chief to go. This failed. I was recently told you have to do
the smoking part basically at ambient temperature. In the old daze this
happened somewhat by accident, as the fire was only to dry the salmon out
after curing with salt. If you can get good fresh wild salmon, gravlax is a
very nice dish. I make gravlax as below now and then.

16 ounces norwegian salmon fillets (of optimum quality)
2 tablespoons salt (preferably sea salt)
8 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns, slightly crushed in a mortar
1/2 bunch fresh dill, the stems

Remove all bones with a pair of tweezers, but leave the skin on and rinse
Mash the dill in a mortar with a little of the salt.
Mix with the rest of the salt, the sugar and pepper.
Cover the flesh side of the fillets with the mixture, and place the fillets
flesh-to-flesh in a tray made of glass or stainless steel.
Cover with plastic foil and put a heavy weight on top (e. g. the mortar or a
brick).
Keep refrigerated for 72 hours, turning the fillets every 12 hours.
Do not discard the liquid that forms.
Scrape off the spices; then discard the liquid.
The salmon will keep refrigerated for about a week.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/23/2010 2:33 PM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 3/18/2010 1:56 PM, Cleatarrior wrote:
>>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>>> for the smoke this weekend.
>>>

>>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

>> Possibly the saltiest driest fish-leather yet :-(
>>
>> Some corrections for next time - 4:1 salt:sugar for the brine was too
>> heavy, I'll go 1 cup brown sugar to 1/8th cup kosher salt. I had one long
>> filet, so no need for more.
>>
>> Brine time - I let mine go overnight, that was too much, maybe get up
>> early AM next go.
>>
>> Smoking time - 3.5 hrs was too much, but the 1 hr I saw elsewhere seems
>> not enough, split the difference.
>>
>> Smoke - apple chips did great flavor, but cut back from two handfuls to
>> one.
>>
>> I may glaze with honey toward the end of the smoke too.
>>
>> Now the question is, anyone else out there have good luck approximating
>> "cold-smoked" salmon, or is it time to build a smoking shed?
>>

> When I made smoked salmon I did not brine, but started with gravlax, as
> below, and then smoked that in the lowest temperature I could get the Luhr
> Jensen Little Chief to go. This failed. I was recently told you have to do
> the smoking part basically at ambient temperature. In the old daze this
> happened somewhat by accident, as the fire was only to dry the salmon out
> after curing with salt. If you can get good fresh wild salmon, gravlax is a
> very nice dish. I make gravlax as below now and then.
>
> 16 ounces norwegian salmon fillets (of optimum quality)
> 2 tablespoons salt (preferably sea salt)
> 8 teaspoons sugar
> 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns, slightly crushed in a mortar
> 1/2 bunch fresh dill, the stems
>
> Remove all bones with a pair of tweezers, but leave the skin on and rinse
> Mash the dill in a mortar with a little of the salt.
> Mix with the rest of the salt, the sugar and pepper.
> Cover the flesh side of the fillets with the mixture, and place the fillets
> flesh-to-flesh in a tray made of glass or stainless steel.
> Cover with plastic foil and put a heavy weight on top (e. g. the mortar or a
> brick).
> Keep refrigerated for 72 hours, turning the fillets every 12 hours.
> Do not discard the liquid that forms.
> Scrape off the spices; then discard the liquid.
> The salmon will keep refrigerated for about a week.
>
> Kent

Thanks for the recipe, and the tip on the liquid smoke, cheating yes,
but so what?

I think this whole exercise explains nicely why cedar or alder planked
salmon works so well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
> On 3/18/2010 1:56 PM, Cleatarrior wrote:
>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>> for the smoke this weekend.
>>

>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

> Possibly the saltiest driest fish-leather yet :-(
>
> Some corrections for next time - 4:1 salt:sugar for the brine was too
> heavy, I'll go 1 cup brown sugar to 1/8th cup kosher salt. I had one long
> filet, so no need for more.
>
> Brine time - I let mine go overnight, that was too much, maybe get up
> early AM next go.
>
> Smoking time - 3.5 hrs was too much, but the 1 hr I saw elsewhere seems
> not enough, split the difference.
>
> Smoke - apple chips did great flavor, but cut back from two handfuls to
> one.
>
> I may glaze with honey toward the end of the smoke too.
>
> Now the question is, anyone else out there have good luck approximating
> "cold-smoked" salmon, or is it time to build a smoking shed?

Same same on the sugar/salt combo, and only overnight.

It's all good that way...

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote

Why the **** are you still posting here?

You're a ****ing idiot.

STFU already,
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/23/2010 4:31 PM, TFM® wrote:

> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>> On 3/18/2010 1:56 PM, Cleatarrior wrote:
>>> This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
>>> for the smoke this weekend.
>>>

>>> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

>> Possibly the saltiest driest fish-leather yet :-(
>>
>> Some corrections for next time - 4:1 salt:sugar for the brine was too
>> heavy, I'll go 1 cup brown sugar to 1/8th cup kosher salt. I had one
>> long filet, so no need for more.
>>
>> Brine time - I let mine go overnight, that was too much, maybe get up
>> early AM next go.
>>
>> Smoking time - 3.5 hrs was too much, but the 1 hr I saw elsewhere
>> seems not enough, split the difference.
>>
>> Smoke - apple chips did great flavor, but cut back from two handfuls
>> to one.
>>
>> I may glaze with honey toward the end of the smoke too.
>>
>> Now the question is, anyone else out there have good luck
>> approximating "cold-smoked" salmon, or is it time to build a smoking
>> shed?

> Same same on the sugar/salt combo, and only overnight.
>
> It's all good that way...
>

> TFM®

Thanx, a more delicate smoking than I'm used to.

Smoking Salmon in a WSM Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 28 15-12-2011 12:46 AM
Smoking Salmon in a WSM SmokeyRay Barbecue 0 20-05-2011 08:33 PM
Smoking Salmon tmfast Barbecue 16 19-07-2006 12:26 AM
Smoking salmon Stephen Russell Barbecue 3 22-06-2004 06:46 AM