FoodBanter.com

-   -   Minty glaze (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/392234-minty-glaze.html)

Nonny 22-12-2009 04:56 AM

Minty glaze

Has anyone had luck making a mint flavored mop or glaze that'd be
good on lamb chops? I normally do mine in a light Montreal steak
seasoning, but after some modest success with an apple glaze for
pork loin and cutlets recently, am ready to expand to glaze for
lamb.

Ideas?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Oncler 23-12-2009 01:56 PM

Minty glaze

Nonny wrote:
> Has anyone had luck making a mint flavored mop or glaze that'd be good
> on lamb chops? I normally do mine in a light Montreal steak seasoning,
> but after some modest success with an apple glaze for pork loin and
> cutlets recently, am ready to expand to glaze for lamb.
>
> Ideas?

I like to grill lamb chops with fresh mint pesto...maybe make it a bit
looser and add a bit of sweetness for a glaze??

Oncler

Nonny 23-12-2009 07:21 PM

Minty glaze

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>> Has anyone had luck making a mint flavored mop or glaze that'd
>> be
>> good on lamb chops? I normally do mine in a light Montreal
>> steak
>> seasoning, but after some modest success with an apple glaze
>> for
>> pork loin and cutlets recently, am ready to expand to glaze
>> for
>> lamb.
>>
>> Ideas?

> I'm not opposed to mint and lamb like some folks, but it has to
> be done
> conservatively. Red wine, garlic, mint, rosemary, S&P and olive
> oil can make
> a fine marinade or paste, then you can reduce some of it and/or
> add it to
> pan juices for a glaze. I find the pan juices deglazed from lamb
> cooked with
> garlic and rosemary to be especially tasty, and the mint will
> work fine as
> long as it's used to create a flavor undertone as opposed to a
> primary
> taste.
>
> MartyB in KC

Thanks to both of you for the comments. We make a pesto here
frequently and I like the idea of adding sweetness and just
cooking it down a tad.

BTW- the pesto is used here with green peppers. If you're looking
for an unusual type of food that works fine as an appetizer OR as
a veggie with a meal, try cutting any color pepper into strips
about 1-1/2" wide. Coat them with olive oil and place them skin
side down on a baking sheet or on the grates of a grill. We do
them both ways. On the meat side, spoon in a dose of pesto and
after they have begun to soften, top with grated parmesan cheese.

Nonny 23-12-2009 08:20 PM

Minty glaze

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...

> I'm with you on the peppers, especially the colored ones.
> Something else I
> love are roasted and peeled sweet red peppers, and I often will
> include them
> in a marinade or sauce, by just tossing some in and hitting it
> with the
> stick blender. I can't recall if I've ever done that with lamb
> but it sure
> wouldn't hurt the kind of glaze we've been talking about.
>
> I find for those sorts of purposes, incorporating roasted sweet
> pepper into
> a dish for it's unique flavor, that the canned or jar variety
> works just as
> well as roasting up your own. I buy the great big cans at one of
> the
> wholesalers or Restaurant Depot, then break them down into
> smaller sets of
> 3-4 peppers, with juice, freeze them in tupperware, then pull
> them out and
> vac bag them. I do the same with chipotle in adobo, but that's
> another
> conversation entirely. The juice from the roasty reds can do
> wonders for
> sauces and gravies, with or without the incorporation of the
> peppers.
>
> MartyB in KC

There's a chain here in LV, and probably elsewhere, called the
$.99 store. The place nearest us has quite a few groceries,
including both fresh and prepared vegetables. We routinely get
jars of roasted red peppers for $.99, and also get bags with 5-6
fresh greens for the same price. The ones in a jar are nicely
roasted and peeled, thus ready to pat off the oil and toss into a
soup, chili or casserole.

I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
celery salt.

Dave Bugg 23-12-2009 11:56 PM

Minty glaze

Nonny wrote:

> I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
> a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
> flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
> cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
> For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
> celery salt.

These aren't crab cakes, but I'll be doing these stuffed mushrooms for
tomorrow eve's buffet. I can't recall where the original recipe came from,
but I've modified it along the way.

CRAB and SHRIMP STUFFED MUSHROOMS

Makes 40-48 mushrooms

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3/4 lb)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
12 drops Tabasco Sauce
2 Tbs Worcheshire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb fresh crab meat
1 lb pre-cooked shrimp
48 (approx) medium-sized mushrooms, stems removed (freeze & use for soups or
stews)

In a medium bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, salt, green onions and
basil.

In separate smaller bowl, combine Tabasco Sauce, Worcheshire, lemon juice,
garlic and egg; add to bread crumb mixture. Add crab and shrimp meat, mix
until well blended. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400°. Wet your hands w/cold water, take a small handful of
stuffing in your palm & mold into a round ball. Gently place stuffing firmly
inside mushroom cap w/o breaking mushroom. Place on oiled cookie sheet not
touching each other. (At this point the mushrooms can
be refrigerated and baked later).

Bake 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned. Serve immediately
on a warmed platter or chafing dish garnished with fresh basil leaves.

--
Dave

Nonny 24-12-2009 12:13 AM

Minty glaze

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Nonny wrote:
>
>> I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to
>> give
>> a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
>> flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
>> cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional
>> mix.
>> For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch
>> of
>> celery salt.

> These aren't crab cakes, but I'll be doing these stuffed
> mushrooms for tomorrow eve's buffet. I can't recall where the
> original recipe came from, but I've modified it along the way.
>
> CRAB and SHRIMP STUFFED MUSHROOMS
>
> Makes 40-48 mushrooms
>
> 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3/4 lb)
> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 2 green onions, thinly sliced
> 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
> 12 drops Tabasco Sauce
> 2 Tbs Worcheshire sauce
> 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
> 1 small clove garlic, crushed
> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
> 1 lb fresh crab meat
> 1 lb pre-cooked shrimp
> 48 (approx) medium-sized mushrooms, stems removed (freeze & use
> for soups or
> stews)
>
> In a medium bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, salt, green
> onions and
> basil.
>
> In separate smaller bowl, combine Tabasco Sauce, Worcheshire,
> lemon juice, garlic and egg; add to bread crumb mixture. Add
> crab and shrimp meat, mix until well blended. Refrigerate for at
> least an hour, or overnight.
>
> Preheat oven to 400°. Wet your hands w/cold water, take a small
> handful of stuffing in your palm & mold into a round ball.
> Gently place stuffing firmly inside mushroom cap w/o breaking
> mushroom. Place on oiled cookie sheet not touching each other.
> (At this point the mushrooms can
> be refrigerated and baked later).
>
> Bake 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned. Serve
> immediately on a warmed platter or chafing dish garnished with
> fresh basil leaves.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
> before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Those sound great, Dave. How would it be in a Portobello cap?
That could be an entrée item.

Dave Bugg 24-12-2009 12:19 AM

Minty glaze

Nonny wrote:

> Those sound great, Dave. How would it be in a Portobello cap?
> That could be an entrée item.

I agree. I've not done them with portobellos, but I bet they would be
fantastic. Break out the steak knives.
--
Dave

Brick[_3_] 24-12-2009 04:44 PM

Minty glaze

On 23-Dec-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Nonny said:
>
> > BTW- the pesto is used here with green peppers. If you're looking
> > for an unusual type of food that works fine as an appetizer OR as
> > a veggie with a meal, try cutting any color pepper into strips
> > about 1-1/2" wide. Coat them with olive oil and place them skin
> > side down on a baking sheet or on the grates of a grill. We do
> > them both ways. On the meat side, spoon in a dose of pesto and
> > after they have begun to soften, top with grated parmesan cheese.

> Sorry, I tried to reply but the send button hit itself. Let's try again.
>
> I'm with you on the peppers, especially the colored ones. Something else
> love are roasted and peeled sweet red peppers, and I often will include
> them
> in a marinade or sauce, by just tossing some in and hitting it with the
> stick blender. I can't recall if I've ever done that with lamb but it
> sure
> wouldn't hurt the kind of glaze we've been talking about.
>
> I find for those sorts of purposes, incorporating roasted sweet pepper
> into
> a dish for it's unique flavor, that the canned or jar variety works just
> as
> well as roasting up your own. I buy the great big cans at one of the
> wholesalers or Restaurant Depot, then break them down into smaller sets
> of
> 3-4 peppers, with juice, freeze them in tupperware, then pull them out
> and
> vac bag them. I do the same with chipotle in adobo, but that's another
> conversation entirely. The juice from the roasty reds can do wonders for
> sauces and gravies, with or without the incorporation of the peppers.
>
> MartyB in KC

Great idea Marty. Some folks don't realize the savings to be had by
buying in large tin cans vs smaller glass jars. Glass is about the most
expensive container to be had. I have procured my canned jalapeno
peppers in #10 cans for years. I break them down into pint mason
jars. My local BJ's warehouse club sells roasted red peppers in the
#10 cans as well as jars. I have been buying the jars. Duh!

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Dave Bugg 26-12-2009 07:50 PM

Minty glaze

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Dave Bugg said:
>> Nonny wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
>>> a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
>>> flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
>>> cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
>>> For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
>>> celery salt.

>> These aren't crab cakes, but I'll be doing these stuffed mushrooms
>> for tomorrow eve's buffet. I can't recall where the original recipe
>> came from, but I've modified it along the way.
>>
>> CRAB and SHRIMP STUFFED MUSHROOMS
>>
>> Makes 40-48 mushrooms
>>
>> 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3/4 lb)
>> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
>> 1/8 teaspoon salt
>> 2 green onions, thinly sliced
>> 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
>> 12 drops Tabasco Sauce
>> 2 Tbs Worcheshire sauce
>> 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
>> 1 small clove garlic, crushed
>> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
>> 1 lb fresh crab meat
>> 1 lb pre-cooked shrimp
>> 48 (approx) medium-sized mushrooms, stems removed (freeze & use for
>> soups or stews)
>>
>> In a medium bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, salt, green onions
>> and basil.
>>
>> In separate smaller bowl, combine Tabasco Sauce, Worcheshire, lemon
>> juice, garlic and egg; add to bread crumb mixture. Add crab and
>> shrimp meat, mix until well blended. Refrigerate for at least an
>> hour, or overnight.
>>
>> Preheat oven to 400. Wet your hands w/cold water, take a small
>> handful of stuffing in your palm & mold into a round ball. Gently
>> place stuffing firmly inside mushroom cap w/o breaking mushroom.
>> Place on oiled cookie sheet not touching each other. (At this point
>> the mushrooms can
>> be refrigerated and baked later).
>>
>> Bake 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned. Serve
>> immediately on a warmed platter or chafing dish garnished with fresh
>> basil leaves.

> Why fresh crab, but precooked shrimp?

Dunno. It's just more common around here. Fresh shrimp would work. Fore
whatever reason, fresh, peeled crab is readily available but fresh
pre-peeled shrimp aren't.

> Recipe sounds good in any case.
> What kind of crab are you using for the crabmeat?

Usually dungeness.

--
Dave

Nonny 26-12-2009 08:21 PM

Minty glaze

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
>>> Recipe sounds good in any case.
>>> What kind of crab are you using for the crabmeat?

>> Usually dungeness.

> Hard to get around here. Almost all shellfish sold here in KC
> are prefrozen,
> IQF or otherwise, so I just look for good qualtiy and try to
> avoid the stuff
> that's thawed in the grocer's meat case since it just came out
> of freezer
> packs anyway in almost every instance. I'd prefer to just thaw
> it when I'm
> ready to use it. You can get Alaska or King crab, also
> prefrozen, (which
> also in almost every instance has been pre-steam-cooked before
> freezing) and
> other varieties in the Asian stores, still mostly frozen but
> occasionally
> live, and from high end stores like Whole Foods.
>
> The frozen shrimp is usually EZ Peel though, shells split but
> still on and
> vein removed, ready to cook, shell on or off, and I like the
> flavor much
> better than the precooked shrimp which seem to have just been
> steamed
> without seasoning. Good prices sometimes, I just bought several
> pounds of
> 26-30 EZ Peel for 5 bucks a pound. It cooks up great deep fried,
> in asian
> dishes, or scampi style. Scallops have the same prefrozen
> situation, and
> again prices all over the board, but right now 11-15 sea
> scallops for about
> 10 bucks a pound.
>
> I'm tempted to try that recipe with the frozen raw shrimp,
> canned lump, and
> chopped scallop meat. That's the best I can hope to do here in
> the middle of
> the frozen tundra.

Our grocery stores here in LV usually have a big selection of
seafood, but it's like yours, Marty, it's flash frozen. The large
shrimp are both Pink and Tiger, selling for $9.99/# in the U12
category and I've also seen them in U8 for the same price. The
pinks, for some reason, are not split/deveined, where the Tigers
are. I usually avoid the pinks anyway, since they seem mushy,
where the Tigers are firm. Sea Scallops are almost always the
U10's for $7.99/# at most Albertson's and the big King crab legs
are around $13/# when on sale.

Like you, I almost never get the thawed ones: I ask the meat guy
to go in the back and bring out a bag or two of the frozen ones.

We tend to grill a lot, and one of the favorites you might
consider is fresh Gazpacho with grilled scallops floating in it.

Stormmee 15-01-2010 10:31 AM

Minty glaze

I think it would be great to stuff some of those sweet red peppers with, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day