Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Horrors: Crockpot Pulled Pork??

It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining and
rub. I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in a
crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid smoke in
a crockpot?

What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp. without
a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The brine was
2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other ingredients and the rub
is fairly salty.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Kent
--
,constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining
> and rub. I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in
> a crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid smoke
> in a crockpot?

Yeah. Ask over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
at rec.food.cooking. They just love crockpots and liquid smoke.

> What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp.
> without a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The
> brine was 2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other ingredients
> and the rub is fairly salty.

What? You gave up brining on your carport? Why? It worked so well for you
in the past.

> Thanks for any thoughts,

Get a real smoker and smoke it out there in the rain. You'd have to be
there, what? 5 minutes?

> Kent
> --
> ,constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

well, at least you will admit it, now

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining
> and rub. I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in
> a crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid smoke
> in a crockpot?
>
> What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp.
> without a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The
> brine was 2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other ingredients
> and the rub is fairly salty.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Kent

I don't think it will spoil with that much salt, but it may be overly salty
if it goes too long. I'd oven roast it in a pan deep enough catch the fat
because I don't own a crock pot.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kelvin" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining
>> and rub. I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in
>> a crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid
>> smoke in a crockpot?

> Yeah. Ask over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> at rec.food.cooking. They just love crockpots and liquid smoke.
>>
>> What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp.
>> without a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The
>> brine was 2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other
>> ingredients and the rub is fairly salty.

> What? You gave up brining on your carport? Why? It worked so well for
> you in the past.
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts,

> Get a real smoker and smoke it out there in the rain. You'd have to be
> there, what? 5 minutes?
>>
>> Kent
>> --
>> ,constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

> well, at least you will admit it, now

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. I guess what said no to me was getting the
coals going in this weather.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/21/2010 2:22 PM, Kent wrote:
> It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining and
> rub. I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in a
> crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid smoke in
> a crockpot?
>
> What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp. without
> a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The brine was
> 2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other ingredients and the rub
> is fairly salty.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Kent

Why not roast in oven?

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:22:02 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining and
>rub. I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in a
>crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid smoke in
>a crockpot?
>
>What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp. without
>a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The brine was
>2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other ingredients and the rub
>is fairly salty.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts,
>
>Kent

Ah, my favorite cook. Here's what I do. First, you know it's not
real BBQ. We all know BBQ is smoke cooking. That said, here's what I
do. I love kalua pig. Being from Hawaii kalua pig is *da grind!!*
But since all the Hawaiian BBQ joints sprouting up every 1000 feet or
so cannot sell real in-da-imu-kind pig they have to use an oven. I
suppose a crock pot is an oven except it uses terra cotta instead of
steel.
For a different pig cook go to any Asian or Hispanic market and get
yourself some banana leaves. They can be found in the freezer
section. Put the leaves in water to soften them up and wrap your
roast in a couple of layers. I usually use any dry rub I can come up
with at the moment. Place the roast in the pot, add about 1 cup water
and about 2 tbs of liquid smoke. The secret here is to just use a
little of the smoke. Too much can ruin the roast. I usually turn on
the heat around 10pm and pull around 7 or 8 the next morning. If I
get up in the middle of the night I flip the roast over once.
If you want the roast for dinner, start the cook around 10am and pull
arount 6pm.
O da ono!
ps forget the brine
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 21, 4:08*pm, piedmont > wrote:

> Why not roast in oven?

Yup. Put the rub on, put it in a roasting pan, and render that bad
boy out at about 250F.

The last 1/2 hour, 45 minutes, crank it up to about 400 to get a bit
of faux bark.

Bad weather should never keep you away from good pig.

OTOH, I use my WSM in cold wet weather, rain, blowing rain, etc. The
only thing I need is a place to start the chminey. If your WSM is
well used, it will have enough baked on insulation inside to let you
get it regulated with no problems.

About three weeks ago I did a brisket in 40 degree weather with off
and on blowing rain (it was only sprinkling when I started). I
started the chimney on the front porch, and walked it around the house
to the back when it was going.

Poured on the coals, put in the mid section, and let it catch. When
it was going, put the sand/pan in, one rack, brisket, and lid.

The only difference was that it took longer to cook, about an hour a
pound at 250F after it got to temps.

The WSM will take care of you if you know how to use it.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 24, 9:21 am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> 40? Wahh. Any cooker will run at 40. Crap, it's 8 degrees here right now.
> I'm havng trouble sympathizing.. ;-)

You have made fun of me before for thinking it was cold when it isn't
by most standards. OK.... so you live in the frozen tundra of Kansas,
I live in sunny South Texas.

But damnit, it's cold here!! This is South Texas!! I don't even own
a heavy coat, and I work outside!

We usually don't get but a handful of actual freezes a year down here,
and sometimes it doesn't freeze all winter.

What got me about the actual day I was referring to in my post was the
wind. It was off and on about 35 mph gusts (next front coming) and on
occasion I thought it would blow the WSM over. I think if it had not
had the brisket in it, it would have gone over. So the wind was the
big concern.

It isn't ever bad enough to have to put a water heater blanket on the
WSM, but I have used a welder's blanket on my Chargriller, and it
worked great.

Something that I noticed after a season or two with the WSM was how
little fuel it used in the dead of summer. When it is 100+ degrees
outside, I have the lower vents closed to the thickness of a 8d nail.
In other words, almost closed. With the cooker in direct sunlight,
There is a lot of fuel left over from a 12 hours smoke.

It is almost like using an oven anymore. I am now going on my 4th
year with that rascal, and just about every time I use it I wonder why
it took me so long to get it.

I am getting excited as we are getting into prime smoking season.
Mild days (50s - 60s) and cool nights (40s). I is one helluva lot
more fun now than it is in 100+ degree days and 88 degree nights if
summer.

Although in the summer the beer does taste better off the ice....

In fact I did my first racks of pork loin ribs of the year for company
just this last weekend over mesquite/oak Arrow on the WSM.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 24, 8:14*am, piedmont > wrote:
> On 2/24/2010 4:32 AM, wrote:
> snip
>
> > The WSM will take care of you if you know how to use it.

> > Robert

> That's exactly what I tell my wife each night as we go to bed!

Wayyyyy to much room for interpretation on that one, Mike!

I'll let that one go....

;^)

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> As for the WSM, if you're having any issues with ambient temp, go get
> some of that insulation they use for water heaters and wrap it up. It
> works great.

Yup, insulated blankets can be a big help. One of the things I appreciate
about ceramic pits, the cold don't phase them a bit. Of course, one may buy
a few blankets and WSMs for the cost of a kamado of any model.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 24, 7:05 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> > With the cooker in direct sunlight,
> > There is a lot of fuel left over from a 12 hours smoke.

> > It is almost like using an oven anymore. I am now going on my 4th
> > year with that rascal, and just about every time I use it I wonder why
> > it took me so long to get it.

> And I bet the dampers are open wide to get the desired temps when it's both
> "cold" and windy. It just takes more fuel to get the same result, and you
> can do that successfully because the WSM, small though it is, is still a
> precision piece of equipment.

Precision it is indeed. But even with the 35 mph gusts and constant
20 mph breeze, I didn't open the lower vents more than about 1/4 of
the way. With the fire properly lit, it just happily burns away with
the slightest little adjusments.

The most they have ever been open was about halfway when I was cooking
with about 1/2 seasoned oak in the fire ring, and the wood required
more airflow. I didn't like the output as it was too smokey so I
didn't do that much wood again.

The only time I ever close the top vent is when I am finished cooking.

> If you want to run a WSM at temps below 10F, you pretty much have to wrap it
> and get it out of the wind, or you'll be cooking forever.

Yeah, right. That won't EVER happen. First of all, we won't ever see
10F around here. It has sneaked down there a few times, but none in
recent memories.

Besides, cold weather is when I work on my Mexican food recipes. I
just about have my pozole where I want it.

> When summer comes and I complain that we had a weeklong hot streak near
> 100F, you can tell me wah. I deserve it. <g>

Go ahead... I dare you... complain!

> > In fact I did my first racks of pork loin ribs of the year for company
> > just this last weekend over mesquite/oak Arrow on the WSM.

> Did ya save me some?

I called a couple of times, and you weren't home, so we ate it all.
Ribs, garlic/dill mashed potatoes with real bacon bits and carmelized
onions, and a pot of beans with brisket ends floating around in them.
It's all gone....

;^)

Now it's your turn. Don't forget the suds.

Robert

(P.S.: When I come by, please make sure you have Shiner Beer's newest
small brew offering, called Fröst Ale. Mighty fine, and only
seasonal.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 25, 3:17 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:
> said:
>
> > (P.S.: When I come by, please make sure you have Shiner Beer's newest
> > small brew offering, called Fröst Ale. Mighty fine, and only
> > seasonal.)

> If you say it's good I'll see if I can find it around here. But I'll also be
> looking in your fridge for some Boulevard Lunar Ale.

I'll take a look for the BLA. We only have a couple of stores that
have off brand stuff, and sadly, they have more brews than the big
liquor stores. They are probably my only chance.

The Shiner Fröst Ale is very light, and great ice cold. It says on
the 12 pack that it was developed for thirsty coal miners to drink
after a hard day in the mines. I think that means it is lighter than
some of their offerings. Lighter brews aren't usually my taste, but
at this point I will try just about anything that Shiner is putting
out. This one hits the mark well.

Since they are making "one offs" and seasonal brews now, it makes it a
lot more fun to go the grocery store.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 21, 2:22*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> It's raining. The bone in shoulder roast is in its 96th hour of brining and
> rub. *I don't think I should wait any longer. I'm going to cook it in a
> crockpot. Do any have susggestions about this? Have you put liquid smoke in
> a crockpot?
>
> What is the longest time you've brined and held a rub at frig. temp. without
> a problem? Can I hold the meat longer without spoiling it. The brine was
> 2oz[by vol] salt to a quart of water, plus the other ingredients and the rub
> is fairly salty.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Kent
> --
> ,constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

How much rub stuck around after you brined it for 96 hours?

Cam