Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Barbecue Definitions

Kent wrote:

> This post is a more general questioin than Mike's above.

These questions have a long history of answers and mostly consensus here on
AFB. They also are discussed in documents like the BBQ FAQ which we use. I
am tempted to be snotty because I believe that this is another typical
Kent-Analism. I will, however, give you the benefit of the doubt and make a
patient go of it. My answers are based on decades of experience and
interactions with bbq pit-masters from all over America, all of whom are the
experts in the BBQ cooking discipline. Big Jim, Chef Juke, Ginger (the bbq
girl) and Bob, Steve Wertz, Brick, TFM, Nonny, Piedmont, and so many more
here on AFB.

I hope that this doesn't become another Kent format of inteminable
question-debate. All bets are off if that happens.

Now, I don't have the post handy so I have no idea what Mike's question was.
It would of helped to have included the relevant text of his post..

> All regarding the mode of cooking, and time and temp. When I search the
> literature, there are obviously not uniform definitions. We need a
> glossary, though that's probably impossible.

Those of us who are regulars here, have a working glossary.

> My questions:
> 1. What is to "Barbecue", or barbecueing?

Using a temperature that is appropriate to allow a cut of meat, made tough
by collagen, cartilage, and other fiberous tissue, to tenderize, without
drying out, by the judicious use of fire with wood or wood products like
charcoal. This is an outdoor cooking process involving equipment designed to
do the task.

> 2 What is "Low and Slow"

A temperature which is lower than the typical range of roasting temperatures
of approximately 325F or higher. Most experienced bbq folk will use a range
of 225F-275F as a guideline.

> as Mike defines above or "Barbecue Low and Slow" ?

I don't know what that refers to. It would of helped to have included that
posts relevant text.

> Is there an agreement that "Low and Slow" implies indirect, or can also be
> direct?

It can be either. Indirect heat may provide an easier method by which to
control temperature, but bbq was originally done over open pits filled with
coals from wood. That is still the practice in many traditional Carolina bbq
joints, and by some of us here on AFB.

> 3. What is Smoking?

Smoking is a non-cooking method of using smoke with a cure to preserve meat.
That same cold smoke method is used to add smoke flavoring to items like
cheese or vegetables, nuts, etc.

> 4 What is "Smoke Cooking" or "Smoke Roasting"

It is exactly what the name implies: cooking at various temperatures using
wood smoke as a flavoring. Smoke roasting, for example, can use any outdoor
pit or grill to acheive roasting temperatures (325F or higher) with the food
exposed to wood smoke.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> This post is a more general questioin than Mike's above.

> These questions have a long history of answers and mostly consensus here
> on AFB. They also are discussed in documents like the BBQ FAQ which we
> use. I am tempted to be snotty because I believe that this is another
> typical Kent-Analism.

A better term for Analism is "Cerebral Constipation"
Cheers in Jest,
Kent
------
, constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> This post is a more general questioin than Mike's above.

>> These questions have a long history of answers and mostly consensus
>> here on AFB. They also are discussed in documents like the BBQ FAQ
>> which we use. I am tempted to be snotty because I believe that this
>> is another typical Kent-Analism.
>>

> A better term for Analism is "Cerebral Constipation"
> Cheers in Jest,

LOL!!!
--
Dave