Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Tips on how to smoke a turkey

Please don't tell me they are hard to light. (smile)

We bought an extra turkey last Christmas when they were plentiful
and the price was a bit more reasonable.

I have been thinking that I want to smoke it, but in all my years of
outdoor cooking, I have never smoked a turkey. I will be using an
offset firebox type smoker (New Branfells (sp)), and burning
seasoned oak and pecan mixed.

The turkey weighs 12 pounds.

I sure would appreciate any tips you guys might want to offer -

- temp: to roast it in the oven, we would use 350 for about four
hours, do it about the same?

- spice: use a rub, I don't care for brining.

- any other -------------

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" > wrote in message
> Please don't tell me they are hard to light. (smile)
>
> We bought an extra turkey last Christmas when they were plentiful and the
> price was a bit more reasonable.
>
> I have been thinking that I want to smoke it, but in all my years of
> outdoor cooking, I have never smoked a turkey. I will be using an offset
> firebox type smoker (New Branfells (sp)), and burning seasoned oak and
> pecan mixed.
>
> The turkey weighs 12 pounds.
>
> I sure would appreciate any tips you guys might want to offer -
>
> - temp: to roast it in the oven, we would use 350 for about four hours, do
> it about the same?
>
> - spice: use a rub, I don't care for brining.
>
> - any other -------------
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

I'd strongly rcommend brining. I think brining with a hypertonic saline
solution containing sugar and seasonings reduces the possibility of a low
temp. infection. It also improves flavor of something relatively flavorless.
I brine 12lb turkeys a lot. To get an offset smoker to 350F are you going to
have to use charcoal in the both chambers?

Get a 2.5 gallon Hefty bag: Mix up brine with 1-2 oz salt, 2-4 oz sugar, and
seasonings all per quart of brine. Turkey goes in the bag and the brine
goes in with it. Brine in frig. 24 or so hours. Then roast away at 275F to
internal temp. of 160F.

Brining this way is very easy, and safer than putting the turkey in a food
safe pail and brining in a cold garage.

I'll bet if you try it you'll never do it differently.

Good Luck,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Bob-tx said:
>> Please don't tell me they are hard to light. (smile)
>>
>> We bought an extra turkey last Christmas when they were plentiful
>> and the price was a bit more reasonable.
>>
>> I have been thinking that I want to smoke it, but in all my years of
>> outdoor cooking, I have never smoked a turkey. I will be using an
>> offset firebox type smoker (New Branfells (sp)), and burning
>> seasoned oak and pecan mixed.
>>
>> The turkey weighs 12 pounds.
>>
>> I sure would appreciate any tips you guys might want to offer -
>>
>> - temp: to roast it in the oven, we would use 350 for about four
>> hours, do it about the same?
>>
>> - spice: use a rub, I don't care for brining.
>>
>> - any other -------------
>>
>> Thanks, Bob-tx

> A couple things that work for me... throw some chunks of onion, celery,
> and
> garlic cloves in the cavity, season inside the cavity.
>
> Even on a smoker, cook it in a pan with a rack. If you don't get heavy
> smoke, you can still make gravy.
>
> Roast the bird breast *down* for 1/2 - 2/3 of the cook, then flip it over.
> This lets the fats and juices from the dark meat keep the breast meat
> moist.
> Spike the temp right at the end to crisp up the breast skin.
>
> I put it in hot, 375-400 for about 15 minutes, then drop the temp to 250
> or
> so until the deepest part of the thigh reaches doneness. Then if the
> breast
> skin is rubbery I spike it at 400 for a few minutes and baste the breast
> with clarified butter to get a nice crisp on the skin.
>
> MartyB

That's just what I do when roasting in "normal" fashion, breast down first.
Roast indirectly, and collect drippings. Deglaze the drippings for your
turkey gravey. I put a little water or chicken stock in the drip pan so the
drippings don't dry out so much.

I always save the carcass and make turkey stock. This is very easy, and
makes all the difference in the world for the next turkey. A good rich stock
changes everything.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I'd strongly rcommend brining. I think brining with a hypertonic saline
> solution containing sugar and seasonings reduces the possibility of a low
> temp. infection. It also improves flavor of something relatively flavorless.
> I brine 12lb turkeys a lot. To get an offset smoker to 350F are you going to
> have to use charcoal in the both chambers?
>
> Get a 2.5 gallon Hefty bag: Mix up brine with 1-2 oz salt, 2-4 oz sugar, and

Newbies considering follwing these instruction: This is not a good basic
brine. Don't take my word for it, just look up "basic brine" on the web.
The basic recipe doesn't vary too widely. The one above is the
exception: not enoough salt and too much sugar.

And the Hefty bag is not really a Hefty bag as we know it. He's referring
to zip-lock bags, which are food-safe. Garbage bags are not food safe.

> Brining this way is very easy, and safer than putting the turkey in a food
> safe pail and brining in a cold garage.

Are you actually denouncing your former process? This can't be the real Kent.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I'd strongly rcommend brining. I think brining with a hypertonic
> saline solution containing sugar and seasonings reduces the
> possibility of a low temp. infection.

What??? Low temp infection? What are you talking about?

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" > wrote in message
> Please don't tell me they are hard to light. (smile)

<Snip>

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be a couple weeks, but I'll post
results.

Have tried brining on chickens, and just do not like it - just too
salty for our tastes.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" > wrote in message

> "Bob-tx" > wrote in message
>> Please don't tell me they are hard to light. (smile)
>>

> <Snip>
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Will be a couple weeks, but I'll post results.
>
> Have tried brining on chickens, and just do not like it - just too salty
> for our tastes.
>
> Bob-tx

Cut down on your salt, if you decide to try it again. Most recipes call for
2oz by vol. of table salt per quart. I've always used 1 oz by vol/quart, and
2 oz sugar/quart. 1 oz salt/quart gives you abouta 6.5% salt by weight.
That's about 7 times the salt concentration in your blood[which is .9%
NaCl]. With turkey we don't ever think it's too salty.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 05:41:20 -0600, "Bob-tx" >
wrote:

> I will be using an offset firebox type smoker (New Branfells (sp)), and burning
>seasoned oak and pecan mixed.

Ah, the NBBD, my first smoker. Believe it or not, the very first butt
I did came out perfect! I had no idea what I was doing. Pure luck I
suppose. Now I have Kamado 7 and use a remote thermometer. I agree
with the other replies, try a brine and you'll never go back to a rub.
My first turkey was not brined and after learning about brining, I
discovered a world of difference.
Also, my first time I used mesquite charcoal which is not recommended
by many here, but remember, I was a newbie and since have learned that
other sources are better. I use only seasoned cherry and apricot wood
now. Four hours is about right on a 12 pounder.
btw, it's New Braunfels. I assume you have the Black Diamond, aka
NBBD on the net. It's a great little smoker, but long discontinued.
Eddie

>The turkey weighs 12 pounds.
>
>I sure would appreciate any tips you guys might want to offer -
>
>- temp: to roast it in the oven, we would use 350 for about four
>hours, do it about the same?
>
>- spice: use a rub, I don't care for brining.
>
>- any other -------------
>
>Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I'd strongly rcommend brining. I think brining with a hypertonic
>> saline solution containing sugar and seasonings reduces the
>> possibility of a low temp. infection.

> What??? Low temp infection? What are you talking about?
>
> --
> Dave

Dave, thanks for your comment. I'm going to chase the literature about this.

I've always had the view that if a poultry product sits at a low temp. for
too many hours the risk of food borne infection arises. That's not only from
parents, but going back several generations. I think this is felt to be
particularly true of the body cavity. If it take too long for the temp. to
rise from 60F to 140F on its way to 160F there is a risk of food borne
infection, not only from the bacteria, which may be killed at the end of
cooking but also from endotoxins released before the bacteria died. I've
always thought that salting, via the brine, reduced the risk of infection,
and I've always brined before a low temperature smoke. My first smoker was
the Luhr Jensen Little Chief, which smokes the meat at a temp, as low as
150F, following which you cook your smoked meat in the usual fashion. All
the Lurh Jensen recipes and instructions included brining. Having thought
this through again, however, I can't find much in the literature that
suggests increasing the salt concentration in the meat by brining reduces
the risk of low temp. infection. I'm still a briner, however. I couldn't
quit.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I'd strongly rcommend brining. I think brining with a hypertonic
>>> saline solution containing sugar and seasonings reduces the
>>> possibility of a low temp. infection.

>> What??? Low temp infection? What are you talking about?
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>>

> Dave, thanks for your comment. I'm going to chase the literature
> about this.
> I've always had the view that if a poultry product sits at a low
> temp. for too many hours the risk of food borne infection arises.

Define too low. IMHO poultry does not benefit from low-temperature bbq
cooking (which is designed to balance moisture retention in the meat with
the needed tenderizing process of a tough cut.). I much prefer smoke
roasting as the best method of cooking birds in order to gain smoke flavor
without drying out the bird. I also find that, after years of doing brining
with hundreds of brine concoctions, I dislike the results of a brined bird.
To me, the texture of the meat is mushy. Moist, but mushy.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
o low. IMHO poultry does not benefit from low-temperature bbq
> cooking (which is designed to balance moisture retention in the meat with
> the needed tenderizing process of a tough cut.). I much prefer smoke
> roasting as the best method of cooking birds in order to gain smoke flavor
> without drying out the bird. I also find that, after years of doing brining
> with hundreds of brine concoctions, I dislike the results of a brined bird.
> To me, the texture of the meat is mushy. Moist, but mushy.

Standing ovation smiley here if I was allowed to do so on a non-bin
group! ;-)

Thanks Dave!! I was beginning to think that I was alone in that line of
thought. Another thing I do for birds which I haven't seen mentioned yet
(although I may have missed it) is spatchcocking. That method tends to
cook things more quickly and much more evenly.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:

>>> What??? Low temp infection? What are you talking about?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Dave, thanks for your comment. I'm going to chase the literature
>> about this.
>> I've always had the view that if a poultry product sits at a low
>> temp. for too many hours the risk of food borne infection arises.

> Define too low

I'm not sure what you mean, too low with regard to what part of the cooking?

>IMHO poultry does not benefit from low-temperature bbq cooking (which is
>designed to balance moisture retention in the meat with the needed
>tenderizing process of a tough cut.).

Smoking the turkey at 150F or so separates the cooking from the smoking.
Following that you roast it in the conventional fashion.

>I much prefer smoke roasting as the best method of cooking birds in order
>to gain smoke flavor without drying out the bird.

What do you mean by "smoke roasting"?

> I also find that, after years of doing brining with hundreds of brine
> concoctions, I dislike the results of a brined bird. To me, the texture of
> the meat is mushy. Moist, but mushy.
>
> Dave

We've never, never, had a mushy bird, and always the taste is improved.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:

>>> Dave, thanks for your comment. I'm going to chase the literature
>>> about this.
>>> I've always had the view that if a poultry product sits at a low
>>> temp. for too many hours the risk of food borne infection arises.

>> Define too low

> I'm not sure what you mean, too low with regard to what part of the
> cooking?

You said "that if a poultry product sits at a low temp".

>> IMHO poultry does not benefit from low-temperature bbq cooking
>> (which is designed to balance moisture retention in the meat with
>> the needed tenderizing process of a tough cut.).

> Smoking the turkey at 150F or so separates the cooking from the
> smoking. Following that you roast it in the conventional fashion.

I don't know why one would do the first step, or what benefit that would
have over smoke roasting.

>> I much prefer smoke roasting as the best method of cooking birds in
>> order to gain smoke flavor without drying out the bird.

> What do you mean by "smoke roasting"?

Cooking the bird in a pit, with charcoal and wood, at a temp above 300F.

>> I also find that, after years of doing brining with hundreds of brine
>> concoctions, I dislike the results of a brined bird. To me, the
>> texture of the meat is mushy. Moist, but mushy.

> We've never, never, had a mushy bird, and always the taste is
> improved.

What a mushy texture is to one person may be viewed as extra-moist to
someone else. To my taste, a factory saline-injected bird like a butterball
is similar in texture.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Thanks Dave!! I was beginning to think that I was alone in that line of
> thought. Another thing I do for birds which I haven't seen mentioned yet
> (although I may have missed it) is spatchcocking. That method tends to
> cook things more quickly and much more evenly.
>

> --
> Steve

I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/3/2010 6:40 AM, Omelet wrote:
snip
> I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

I suggested that to my wife recently and she should in no uncertain
terms, no! I told her she was a party pooper!

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
piedmont > wrote:

> On 3/3/2010 6:40 AM, Omelet wrote:
> snip
> > I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

> I suggested that to my wife recently and she should in no uncertain
> terms, no! I told her she was a party pooper!

<lol> It's otherwise known as "butterflying". I've just been doing that
with chickens but have considered trying it on turkeys, or even ducks.
Works great even on grilled cornish game hens:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/CitrusTarragonChicken#>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:05:41 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> piedmont > wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2010 6:40 AM, Omelet wrote:
>> snip
>>> I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

>> I suggested that to my wife recently and she should in no uncertain
>> terms, no! I told her she was a party pooper!

> <lol> It's otherwise known as "butterflying". I've just been doing that
> with chickens but have considered trying it on turkeys, or even ducks.
> Works great even on grilled cornish game hens:

Ducks are much harder to spatchcock because of the bone thickness
and the width of the rib cage and backbone. There was something
else anatomically wrong about spatchcocking a duck, but I forget
exactly what that was.

-sw

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:05:41 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > piedmont > wrote:
> >
> >> On 3/3/2010 6:40 AM, Omelet wrote:
> >> snip
> >> I suggested that to my wife recently and she should in no uncertain
> >> terms, no! I told her she was a party pooper!

> > <lol> It's otherwise known as "butterflying". I've just been doing that
> > with chickens but have considered trying it on turkeys, or even ducks.
> > Works great even on grilled cornish game hens:

> Ducks are much harder to spatchcock because of the bone thickness
> and the width of the rib cage and backbone. There was something
> else anatomically wrong about spatchcocking a duck, but I forget
> exactly what that was.
>
> -sw

Thanks, guess I won't try it then. Chinese and Thai seem to have no
problem quartering one tho'...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> piedmont > wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2010 6:40 AM, Omelet wrote:
>> snip
>> > I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

>> I suggested that to my wife recently and she should in no uncertain
>> terms, no! I told her she was a party pooper!

> <lol> It's otherwise known as "butterflying". I've just been doing that
> with chickens but have considered trying it on turkeys, or even ducks.
> Works great even on grilled cornish game hens:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/CitrusTarragonChicken#>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> Subscribe:

When you cook a duck it's nice to capture all the duck fat. Use that along
with leftover duck pieces as one ingredient for cassoulet, or any other
baked bean dish wtih various meats. The duck fat is a great addition, though
probably only with duck in the dish. After several ducks, you have duck fat
to make confit of canard.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:31:01 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:05:41 -0600, Omelet wrote:

>>> <lol> It's otherwise known as "butterflying". I've just been doing that
>>> with chickens but have considered trying it on turkeys, or even ducks.
>>> Works great even on grilled cornish game hens:

>> Ducks are much harder to spatchcock because of the bone thickness
>> and the width of the rib cage and backbone. There was something
>> else anatomically wrong about spatchcocking a duck, but I forget
>> exactly what that was.
>>
>> -sw

> Thanks, guess I won't try it then. Chinese and Thai seem to have no
> problem quartering one tho'...

They're always cooked whole and cut later. At least in Chinese
cooking.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> When you cook a duck it's nice to capture all the duck fat. Use that along
> with leftover duck pieces as one ingredient for cassoulet, or any other
> baked bean dish wtih various meats. The duck fat is a great addition, though
> probably only with duck in the dish. After several ducks, you have duck fat
> to make confit of canard.
>
> Kent

Having actually rack roasted ducks, the amount of fat I get from a
single one is sufficint to make a confit. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> > Thanks, guess I won't try it then. Chinese and Thai seem to have no
> > problem quartering one tho'...

> They're always cooked whole and cut later. At least in Chinese
> cooking.
>
> -sw

Really? Ok. The Duck Pho' at Kim Phungs features a duck quarter in each
bowl. Looks cooked as just a quarter to me, and I've also bought deep
fried duck pieces at other Chinese places. Seems odd that they'd deep
fry anything other than raw duck?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dave!! I was beginning to think that I was alone in that line
>> of thought. Another thing I do for birds which I haven't seen
>> mentioned yet (although I may have missed it) is spatchcocking. That
>> method tends to cook things more quickly and much more evenly.
>>

>> --
>> Steve

> I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

Spatchcocking is great!! Steve's description of the cooking outcome, using
the technique, mimics the results that I have come to expect.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> On 3/3/2010 6:40 AM, Omelet wrote:
> snip
>> I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

> I suggested that to my wife recently and she should in no uncertain
> terms, no! I told her she was a party pooper!

ROTFLOL!!!!

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Steve Calvin > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Dave!! I was beginning to think that I was alone in that line
> >> of thought. Another thing I do for birds which I haven't seen
> >> mentioned yet (although I may have missed it) is spatchcocking. That
> >> method tends to cook things more quickly and much more evenly.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Steve

> > I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

> Spatchcocking is great!! Steve's description of the cooking outcome, using
> the technique, mimics the results that I have come to expect.

Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 3, 1:14*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:

> > I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

> Spatchcocking is great!! Steve's description of the cooking outcome, using
> the technique, mimics the results that I have come to expect.

Haven't grilled any whole chix differently since learning about the
technique here, gosh, years ago now.

Been grilling the best chicken of my life ever since.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.

I rarely cook turkeys whole anymore, especially in the smoker.
I remove the the thighs and legs, and remove the breast. The remaining
parts go to make stock.

Sometimes I'll leave the breast on the bone, sometimes I'll roll
and tie it. Put everything in the smoker then remove the white
meat at 160 F. Leave the dark parts in until they hit around 175 F.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> > that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

> I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
> go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
> can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.

Not a bad idea.

> I rarely cook turkeys whole anymore, especially in the smoker.
> I remove the the thighs and legs, and remove the breast. The remaining
> parts go to make stock.

I see. But I'd consider quartering it.

> Sometimes I'll leave the breast on the bone, sometimes I'll roll
> and tie it. Put everything in the smoker then remove the white
> meat at 160 F. Leave the dark parts in until they hit around 175 F.

Ok.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

>> Spatchcocking is great!! Steve's description of the cooking outcome,
>> using the technique, mimics the results that I have come to expect.

> Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

I have, Om. It is a bit more difficult to do, and while the results were ok,
a spatchcocked turkey just doesn't do it for me.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>

>> Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
>> that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

> I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
> go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
> can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.
>
> I rarely cook turkeys whole anymore, especially in the smoker.
> I remove the the thighs and legs, and remove the breast. The remaining
> parts go to make stock.
>
> Sometimes I'll leave the breast on the bone, sometimes I'll roll
> and tie it. Put everything in the smoker then remove the white
> meat at 160 F. Leave the dark parts in until they hit around 175 F.

That is a great idea. I've done something similar, and the results are
terrific.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> I've recently started spatchcocking and I agree!

>> Spatchcocking is great!! Steve's description of the cooking outcome, using
>> the technique, mimics the results that I have come to expect.

> Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

I've done many, which is why I posted it. ;-) - try it - you'll like it
- but watch the meat temp as it will cook quicker

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>

>> Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
>> that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

> I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
> go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
> can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.
>
> I rarely cook turkeys whole anymore, especially in the smoker.
> I remove the the thighs and legs, and remove the breast. The remaining
> parts go to make stock.
>
> Sometimes I'll leave the breast on the bone, sometimes I'll roll
> and tie it. Put everything in the smoker then remove the white
> meat at 160 F. Leave the dark parts in until they hit around 175 F.

GREAT ideas! thanks!

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> > Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> > that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

> I have, Om. It is a bit more difficult to do, and while the results were ok,
> a spatchcocked turkey just doesn't do it for me.
> --
> Dave

Ok. But I may try it just once anyway. <g>
What was negative about it?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Spatchcocking is great!! Steve's description of the cooking outcome, using
> >> the technique, mimics the results that I have come to expect.

> > Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> > that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

> I've done many, which is why I posted it. ;-) - try it - you'll like it
> - but watch the meat temp as it will cook quicker

Yah, I kinda figured that based on my experience with just chickens.
But thanks for the heads-up. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3/3/2010 4:42 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>

>>> Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
>>> that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

>> I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
>> go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
>> can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.

> Not a bad idea.

Bad idea as it allows more escape routes for fat and juices!
snip

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this is my experience, have eaten in many places where its either halved
quarter or chopped then cooked, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> > Thanks, guess I won't try it then. Chinese and Thai seem to have no
>> > problem quartering one tho'...

>> They're always cooked whole and cut later. At least in Chinese
>> cooking.
>>
>> -sw

> Really? Ok. The Duck Pho' at Kim Phungs features a duck quarter in each
> bowl. Looks cooked as just a quarter to me, and I've also bought deep
> fried duck pieces at other Chinese places. Seems odd that they'd deep
> fry anything other than raw duck?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

as a method of cooking the extra bird, my DH often debones the turkey and
makes turkey rolls then roasts, what i am not sure of is how smoking the
rolls would work out, I am thinking not great, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Mort > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>

>> > Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
>> > that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

>> I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
>> go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
>> can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.

> Not a bad idea.
>

>> I rarely cook turkeys whole anymore, especially in the smoker.
>> I remove the the thighs and legs, and remove the breast. The remaining
>> parts go to make stock.

> I see. But I'd consider quartering it.
>

>> Sometimes I'll leave the breast on the bone, sometimes I'll roll
>> and tie it. Put everything in the smoker then remove the white
>> meat at 160 F. Leave the dark parts in until they hit around 175 F.

> Ok.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> as a method of cooking the extra bird, my DH often debones the turkey and
> makes turkey rolls then roasts, what i am not sure of is how smoking the
> rolls would work out, I am thinking not great, Lee

Might be worth a shot for more even cooking.
To date, when I've parted out a turkey and not roasted it whole, I've
made sausage out of the breast meat.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the DH makes these rolls in the roaster, they are fabulous done that way, he
removes legs and wings, then debones everything else for the rolls, two
rolls, half a bird each... tucks in the thigh meat, slow roast, and
perfect... i think smoking would be a waste as you leave on the skin to hold
together so no way for smoke to get in, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> as a method of cooking the extra bird, my DH often debones the turkey and
>> makes turkey rolls then roasts, what i am not sure of is how smoking the
>> rolls would work out, I am thinking not great, Lee

> Might be worth a shot for more even cooking.
> To date, when I've parted out a turkey and not roasted it whole, I've
> made sausage out of the breast meat.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> the DH makes these rolls in the roaster, they are fabulous done that way, he
> removes legs and wings, then debones everything else for the rolls, two
> rolls, half a bird each... tucks in the thigh meat, slow roast, and
> perfect... i think smoking would be a waste as you leave on the skin to hold
> together so no way for smoke to get in, Lee

Oh I see... I might have to test this first with a chicken. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Turkey Day tips AnnaBanana General Cooking 13 27-11-2009 01:03 AM
What temperature do I smoke a turkey at? Yoo Momma General Cooking 7 22-11-2006 06:42 PM
Turkey Tips Ricky Barbecue 1 23-11-2005 10:39 PM
Tips for using Weber's Smoke N Chips? Dunc Barbecue 2 30-08-2004 12:52 AM
How to Smoke/Cook the Turkey Jimbo Barbecue 4 23-10-2003 12:24 AM