Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Leg of lamb on a grill?

Has anyone done a whole leg of lamb on a grill or in a smoker?
Any good tips or suggestions? I'm probably going to be doing
one this year for Christmas, but have never done a whole leg
on the grill before.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 15, 10:47*am, wrote:
> Has anyone done a whole leg of lamb on a grill or in a smoker?
> Any good tips or suggestions? *I'm probably going to be doing
> one this year for Christmas, but have never done a whole leg
> on the grill before.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

You might want to use Google Groups and search this group for Louis
Cohen who used to post here quite abit about grilling and BBQing lamb.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...h6ww&scoring=d

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...rch+this+group

I've grilled other cuts of lamb successfully, lamb and grilling go
really well together. Good luck.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:20:30 -0600, Pete C. > wrote:

> I don't think LOL is amenable to low and slow smoking without drying
> out, so I'm thinking rotisserie. IR burner if you have it otherwise
> medium direct radiant heat. A little mild smoke couldn't hurt. Probably
> a pretty simple seasoning rub w/ salt, pepper, garlic and not a lot
> else.

LOL needs rosemary. It's a must in my opinion. I grew up in a country
where lamb is much more in use than in the US. It was rosemary all the
way. It still is for me every time lamb is being cooked. Hard to get good
lamb around here though.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message ...
> Has anyone done a whole leg of lamb on a grill or in a smoker?
> Any good tips or suggestions? I'm probably going to be doing
> one this year for Christmas, but have never done a whole leg
> on the grill before.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

I've done lots of leg of lamb on the grill; it's one of the great dishes in
the world.
Always do "bone in"; the bone maintains the moisture, and like standing rib
roast, adds something subtle to the flavor you can't quite define.
Always buy an American Lamb. They are larger; they have nicer more delicate
taste than lambs from either Australia or New Zealand.
Lamb must be cooked rare. I roast ours very slowly to 120F or so, and rest
it afterwards.
I cook the lamb on a "Weber 22" indirectly in the middle of the grill with
coals off to both sides.
Do not use a rotisserie. You don't need to. The bar, or shaft, overcooks the
center of the lamb. Getting a bone in leg and a rottisserie shaft coupled is
a negative event. You really don't accomplish anything.

Preparation:
The night before or the morning of, remove the fat and the connective
tissue, or "fell", that holds the lamb together. Make many stabs in the meat
..75" in depth, and add sprigs of fresh rosemary and slivers of garlic into
the meat. Let lamb sit at room temp. for several hours prior to cooking.
Salt with sea or kosher salt, and rub with cooking oil.
Prepare grill medium temp., about 350F, with drip pan under the center
of the grate. Place lamb on grate fat side up.
After 15 minutes reduce the grill temp. to about 300F, for slow
indirect cooking. After about 30 minutes, turn the lamb 90 degrees to one
side for about 20 minutes, and then to the opposite side for about 20
minutes. I sometimes add a small amount of wood at the beginning, sometimes
not.
When the lamb reaches an internal temp. of 120-125F near the bone,
remove and rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.
You should always have, or try to have a bottle of aged burgundy or pinot
noir with this dish.
We haven't done one for a couple of months; maybe it's time.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:20:30 -0600, Pete C. > wrote:
>
> > I don't think LOL is amenable to low and slow smoking without drying
> > out, so I'm thinking rotisserie. IR burner if you have it otherwise
> > medium direct radiant heat. A little mild smoke couldn't hurt. Probably
> > a pretty simple seasoning rub w/ salt, pepper, garlic and not a lot
> > else.

> LOL needs rosemary. It's a must in my opinion. I grew up in a country
> where lamb is much more in use than in the US. It was rosemary all the
> way. It still is for me every time lamb is being cooked. Hard to get good
> lamb around here though.

Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent > wrote:

> > wrote in message ...
> > Has anyone done a whole leg of lamb on a grill or in a smoker?
> > Any good tips or suggestions? I'm probably going to be doing
> > one this year for Christmas, but have never done a whole leg
> > on the grill before.
> >

> I've done lots of leg of lamb on the grill; it's one of the great dishes in
> the world.

I like lamb, and so does my wife, just don't cook it often.
It's hard to justify a whole LoL for the two of us, but since
this is for a family holiday dinner it's a good excuse to go
for it.

> Always buy an American Lamb. They are larger; they have nicer more delicate
> taste than lambs from either Australia or New Zealand.

There is a market near me that does halal meats, and the guy who
runs it does his own butchering. I talked to him about it yesterday
to find out how much lead time he needed. Clearly, this will be
American lamb. I'm going to get a smaller cut from him this week
to see how it works out. If it's good I may become a regular.

> Lamb must be cooked rare. I roast ours very slowly to 120F or so, and rest
> it afterwards.

Wow, I like lamb rare, but 120 seems a little too rare. Are you sure?

> Preparation:

I have saved and printed your preparation advice. It sounds good, thanks.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:47:26 -0600, Pete C. > wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:20:30 -0600, Pete C. > wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think LOL is amenable to low and slow smoking without drying
>> > out, so I'm thinking rotisserie. IR burner if you have it otherwise
>> > medium direct radiant heat. A little mild smoke couldn't hurt.

>> Probably
>> > a pretty simple seasoning rub w/ salt, pepper, garlic and not a lot
>> > else.

>> LOL needs rosemary. It's a must in my opinion. I grew up in a country
>> where lamb is much more in use than in the US. It was rosemary all the
>> way. It still is for me every time lamb is being cooked. Hard to get
>> good
>> lamb around here though.

> Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

Nope, no mint for me with LOA, but I do sometimes use Lingonberries to go
with it.

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:31:32 -0600, Kent > wrote:

> Always buy an American Lamb. They are larger; they have nicer more
> delicate
> taste than lambs from either Australia or New Zealand.

What? I agree that the US is great doing beef and chicken and even pork
here is good. But lamb, no. I have never in the ten years I've been here
gotten real good local lamb. The best I've gotten was going to the local
farmers market who had some available. It was locally organically raised
lamb. Pretty good. What I normally get is from New Zealand. It tastes more
like what I am used to from Scandinavia than anything from here in the US.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

>> Always buy an American Lamb. They are larger; they have nicer more
>> delicate
>> taste than lambs from either Australia or New Zealand.

> What? I agree that the US is great doing beef and chicken and even
> pork here is good. But lamb, no. I have never in the ten years I've
> been here gotten real good local lamb. The best I've gotten was going
> to the local farmers market who had some available. It was locally
> organically raised lamb. Pretty good. What I normally get is from New
> Zealand. It tastes more like what I am used to from Scandinavia than
> anything from here in the US.

Ever had a "pre-salé" lamb? They're incredible, I had it only once in a
nearby restaurant who got it's first michelin star with last year's edition
of the "red" guide, as it's called because of it's red cover.
They're from the northern coast of France, and are called pre-salé (salted
meadow) because the lambs graze on the seashore during low tide, after the
high tide has left marine salt on the ground. A specialty which is hard to
find here.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:31:32 -0600, Kent > wrote:
>
>> Always buy an American Lamb. They are larger; they have nicer more
>> delicate
>> taste than lambs from either Australia or New Zealand.

> What? I agree that the US is great doing beef and chicken and even pork
> here is good. But lamb, no. I have never in the ten years I've been
> here gotten real good local lamb. The best I've gotten was going to the
> local farmers market who had some available. It was locally organically
> raised lamb. Pretty good. What I normally get is from New Zealand. It
> tastes more like what I am used to from Scandinavia than anything from
> here in the US.

You haven't looked very hard.

Colorado lamb: A culinary star
http://www.denverpost.com/food/ci_5682099

--
Reg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message ...
> Kent > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message ...
>> > Has anyone done a whole leg of lamb on a grill or in a smoker?
>> > Any good tips or suggestions? I'm probably going to be doing
>> > one this year for Christmas, but have never done a whole leg
>> > on the grill before.
>> >

>> I've done lots of leg of lamb on the grill; it's one of the great dishes
>> in
>> the world.

> I like lamb, and so does my wife, just don't cook it often.
> It's hard to justify a whole LoL for the two of us, but since
> this is for a family holiday dinner it's a good excuse to go
> for it.
>
>> Always buy an American Lamb. They are larger; they have nicer more
>> delicate
>> taste than lambs from either Australia or New Zealand.

> There is a market near me that does halal meats, and the guy who
> runs it does his own butchering. I talked to him about it yesterday
> to find out how much lead time he needed. Clearly, this will be
> American lamb. I'm going to get a smaller cut from him this week
> to see how it works out. If it's good I may become a regular.
>
>> Lamb must be cooked rare. I roast ours very slowly to 120F or so, and
>> rest
>> it afterwards.

> Wow, I like lamb rare, but 120 seems a little too rare. Are you sure?
>
>> Preparation:

> I have saved and printed your preparation advice. It sounds good, thanks.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

I started roasting to the higher temps most do for leg of lamb, and
gradually reduced to the 120F-125F. If your fire is on the cool side and the
lamb is roasting very slowly, I'd go to 125F. If the grill is warmer than
that, which is usually the case, and the temp. seems to be rising fast, I'll
stop at 120F.

I just checked Julia Child's master recipe in her "The Way to Cook" book,
published in 1989, which is my next step when the Joy of Cooking doesn't
have what I want. For Julia 120F is very rare, 125F is rosy rare, 130F is
pinky rare. At that point juices start to drain to your drip pan. She
stresses resting after cooking to bring the internal temp. up 5 degrees. She
does, and I have placed the leg in a cooled warming oven[125F] to rest
longer, if you need to. I have to turn the warming oven on and off to make
sure it's not too hot and not further cooking the lamb.

Cheers,

Kent

BTW, if you don't have Julia's "The Way to Cook", it's available at a good
price.
http://www2.shopping.com/xPO-Book_Th...rian _Leatart
It's one of the greatest of all cookbooks, from a writer who remains
somewhere a dear friend.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 16, 2:15*pm, "Kent" > wrote:

> BTW, if you don't have Julia's "The Way to Cook", it's available at a good
> It's one of the greatest of all cookbooks, from a writer who remains
> somewhere a dear friend

Toast! And here's to wishing you were closer.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article . com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> > LOL needs rosemary. It's a must in my opinion. I grew up in a country
> > where lamb is much more in use than in the US. It was rosemary all the
> > way. It still is for me every time lamb is being cooked. Hard to get good
> > lamb around here though.

> Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:50:33 -0600, Omelet > wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
>> > LOL needs rosemary. It's a must in my opinion. I grew up in a country
>> > where lamb is much more in use than in the US. It was rosemary all the
>> > way. It still is for me every time lamb is being cooked. Hard to get

>> good
>> > lamb around here though.

>> Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

> I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
> never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.

No one mentioned the obvious: Garlic! I stuff cloves in along the bone
before roasting. Or maybe it isn't obvious to everyone?

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:50:33 -0600, Omelet > wrote:

> >> good
> >>
> >> Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

> > I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
> > never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.

> No one mentioned the obvious: Garlic! I stuff cloves in along the bone
> before roasting. Or maybe it isn't obvious to everyone?

Um, hello? I mentioned garlic in my first post.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > > LOL needs rosemary. It's a must in my opinion. I grew up in a country
> > > where lamb is much more in use than in the US. It was rosemary all the
> > > way. It still is for me every time lamb is being cooked. Hard to get good
> > > lamb around here though.

> > Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

> I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
> never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.

My theory is that the mint with lamb idea was cooked up by some lamb
producers in order to mask the wonderful flavor of lamb to try to sell
it to those with less discerning palates.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:35:47 -0600, Pete C. > wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:50:33 -0600, Omelet > wrote:

>> country

>> the

>> get

>> > I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
>> > never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.

>> No one mentioned the obvious: Garlic! I stuff cloves in along the bone
>> before roasting. Or maybe it isn't obvious to everyone?

> Um, hello? I mentioned garlic in my first post.

Sorry! Such a long thread. And btw, I said garlic with a "!"

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <op.u43xw4ld325jvr@christian-laptop>,
ceed > wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:50:33 -0600, Omelet > wrote:

> >> good
> >>
> >> Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

> > I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
> > never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.

> No one mentioned the obvious: Garlic! I stuff cloves in along the bone
> before roasting. Or maybe it isn't obvious to everyone?

Uh, Garlic is a given for _any_ roasted meat. ;-D
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article . com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Rosemary is acceptable. Mint is never acceptable however.

> > I do SO agree with that! I know mint is "traditional" for lamb but I
> > never did get that. Ruins a perfectly lovely flavored meat imho.

> My theory is that the mint with lamb idea was cooked up by some lamb
> producers in order to mask the wonderful flavor of lamb to try to sell
> it to those with less discerning palates.

Or maybe to go with mutton... <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein