Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Experiment

Marty's suggestion has been implemented in a modest fashion. This
afternoon, a friend and I placed two slices of white bread into
separate baggies and also 2 servings of shredded cheese into
another couple of bags. After labeling, one of the bread and one
of the cheese baggies was purged with nitrogen gas and sealed.
The others were simply sealed with ambient air inside. They are
in a corner, on the countertop, and I'll report on how fast the
contents turn green.

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Mar-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Nonny said:
> > Marty's suggestion has been implemented in a modest fashion. This
> > afternoon, a friend and I placed two slices of white bread into
> > separate baggies and also 2 servings of shredded cheese into
> > another couple of bags. After labeling, one of the bread and one
> > of the cheese baggies was purged with nitrogen gas and sealed.
> > The others were simply sealed with ambient air inside. They are
> > in a corner, on the countertop, and I'll report on how fast the
> > contents turn green.

> OK, Devil's Advocate here...
>
> Wouldn't it be cheaper and simpler to just buy some of those green bags
> that
> are supposed to preserve foods longer? Or do they only work on produce?
>
> MartyB

I have some of those green bags and they're not doing a thing for me.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>> Marty's suggestion has been implemented in a modest fashion.
>> This
>> afternoon, a friend and I placed two slices of white bread into
>> separate baggies and also 2 servings of shredded cheese into
>> another couple of bags. After labeling, one of the bread and
>> one
>> of the cheese baggies was purged with nitrogen gas and sealed.
>> The others were simply sealed with ambient air inside. They
>> are
>> in a corner, on the countertop, and I'll report on how fast the
>> contents turn green.

> OK, Devil's Advocate here...
>
> Wouldn't it be cheaper and simpler to just buy some of those
> green bags that
> are supposed to preserve foods longer? Or do they only work on
> produce?
>
> MartyB

I'm of the impression that they have a coating that absorbs
ethylene gas. It's the gas given off by that "one rotten apple"
that spoils a barrel, so to speak. What I'm attempting to do is
create a pretty good anaerobic environment that will discourage
the growth of molds. I think that's what a vacuum does, also.
We'll see.

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,
but when God talks to us,
we're schizophrenic.
What's the deal?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote
> I have some of those green bags and they're not doing a thing for me.

Maybe you are using them wrong. "I don't know how she got pregnant, I used
a baggie"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Brick" > wrote
>> I have some of those green bags and they're not doing a thing
>> for me.

> Maybe you are using them wrong. "I don't know how she got
> pregnant, I used a baggie"

Without naming names, dates or places, I heard that even Saran
Wrap will do in a pinch. Aluminum foil is a bit of a stretch,
however.

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,
but when God talks to us,
we're schizophrenic.
What's the deal?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Nonny said:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Brick" > wrote
>>> Maybe you are using them wrong. "I don't know how she got
>>> pregnant, I used a baggie"

>> Without naming names, dates or places, I heard that even Saran
>> Wrap will do in a pinch. Aluminum foil is a bit of a stretch,
>> however.

> You got aluminum foil to stretch? Damn, you could sell a lot of hats!

I'd hum the tune, but I've got a tin ear, maybe it's a wrapper's song...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > Nonny said:

> >> Without naming names, dates or places, I heard that even Saran
> >> Wrap will do in a pinch. Aluminum foil is a bit of a stretch,
> >> however.

> > You got aluminum foil to stretch? Damn, you could sell a lot of hats!

> I'd hum the tune, but I've got a tin ear, maybe it's a wrapper's song...

More like heavy metal...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> You got aluminum foil to stretch? Damn, you could sell a lot of hats!

>> I'd hum the tune, but I've got a tin ear, maybe it's a wrapper's song...

> More like heavy metal...

Lead Zeppelin foil?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> I'd hum the tune, but I've got a tin ear, maybe it's a wrapper's song...

> > More like heavy metal...

> Lead Zeppelin foil?

Pink Floyd.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> More like heavy metal...

>> Lead Zeppelin foil?

> Pink Floyd.

The way this thread is heading, we could end up with Grand FUNK!

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> More like heavy metal...

>> Lead Zeppelin foil?

> Pink Floyd.

"small furry animals"?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Cleatarrior > wrote:

>>> Lead Zeppelin foil?

>> Pink Floyd.

> The way this thread is heading, we could end up with Grand FUNK!

LOL!

No Meatloaf, please...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>More like heavy metal...

Aluminium is a metal, but "heavy" is poorly defined. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal

Sorry, just trying to keep focus.

-DS
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Lead Zeppelin foil?

> > Pink Floyd.

> The way this thread is heading, we could end up with Grand FUNK!

R.E.M.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMm-7RFsm0>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Lead Zeppelin foil?

> > Pink Floyd.

> "small furry animals"?

Flying pigs.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> Pink Floyd.

> > The way this thread is heading, we could end up with Grand FUNK!
> >

> LOL!
>
> No Meatloaf, please...

Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>>> The way this thread is heading, we could end up with Grand FUNK!
>>>

>> LOL!
>>
>> No Meatloaf, please...

> Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Brain Salad Surgery?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Pink Floyd.

>> "small furry animals"?

> Flying pigs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCKvY684WI

Q on the wing...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Omelet said:
>> In article >,
>> Cleatarrior > wrote:

>>> "small furry animals"?

>> Flying pigs.

> Raw flying pigs, best eaten while alive while listening to King Crimson.
>
> -Recipe courtesy of Ozzie Osbourne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-hZyhPyhk
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Omelet said:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> "small furry animals"?

> > Flying pigs.

> Raw flying pigs, best eaten while alive while listening to King Crimson.
>
> -Recipe courtesy of Ozzie Osbourne

Yum. Bet those would be some hot wings!

Enough for the entire crowd at Woodstock.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> LOL!
> >>
> >> No Meatloaf, please...

> > Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

> Brain Salad Surgery?

Pictures at an Exhibition...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> "small furry animals"?

> > Flying pigs.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCKvY684WI
>
> Q on the wing...

Sandoz Orange Sunshine anyone?

Cool video. ;-)

I think some of us are dating ourselves...<g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > Omelet said:

> >> Flying pigs.

> > Raw flying pigs, best eaten while alive while listening to King Crimson.
> >
> > -Recipe courtesy of Ozzie Osbourne
> >

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-hZyhPyhk

Dammit! His guitar was out of tune. ;-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

>> Brain Salad Surgery?

> Pictures at an Exhibition...

Mussorgsky!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Flying pigs.

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCKvY684WI
>>
>> Q on the wing...

> Sandoz Orange Sunshine anyone?
>
> Cool video. ;-)
>
> I think some of us are dating ourselves...<g>

Guilty as charged.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

>>> Raw flying pigs, best eaten while alive while listening to King Crimson.
>>>
>>> -Recipe courtesy of Ozzie Osbourne
>>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-hZyhPyhk

> Dammit! His guitar was out of tune. ;-(

But it was still worth it...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Brain Salad Surgery?

> > Pictures at an Exhibition...

> Mussorgsky!

I know, but ELP did a moog version of it. We had it on an 8 track tape.
<g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCKvY684WI
> >>
> >> Q on the wing...

> > Sandoz Orange Sunshine anyone?
> >
> > Cool video. ;-)
> >
> > I think some of us are dating ourselves...<g>

> Guilty as charged.

<laughs> I really did it in the last post. We sold our 8 track player
and a large collection of tapes on ebay a few years ago for $140.00.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-hZyhPyhk

> > Dammit! His guitar was out of tune. ;-(

> But it was still worth it...

Yeah, I'm just OCD since I have perfect pitch. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> Yeah, I'm just OCD since I have perfect pitch. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

You can throw a 150 mph fastball? :-)

KW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Pictures at an Exhibition...

>> Mussorgsky!

> I know, but ELP did a moog version of it. We had it on an 8 track tape.
> <g>

Memory rush! &-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Sandoz Orange Sunshine anyone?
>>>
>>> Cool video. ;-)
>>>
>>> I think some of us are dating ourselves...<g>

>> Guilty as charged.

> <laughs> I really did it in the last post. We sold our 8 track player
> and a large collection of tapes on ebay a few years ago for $140.00.

I used to have an 8 track recorder, yes they did make them!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Dammit! His guitar was out of tune. ;-(

>> But it was still worth it...

> Yeah, I'm just OCD since I have perfect pitch. :-)

Human tuning fork eh?

Useful skill.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"KW" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >
> >
> > Yeah, I'm just OCD since I have perfect pitch. :-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> You can throw a 150 mph fastball? :-)
>
> KW

<snork> I wish. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Mussorgsky!

> > I know, but ELP did a moog version of it. We had it on an 8 track tape.
> > <g>

> Memory rush! &-)

Ain't it grand? %-D
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Guilty as charged.

> > <laughs> I really did it in the last post. We sold our 8 track player
> > and a large collection of tapes on ebay a few years ago for $140.00.

> I used to have an 8 track recorder, yes they did make them!

Ooh! We never had the recorder, just the player! <jealous look>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> But it was still worth it...

> > Yeah, I'm just OCD since I have perfect pitch. :-)

> Human tuning fork eh?
>
> Useful skill.

Pretty much. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Cleatarrior said:

>>> I know, but ELP did a moog version of it. We had it on an 8 track
>>> tape. <g>

>> Memory rush! &-)

> I'm pretty sure Rush never did a version of it.
>
> "And now I'd like to introduce the band... "

;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

>>> <laughs> I really did it in the last post. We sold our 8 track player
>>> and a large collection of tapes on ebay a few years ago for $140.00.

>> I used to have an 8 track recorder, yes they did make them!

> Ooh! We never had the recorder, just the player! <jealous look>

:-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCKvY684WI
> >>
> >> Q on the wing...

> > Sandoz Orange Sunshine anyone?
> >
> > Cool video. ;-)
> >
> > I think some of us are dating ourselves...<g>

> It's cheaper than dating women, but I get tired of the smartass remarks!
>
> And yes, the Sandoz comment makes me Leary of revealing my age...

<grins> Nice Pun!
I was more of a Terence McKenna fan...
--
Peace! Om