Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions

Just ordered a cool book.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982426720/ref=s9_qpick_co_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s =left-1&pf_rd_r=1A3MZ41SE267A2GCNGBY&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_ p=493495311&pf_rd_i=typ01>

I was on the fence, then read a review by Len Poli which removed any
doubt about whether I should get it.

I repost the review here for your convenience:

20 of 20 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars
Polish Sausages, by the Marianski's and Gebarowski, November 12, 2007
By Len A. Poli "Len Poli" (Sonoma, CA USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions (Paperback)
This book is a must have for any serious home-sausage maker as well as any
commercial producer who is looking to produce sausages of quality, not
of Polish sausages has ever been published for the non-commercial sausage
maker. It begins with a brief history of Polish sausages and the customs
associated with their consumption, but is far more than a history lesson.
From a discussion of curing, grinding mixing, smoking, etc. the book
proceeds how to make a series of the most accurate, authentic recipes
--I should say "formulations' for over 70 Polish sausages. Now, these
are NOT your typical "Polish Kielbasa" found in the U.S. supermarkets,
but the traditional, authentic, old-times recipes from master sausage
makers. These recipes are standardized by the Polish government, after
the demise of the USSR, to maintain the quality and consistency in
these products that the people came to demand. Those of you looking
for the "supermarket" varieties need to look else ware. Presented
in this work are 0ver 70 of the Polish sausage recipes covering
fresh, smoked, emulsified, semi-dried and dried products. There
are a number of Krakowska types, beer sausage, ham sausage,
link sausage, white sausage, head cheeses, liver and blood
(kiszkas). The formulations begin with the exact quantities
additional ingredients (flavors, etc.0 and a detailed step
by step production method. Formulations are given for 100
kilogram and five kilogram recipes. The advantage of the
100 kg formulation is that the values can quickly be converted
to percentages and therefore any size batch can be calculated.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/25/2010 11:51 AM, Mort wrote:
> Just ordered a cool book.

snip
When you get it, post the recipe for Kielbasa. I'd like to see the
differences.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Just ordered a cool book.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...2?pf_rd_m=ATVP
> DKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1A3MZ41SE267A2GCNGBY&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_ p=493
> 495311&pf_rd_i=typ01>
>
> I was on the fence, then read a review by Len Poli which removed any
> doubt about whether I should get it.
>
> I repost the review here for your convenience:
>
> 20 of 20 people found the following review helpful:
> 5.0 out of 5 stars
> Polish Sausages, by the Marianski's and Gebarowski, November 12, 2007
> By Len A. Poli "Len Poli" (Sonoma, CA USA) - See all my reviews

<snipped>

Looks good. Now you just need this one too:

<http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-.../0025668609/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267118656&sr=1-1>

:-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Mort > wrote:
>

>>Just ordered a cool book.
>>
>><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...2?pf_rd_m=ATVP
>>DKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1A3MZ41SE267A2GCNGBY&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_ p=493
>>495311&pf_rd_i=typ01>
>>
>>I was on the fence, then read a review by Len Poli which removed any
>>doubt about whether I should get it.
>>
>>I repost the review here for your convenience:
>>
>>20 of 20 people found the following review helpful:
>>5.0 out of 5 stars
>>Polish Sausages, by the Marianski's and Gebarowski, November 12, 2007
>>By Len A. Poli "Len Poli" (Sonoma, CA USA) - See all my reviews

> <snipped>
>
> Looks good. Now you just need this one too:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-.../0025668609/re
> f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267118656&sr=1-1>
>
> :-)

Oh please. That's such a stock answer in this group.

People really need to get beyond that book.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 25, 11:39*am, Mort > wrote:

> Oh please. That's such a stock answer in this group.
>
> People really need to get beyond that book.
>
> Mort

I really loved your suggestion. Very helpful, full of useful
information.

Get a life.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:

> On 2/25/2010 11:51 AM, Mort wrote:
>
>> Just ordered a cool book.

> snip
> When you get it, post the recipe for Kielbasa. I'd like to see the
> differences.

I certainly will.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Mort > wrote:
> >

> >>Just ordered a cool book.
> >>
> >><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...r02?pf_rd_m=AT
> >>VP
> >>DKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1A3MZ41SE267A2GCNGBY&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_ p=4
> >>93
> >>495311&pf_rd_i=typ01>
> >>
> >>I was on the fence, then read a review by Len Poli which removed any
> >>doubt about whether I should get it.
> >>
> >>I repost the review here for your convenience:
> >>
> >>20 of 20 people found the following review helpful:
> >>5.0 out of 5 stars
> >>Polish Sausages, by the Marianski's and Gebarowski, November 12, 2007
> >>By Len A. Poli "Len Poli" (Sonoma, CA USA) - See all my reviews

> > <snipped>
> >
> > Looks good. Now you just need this one too:
> >
> > <http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-.../0025668609/re
> > f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267118656&sr=1-1>
> >
> > :-)

> Oh please. That's such a stock answer in this group.
>
> People really need to get beyond that book.

Hey, it's worked for me!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:
> Just ordered a cool book.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982426720/ref=s9_qpick_co_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s =left-1&pf_rd_r=1A3MZ41SE267A2GCNGBY&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_ p=493495311&pf_rd_i=typ01>
>
> I was on the fence, then read a review by Len Poli which removed any
> doubt about whether I should get it.
>
> I repost the review here for your convenience:

Mort, thanks for the info. and the url. It does look like a good book for
the library.

Just a cautionary note: I would hesitate to copy any direct content from a
website, what with copyright issues and all of that.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Mort > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > <snipped>
>> >
>> > Looks good. Now you just need this one too:
>> >
>> > <http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-.../0025668609/re
>> > f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267118656&sr=1-1>
>> >
>> > :-)

>> Oh please. That's such a stock answer in this group.
>>
>> People really need to get beyond that book.

> Hey, it's worked for me!
> --
> Peace! Om

I have an earlier edition of Rytek Kutas "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
Curing" and I'd sure agree. It's excellent. When I try something in there it
works.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> >> Oh please. That's such a stock answer in this group.
> >>
> >> People really need to get beyond that book.

> > Hey, it's worked for me!
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> I have an earlier edition of Rytek Kutas "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
> Curing" and I'd sure agree. It's excellent. When I try something in there it
> works.
>
> Kent

Thanks...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I have an earlier edition of Rytek Kutas "Great Sausage Recipes and
> Meat Curing" and I'd sure agree. It's excellent. When I try something
> in there it works.

I've gotta ditto that, Om. While it is nice to expand the reference shelf,
that book is still a winner and all-time champion.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Kent wrote:
>
> > I have an earlier edition of Rytek Kutas "Great Sausage Recipes and
> > Meat Curing" and I'd sure agree. It's excellent. When I try something
> > in there it works.

> I've gotta ditto that, Om. While it is nice to expand the reference shelf,
> that book is still a winner and all-time champion.
> --
> Dave

Some people are just closed minded... but I can always use more recipe
ideas in all fairness. :-)

Thanks.

I know that (kutas) liverwurst recipe was a delicious eye opener.
I needed to try to consume more organ meats (including liver) due to an
anemia issue. Vitamin supplements are just that. Supplements. They are
not a substitute for food!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/25/2010 4:03 PM, Dave Bugg wrote:
> Mort wrote:
>> Just ordered a cool book.
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982426720/ref=s9_qpick_co_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s =left-1&pf_rd_r=1A3MZ41SE267A2GCNGBY&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_ p=493495311&pf_rd_i=typ01>
>>
>> I was on the fence, then read a review by Len Poli which removed any
>> doubt about whether I should get it.
>>
>> I repost the review here for your convenience:

> Mort, thanks for the info. and the url. It does look like a good book for
> the library.
>
> Just a cautionary note: I would hesitate to copy any direct content from a
> website, what with copyright issues and all of that.

I can't say legally but excerpts from books/websites when given credit
seemed to be alright in the past, that's why whenever I post another's
recipe I try to make sure to remember to also post the originator
website. Like those folks that get in trouble for plegerism for not
giving credit and making it appear it was their original thought. I
think he'd be OK if he gives credit to the book and author. Just my
thoughts.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>> > I have an earlier edition of Rytek Kutas "Great Sausage
>> > Recipes and
>> > Meat Curing" and I'd sure agree. It's excellent. When I try
>> > something
>> > in there it works.

>> I've gotta ditto that, Om. While it is nice to expand the
>> reference shelf,
>> that book is still a winner and all-time champion.
>> --
>> Dave

> Some people are just closed minded... but I can always use more
> recipe
> ideas in all fairness. :-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> I know that (kutas) liverwurst recipe was a delicious eye
> opener.
> I needed to try to consume more organ meats (including liver)
> due to an
> anemia issue. Vitamin supplements are just that. Supplements.
> They are
> not a substitute for food!
> --
> Peace! Om

For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager <sp?>
and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>

Ball- measurements are made using the Mk 1 eyeball technique:

1 tube liverwurst or braunschwager
1 pack cream cheese, softened
2 large tbsp Kraft mayonnaise
1/2 grated medium sweet yellow onion
1-2 tsp worcestershire sauce

Mix together by hand. Line small SS bowl with Saran wrap and
place mixture inside. Cover in direct contact with mixture using
more Saran wrap and chill for an hour. Invert bowl and gently
remove Saran covering that was bowl liner. Finely mince fresh
chives and pat onto surface of exposed ball, recover with Saran
and place bowl back over top. Invert quickly, tap a few times to
reform shape and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Home made cracker/bread pieces:

Most grocery stores sell and Italian-style bread stick freshly
baked. It's about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter and around 3' long.

Slice the stick into 1/4" or less thick rounds and place on a
baking sheet to dry. In the LV desert, that takes approximately
30 seconds, but in most climates it might take a day on the
counter. When dry:

Brush with a mixture of 1 stick melted butter mixed with 1 tbsp
garlic salt and 1 tsp worcestershire and 1 heaping tsp paprika.
Using a cheese grater, shave about 1/4# Parmesan cheese into very
thin shavings and sprinkle on top the coated bread rounds. Place
under the broiler and WATCH CONTINUALLY until bread just begins to
toast and the cheese melts while retaining the shape of the
shavings. Underdone is better than burned.

Let the bread rounds cool and serve alongside the liverwurst ball.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager <sp?>
> and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
> the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
> seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>
>
> Ball- measurements are made using the Mk 1 eyeball technique:
>
> 1 tube liverwurst or braunschwager
> 1 pack cream cheese, softened
> 2 large tbsp Kraft mayonnaise
> 1/2 grated medium sweet yellow onion
> 1-2 tsp worcestershire sauce
>
> Mix together by hand. Line small SS bowl with Saran wrap and
> place mixture inside. Cover in direct contact with mixture using
> more Saran wrap and chill for an hour. Invert bowl and gently
> remove Saran covering that was bowl liner. Finely mince fresh
> chives and pat onto surface of exposed ball, recover with Saran
> and place bowl back over top. Invert quickly, tap a few times to
> reform shape and refrigerate until ready to serve.
>
> Home made cracker/bread pieces:
>
> Most grocery stores sell and Italian-style bread stick freshly
> baked. It's about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter and around 3' long.
>
> Slice the stick into 1/4" or less thick rounds and place on a
> baking sheet to dry. In the LV desert, that takes approximately
> 30 seconds, but in most climates it might take a day on the
> counter. When dry:
>
> Brush with a mixture of 1 stick melted butter mixed with 1 tbsp
> garlic salt and 1 tsp worcestershire and 1 heaping tsp paprika.
> Using a cheese grater, shave about 1/4# Parmesan cheese into very
> thin shavings and sprinkle on top the coated bread rounds. Place
> under the broiler and WATCH CONTINUALLY until bread just begins to
> toast and the cheese melts while retaining the shape of the
> shavings. Underdone is better than burned.
>
> Let the bread rounds cool and serve alongside the liverwurst ball.
>

> --
> Nonny

Sounds delightful, but I'd probably replace the chives with minced black
olives. ;-d That's how I generally served my cheese balls, but I've
never tried making them with liverwurst!

I love the crouton serving idea...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Nonny" > wrote:
>
>> For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager
>> <sp?>
>> and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
>> the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
>> seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>
>>
>> Ball- measurements are made using the Mk 1 eyeball technique:
>>
>> 1 tube liverwurst or braunschwager
>> 1 pack cream cheese, softened
>> 2 large tbsp Kraft mayonnaise
>> 1/2 grated medium sweet yellow onion
>> 1-2 tsp worcestershire sauce
>>
>> Mix together by hand. Line small SS bowl with Saran wrap and
>> place mixture inside. Cover in direct contact with mixture
>> using
>> more Saran wrap and chill for an hour. Invert bowl and gently
>> remove Saran covering that was bowl liner. Finely mince fresh
>> chives and pat onto surface of exposed ball, recover with Saran
>> and place bowl back over top. Invert quickly, tap a few times
>> reform shape and refrigerate until ready to serve.
>>
>> Home made cracker/bread pieces:
>>
>> Most grocery stores sell and Italian-style bread stick freshly
>> baked. It's about 1-1/2 to 2" in diameter and around 3' long.
>>
>> Slice the stick into 1/4" or less thick rounds and place on a
>> baking sheet to dry. In the LV desert, that takes
>> approximately
>> 30 seconds, but in most climates it might take a day on the
>> counter. When dry:
>>
>> Brush with a mixture of 1 stick melted butter mixed with 1 tbsp
>> garlic salt and 1 tsp worcestershire and 1 heaping tsp paprika.
>> Using a cheese grater, shave about 1/4# Parmesan cheese into
>> very
>> thin shavings and sprinkle on top the coated bread rounds.
>> Place
>> under the broiler and WATCH CONTINUALLY until bread just begins
>> toast and the cheese melts while retaining the shape of the
>> shavings. Underdone is better than burned.
>>
>> Let the bread rounds cool and serve alongside the liverwurst
>> ball.
>>

>> --
>> Nonny

> Sounds delightful, but I'd probably replace the chives with
> minced black
> olives. ;-d That's how I generally served my cheese balls, but
> I've
> never tried making them with liverwurst!

I think I'd maybe try the olive idea with a bite of the ball
before committing to it, but YMMV. When you do, please report back
and let me know how you like it.

We're flying to NC tomorrow to see our daughter, and doing it low
budget on SWA. With only liquor to sustain me on the flight, I
made up a couple sandwiches for Mrs. Nonny and me. Hogie rolls
filled with liverwurst, onion, bibb lettuce and mayo. The smell
alone is worth it on the plane. <grin>

When we return, I'll have a grandson to go with the 2 grandgirls.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> > Sounds delightful, but I'd probably replace the chives with
> > minced black
> > olives. ;-d That's how I generally served my cheese balls, but
> > I've
> > never tried making them with liverwurst!
> >

> I think I'd maybe try the olive idea with a bite of the ball
> before committing to it, but YMMV. When you do, please report back
> and let me know how you like it.

I understand. Minced green olive might go better than black with this
combo.

> We're flying to NC tomorrow to see our daughter, and doing it low
> budget on SWA. With only liquor to sustain me on the flight, I
> made up a couple sandwiches for Mrs. Nonny and me. Hogie rolls
> filled with liverwurst, onion, bibb lettuce and mayo. The smell
> alone is worth it on the plane. <grin>

Yer evil. <snicker>

> When we return, I'll have a grandson to go with the 2 grandgirls.
>
> --
> Nonny

Congrats dude! Seriously. :-) New family members are always awesome.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager <sp?>
> and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
> the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
> seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>

Thanks for the recipe. Heck, I'll get a 'tube' of braunschwieger, cut it
open, and eat it with triskets.

I love liver sausage.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:
>
>> For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager
>> <sp?>
>> and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
>> the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
>> seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>

> Thanks for the recipe. Heck, I'll get a 'tube' of
> braunschwieger, cut it open, and eat it with triskets.
>
> I love liver sausage.

What do you use to differentiate between liverwurst and
braunshauger? I almost consider them interchangeable. The only
difference I've seen is that the braunshauger has more pig snout
to congeal the mix. What have your found?

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nonny" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > Nonny wrote:
> >
> >> For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager
> >> <sp?>
> >> and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
> >> the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
> >> seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>

> > Thanks for the recipe. Heck, I'll get a 'tube' of
> > braunschwieger, cut it open, and eat it with triskets.
> >
> > I love liver sausage.

> What do you use to differentiate between liverwurst and
> braunshauger? I almost consider them interchangeable. The only
> difference I've seen is that the braunshauger has more pig snout
> to congeal the mix. What have your found?

Hey Nonny,

Thanks for the idea! Pig snouts are not available around here except as
dog chews. I was wondering how to improve my liverwurst. While the
flavor is fantastic, the texture is not right, even thru my finest
grinder plate.

I can get calves feet and have pressure cooked those to make calves foot
jelly for dad. I wonder if making those up and adding them to the ground
liver would work? Those or cooked pigs feet? I can debone either one
and cook the stock/jell down, chill it and grind it along with the
liver. I'd just have to either play with the proportions or leave the
jelled liquid totally out and use it as stock unless I also pre-cooked
the liver and just served it cold.

Hmmmm....... literally food for thought. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Nonny wrote:
>>
>>> For a party, we'll get a tube of Liverwurst or Braunschwager
>>> <sp?>
>>> and use it to make a cheese-type ball. The first reaction from
>>> the pickier folk is to turn their noses up, but the ball always
>>> seems to be consumed. . . by someone. <grin>

>> Thanks for the recipe. Heck, I'll get a 'tube' of
>> braunschwieger, cut it open, and eat it with triskets.
>>
>> I love liver sausage.

> What do you use to differentiate between liverwurst and
> braunshauger? I almost consider them interchangeable. The only
> difference I've seen is that the braunshauger has more pig snout
> to congeal the mix. What have your found?

I never thought about it, Nonny. I guess I don't recall much difference at
all. It's all good to me :-)

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/26/2010 5:51 PM, Nonny wrote:
snip
> When we return, I'll have a grandson to go with the 2 grandgirls.

You must be pumped up! Congrats gramps!