Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Spatchcock origination

To Spatchcock a bird not only seems to be a way to cut a bird but also
is done in coordination with how it is cooked, on a grill.

Sooo, you can spatchcock a bird, but spatchcocking isn't a boiled,
broiled nor baked bird for sure! he, he.
Mike

"Where Did The Word "Spatchcock" Come From?

Deary me! Mention that you are serving spatchcock chicken, and the
ladies blush, the men frown and the children giggle. However, it is a
real word that has been around since the 18th century. Numerous
dictionaries agree on its usage as a noun and as a verb.
Below we have a list of items from the web using the word, examples of
its usage in the United Kingdom and we have entries from a wide variety
of dictionaries, both online and traditional".... see link for full article,

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> To Spatchcock a bird not only seems to be a way to cut a bird but also
> is done in coordination with how it is cooked, on a grill.
>
> Sooo, you can spatchcock a bird, but spatchcocking isn't a boiled,
> broiled nor baked bird for sure! he, he.
> Mike
>

> "Where Did The Word "Spatchcock" Come From?
>
> Deary me! Mention that you are serving spatchcock chicken, and the
> ladies blush, the men frown and the children giggle. However, it is a
> real word that has been around since the 18th century. Numerous
> dictionaries agree on its usage as a noun and as a verb.
> Below we have a list of items from the web using the word, examples of
> its usage in the United Kingdom and we have entries from a wide variety
> of dictionaries, both online and traditional".... see link for full
> article,
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm

Well that autta liven things up 'round here a bit. ;-)

One think I forgot to mention, when doing a turkey, after cutting the
backbone out, you may want to flip it over and taking a good sharp heavy
knife, cut through the top portion of the breasbone a little so it
flattens easier.

I also cut into where the wings and thighs join the body for more even
cooking. Just imagine cutting into your armpit and groin on each side
of your "ha-ha" You know, the part that's "always" red/pink down by
the bone

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> piedmont wrote:
> > To Spatchcock a bird not only seems to be a way to cut a bird but also
> > is done in coordination with how it is cooked, on a grill.
> >
> > Sooo, you can spatchcock a bird, but spatchcocking isn't a boiled,
> > broiled nor baked bird for sure! he, he.
> > Mike
> >

> > "Where Did The Word "Spatchcock" Come From?
> >
> > Deary me! Mention that you are serving spatchcock chicken, and the
> > ladies blush, the men frown and the children giggle. However, it is a
> > real word that has been around since the 18th century. Numerous
> > dictionaries agree on its usage as a noun and as a verb.
> > Below we have a list of items from the web using the word, examples of
> > its usage in the United Kingdom and we have entries from a wide variety
> > of dictionaries, both online and traditional".... see link for full
> > article,
> >
> > http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm
> >

> Well that autta liven things up 'round here a bit. ;-)
>
> One think I forgot to mention, when doing a turkey, after cutting the
> backbone out, you may want to flip it over and taking a good sharp heavy
> knife, cut through the top portion of the breasbone a little so it
> flattens easier.

For chicken, I generally just take a heavy meat mallet to it since I
have one, but thanks for the tip. <g>

> I also cut into where the wings and thighs join the body for more even
> cooking. Just imagine cutting into your armpit and groin on each side
> of your "ha-ha" You know, the part that's "always" red/pink down by
> the bone

I understand. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Spatchcock a turkey Janet Bostwick General Cooking 18 23-11-2011 06:56 AM
spatchcock bulka[_2_] General Cooking 27 30-11-2009 05:39 AM
Spatchcock it Opinicus Historic 1 15-03-2007 02:07 PM
Spatchcock Virgin ~-x-y-~ General Cooking 12 20-09-2006 06:27 PM
spatchcock Bob (this one) General Cooking 6 25-06-2004 05:20 AM