Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket Report

I've done probably 6-8 briskets over the years. They have turned out good--just
nothing that I went "Wow!" over. Others liked them a lot, but I'm my own worst
critic.

Until this weekend.

I bought a full 12 lb. brisket on Saturday. Got it home and trimmed down a
little of the fat layer (not too much). I seasoned it with dry rub, put it in a
tray and covered it with plastic wrap. Into the refrigerator until Sunday AM.

I started my fire (hickory hardwood) in my GrillDome smoker around 5:30 AM. At
6:30 I put the brisket on--fat side down this time. I used a mix of moistened
cherry and apple chips for the smoke.

The temp started at 250 and settled in at 225 for about 6 hours. At the 6-hour
mark I had to add coals, and at that time I turned the brisket over and switched
the position of it. No basting, as the fat side was melting nicely and the meat
was moist.

At 6:00, the brisked temp was approaching 185--so I took it off, wrapped it in
foil and let it rest for 30 minutes. I then trimmed the fat, and sliced it. It
had a nice smoke ring. I then tasted it for the first time. WOW! It came out
almost fork tender--and had a really texture and taste. I've eaten my share of
brisket at BBQ joints all over, and this one was excellent!

When I BBQ, often times the smoke messes with my taste buds. When I eat it the
next day, I get a different taste. It was even better last night!

In a couple of months I'll do another one and follow my recipe. If it turns out
as good as this one, I think I have a winner!

BTW, I am going to have a brisket sandwich for lunch 8^)

Mark

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mark Filice > wrote:

> When I BBQ, often times the smoke messes with my taste buds. When I eat it
> the
> next day, I get a different taste. It was even better last night!
>
> In a couple of months I'll do another one and follow my recipe. If it turns
> out
> as good as this one, I think I have a winner!
>
> BTW, I am going to have a brisket sandwich for lunch 8^)
>
> Mark

Very nice. Thanks for posting that!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark Filice" > wrote

> When I BBQ, often times the smoke messes with my taste buds. When I eat it
> the
> next day, I get a different taste. It was even better last night!
>
> In a couple of months I'll do another one and follow my recipe. If it
> turns out
> as good as this one, I think I have a winner!

Good for you. Nothing like a great result.

I find that it takes the same labor to do two or three briskets as one so I
do that a lot and freeze them in pieces. Makes for a quick meal sometimes.

As for the tasting better the next day, it has a lot to do with the process.
Your taste buds and nose get filled with the smoke while cooking. It is
often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you take the
meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the lingering odor,
good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> It is
> often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you take the
> meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the lingering odor,
> good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

Oh man, that is so true! I shower to get the smoke out of my hair and I
toss the clothes in the laundry bag.

Makes a big difference. :-)

I also shut the smoker down by closing the baffle and covering the
chimney to kill the fire...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>

>>It is
>>often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you take the
>>meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the lingering odor,
>>good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

> Oh man, that is so true! I shower to get the smoke out of my hair and I
> toss the clothes in the laundry bag.
>
> Makes a big difference. :-)
>
> I also shut the smoker down by closing the baffle and covering the
> chimney to kill the fire...

Man. You guys have much more sensitive nerve endings than me.
Or something.

I can imagine showering. I've done it, certainly. But showering
so you can taste your food better?

Is this kind of like eating sherbet between courses to
"clear your palate"?

Befuddled.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" > wrote

> I can imagine showering. I've done it, certainly. But showering
> so you can taste your food better?
>
> Is this kind of like eating sherbet between courses to
> "clear your palate"?
>
> Befuddled.
>
> --
> Mort

Ever wonder about people working in trash dumps or smelly chemical plants?
They become immune to the odor over time. When smoking food and tending the
fire, you can become covered in the particulate and immune to that also.
Freshening up makes a difference

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> >

> >>It is
> >>often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you take the
> >>meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the lingering odor,
> >>good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

> > Oh man, that is so true! I shower to get the smoke out of my hair and I
> > toss the clothes in the laundry bag.
> >
> > Makes a big difference. :-)
> >
> > I also shut the smoker down by closing the baffle and covering the
> > chimney to kill the fire...

> Man. You guys have much more sensitive nerve endings than me.
> Or something.
>
> I can imagine showering. I've done it, certainly. But showering
> so you can taste your food better?
>
> Is this kind of like eating sherbet between courses to
> "clear your palate"?
>
> Befuddled.

Hey, it works for us. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>>

>>>It is often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you
>>>take the meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the
>>>lingering odor, good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

>> Oh man, that is so true! I shower to get the smoke out of my hair and I
>> toss the clothes in the laundry bag.
>>
>> Makes a big difference. :-)
>>
>> I also shut the smoker down by closing the baffle and covering the
>> chimney to kill the fire...

> Man. You guys have much more sensitive nerve endings than me.
> Or something.
>
> I can imagine showering. I've done it, certainly. But showering
> so you can taste your food better?
>
> Is this kind of like eating sherbet between courses to
> "clear your palate"?

I see a whole new restaurant opportunity here . . .

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:19:31 -0800, Mort wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>>
>>>It is
>>>often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you take the
>>>meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the lingering odor,
>>>good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

>> Oh man, that is so true! I shower to get the smoke out of my hair and I
>> toss the clothes in the laundry bag.
>>
>> Makes a big difference. :-)
>>
>> I also shut the smoker down by closing the baffle and covering the
>> chimney to kill the fire...

> Man. You guys have much more sensitive nerve endings than me.
> Or something.
>
> I can imagine showering. I've done it, certainly. But showering
> so you can taste your food better?

It's true. Maybe you with your smokeless enclosures automatic puck
feeders don't absorb much smoke yourself, but when you tend to a
ECBG all day, I don't even have an appetite until I don't smell like
a butt.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/9/2010 10:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Mark Filice" > wrote
>>
>> When I BBQ, often times the smoke messes with my taste buds. When I
>> eat it the
>> next day, I get a different taste. It was even better last night!
>>
>> In a couple of months I'll do another one and follow my recipe. If it
>> turns out
>> as good as this one, I think I have a winner!

> Good for you. Nothing like a great result.
>
> I find that it takes the same labor to do two or three briskets as one
> so I do that a lot and freeze them in pieces. Makes for a quick meal
> sometimes.
>
> As for the tasting better the next day, it has a lot to do with the
> process. Your taste buds and nose get filled with the smoke while
> cooking. It is often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes
> after you take the meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of
> the lingering odor, good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

I do the same things, take a shower before eating so I can 'taste' the
taste.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/10/2010 1:19 AM, Mort wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>>

>>> It is often a good idea to take a shower and change clothes after you
>>> take the meat off the smoker and let it rest. That rids you of the
>>> lingering odor, good as it can be, and you get a better taste.

>> Oh man, that is so true! I shower to get the smoke out of my hair and
>> I toss the clothes in the laundry bag.
>>
>> Makes a big difference. :-)
>>
>> I also shut the smoker down by closing the baffle and covering the
>> chimney to kill the fire...

> Man. You guys have much more sensitive nerve endings than me.
> Or something.
>
> I can imagine showering. I've done it, certainly. But showering
> so you can taste your food better?
>
> Is this kind of like eating sherbet between courses to
> "clear your palate"?
>
> Befuddled.

It works for me, the smoke in my nose, off my face and clothes I imagine
causes the senses for smoke flavor in particular to over load and when
you eat, there is little flavor. Like cleansing the pallet for sure.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

what i am curious about is why you would wait a couple of months? Lee

Brisket report biig General Cooking 8 21-07-2010 01:41 AM
Report PL to his ISP Pearl General Cooking 3 10-02-2009 04:14 AM
Brisket report Nonnymus[_8_] Barbecue 14 21-07-2007 03:26 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM
Knife/Brisket report George B. Ross Barbecue 3 02-10-2004 01:33 PM