Old 18-03-2010, 07:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoking salmon

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

Old 18-03-2010, 11:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message
This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Kent

Old 18-03-2010, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" wrote in message

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message
This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Kent

I might be missing something here. Where did he mention that he wanted
"cold smoked salmon"????? I don't believe that he did. Kent, have you been
eating the food that you brined in your garage again? It really does effect
your brain, you know. You seem to miss the point any and every time that
someone mentions smoking any kind of fish. You always bring up your "cold
smoked ***" (whatever). Do you brine your cold smoked fish in your garage,
too?

Old 19-03-2010, 12:23 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

--
Mort
Old 19-03-2010, 01:27 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" wrote in message
Kent wrote:

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

--
Mort

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Kent

Old 19-03-2010, 01:58 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

"Mort" wrote in message

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Obviously he didn't mean that, by virtue of the cooking method.

Jeez.

--
Mort
Old 19-03-2010, 02:08 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:27:52 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

"Mort" wrote in message
Kent wrote:

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

--
Mort

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Kent

Not for me, Kent. I plank salmon whenever I grill it, and while that
isn't smoked, it's got a nice smoky edge to it..

Desideria
Old 19-03-2010, 04:19 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:59:53 -0400, Kelvin wrote:

"Kent" wrote in message

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message
This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Kent

I might be missing something here.

You're not. It's just Kent. Most of us only need to read the first
sentence and then look at the poster.

If he did say anything intelligent, none of the regulars would know.

-sw
Old 19-03-2010, 04:30 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:58:40 -0700, Mort wrote:

Kent wrote:

"Mort" wrote in message

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Obviously he didn't mean that, by virtue of the cooking method.

You have had virtually unlimited patience and positive comments with
anybody who posts upon subjects that attract your qualified
attention. And you persist for as long as the useful discussion
continues. I commend that.

I usually quit before that and stick to my limited hard facts. Many
of us do. Don't let Kent get you down and don't disappear without
emailing a few of us after you land that job and get too busy.

-sw

-sw

I appreciate that and have gleaned many unwritten opinions
Old 19-03-2010, 04:32 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" wrote in message
Kent wrote:

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Not for me, Kent. I plank salmon whenever I grill it, and while that
isn't smoked, it's got a nice smoky edge to it..

Kent is one of a kind. His opinions are *always* 180 from the rest
of civilization. He thrives on making life harder for himself and
the people around him.

-sw

Old 19-03-2010, 06:48 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" wrote in message
Kent wrote:

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers
don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

--
Mort

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Kent

Not for me, Kent. I plank salmon whenever I grill it, and while that
isn't smoked, it's got a nice smoky edge to it..

Desideria

With due respect, you're describing something that occurs in the woods when
you have your levis and cowboy hat on and you're drinking a Bud. It ends up
smokey, and overcooked, if not fried. It isn't smoked salmon to most of us.

Old 19-03-2010, 04:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
"Cleatarrior" wrote in message
This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to do.

Kent

That's what I'm trying to do. Temp should be set about 200F.
Old 19-03-2010, 07:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" wrote in
:

"Mort" wrote in message
Kent wrote:

"Cleatarrior" wrote in message

This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is
heading for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers
don't smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and
smoked. There's nothing wrong with that. You just have to define
what you're trying to do.

Where did he say he wants cold smoked salmon?

--
Mort

For me, and I think for most, "smoked salmon" is "cold smoked salmon".

Kent

I consider me one of the most and please don't try to speak for me...

Old 20-03-2010, 12:57 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
"Cleatarrior" wrote in message
This is about the best step by step I've found. Some sockeye is heading
for the smoke this weekend.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

This won't give you "cold smoked salmon". The Luhrs Jensen smokers don't
smoke at a cool enough temp. The salmon gets cooked and smoked. There's
nothing wrong with that. You just have to define what you're trying to
do.

Kent

That's what I'm trying to do. Temp should be set about 200F.

That's about what you get from the Luhrs Jensen, right around 200F depending
on the amabient temp. I tried unsuccessfully to create a "cold smoke" with a
salmon the last time I used it. The big or little Chief is perfect for
what's being described above. Are you using a Luhr Jensen Chief? I've had
one for years. I smoked a garage brined turkey at 200F, as described in
their recipe book, and baked it following in the oven. The smoking and the
roasting are separated. Their brine recipe includes 1/2 cup salt per quart
of brine. That's the highest I've ever seen.

Kent

Old 20-03-2010, 03:02 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

You have had virtually unlimited patience and positive comments with
anybody who posts upon subjects that attract your qualified
attention. And you persist for as long as the useful discussion
continues. I commend that.

I usually quit before that and stick to my limited hard facts. Many
of us do. Don't let Kent get you down and don't disappear without
emailing a few of us after you land that job and get too busy.

Got the offer today, actually.

I'm starting to think Sqwertz is Polish for "Psychic".

--
Mort

Smoking Salmon in a WSM Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 28 14-12-2011 11:46 PM
Smoking Salmon in a WSM SmokeyRay Barbecue 0 20-05-2011 08:33 PM
Smoking Salmon tmfast Barbecue 16 19-07-2006 12:26 AM
Smoking salmon Stephen Russell Barbecue 3 22-06-2004 06:46 AM