Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Just letting you know I'm here

Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
other unrelated posts. Talk to you later
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1/24/2010 12:33 PM, Sosios wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

Hello back, welcome and feel free to participate and ask questions as
needed.

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> On 1/24/2010 12:33 PM, Sosios wrote:
>> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
>> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
>> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

> Hello back, welcome and feel free to participate and ask questions as
> needed.

and take everything with a grain of salt (and some granulated garlic and
onion).

And, with all forums, ignore the threads that get, well, you know.

What have you grilled or BBQ'd lately? What are you interested in doing?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 24, 9:33*am, Sosios > wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

Check out the great FAQ, I was amazed at it's depth. It's a wonderful
collection of know how and how-to along with a plethora (yes,
plethora) of recipes.

Copied from the original:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...479f177968d e

You can get a copy of the latest BBQ List FAQ
in one of the following ways:

1) Vince Vielhaber has set up an email autoresponder.

Send email to:

and you'll get the ascii text version, zipped up, by return
email.

Send mail to:

and you'll get the ascii text version in a self extracting zip
file
by return email.

and you'll get a straight ascii version, not zipped.

and you will get the MS Word 6.0 version in a self-extracting
zip file
by return mail.

Leave the subject and message body blank.

2) You can also get the BBQ List FAQ by visiting Vince's Web
site:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

You can download several different formats of the FAQ here.

You can also view the FAQ in HTML format he

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq

3) You can read the FAQ on Dan Gill's Barbecue Survival Guide
Web
page at:

http://members.tripod.com/~DanGill/Survive.HTML

4) Alex Baker has Word 6.0 and Adobe Acrobat versions of the
FAQ available for downloading.

His Web site is http://www.calweb.com/~ambaker/bbqfaq.html

Or you can get them directly via ftp by:

ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-word.zip
ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-10.doc
ftp://ftp.calweb.com/users/a/ambaker/faq-acro.pdf

Alex also has a link to download the Adobe Acrobat viewer.
The Acrobat version of the FAQ has internal links from the
Table of Contents to the respective sections in the document.

For those of you who do not have MS Word 6.0 or 7.0 or Word 97 who
wish to read
the FAQ in Word format, you can download the MS Word Viewer from
Microsoft for
free. The Word viewer will allow you to view MS Word documents and
print
them, but not edit them or create new documents.

Here's how to get it:

Set your Web browser to:

http://www.microsoft.com/msword/internet/viewer/

and select the version for the Windows operating system you have:

The 97 version for Win95 and the 16-bit version for Win3.1x

Bill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
On Jan 24, 9:33 am, Sosios > wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

Check out the great FAQ, I was amazed at it's depth. It's a wonderful
collection of know how and how-to along with a plethora (yes,
plethora) of recipes.

Plethora is best smoked, no?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 24, 1:23*pm, "Wallace" > wrote:
> "Tutall" > wrote in message

> On Jan 24, 9:33 am, Sosios > wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> > forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> > other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

> Check out the great FAQ, I was amazed at it's depth. It's a wonderful
> collection of know how and how-to along with a plethora (yes,
> plethora) of recipes.
>
> Plethora is best smoked, no?

Well, considering that that's illegal in 49 states, I wouldn't suggest
it.
And there's seasonality to consider too, in winter there's a dearth of
plethora. So you won't find any on your winter snipe hunt.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sosios > wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

Hi Sosios. Welcome. What do you grill or BBQ? What part of the world are
you in?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> > On 1/24/2010 12:33 PM, Sosios wrote:
> >> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> >> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> >> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

Also, check out the a.f.b FAQ http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sosios wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

You will find the folks here to be amazingly talented and extremely
helpful. I have.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:37:13 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Sosios wrote:
>> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
>> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
>> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

>You will find the folks here to be amazingly talented and extremely
>helpful. I have.

That may be true, but Sosios will never be heard from again. Similar
messages have been posted in a half dozen groups from different emails
in the past few months. The all the same "I'm new here" routine and
gone. I have to wonder if they are trying to harvest email addresses
or just trying to see if the group is active for spam at a later date.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
<snip>
>> You will find the folks here to be amazingly talented and extremely
>> helpful. I have.

> That may be true, but Sosios will never be heard from again.

Oh sure "he" will be... in a few days when his spam post appears. Sadly,
people will probably reply to that as well...

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:33:57 -0800 (PST), Sosios wrote:

> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
annoying damn posts?

They all pretty much say the same thing, and almost all of them
contain the phrase "looking forward .. hearing/learning about...".

I'm sure they're all from different people (rather then some bored
troll). They're from all over the world and they've been increasing
in numbers/frequency for a couple years across all the groups. They
have no history of postings, nor any future posts.

I figure it's from a Internet or ESL book or a lesson plan that's
been translated into a bunch of languages (unlikely). Or maybe it's
a form of therapy suggested by doctors for some sort of mental
disorder or depression (a condition worse than "Chronic Usenet
Posting").

(Cross-posted to NSR, where its also OT but maybe a little more
clueful).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Sqwertz > wrote:

> Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
> annoying damn posts?

Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the Message-ID:
googlegroups, would put an end to 95% of your annoyances.

--
dee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 25, 12:50*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Sosios > wrote:
> > Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> > forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> > other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

> Hi Sosios. Welcome. What do you grill or BBQ? What part of the world are
> you in?

Hey I grill whatevers available at the given time from Norway

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 25, 3:53*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:37:13 -0600, Janet Wilder
>
> > wrote:
> >Sosios wrote:
> >> Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> >> forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> >> other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

> >You will find the folks here to be amazingly talented and extremely
> >helpful. I have.

> That may be true, but Sosios will never be heard from again. *Similar
> messages have been posted in a half dozen groups from different emails
> in the past few months. *The all the same "I'm new here" routine and
> gone. *I have to wonder if they are trying to harvest email addresses
> or just trying to see if the group is active for spam at a later date.

hehe, dont be so sure about that. I'm here to stay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 25, 4:20*am, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> You will find the folks here to be amazingly talented and extremely
> >> helpful. I have.

> > That may be true, but Sosios will never be heard from again. *

> Oh sure "he" will be... in a few days when his spam post appears. Sadly,
> people will probably reply to that as well...
>
> --
> Steve

Hehe. You people have no faith in humanity. I'm not here to spam
anything. I dont know why everyone thinks I'm a spammer though
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

On Jan 24, 8:51*pm, Mike Dee > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
> > annoying damn posts?

> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the Message-ID:
> googlegroups, would put an end to 95% of your annoyances.
>
> --
> dee

I resemble that remark!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25 Jan 2010 05:51:17 +0100, Mike Dee >
wrote:

>Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
>> annoying damn posts?

>Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the Message-ID:
>googlegroups, would put an end to 95% of your annoyances.

It might put and end to your seeing my posts too, if 'Google Groups'
also filters gmail addresses.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Tutall > wrote:

> On Jan 24, 8:51*pm, Mike Dee > wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> > Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
>> > annoying damn posts?

>> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the
>> annoyances.

> I resemble that remark!

Perhaps, but the one or two clued up G2 posters don't make up for
the abuse.

Those few that don't abuse googlegroups (I'm assuming like yourself)
can easily be put into "white-list" if using use a half-decent
newsreader.

--
dee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

On Jan 24, 10:12*pm, Mike Dee > wrote:
> Tutall > wrote:

> >> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the
> >> annoyances.

> > I resemble that remark!

> Perhaps, but the one or two clued up G2 posters don't make up for
> the abuse.

There are groups where that'd be true. But most of those succumbed to
the spammers long ago.
Here, and even more so in the RFC group, the spam is minimal. No
shotgun type of filter needed.
If and when a group requires that much filtering? Call the priest,
it's dead..

You have to have really low tolerances to use such a blanket filter as
that. I'm not aware of groups that these posters effect at any rate.
Maybe they are bad somewhere, but I've not seen it. Have examples?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Tutall > wrote:

> You have to have really low tolerances to use such a blanket
> filter as that. I'm not aware of groups that these posters effect
> at any rate. Maybe they are bad somewhere, but I've not seen it.
> Have examples?

Go google it ;-)

--
dee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Bada bing Tutall > bada bang:
> On Jan 24, 10:12*pm, Mike Dee > wrote:
>> Tutall > wrote:

>> > I resemble that remark!

>> Perhaps, but the one or two clued up G2 posters don't make up for
>> the abuse.

> There are groups where that'd be true. But most of those succumbed to
> the spammers long ago.
> Here, and even more so in the RFC group, the spam is minimal. No
> shotgun type of filter needed.
> If and when a group requires that much filtering? Call the priest,
> it's dead..

No the group isn't dead, just hidden in the signal to noise
ration.

> You have to have really low tolerances to use such a blanket filter as
> that. I'm not aware of groups that these posters effect at any rate.
> Maybe they are bad somewhere, but I've not seen it. Have examples?

Allowing original posts from GG gives a s/n of about -30
decibels. Note that allowing replies from GG gives a much better
ratio.

Mike "and eliminates drive-bys" Yetto
In practice they are not.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm sure they're all from different people (rather then some bored
> troll). They're from all over the world and they've been increasing
> in numbers/frequency for a couple years across all the groups. They
> have no history of postings, nor any future posts.

Figures. The one in 200+ posts I chose to respond to, the guy actually
does come back! Probably just to spite me, no doubt ;-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Mike Dee wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
>> annoying damn posts?

> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the Message-ID:
> googlegroups, would put an end to 95% of your annoyances.

I'm a big fan of killfiling Google. For me, the thread is killfiled when
started by a Googleposter. But a followup by a non-Googleposter will
unignore the thread,. This solves 95% of the problem (obvious Googlespam).

But that wasn't the question.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Mike Dee wrote:
> > wrote:

>>> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the
>>> annoyances.

>> I resemble that remark!

> Perhaps, but the one or two clued up G2 posters don't make up for
> the abuse.
>
> Those few that don't abuse googlegroups (I'm assuming like yourself)
> can easily be put into "white-list" if using use a half-decent
> newsreader.

The best solution is something available in Dialog, at least.

Unselect "Watch/Ignore works on subthreads"
Score all googleposts with -1 (or worse)
Select "Ignore posts with negative score"
Set your view to "not ignored" "Show all posts in thread"

What this boils down to is "Ignore all threads consisting of only
Googlposters". Which is a good trade-off between the maintenance of a
white-list and the killfiling of most spam.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2010 05:51:17 +0100, Mike >
> wrote:
>
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know for sure the source of all these increasingly
>>> annoying damn posts?

>> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the Message-ID:
>> googlegroups, would put an end to 95% of your annoyances.

> It might put and end to your seeing my posts too, if 'Google Groups'
> also filters gmail addresses.

That's a decision you've made. You can easily change that to something
like ".

Some newsreader don't offer a way to killfile Googleposters except by
identifying likely Googleposters by their gmail address.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> <snip>
>>> You will find the folks here to be amazingly talented and extremely
>>> helpful. I have.

>> That may be true, but Sosios will never be heard from again.

> Oh sure "he" will be... in a few days when his spam post appears. Sadly,
> people will probably reply to that as well...

I just don't see any logic at all in this argument. Assuming he didn't
post followups, there is just no sense manually harvesting email addresses
like this when you can have a computer harvest them automatically for free
and obtain 500x as many valid addresses.

You can also harvest the activity of the group using any news service
automatically. There's no reason to post to it to "test the waters".

I emailed him when I thought he wasn't going to return. I asked him why
he posted in the first place just because I was curious. So we;ll see if
*I* get any spam.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sosios wrote:

> hehe, dont be so sure about that. I'm here to stay

You are the first person I've seen who had that "signature post" that
included all the key words that send up red flags for some of us.

I emailed you out of genuine curiosity. Wasn't trying to be a dick (or
whatever they call it in Norway ;-)

So, tell us about smoked whale meat.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>

>>> That may be true, but Sosios will never be heard from again.

>> Oh sure "he" will be... in a few days when his spam post appears. Sadly,
>> people will probably reply to that as well...

> I just don't see any logic at all in this argument. Assuming he didn't
> post followups, there is just no sense manually harvesting email
> addresses like this when you can have a computer harvest them
> automatically for free and obtain 500x as many valid addresses.
>
> You can also harvest the activity of the group using any news service
> automatically. There's no reason to post to it to "test the waters".
>
> I emailed him when I thought he wasn't going to return. I asked him why
> he posted in the first place just because I was curious. So we;ll see
> if *I* get any spam.
>
> -sw

huh? what arguement? I was just stating that when the spam post with
link appears that people will reply to it like trained sock puppets.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sosios > wrote:
> On Jan 25, 12:50=A0am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Sosios > wrote:
> > > Hey everyone. I'm new here so just wanted to say hello. Looking
> > > forward to hearing about your grilling and cooking experiences or
> > > other unrelated posts. Talk to you later

> > Hi Sosios. Welcome. What do you grill or BBQ? What part of the world
> > are you in?

> Hey I grill whatevers available at the given time from Norway

Are you one of these? LMAO

http://img5.tinypic.info/files/5dcez1wzlujgkisistm7.jpg

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Mike Dee wrote:

[...]
> [...]

[...]
> The best solution is something available in Dialog, at least.
>
> Unselect "Watch/Ignore works on subthreads"
> Score all googleposts with -1 (or worse)
> Select "Ignore posts with negative score"
> Set your view to "not ignored" "Show all posts in thread"
>
> What this boils down to is "Ignore all threads consisting of only
> Googlposters". Which is a good trade-off between the maintenance of a
> white-list and the killfiling of most spam.

Setting a kill file on "Message-ID: googlegroups" does exactly what you
just described. Kills only the messenger. Embellishing this further with
a white-list is only an after-thought ;-)

I do tend to up-score responses to GG posts tho' so that I can be
alerted beforehand that a response is to a GG post. Usually the Subject
header gives a good clue at that point on whether or not to go into the
thread.

That is; I must've been bored to have opened your xposted OP. :-)

--
dee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:15:22 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Desideria wrote:

>>> Setting a kill file on (the "googlegroups" portion) of the Message-ID:
>>> googlegroups, would put an end to 95% of your annoyances.

>> It might put and end to your seeing my posts too, if 'Google Groups'
>> also filters gmail addresses.

>That's a decision you've made. You can easily change that to something
>like ".
>
>Some newsreader don't offer a way to killfile Googleposters except by
>identifying likely Googleposters by their gmail address.
>
>-sw

Sqwertz, maybe it's my low-tech skills but I haven't found any way to
munge my email.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

Default  How I ( Jeff Relf ) raise Usenet's signal·to·noise ratio.

<PRE>
Scoring posts from Google is nuts.

Here's a <A hRef="http://jeffrelf.f-m.fm/Authors; from Most·to·Least Engaging .PNG">screen·shot</A> of My hand rolled news·reader <A href="http://jeffrelf.f-m.fm/X.EXE">X.EXE*</A>
displaying recent ( Jan 25^th, 2010 ) News.Software.Readers Authors;
from Most·to·Least Engaging ( i.e. by xRank ).
[ *: X.EXE needs the <A href="http://jeffrelf.f-m.fm/DejaVuSansMono.TTF">DejaVuSansMono.TTF</A> font
and it won't run under Aero; you have to change your Theme
from Vista Aero to Windows Classic ( or Windows Vista Basic )
and uncheck Enable Transparency at Windows Color and Appearance.
( right-click your desktop and go to Personalize ) ]

To raise the signal·to·noise ratio,
I Join, Visit, Limit and Avoid authors.

First, I read all replies to me, no matter who it is.

Second, I read all replies to the authors I've Joined*.
[ *: this is similar to how I read all replies to me expect
it doesn't include avoided authors. ]

For examples, see X.EXE's settings·file: <A href="http://jeffrelf.f-m.fm/X.TXT">X.TXT</A>.

Third, I read all posts from authors I'm Visiting.

Fourth, I avoid* certain authors by
auotmatically marking nearly all of their posts Was·Read.
[ *: yet I read replies from them and, at times, I reply back ]

Everyone else is Limited*.
[ *: all but their last 5 posts are automatically marked ·Was·Read· and
posts older than 24 hours are automatically marked Was·Read and,
if they haven't posted in the last 9 days, they're 100% dropped.

No author can have more than 30 Was·Read posts. ]

Limited authors are sorted by xRank* (like Google's Page·Rank);
where Message-IDs are the links/votes pointing to Author·Pages.
[ *: i.e. from Most·to·Least Engaging ]

Traversing all threads (i.e. every path in the root/tree), generally,
the higher a author's xRank the more often its posts are encountered;
however, ancestors endow descendants and vise versa (it goes both ways).

The weight (a.k.a. xRank/vote) each descendant gives its ancestors
diminishes with cross·posting and generational·distance.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

On Jan 25, 6:57*pm, Mike Yetto > wrote:

> I thought I was being clever by only filtering GG on the first
> post but not replies. *Was I deluding myself, or are we (tinw)
> all very clever?
>
> Mike "guess which one I choose" Yetto

Yes to both?

<eg>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 25, 5:36*pm, Desideria > wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:15:22 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

> >Desideria wrote:

> >> It might put and end to your seeing my posts too, if 'Google Groups'
> >> also filters gmail addresses.

> >That's a decision you've made. *You can easily change that to something
> >like ".

> >Some newsreader don't offer a way to killfile Googleposters except by
> >identifying likely Googleposters by their gmail address.

> >-sw

> Sqwertz, maybe it's my low-tech skills but I haven't found any way to
> munge my email.
>
> Desideria- Hide quoted text -

You're using Forte Agent, so you can do it, patience. Browsing through
your options will not only show you how to do this, but quite a few
other useful things I expect. Pour yourself your libation of choice
and set aside 10 minutes to go through it. It's fun and rewarding.

Okay, fun for some anyway, so give it a try. Forte's help function is
pretty robust too if you tire of that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:10:39 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Oh sure "he" will be... in a few days when his spam post appears. Sadly,
>>> people will probably reply to that as well...

>> I just don't see any logic at all in this argument. Assuming he didn't
>> post followups, there is just no sense manually harvesting email
>> addresses like this when you can have a computer harvest them
>> automatically for free and obtain 500x as many valid addresses.
>>
>> You can also harvest the activity of the group using any news service
>> automatically. There's no reason to post to it to "test the waters".
>>
>> I emailed him when I thought he wasn't going to return. I asked him why
>> he posted in the first place just because I was curious. So we;ll see
>> if *I* get any spam.

> huh? what arguement?

What are *you* talking about. Argument?

> I was just stating that when the spam post with
> link appears that people will reply to it like trained sock puppets.

I was responding to yours and Ed's claim that he is harvesting email
addresses or preparing to spam the group. That's just nonsense.
There's no pattern or any noticeable history of anybody doing what
you claim.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,news.software.readers

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:38:32 +1100, Mike Dee wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Mike Dee wrote:

> [...]

> [...]
>>
>> The best solution is something available in Dialog, at least.
>>
>> Unselect "Watch/Ignore works on subthreads"
>> Score all googleposts with -1 (or worse)
>> Select "Ignore posts with negative score"
>> Set your view to "not ignored" "Show all posts in thread"
>>
>> What this boils down to is "Ignore all threads consisting of only
>> Googlposters". Which is a good trade-off between the maintenance of a
>> white-list and the killfiling of most spam.

> Setting a kill file on "Message-ID: googlegroups" does exactly what you
> just described.

Not quite.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:10:39 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I just don't see any logic at all in this argument. Assuming he didn't
>>> post followups, there is just no sense manually harvesting email
>>> addresses like this when you can have a computer harvest them
>>> automatically for free and obtain 500x as many valid addresses.
>>>
>>> You can also harvest the activity of the group using any news service
>>> automatically. There's no reason to post to it to "test the waters".
>>>
>>> I emailed him when I thought he wasn't going to return. I asked him why
>>> he posted in the first place just because I was curious. So we;ll see
>>> if *I* get any spam.

>> huh? what arguement?

> What are *you* talking about. Argument?
>
>> I was just stating that when the spam post with
>> link appears that people will reply to it like trained sock puppets.

> I was responding to yours and Ed's claim that he is harvesting email
> addresses or preparing to spam the group. That's just nonsense.
> There's no pattern or any noticeable history of anybody doing what
> you claim.
>
> -sw

I claimed/said absolutely nothing of the sort. I DID say that a spam
post would likely follow and be replied to... thereby perpetuating the
spammers cause... but whatever - let's just move on down the road a
piece and see what happens... ;-)

--
Steve