Old 23-12-2009, 04:21 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Christmas Turkey?

Kent wrote:

This is exactly what happened in Germany in the
1930's

Godwin's Law has been invoked, this thread is officially over.

Brian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Old 23-12-2009, 08:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in message
Brian said:
Kent wrote:

This is exactly what happened in Germany in the
1930's

Godwin's Law has been invoked, this thread is officially over.

Brian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Good call.

The sad thing is, if some people would just use their killfiles instead of
obsessively indulging themselves in troll-feeding, you probably would
never
have had cause to deploy the G bomb in the first place. This started off
as
a credible thread, and as usual, turned into a crapshoot where you have no
idea whether opening the next post is going to reveal discussion of the
topic, or another round of whining and insulting that was completely
avoidable.

I guess at some point you have to begin to consider anyone who feeds this
situation to be just as much of a troll as the instigator, no matter who
they are, and subject to the same simple remedy. And I'm not referring to
Paxil, although it is approved for the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive
Disorder.

MartyB in KC

This became a "crapshoot" when I asked a reasonable question to OM.

" What curing product/agent are you using? I've played with Morton's
Tenderquick a bit. I'd like to find a nitrate/nitrite product for brine
curing."

and Swertz responded with:

"Moron. Have you read the god damn bag - the part where it has
directions for brining? And yes, it's always been there.

http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/mrtn-tndrqk.html

Please don't engage this asshole in any discussion of curing. Or
anything else for that matter. It's the same stupid questionS year
after year. And if you tell him you use saltpeter, then it will
only last another 10 years."

Swertz, in his usual fashion made one of his usual caustic comments rather
than simply answering the question, or just keeping quiet.. I haven't
usually responded to his comments. This time I did.

Old 23-12-2009, 11:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 02:09:15 -0800, Kent wrote:

What curing product/agent are you using? I've played with Morton's
Tenderquick a bit. I'd like to find a nitrate/nitrite product for brine
curing.

Moron. Have you read the god damn bag - the part where it has
directions for brining? And yes, it's always been there.

http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/mrtn-tndrqk.html

Please don't engage this asshole in any discussion of curing. Or
anything else for that matter. It's the same stupid questionS year
after year. And if you tell him you use saltpeter, then it will
only last another 10 years.

-sw

Ok. g

Thanks.

I'm new to the group...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-12-2009, 11:32 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:46:51 -0600, Omelet wrote:

I'm experimenting with Potassium Nitrate. 1 part Salt Petre to 15 parts
gray (mineral) salt, adding 2 tablespoons of that mix per gallon of
brine.

Now you've done it.

-sw

Your warning came too late. :-(

Gotta admire you at least for not being premature. eg
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-12-2009, 11:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
[ . . . ]
Please don't engage this asshole in any discussion of curing. Or
anything else for that matter. It's the same stupid questionS year
after year. And if you tell him you use saltpeter, then it will
only last another 10 years.

sigh K*nt is one of the Charter Members of my Bozo Bin. Of his posts, I
only see what others have quoted.

Being a newbie to this group, I had no idea.

Apologies.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-12-2009, 11:34 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article ,
Brian wrote:

Kent wrote:

This is exactly what happened in Germany in the
1930's

Godwin's Law has been invoked, this thread is officially over.

Brian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

laughs Even _I_ knew about that one!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-12-2009, 11:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

This became a "crapshoot" when I asked a reasonable question to OM.

You took advantage of a relative newbie to do your attention seeking leg
hump. It's the same old Kent-crap: ask a newbie the same questions that have
been answered a billion times. Be pretentious over obvious stuff by
insisting on an OCD breakdown of the newbies rationale and reasoning, and
then engage in why this or that microgram of ingredient might become a
hitherto unknown yet miraculous answer to curing or brining or roasting or
grilling or searing, etc ad infinitum. Just how many angels CAN dance on the
head of a pin, Kent?

Swertz, in his usual fashion made one of his usual caustic comments
rather than simply answering the question, or just keeping quiet.. I
haven't usually responded to his comments. This time I did.

Ever watch 'Sunshine Cleaners' Kent? Steve is just trying to get rid of the
rotten corpse smell that you always bring.

Now FOAD. Santa ain't coming to your house, Kent. He almost died from food
poisoning from the weird cookies you made last year. Who ever heard of
brining chocolate chip cookies in a warm garage anyway? Just how much
tenderquick did you use, freak-head?
--
Dave

Old 24-12-2009, 08:24 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
Or Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa ...

Anybody doing smoked turkey this year?

Not this year. I'm doing a TurDucHen for the very first time and I'm
going to roast it. If the family likes it, next year I'll smoke one.

--Brett
Old 24-12-2009, 08:53 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:

RegForte wrote:
Or Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa ...

Anybody doing smoked turkey this year?

Not this year. I'm doing a TurDucHen for the very first time and I'm
going to roast it. If the family likes it, next year I'll smoke one.

There you go. Start simple and then build on it.

Simple is a relative term though. Turducken is a fair amount of
hand work. The mere description of it is usually enough to wow the
guests and I bet it will be a hit.

As for me, I'm going to try the precook thing I learned from Jim
Minion. I do it all the time for stuff like brisket but I've never
done it for a whole turkey.

Today I'll smoke it at about 250 F until it not quite done. Maybe
165 F in the thigh, or thereabouts. Cool it and fridge it.

Tomorrow it goes back into a 400 F oven until complete, about
175-180 F in the thigh.

--
Reg
Old 29-12-2009, 05:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

RegForte said:

As for me, I'm going to try the precook thing I learned from Jim
Minion. I do it all the time for stuff like brisket but I've never
done it for a whole turkey.

Today I'll smoke it at about 250 F until it not quite done. Maybe
165 F in the thigh, or thereabouts. Cool it and fridge it.

Tomorrow it goes back into a 400 F oven until complete, about
175-180 F in the thigh.

Can you elaborate on the precook thing? I've had some success precooking
brisket and ribs to nearly done, and then reheating, usually in a loose foil
wrap. What's your technique?

MartyB

My terminology usage could be better. Actually it would
correctly be called "parcooking", meaning partial cooking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Par-cook

Cook the meat mostly but not completely, like for a brisket
around 160 F, then fridge it. On game day cook it all the way
through.

In this case, I cooked the turkey until about 160 F in the breast.
Fridged it until it all cooled. Then, and here's where things
get a little different, I cut out all the breast meat in two neat
pieces, and wrapped them in foil with some thyme, sage, and a pat
of butter.

On game day I cooked the remaining carcass, which was all dark meat,
to 180 F. The breast meat got reheated but not cooked and further.

This was the first time I've ever tried doing this with a
turkey and it came out perfect. I will definitely do it again,
especially when I'm feeling lazy.

--
Reg

Old 15-01-2010, 09:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

lol, wonder how that med would do in a brine? Lee

--
Have a wonderful day