Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> It gets totally soggy. You reach into the bag to drop
> the first piece in the fryer and you think, "I'm
> screwed". Then when it comes out of the oil it's as
> good as new.
>
> --
> Mort

I'm learning to use my toaster oven for that.
Less oil.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Mort > wrote:
>>I was a bit rushed there. Truth be told I was running off
>>to a job interview.

> Ooh, job hunting? It sucks. I'm in the same boat and hope mine Monday
> went well.
>
> Good luck! And I really do mean that...
>
> I've not been unemployed since I was a Freshman in college which was
> well over half a lifetime ago. :-(

You are kind.

Fortunately, I'm gainfully employed. Would not be though
if my employer knew I was job hunting. Just another one of
the reasons I switch nyms every few years.

Good luck. May you get a callback tomorrow!

I'm applying to a firm populated with a lot of folks
from a previous employer. Most don't know me by name
but some do remember the food I brought in. So I'm told.

I'm hoping it helps.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:26:45 -0800, Mort wrote:

> I'm applying to a firm populated with a lot of folks
> from a previous employer. Most don't know me by name
> but some do remember the food I brought in. So I'm told.
>
> I'm hoping it helps.

That used to be a joke of mine, "People should hire me just to keep
around for those potlucks". Or, "If it wasn't for these potlucks I
would have been fired long ago".

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Mort > wrote:
> >>I was a bit rushed there. Truth be told I was running off
> >>to a job interview.

> > Ooh, job hunting? It sucks. I'm in the same boat and hope mine Monday
> > went well.
> >
> > Good luck! And I really do mean that...
> >
> > I've not been unemployed since I was a Freshman in college which was
> > well over half a lifetime ago. :-(

> You are kind.

Cheers! :-)

> Fortunately, I'm gainfully employed. Would not be though
> if my employer knew I was job hunting. Just another one of
> the reasons I switch nyms every few years.

How does that work for job references?

> Good luck. May you get a callback tomorrow!

Thank you!

They said 2 weeks. <sigh> I was the first to be interviewed. I have one
advantage with that and that is the fact that one of the girls there
worked with me at my old job. I am unemployed at the moment. Hence the
flood of posts. I'm spending a LOT of time on the 'net job hunting and
playing with business opportunities.

> I'm applying to a firm populated with a lot of folks
> from a previous employer. Most don't know me by name
> but some do remember the food I brought in. So I'm told.
>
> I'm hoping it helps.

I put "cooking" as one of my hobbies on my resume'. :-) My potential
boss is Hindu. His name is "Saeed"
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:26:45 -0800, Mort wrote:
>
> > I'm applying to a firm populated with a lot of folks
> > from a previous employer. Most don't know me by name
> > but some do remember the food I brought in. So I'm told.
> >
> > I'm hoping it helps.

> That used to be a joke of mine, "People should hire me just to keep
> around for those potlucks". Or, "If it wasn't for these potlucks I
> would have been fired long ago".
>
> -sw

I'm wondering if that would have helped me keep my old job. I finally
got a call from a co-worker yesterday (one I've used as a reference) and
found out that Alea (the other night tech) quit two days after I was
asked to resign. I sometimes cooked for the two of us and she was
always appreciative. I quit participating in day shift pot lucks a few
years ago.

I feel sorry for some of my other ex co-workers. The boss is coercing
some people to work nights with threats. I LIKED nights but many do
not...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:07:53 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> I put "cooking" as one of my hobbies on my resume'. :-) My potential
> boss is Hindu. His name is "Saeed"

Send him some pot roast to thank him for the interview.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:07:53 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > I put "cooking" as one of my hobbies on my resume'. :-) My potential
> > boss is Hindu. His name is "Saeed"

> Send him some pot roast to thank him for the interview.
>
> -sw

He's Hindu.

A curry might be more appropriate. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:22:33 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:07:53 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I put "cooking" as one of my hobbies on my resume'. :-) My potential
>>> boss is Hindu. His name is "Saeed"

>> Send him some pot roast to thank him for the interview.

> He's Hindu.
>
> A curry might be more appropriate. ;-)

How stereotypical.

OK, Beef Curry.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:26:45 -0800, Mort wrote:
>

>>I'm applying to a firm populated with a lot of folks
>>from a previous employer. Most don't know me by name
>>but some do remember the food I brought in. So I'm told.
>>
>>I'm hoping it helps.

> That used to be a joke of mine, "People should hire me just to keep
> around for those potlucks". Or, "If it wasn't for these potlucks I
> would have been fired long ago".
>
> -sw

One of them actually said, "Your bread was a lot
better than your code"

Or maybe it was "I rememeber you bread but not your code"

There's good and bad to those statements obviously

Since I really want to work there (they're right downtown)
I'm wondering how make it work. Maybe I'll promise them
"Bread Friday" or something

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:55:31 -0800, Mort wrote:

> Since I really want to work there (they're right downtown)
> I'm wondering how make it work. Maybe I'll promise them
> "Bread Friday" or something

I would wait to tell them you have a sideline until after you get
hired :-)

That's what I miss about working in the BA - all the different
nationalities and everybody seemed to cook *something* and willing
to share techniques and trade secrets of their native cuisines.
Potlucks were always interesting.

Here in Texas half the people go to Walmart a half hour before the
event. And the other half tell the first half what to pick up for
them. At our Christmas party of 130 employees and their families,
my baklava was one of only 3 home made items. And most everybody
asked "What's baklava?" <sigh>

And what did I win as a door prize? A $50 gift certificate to
Walmart.

-sw-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:22:33 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Send him some pot roast to thank him for the interview.

> > He's Hindu.
> >
> > A curry might be more appropriate. ;-)

> How stereotypical.
>
> OK, Beef Curry.
>
> -sw

I might be able to manage that!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Cleatarrior said:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

>>> I may need to correct myself on my belief that water won't
>>> accumulate from cooking, if indeed it's done at or below 212F. I
>>> never fry anything that low. At those temps, yes, water won't be
>>> forced to the surface of the food as steam and escape, it probably
>>> just accumulates. But I can't see any reason for frying at that sort
>>> of temperature.
>>>
>>> MartyB
>>>

>> Funny you mention that.
>>
>> America's Test Kitchen has a recipe (July-Aug. '09 issue) where you
>> start French fries in cold oil, come to temp (a rolling boil)- 350f on
>> my machine - then cook once for a total of 20-25 minutes.
>>
>> The theory is that the cold start gives the fries time to develop on
>> the inside and then get a nice crispy exterior.
>>
>> They recommend using Yukon gold potatoes and I can guaranty this
>> method works, and works well.
>>
>> The fries are almost mashed potato creamy inside with a perfect golden
>> exterior crisp.
>>
>> I haven't had any issues with water accumulating in the deep fryer
>> doing it this way, but I do pat the fries dry before they go in.
>>
>> And no, they don't seem to hold any more oil than the traditional
>> blanch/rest/fry method.

> You wouldn't get any water accumulation like Brick did, because you were
> cooking well above the boiling point.

Ok, my concern was in making sure those fries are not wet when they go in.

Did some Thai marinade wings the other night, the recipe cautioned
completely drying the flavor marinade off first, then they come out and
get a bath like buffalo wings.

That episode of Mythbusters has me extra cautious around the fryer these
days.

> The double cook method is to cook moisture out of the fries the first time
> at lower (275-300F) so that when you go back to crisp them up you won't have
> heat loss from the moisture evaporation coming from the potatoes and you get
> a nice consistent high temp fry. Run some raw potatoes through a shredder
> and then squeeze a handful. Lotsa water.

You betcha, OK for hash browns where you want it, suicide in a fryer.

> Your cold start method will
> accomplish the same thing, it will just take longer to come to temp from
> cold due to the thermal loss caused by converting the moisture cooking out
> of the fries into steam.
>
> MartyB

Hey it really does the trick, and those Golds are fast replacing any
other spud in my pantry.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> Mort said:

>>> Yes. It works with everthing. Try it and you'll be sold.
>>>
>>> You cannot tell the difference. I was sure I'd be able to
>>> tell but after doing it a few hundred times with all kinds of
>>> different stuff I finally gave in.
>>>
>>> Bad them tight in zip bags and don't fridge them for
>>> more than a day.

>> So the breaded stuff doesn't just get all soggy in the fridge overnight
>> lying there only half cooked? It's definitely counterintuitive. But hey,
>> I'll try anything, so the next batch of O-rings or panko/tempura
>> shrimp I'll
>> try it on a batch.
>>
>> MartyB
>>

> It gets totally soggy. You reach into the bag to drop
> the first piece in the fryer and you think, "I'm
> screwed". Then when it comes out of the oil it's as
> good as new.

Very cool, thanks again.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:04:01 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:22:33 -0600, Omelet wrote:

>>> He's Hindu.
>>>
>>> A curry might be more appropriate. ;-)

>> How stereotypical.
>>
>> OK, Beef Curry.

> I might be able to manage that!

Except that Hindu's don't eat beef.

Sucker!

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:04:01 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> How stereotypical.
> >>
> >> OK, Beef Curry.

> > I might be able to manage that!

> Except that Hindu's don't eat beef.
>
> Sucker!
>
> -sw

Ok, I admit that I forgot about that one. Beast. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:49:03 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:04:01 -0600, Omelet wrote:

>>> I might be able to manage that!

>> Except that Hindu's don't eat beef.
>>
>> Sucker!

> Ok, I admit that I forgot about that one. Beast. ;-)

I know. I'm beyond mean.

Just curious, but how do you know he's Hindu? Just because they're
Indian should not imply they're Hindu. I think it's only about a
75% chance. Other than a red dot, or them telling you they're
Hindu, is there another way to determine Hinduism?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Except that Hindu's don't eat beef.
> >>
> >> Sucker!

> > Ok, I admit that I forgot about that one. Beast. ;-)

> I know. I'm beyond mean.
>
> Just curious, but how do you know he's Hindu? Just because they're
> Indian should not imply they're Hindu. I think it's only about a
> 75% chance. Other than a red dot, or them telling you they're
> Hindu, is there another way to determine Hinduism?
>
> -sw

I just use that rather than "Indian" as some people confuse it with
Native American. I guess I should just use "mid-eastern" as he could be
Pakistani. I doubt he is muslin as he's bald and clean shaven, and does
not cover his head. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Mort said:
>

>>I'm applying to a firm populated with a lot of folks
>>from a previous employer. Most don't know me by name
>>but some do remember the food I brought in. So I'm told.
>>
>>I'm hoping it helps.

> If that intel works it's way up to the PTB, it certainly can't hurt!

Thanks.

Made it to the final round with this particular company. I need to feel
them out. As long as they're not hippie dippy vegetarians they just
might be influenced by promises to cater some Q parties.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Mort said:
>

>>>So the breaded stuff doesn't just get all soggy in the fridge
>>>overnight lying there only half cooked? It's definitely
>>>counterintuitive. But hey, I'll try anything, so the next batch of
>>>O-rings or panko/tempura shrimp I'll try it on a batch.
>>>
>>>MartyB
>>>

>>It gets totally soggy. You reach into the bag to drop
>>the first piece in the fryer and you think, "I'm
>>screwed". Then when it comes out of the oil it's as
>>good as new.

> Can you be more specific about the two stage cook please... especially what
> time and temp you might use in the first stage for wet breaded, vs. dry
> breaded (non-batter) vs bare, such as fries? Or is it all about the same?
>
> MartyB

Typically it 325-350 F for the first stage. Look for early stages
of golden brown ness, but don't cook all the way.

Stage 2 cook it higher, like 360-380 F. It usually goes pretty
fast.

I don't think in terms of time, myself. Like Q it depends on
so many different factors. With deep frying the initial temp
can make such a big difference. Something coming right out
of the fridge can take almost twice as long as something at
room temp.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...
> Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
>
> My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> cabinet and floor.
>
>[snip]
>
> If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> in line.
> --
> Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

Brick, I've been thinking about this for some time. None of us want to go
through what you went through. I have a hard time thinking this could have
been caused by residual water underneath the hot oil. If it was over 212F
the water would boil off. Is the bowl of that Krups deep frier all in one
piece, or is there a seam somewhere. Could the explosion occured because
what was in the fryer somehow got to the heating element? Is there a small
crack in the bowl. I've always deep fryed with a Presto cast aluminum
bodied fryer. The heating element can't directly to the oil in any fashion.
Mine is quite old. I don't know if current models are manufactured in the
same way. They are very reasonably priced, and they are a much better size,
I think, for home use. The square fryers, for every day use, require too
much oil. A round, rather than a square deep fryer makes far more sense to
me.
Glad, there was no injury,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Mar-2010, "Kent" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
> >
> > My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> > all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> > going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> > the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> > more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> > cabinet and floor.
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> > If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> > in line.
> > --
> > Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)
> >

> Brick, I've been thinking about this for some time. None of us want to go
>
> through what you went through. I have a hard time thinking this could
> have
> been caused by residual water underneath the hot oil. If it was over 212F
>
> the water would boil off. Is the bowl of that Krups deep frier all in one
>
> piece, or is there a seam somewhere. Could the explosion occured because
> what was in the fryer somehow got to the heating element? Is there a
> small
> crack in the bowl. I've always deep fryed with a Presto cast aluminum
> bodied fryer. The heating element can't directly to the oil in any
> fashion.
> Mine is quite old. I don't know if current models are manufactured in the
>
> same way. They are very reasonably priced, and they are a much better
> size,
> I think, for home use. The square fryers, for every day use, require too
> much oil. A round, rather than a square deep fryer makes far more sense
> me.
> Glad, there was no injury,
>
> Kent

I've lost interest in this subject, but I'll give it one more shot.

1. The Krups, Waring Pro, Cuisenart, et., al. deep fryers all have seamless
SS tanks and all have a removable "in the tank" heating element. Yes, the
heating element is in direct contact with the oil.

2. Water lying in the bottom of the fryer will likely boil off during
warmup
but that is not promised. There is always a danger of overheating water
if conditions are right to inhibit the formation of bubbles on the bottom.
The same phenomona occurs with a cup of pure water in a microwave.

3. I've had this fryer for several years and it is not defective in any
way.

4. Shear volumn has its pros and cons. Less oil is cheaper. More oil has
more temperature stability and larger amounts can be cooked at one
time. Straining oil religiously and keeping it in a sealed container
between uses does much to lengthen its usefull life.

5. I just gave away my 'Fry Daddy'. I didn't measure my two fryers
side by side, but I'm guessing that the Fry Daddy had about half the
volumn of the Krups. The Krups uses one full gallon to reach the
Max Oil mark which is about half the tank volumn.

I'm off on a new frying challenge now. "The perfect french fry".
I saw a show somewhere about a restaurant that soaked raw fries
for 24 hours in water before double frying them to achieve fries
that their regulars swear by. As I remember, they use peeled
russets.

We'll see what happens.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 14-Mar-2010, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>> ter.com...
>> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

[snip]

> I'm off on a new frying challenge now. "The perfect french fry".
> I saw a show somewhere about a restaurant that soaked raw fries
> for 24 hours in water before double frying them to achieve fries
> that their regulars swear by. As I remember, they use peeled
> russets.
>
> We'll see what happens.
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Use Russets, old Russets with a high starch content. Don't rinse or soak
them. Do a two stage fry, the first at about 325 for ten minutes. Then heat
oil to 365F or as high as it will go without oil breakdown. Put the fries in
for the second round, as long as it takes to crisp up.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Mar-2010, "Kent" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> >
> > On 14-Mar-2010, "Kent" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Brick" > wrote in message
> >> ter.com...
> >> >

> [snip]
> >
> > I'm off on a new frying challenge now. "The perfect french fry".
> > I saw a show somewhere about a restaurant that soaked raw fries
> > for 24 hours in water before double frying them to achieve fries
> > that their regulars swear by. As I remember, they use peeled
> > russets.
> >
> > We'll see what happens.
> > --
> > Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
> >

> Use Russets, old Russets with a high starch content. Don't rinse or soak
> them. Do a two stage fry, the first at about 325 for ten minutes. Then
> heat
> oil to 365F or as high as it will go without oil breakdown. Put the fries
> in
> for the second round, as long as it takes to crisp up.
>
> Kent

I abandoned that procedure a couple of years ago. It doesn't achieve
my description of the perfect fry.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:21:50 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 15-Mar-2010, "Kent" > wrote:

>> [snip]
>> >
>> > I'm off on a new frying challenge now. "The perfect french fry".
>> > I saw a show somewhere about a restaurant that soaked raw fries
>> > for 24 hours in water before double frying them to achieve fries
>> > that their regulars swear by. As I remember, they use peeled
>> > russets.
>> >
>> > We'll see what happens.
>> > --
>> > Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
>> >

>> Use Russets, old Russets with a high starch content. Don't rinse or soak
>> them. Do a two stage fry, the first at about 325 for ten minutes. Then
>> heat
>> oil to 365F or as high as it will go without oil breakdown. Put the fries
>> in
>> for the second round, as long as it takes to crisp up.
>>
>> Kent

>I abandoned that procedure a couple of years ago. It doesn't achieve
>my description of the perfect fry.

I use russets Brick. I rinse them well, hand cut with skin on, and pat
dry well.

1st fry is at 275-300 till almost limp. I then set them aside to cool.

2nd fry at 375. They are done when they reach the desired doneness or
float, which ever you prefer.

For me, perfect.

It also helps LOTS if you can fry them in BEEF LARD. Bad for you I
know, but once a year I say, F*ck it:.

Duck fat might be tasty, but I do not know for sure.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Mar-2010, Gene > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:21:50 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:

.. . .

> I use russets Brick. I rinse them well, hand cut with skin on, and pat
> dry well.
>
> 1st fry is at 275-300 till almost limp. I then set them aside to cool.
>
> 2nd fry at 375. They are done when they reach the desired doneness or
> float, which ever you prefer.
>
> For me, perfect.
>
> It also helps LOTS if you can fry them in BEEF LARD. Bad for you I
> know, but once a year I say, F*ck it:.
>
> Duck fat might be tasty, but I do not know for sure.
>
> Gene

I've made my best fries exactly like that Gene albeit with canola oil.
I think I know where I can get some hog lard, but it's 40 miles one
way.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:21:50 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Use Russets, old Russets with a high starch content. Don't rinse or soak
>>> them. Do a two stage fry, the first at about 325 for ten minutes. Then
>>> heat
>>> oil to 365F or as high as it will go without oil breakdown. Put the
>>> fries
>>> in
>>> for the second round, as long as it takes to crisp up.
>>>
>>> Kent

>>I abandoned that procedure a couple of years ago. It doesn't achieve
>>my description of the perfect fry.

> I use russets Brick. I rinse them well, hand cut with skin on, and pat
> dry well.
>
> 1st fry is at 275-300 till almost limp. I then set them aside to cool.
>
> 2nd fry at 375. They are done when they reach the desired doneness or
> float, which ever you prefer.
>
> For me, perfect.
>
> It also helps LOTS if you can fry them in BEEF LARD. Bad for you I
> know, but once a year I say, F*ck it:.
>
> Duck fat might be tasty, but I do not know for sure.
>
> Gene

Do you rinse the potato before you cut it into fries or after? I don't
think it makes sense to rinse the cut potatoes. We all use russets because
they have a high starch content. Washing washes the starch away. The starch
on the surface of the potato is what makes it crisp. I peel, cut, and dry
thoroughly with paper towels; then it goes into the oil for the first fry.
Russets have varying degrees of starch content. Old russets potatoes have
worked best for me, I think because of the higher starch content.

I've always had the best success with peanut oil as it will go to a higher
temp. without breaking down. It has, however, a slight taste. It's become
expensive. Potatoes fried in goose fat are somewhat of a delicacy in France.
We tend to substitute duck fat for goose fat in this country.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076888/On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:26:04 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message

snip

>> Gene
>>

>Do you rinse the potato before you cut it into fries or after

Before, just to get any outside shit off them.

I don't
>think it makes sense to rinse the cut potatoes. We all use russets because
>they have a high starch content. Washing washes the starch away.

Wrong. The potato is made up of starch.

The starch
>on the surface of the potato is what makes it crisp.

Nope. Frying in hot oil makes it chrisp.

I peel, cut, and dry
>thoroughly with paper towels; then it goes into the oil for the first fry.
>Russets have varying degrees of starch content. Old russets potatoes have
>worked best for me, I think because of the higher starch content.

I use what I have on hand, old, newer, does not seem to make a
difference. I also dry after cutting.

>I've always had the best success with peanut oil as it will go to a higher
>temp. without breaking down. It has, however, a slight taste. It's become
>expensive. Potatoes fried in goose fat are somewhat of a delicacy in France.
>We tend to substitute duck fat for goose fat in this country.

I am talking French Fries here. Beef lard rules.

>Kent

Gene

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"

TN: a week of drive-by notes (long/boring) DaleW Wine 2 07-12-2012 12:01 AM
Deep fryer oil [email protected] General Cooking 12 28-10-2009 06:40 PM
t-fal deep fryer linda dumoulin General Cooking 2 13-04-2005 09:27 PM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 3 01-12-2004 10:59 AM
Warning: Long newbie post Troy Winemaking 4 24-11-2003 04:49 PM