Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default <delurk>Turkey Breast?

Goin to do a couple turkey breasts Xmas day.
Trying to figure about how long to allow for 'em<I know until they're done>
Goin to rub 'em down with mesquite olive oil,a little season salt, smoked
over pecan.
Anyone done just breasts before?
I've followed the whole turkey thread, cook at 375, etc.
I've done whole ones for about 6-8hrs before, even 10 for bigger ones.
These are both about 7 lbs, so I'm figuring about 3-4 hrs.
it's suppose to be about 30- 40 degrees here in Big D Xmas day which will I
expect will have some effect on cook time but II figure not much
Suggestions - tips?

TIA and A Very Smokey Xmas to All

--
Never Forget
http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ChairMan wrote:
> Goin to do a couple turkey breasts Xmas day.
> Trying to figure about how long to allow for 'em<I know until they're done>
> Goin to rub 'em down with mesquite olive oil,a little season salt, smoked
> over pecan.
> Anyone done just breasts before?
> I've followed the whole turkey thread, cook at 375, etc.
> I've done whole ones for about 6-8hrs before, even 10 for bigger ones.
> These are both about 7 lbs, so I'm figuring about 3-4 hrs.
> it's suppose to be about 30- 40 degrees here in Big D Xmas day which will I
> expect will have some effect on cook time but II figure not much
> Suggestions - tips?
>
> TIA and A Very Smokey Xmas to All

Been a while since I've done a breast but I'm thinking at those weighs
and temperatures probably not much over 2 hours to a 165 dF internal
temp. I'm sure others with more recent experience will chime in. The
external temp won't affect cooktime if you leave the usit closed.

375degrees is 375 degrees, period. It may cause you to go through a
higher amount of fuel but that should be about it. A bigger problem
when cooking in cold conditions is wind. If it's a windy day put some
sort of wind break by the unit to shield it from the wind.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Delurking?
>
> Uh, I don't think so. You've been posting here for years. Your
> hard-on for me was especially noted.
>
> You *must* brine turkey breast before you smoke it. If you have
> some sodium/potassium phosphates, I'd use a pinch or two of that,
> too. You can find that at MT Supermarket. About a teaspoon per
> gallon of brine.
>
> -sw

Tell me more please. That's a new one to me and I do have a turkey I
will be smoking. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 24, 6:53*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> *Your
> hard-on for me was especially noted.

An unfortunate side effect of posting your picture?

Merry Christmas AFB!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz >spewed forth:
> Delurking?

Mostly, yes

> Uh, I don't think so. You've been posting here for years.

Off and on, yes, but for the most part, lurking.
Ya learn more with your mouth shut and your ears open
google is your freind, check and see how many posts I've made here vs other
ng

>Your hard-on for me was especially noted.

True, but if you stop and think about it I haven't said shit to you in a
probably a year or maybe longer.
Here or in AG.
And I wouldn't call it a hard-on either, you're definately not my type.

> You *must* brine turkey breast before you smoke it. If you have
> some sodium/potassium phosphates, I'd use a pinch or two of that,
> too. You can find that at MT Supermarket. About a teaspoon per
> gallon of brine.
>
> -sw

Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Tutall >spewed forth:
> On Dec 24, 6:53 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Your
>> hard-on for me was especially noted.

> An unfortunate side effect of posting your picture?
>

> Merry Christmas AFB!

To you and yours, too

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote
:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>

>>Delurking?
>>
>>Uh, I don't think so. You've been posting here for years. Your
>>hard-on for me was especially noted.
>>
>>You *must* brine turkey breast before you smoke it. If you have
>>some sodium/potassium phosphates, I'd use a pinch or two of that,
>>too. You can find that at MT Supermarket. About a teaspoon per
>>gallon of brine.
>>
>>-sw

> Tell me more please. That's a new one to me and I do have a turkey I
> will be smoking. :-)

You're already as chemicaled up as you want to be. If
you add phosphates to that saltpeter you're already
using the stuff may explode.

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
RegForte > wrote:

> Omelet wrote
> :
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >

> >>Delurking?
> >>
> >>Uh, I don't think so. You've been posting here for years. Your
> >>hard-on for me was especially noted.
> >>
> >>You *must* brine turkey breast before you smoke it. If you have
> >>some sodium/potassium phosphates, I'd use a pinch or two of that,
> >>too. You can find that at MT Supermarket. About a teaspoon per
> >>gallon of brine.
> >>
> >>-sw

> > Tell me more please. That's a new one to me and I do have a turkey I
> > will be smoking. :-)

> You're already as chemicaled up as you want to be. If
> you add phosphates to that saltpeter you're already
> using the stuff may explode.

Well, that's one way to shred a turkey... <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 21:01:03 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> Delurking?
> >>
> >> Uh, I don't think so. You've been posting here for years. Your
> >> hard-on for me was especially noted.
> >>
> >> You *must* brine turkey breast before you smoke it. If you have
> >> some sodium/potassium phosphates, I'd use a pinch or two of that,
> >> too. You can find that at MT Supermarket. About a teaspoon per
> >> gallon of brine.

> > Tell me more please. That's a new one to me and I do have a turkey I
> > will be smoking. :-)

> Phosphates help keep the moisture in the meat. The downside is that
> overuse can make meat rubbery so I always err on the light side.

I wonder if that's what is used in commercial smoked turkeys?
I've bought the ones from HEB (in fact, we are finishing one off right
now) and that meat is slightly rubbery, but not bad.

> know that 1 ts is acceptable for the phosphate mix I use, but It
> probably depends on what mixture of phosphates you use. I have no
> way to know the potency of my phosphates. It is called "accord" and
> there is very little info on the web. These are advertised as for
> use in sausage making.

Thank you!

--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Omelet said:
> > In article >,
> > RegForte > wrote:
> >
> >> Omelet wrote

> >> You're already as chemicaled up as you want to be. If
> >> you add phosphates to that saltpeter you're already
> >> using the stuff may explode.

> > Well, that's one way to shred a turkey... <g>

> Beware of terrorists lobbing turkeys....

In home made cannons...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:54:30 -0600, "ChairMan" > wrote:

>Goin to do a couple turkey breasts Xmas day.
>Trying to figure about how long to allow for 'em<I know until they're done>
>Goin to rub 'em down with mesquite olive oil,a little season salt, smoked
>over pecan.
>Anyone done just breasts before?
> I've followed the whole turkey thread, cook at 375, etc.
>I've done whole ones for about 6-8hrs before, even 10 for bigger ones.
>These are both about 7 lbs, so I'm figuring about 3-4 hrs.
>it's suppose to be about 30- 40 degrees here in Big D Xmas day which will I
>expect will have some effect on cook time but II figure not much
>Suggestions - tips?
>
>TIA and A Very Smokey Xmas to All

Sorry for the late reply.
I did a breast yesterday in the oven and it came out perfect. 1.5 hrs
@ 350* Pic on ABF. I think 3-4 hrs for a 7 lb. might be too long.
I've never done breast in the K. Yesterday my K7 was busy doing a 17
lb turkey.
I don't remember the weight of mine, but close to 6 lbs. I just took
the figures from the package. It was pre-rubbed with "herbs."
As for the effect from the cold, I don't know. Depends on the type of
smoker you have. I have a K7 and cold weather doesn't matter to a K.
Not even when it gets *really* cold! But it rarely gets cold here
like in Dallas.
Eddie in San Jose, who went to Crozier Tech HS in Dallas *many* years
ago.
btw, I've never heard of mesquite olive oil.

When to buy a Turkey Breast ?? Woolstitcher General Cooking 4 17-11-2007 09:27 PM
Turkey breast Nancy Young General Cooking 23 05-06-2006 09:15 PM
doing a turkey breast Beth Cole Barbecue 3 29-04-2005 03:07 PM
Turkey Breast Peter Newman Barbecue 13 02-12-2004 01:30 AM
Turkey breast (again) Peter Barbecue 16 29-11-2004 03:14 AM