Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Spice blends.

Hi,

Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this: If you
should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following meats, what
would it be?

Beef
Chicken
Pork

I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or even
on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo wings and such
I know I would have to work up something extra. What I am looking for is
the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this: If
> you should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following meats,
> what would it be?
>
> Beef
> Chicken
> Pork
>
> I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or
> even on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo wings
> and such I know I would have to work up something extra. What I am
> looking for is the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

The majority of these spice mixtures are mostly salt. They also have
preservatives. Why not find a recipe you like and make your own? Keep
it in a crew-top jar so it will stay fresh.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

>> The majority of these spice mixtures are mostly salt. They also
>> have
>> preservatives. Why not find a recipe you like and make your
>> own? Keep
>> it in a crew-top jar so it will stay fresh.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> What Janet said. I make my own 'Bayou Blast' with half the salt
> of the
> original.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Mine has virtually no salt or black pepper. I add them separately
to keep volume down.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this:
> If you should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following
> meats, what would it be?
>
> Beef
> Chicken
> Pork
>
> I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or
> even on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo
> wings and such I know I would have to work up something extra. What I
> am looking for is the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

Have you looked at www.penzeys.com ? They have some good blends. You can
buy them and get good results, or you can look at the ingredients and be
inspired to make your own from similar ingredient.

It is difficult to make a recommendation because personal taste can vary so
much. I tend to go a couple of different ways. As a base, I use a little
kosher salt, much less than commercial product have. It helps to act as a
carrier to spread the others. black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
go into most of my basic blends. From there, I may deviate to Mediterranean
style by adding oregano, basil, and a higher portion of garlic. If it is
pork, rosemary is in there.

For frying or the grill, I'd add some paprika, some form of red pepper if I
want a bit of heat.

Old Bay is handy to keep around as it is good on seafood, chicken, pork, or
as a kick up for the basic blend I start with. Penzeys has something call
Chesapeake seasoning that is very similar.

Experiment a little. Have some fun.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:39:27 -0600, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this:
>> If you should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following
>> meats, what would it be?
>>
>> Beef
>> Chicken
>> Pork
>>
>> I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or
>> even on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo
>> wings and such I know I would have to work up something extra. What I
>> am looking for is the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

> Have you looked at www.penzeys.com ? They have some good blends. You
> can
> buy them and get good results, or you can look at the ingredients and be
> inspired to make your own from similar ingredient.
>
> It is difficult to make a recommendation because personal taste can vary
> so
> much. I tend to go a couple of different ways. As a base, I use a
> little
> kosher salt, much less than commercial product have. It helps to act as
> carrier to spread the others. black pepper, garlic powder and onion
> powder
> go into most of my basic blends. From there, I may deviate to
> Mediterranean
> style by adding oregano, basil, and a higher portion of garlic. If it is
> pork, rosemary is in there.
>
> For frying or the grill, I'd add some paprika, some form of red pepper
> if I
> want a bit of heat.
>
> Old Bay is handy to keep around as it is good on seafood, chicken, pork,
> or
> as a kick up for the basic blend I start with. Penzeys has something
> call
> Chesapeake seasoning that is very similar.
>
> Experiment a little. Have some fun.

Thank you. Lots of good advice there! The three I currently keep around is
Lawry's, Old Bay and Tony Cacherer's Creole Seasoning. I also keep
Morton's Sausage and Meatloaf seasoning around since it's the only way I
know to get the perfect pork breakfast sausage, but I have not found other
uses for that blend except for meat loaf of course. Tony Cacherer's is
used a lot when my kids fry eggs or links. They seem to love that stuff. I
cook for a large family, so at times I do not have the time to be very
creative, but I am still doing port chops, fried chicken or even some sort
of steaks. That's when I wish I had something I could just grab and be
sure it just works

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:13:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:19:06 -0600, ceed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this: If
>> you
>> should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following meats, what
>> would it be?
>>
>> Beef
>> Chicken
>> Pork
>>
>> I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or
>> even
>> on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo wings and
>> such
>> I know I would have to work up something extra. What I am looking for is
>> the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

> Montreal Steak Seasoning (in the CostCo sized canister) for brisket.
> It's Garlic, coarse salt, pepper - plus a few other things that work
> perfect on brisket and it's the right size grind (pepper could be a
> little more coarse).

Noted. Thanks!

> Old Bay for pork ribs.

Got that already. Used it on pork chops last nigh. Yummy!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 06:59:09 -0800, RegForte wrote:
>

>> 1 tablespoon ground coriander

> Am I the only one who can't taste coriander seed? They're not
> stale, they're flavorless no matter how old they are. The only seed
> I can taste is right off the plant. Once it's dehydrated I can't
> taste it at all.

I'm sort of with you here.

I often buy generic bulk spices cause I'm cheap. With many spices
you can get away with using a cheaper (non) brand and make up for the
lack of flavor by just using more.

Coriander isn't one of them. You have to pony up and pay for a decent
brand. That's one of the few I get from Penzeys. You have to buy the
seed and grind it yourself (or in the case of pastrami I crush it in
an M&P)

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2010-01-07, RegForte > wrote:

> Coriander isn't one of them. You have to pony up and pay for a decent
> brand. That's one of the few I get from Penzeys. You have to buy the
> seed and grind it yourself (or in the case of pastrami I crush it in
> an M&P)

Likewise, amount of spice used is important. With a more subtle spices
like coriander, you need more. Look at unground Indian masalas or
even pickling spices. The most dominant spice is coriander seed.
Compare that with, say, cloves, which is monster. Not a lot of those
little boogers.

nb
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:33:02 -0600, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-01-07, RegForte > wrote:
>
>> Coriander isn't one of them. You have to pony up and pay for a decent
>> brand. That's one of the few I get from Penzeys. You have to buy the
>> seed and grind it yourself (or in the case of pastrami I crush it in
>> an M&P)

> Likewise, amount of spice used is important. With a more subtle spices
> like coriander, you need more. Look at unground Indian masalas or
> even pickling spices. The most dominant spice is coriander seed.
> Compare that with, say, cloves, which is monster. Not a lot of those
> little boogers.

I agree, cloves is an aggressive spice. Used right it's great. Too much,
food is destroyed. One I find to even "worse" is nutmeg. It's the one
spice you can ruin a meal with using only 1/8 of a tsp

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <op.u541x4h2325jvr@christian-laptop>,
ceed > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this: If you
> should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following meats, what
> would it be?
>
> Beef
> Chicken
> Pork
>
> I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or even
> on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo wings and such
> I know I would have to work up something extra. What I am looking for is
> the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.

Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
spice mixes that are made up from half salt!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:33:02 -0600, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-07, RegForte > wrote:
>>
>>> Coriander isn't one of them. You have to pony up and pay for a decent
>>> brand. That's one of the few I get from Penzeys. You have to buy the
>>> seed and grind it yourself (or in the case of pastrami I crush it in
>>> an M&P)

>> Likewise, amount of spice used is important. With a more subtle spices
>> like coriander, you need more. Look at unground Indian masalas or
>> even pickling spices. The most dominant spice is coriander seed.
>> Compare that with, say, cloves, which is monster. Not a lot of those
>> little boogers.

> I agree, cloves is an aggressive spice. Used right it's great. Too
> much, food is destroyed. One I find to even "worse" is nutmeg. It's the
> one spice you can ruin a meal with using only 1/8 of a tsp

Yep. I usually don't even measure it by teaspoon in anything other
than large batches. I go by "number of little specks".

Great stuff though, used properly. As is mace.

Another thing about spice blend recipes... quality/strength of
ingredients varies and recipe quantities should only be a
guideline. Always taste and adjust.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 13:06:46 -0600, RegForte > wrote:

> I agree, cloves is an aggressive spice. Used right it's great. Too
> much, food is destroyed. One I find to even "worse" is nutmeg. It's the
> one spice you can ruin a meal with using only 1/8 of a tsp Yep. I
> usually don't even measure it by teaspoon in anything other
> than large batches. I go by "number of little specks".

LOL. So you're at the molecular level as far as nutmeg is concerned?

> Great stuff though, used properly. As is mace.

Never really used Mace. I do not know what it's good for. My fault. I will
do some homework on that one.

> Another thing about spice blend recipes... quality/strength of
> ingredients varies and recipe quantities should only be a
> guideline. Always taste and adjust.

Great advice. Thanks!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 13:03:12 -0600, Omelet > wrote:

> In article <op.u541x4h2325jvr@christian-laptop>,
> ceed > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since there's a lot of experience in here I would like to ask this: If
>> you
>> should recommend a pre-made spice blend for the following meats, what
>> would it be?
>>
>> Beef
>> Chicken
>> Pork
>>
>> I am looking for good seasoning mixes I can purchase in the store or
>> even
>> on-line. For specialties like brisket, corned beef, buffalo wings and
>> such
>> I know I would have to work up something extra. What I am looking for is
>> the everyday stuff that "can't fail".

> Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
> I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.

I have their lemon pepper which is great, and also their chicken fajita
and Mexican Rice blends. Both good. Their stuff is also reasonably priced
and readily available around these parts (Austin,TX).

> Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
> spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

Never thought of that. Now I do..

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <op.u56gx3pn325jvr@christian-laptop>,
ceed > wrote:

> > Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
> > I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.

> I have their lemon pepper which is great, and also their chicken fajita
> and Mexican Rice blends. Both good. Their stuff is also reasonably priced
> and readily available around these parts (Austin,TX).

I'm close to you. Down the road in San Marcos. <g>

> > Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
> > spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

> Never thought of that. Now I do..
>

> --
> //ceed

It makes a very big difference in quality! I personally prefer to
control the amount of salt I add to anything I cook but be able to be
liberal with my spices without having to worry about it. <g>

HEB generally seems to carry a decent selection of Fiesta brand, but I
admit I've not checked Fiesta Market's spice aisle yet...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
> I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.
>
> Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
> spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

I agree about Fiesta salt-free blends. Their fajita seasoning is pretty
good. They also make a nice bean seasoning, but I have not been able to
find the salt-free version lately.

Tony Chachare used to make a salt-free Cajun blend, but I was only able
to get that in Lafayette, LA.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 7, 9:13*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Montreal Steak Seasoning (in the CostCo sized canister) for brisket.
> It's Garlic, coarse salt, pepper - plus a few other things that work
> perfect on brisket and it's the right size grind (pepper could be a
> little more coarse).

I use Montreal Steak a lot. You can use it as a base and add what ever
you like to it. I add chili powder for baked chicken, turmeric for
pork chops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
> > I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.
> >
> > Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
> > spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

> I agree about Fiesta salt-free blends. Their fajita seasoning is pretty
> good. They also make a nice bean seasoning, but I have not been able to
> find the salt-free version lately.
>
> Tony Chachare used to make a salt-free Cajun blend, but I was only able
> to get that in Lafayette, LA.

I've not tried the bean seasoning...

You mix with beef? Pork? What please? :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 13:03:12 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
> > I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.
> >
> > Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
> > spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

> Fiesta uses other fillers, though. Like rice flour.
>
> -sw

At least it's gluten free. <g>

Our local HEB just quit carrying the salt free lemon pepper (again
dammit!), so now I've kept the shaker and am making my own from the bulk
herb section.

1/3 ground black pepper, 2/3 ground dried lemon peel. It's working well.

I do still use the salt free fajita seasoning, and it comes in the large
containers.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

>>Omelet wrote:
>>

>>>Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
>>>I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.
>>>
>>>Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
>>>spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

>>I agree about Fiesta salt-free blends. Their fajita seasoning is pretty
>>good. They also make a nice bean seasoning, but I have not been able to
>>find the salt-free version lately.
>>
>>Tony Chachare used to make a salt-free Cajun blend, but I was only able
>>to get that in Lafayette, LA.

> I've not tried the bean seasoning...
>
> You mix with beef? Pork? What please? :-)

I'd guess beans

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
RegForte > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >>I agree about Fiesta salt-free blends. Their fajita seasoning is pretty
> >>good. They also make a nice bean seasoning, but I have not been able to
> >>find the salt-free version lately.
> >>
> >>Tony Chachare used to make a salt-free Cajun blend, but I was only able
> >>to get that in Lafayette, LA.

> > I've not tried the bean seasoning...
> >
> > You mix with beef? Pork? What please? :-)

> I'd guess beans

<rolls eyes> ;-) I'm just not in to vegetarian bean dishes! I most
often cook them with ham scraps/bones or bacon!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> Fiesta makes some decent mixes imho.
>>> I use their salt free fajita seasoning and salt free lemon pepper.
>>>
>>> Note the "salt free" designation. I refuse to pay a premium price for
>>> spice mixes that are made up from half salt!

>> I agree about Fiesta salt-free blends. Their fajita seasoning is pretty
>> good. They also make a nice bean seasoning, but I have not been able to
>> find the salt-free version lately.
>>
>> Tony Chachare used to make a salt-free Cajun blend, but I was only able
>> to get that in Lafayette, LA.

> I've not tried the bean seasoning...
>
> You mix with beef? Pork? What please? :-)

beans. Pinto beans to be exact. I have used it to make charro beans.
Since I put a lot of bacon in the charro beans, I don't want the salt
form the seasoning.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> I agree about Fiesta salt-free blends. Their fajita seasoning is pretty
> >> good. They also make a nice bean seasoning, but I have not been able to
> >> find the salt-free version lately.
> >>
> >> Tony Chachare used to make a salt-free Cajun blend, but I was only able
> >> to get that in Lafayette, LA.

> > I've not tried the bean seasoning...
> >
> > You mix with beef? Pork? What please? :-)

> beans. Pinto beans to be exact. I have used it to make charro beans.
> Since I put a lot of bacon in the charro beans, I don't want the salt
> form the seasoning.

So you make a vegetarian type bean dish...

Okay. :-) Thanks.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> I've not tried the bean seasoning...
>>>
>>> You mix with beef? Pork? What please? :-)

>> beans. Pinto beans to be exact. I have used it to make charro beans.
>> Since I put a lot of bacon in the charro beans, I don't want the salt
>> form the seasoning.

> So you make a vegetarian type bean dish...
>
> Okay. :-) Thanks.

Yes. With vegetarian bacon. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > So you make a vegetarian type bean dish...
> >
> > Okay. :-) Thanks.

> Yes. With vegetarian bacon. :-)

The meat from vegetarian pigs is wonderful, but don't let them eat too many
of your truffles!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:12:06 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 06:59:09 -0800, RegForte wrote:
>
>> 1 tablespoon ground coriander

>Am I the only one who can't taste coriander seed? They're not
>stale, they're flavorless no matter how old they are. The only seed
>I can taste is right off the plant. Once it's dehydrated I can't
>taste it at all.
>
>-sw

I find it wonderfully strong, no matter how old it is.

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> beans. Pinto beans to be exact. I have used it to make charro beans.
> >> Since I put a lot of bacon in the charro beans, I don't want the salt
> >> form the seasoning.

> > So you make a vegetarian type bean dish...
> >
> > Okay. :-) Thanks.

> Yes. With vegetarian bacon. :-)

<chuckles> Is the bacon Kosher as well?
--