Old 18-12-2009, 12:17 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Default Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:14:02 -0800 (PST), Tutall wrote:

On Dec 15, 7:50*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. *Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. *It looks and tastes much better in person.

Very interesting looking.

Thanks. I think ;-)

The pictures don't do this stuff justice. I just whip out these
pictures in a few seconds wihtout attention to details such as
lighting, etc.... Sorry if it kinda trips some of you out :-)

-sw

-sw

Posting pics on the 'net has actually made me pickier about my own
photography. g I never used to care much either, hence my early
"airplane" shots that are so unartistic!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 18-12-2009, 12:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:58:54 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

ceed wrote:

It's:

La Michoacana Meat Market
1917 E 7th Street
Austin, TX 78702

I pass it twice a day. As well as the on Stassney. I avoid shopping
there because they have a rule that you have to leave backpacks at the
front door where anybody can just walk out with them. Same reson I
don't shop at the HEB on Congress.

They don't make women leave their purses at the front door...

I go the La Haciendas instead. A new one opened on Stassney a couple
months ago, across First street from La Michoacana.

-sw

They did not come through. Turns out I will have to purchase half a pig to
get the cut I want. That's not going to happen right now. I simply do not
have room for it. So the hunt continues!

--
//ceed
Old 18-12-2009, 12:19 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

In article . com,
"Brick" wrote:

On 15-Dec-2009, Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
purple or they come out grey.

This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.

-sw

My monitor (laptop) displays them quite nicely. They are not gray.
They look liike real pork.

Same here on my flat screen. They did not look gray at all, but I could
brighten them up a bit with permission. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 18-12-2009, 04:02 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:16:19 -0600, Omelet wrote:

Actually, those pics aren't half bad. :-) Looks appetizing.
Would you like me to harvest them and run them thru photoshop for you?

Nah. I got he point acreoss and hopefully provided some inspiration
to someone (to try curing, not to photograph).

shrugs Ok!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 18-12-2009, 04:22 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:38:05 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:18:39 -0600, ceed wrote:

They did not come through. Turns out I will have to purchase half a pig
get the cut I want. That's not going to happen right now. I simply do
not
have room for it. So the hunt continues!

Did you read the rest of my first post?

Mt Supermarket has them out there on display every time I'm there.
I'm pretty sure Hong Kong market has them as well - but it's been
over a year since I've been there.

Yes I did. They are next on my list. The mexican market held me up a
couple of days. Tomorrow I'm going back in!

-sw

--
//ceed

Old 23-12-2009, 03:04 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:31:28 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

Sorry about the carniciera idea didn't work out. But I swear that's
the same cut that they deep fry whole and sell pieces of to order.
First China BBQ also does something similar, but it contains more of
the back portion of the pig other than the side belly.

-sw

Update: I ended up purchasing a whole 36 lb piglet at Lonestar Meat (E 6th
St.). I brought a picture of the cut I wanted and stayed with the butcher
while he cut the pig. In addition I ended up with two hams I am going to
cure, shoulders ground up for "medister-kaker" and a head for tamales. And
those to rib cuts I ended up with looks great! Thank you all for your
suggestions and help

--
//ceed