Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wood vs propane

Almost as provocative as Religion & Politics!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/18/2010 11:37 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Almost as provocative as Religion& Politics!

Propane is great!, for my turkey fryer burner or for operating
Fork-Lifts or your kitchen oven, but that's about it.

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Propane is still unexplored territory to me. I have a propane camp
stove, but that's it.

I just started with charcoal and lump about ten years ago. Until
then, I never cooked over anything but oak and mesquite.

I thought that anyone that cooked over anything but a proper wood fire
should just stay inside and use their oven and liquid smoke. I am no
more mellow. I don't care what other folks do as long as they are
happy.

Propane is still pretty far off from my interest, as is electric
smoking.

I am not bagging on anyone that uses the fuel or method of their
choice, it's just a difference of opinion.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19 Feb 2010 04:37:47 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Almost as provocative as Religion & Politics!

My first Q'r was the NBBD. Charcoal only. Then I discovered the K7
and this time wood only. Still have the handy Weber kettle which uses
mesquite, mostly for the steaks. Have the WSM for quickies using
mesquite also. The Caja China - briquettes only. (doesn't cook
directly, it's used only to give off heat)
Propane only for Holiday Rambler trailer to heat inside and to cook on
the stove.
That's it.
Oh, the Oakley house has propane only for heating the house. And for
the stove too. But the propane people want me to dig an 18 inch deep
ditch from the tank which is in the front yard all the way to the back
of the house, a distance of about 75 feet. There is no way I'll do
that. So off to Home Depot.
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Eddie wrote:

> Oh, the Oakley house has propane only for heating the house. And for
> the stove too. But the propane people want me to dig an 18 inch deep
> ditch from the tank which is in the front yard all the way to the back
> of the house, a distance of about 75 feet. There is no way I'll do
> that. So off to Home Depot.

Get the utitilty companies to mark runs and go rent a trencher. Providing
there are no utilities in the way that will take you about an hour and cost
somewhere around $80.

18" is to get below the frost line. If somethign "bad" happens and it is
tied back to your "Home Depot" job then your insurance will not pay.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
" > wrote:

> Propane is still unexplored territory to me. I have a propane camp
> stove, but that's it.

Same here.

> I just started with charcoal and lump about ten years ago. Until
> then, I never cooked over anything but oak and mesquite.

I've cooked over briquets (sacrilege I know!), wood (several types, my
preference is Mimosa when I can get it) but I've also cooked over lump
charcoal. I tend to be on the cheap side tho' and I can get all the
wood I want/need for free from deadfall in my own yard, so why pay for
charcoal? ;-)

I did recently purchase a small bag of lump tho' for my little cast iron
Japanese hibachi.

> I thought that anyone that cooked over anything but a proper wood fire
> should just stay inside and use their oven and liquid smoke. I am no
> more mellow. I don't care what other folks do as long as they are
> happy.
>
> Propane is still pretty far off from my interest, as is electric
> smoking.
>
> I am not bagging on anyone that uses the fuel or method of their
> choice, it's just a difference of opinion.
>
> Robert

Yeah. To each their own but to date, I'm giving propane a pass.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:24:33 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I did recently purchase a small bag of lump tho' for my little cast iron
>Japanese hibachi.

<g>

Yeah, sweetie got me a Lodge camping grill??? which is basically a
cast-iron hibachi.

I love it, except that it rusts like crazy, since I live just off
Puget Sound. It also makes me hungry for a full-sized Weber kettle.
;-)

I have a propane grill too, and like it very well. Not the same as
smoke, but I don't always want smoke accents in my food either. And
the propane is certainly less tempermental.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Desideria > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:24:33 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>

> >I did recently purchase a small bag of lump tho' for my little cast iron
> >Japanese hibachi.
> >

> <g>
>
> Yeah, sweetie got me a Lodge camping grill??? which is basically a
> cast-iron hibachi.

I want one of those! Mine is much, much smaller. Similar to this one
(about 8" across" but has a wood handle:

http://tinyurl.com/yztqhl5

> I love it, except that it rusts like crazy, since I live just off
> Puget Sound. It also makes me hungry for a full-sized Weber kettle.
> ;-)

Just treat it like any other cast iron and oil it between uses! I've
had no trouble with rust.

> I have a propane grill too, and like it very well. Not the same as
> smoke, but I don't always want smoke accents in my food either. And
> the propane is certainly less tempermental.
>

> Desideria

I can just cook on an electric hot plate if I don't want smoke. <g>
I can get a grilled flavor using the electric contact grill (similar to
a Foreman) or my new convection/toaster oven set on "broil".
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Yeah. To each their own but to date, I'm giving propane a pass.

Omelet, you tell'n us you're passing gas?

<<<< Craig ducks and runs>>>>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:50:55 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Desideria > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:24:33 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I did recently purchase a small bag of lump tho' for my little cast iron
>> >Japanese hibachi.
>> >

>> <g>
>>
>> Yeah, sweetie got me a Lodge camping grill??? which is basically a
>> cast-iron hibachi.

>I want one of those! Mine is much, much smaller. Similar to this one
>(about 8" across" but has a wood handle:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/yztqhl5
>

>> I love it, except that it rusts like crazy, since I live just off
>> Puget Sound. It also makes me hungry for a full-sized Weber kettle.
>> ;-)

>Just treat it like any other cast iron and oil it between uses! I've
>had no trouble with rust.

I do, Omelet. It rusts on the outside, on the inside, on the
grates...I'm within a few hundred feet of salt water.

My Weber stainless grill rusts here, too.

>> I have a propane grill too, and like it very well. Not the same as
>> smoke, but I don't always want smoke accents in my food either. And
>> the propane is certainly less tempermental.
>>

>> Desideria

>I can just cook on an electric hot plate if I don't want smoke. <g>
>I can get a grilled flavor using the electric contact grill (similar to
>a Foreman) or my new convection/toaster oven set on "broil".

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Craig Watts > wrote:

> > Yeah. To each their own but to date, I'm giving propane a pass.

> Omelet, you tell'n us you're passing gas?
>

> <<<< Craig ducks and runs>>>>

I'm passing on the gas. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Desideria" wrote...
> I have a propane grill too, and like it very well. Not the same as
> smoke, but I don't always want smoke accents in my food either. And
> the propane is certainly less tempermental.
>

> Desideria

It's all in your fuel and fire control. I can bake cookies and cakes in my
smoker(s) with no smoke taste at all. Learn fire control, and you'll give
up on your oven in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/20/2010 12:35 PM, Desideria wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:24:33 -0600, >
> wrote:
>

>> I did recently purchase a small bag of lump tho' for my little cast iron
>> Japanese hibachi.
>>

> <g>
>
> Yeah, sweetie got me a Lodge camping grill??? which is basically a
> cast-iron hibachi.
>
> I love it, except that it rusts like crazy, since I live just off
> Puget Sound. It also makes me hungry for a full-sized Weber kettle.
> ;-)
>
> I have a propane grill too, and like it very well. Not the same as
> smoke, but I don't always want smoke accents in my food either. And
> the propane is certainly less tempermental.
>

> Desideria

My Walmart here is Carolina's have large 22.5 inch weber silvers for $85.00

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:39:35 -0500, piedmont >
wrote:

>My Walmart here is Carolina's have large 22.5 inch weber silvers for $85.00

When my last kettle went to Weber heaven I went straight to the flea
market and got one for $20.
As long as it's got good legs, a good handle on the cover and the
cover fits snuggly there is no difference between a $20 kettle from
the $85 kettle.
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 00:51:56 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Eddie wrote:
>
>> Oh, the Oakley house has propane only for heating the house. And for
>> the stove too. But the propane people want me to dig an 18 inch deep
>> ditch from the tank which is in the front yard all the way to the back
>> of the house, a distance of about 75 feet. There is no way I'll do
>> that. So off to Home Depot.

>Get the utitilty companies to mark runs and go rent a trencher. Providing
>there are no utilities in the way that will take you about an hour and cost
>somewhere around $80.

I got a young man to do it for $40. Two hours work more or less. The
soil is very soft due to rains and type of soil. Strangely, but we
found some black steel lines going from my house to my next door
neighbor's house. I called him over and he had no idea what they
were. The gas pipe will go underneath them with no problem.

>18" is to get below the frost line. If somethign "bad" happens and it is
>tied back to your "Home Depot" job then your insurance will not pay.

There is no frost in Oakley. I have no idea why it has to be 18
inches deep.
Monday I call the propane people to hook up the house.
Eddie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19 Feb 2010 04:37:47 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> Almost as provocative as Religion & Politics!

Why haven't they developed a propane with liquid smoke in it?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:29:48 -0800, Eddie >
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 00:51:56 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:
>
>>Eddie wrote:
>>

>I got a young man to do it for $40. Two hours work more or less. The
>soil is very soft due to rains and type of soil. Strangely, but we
>found some black steel lines going from my house to my next door
>neighbor's house. I called him over and he had no idea what they
>were. The gas pipe will go underneath them with no problem.
>>
>>18" is to get below the frost line. If somethign "bad" happens and it is
>>tied back to your "Home Depot" job then your insurance will not pay.

>There is no frost in Oakley. I have no idea why it has to be 18
>inches deep.
>Monday I call the propane people to hook up the house.
>Eddie

Correction: - -*four hours more or less* Not two hours.
Eddie