FoodBanter.com

-   -   Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT). (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/391951-where-purchase-juleribbe-slightly.html)

ceed[_3_] 14-12-2009 04:38 AM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

Hi,

Since I got great advice here on finding good turkey for Thanksgiving in
the Austin, TX area I try again: This year we have decided to do Norwegian
food for Christmas. I am originally from there, but haven't done a
Norwegian Christmas here in the US before. What I need to get hold of is a
"Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut looks like this:

http://is.gd/5mjQy

And this is how it's cooked:

http://is.gd/5mjSq

My problem is that I do not know where I can go to get the right cut pork
rib.. So if anyone here knows of some place around Austin who may have
this, or could potentially get hold of it for me it would be greatly
appreciated.

Sorry for being a little OT, but we are talking meat although it's not
really barbecued. But done right it's pretty damn good! :)

--
//ceed

Ekal Byar 14-12-2009 04:50 AM

"ceed" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Since I got great advice here on finding good turkey for Thanksgiving in
> the Austin, TX area I try again: This year we have decided to do Norwegian
> food for Christmas. I am originally from there, but haven't done a
> Norwegian Christmas here in the US before. What I need to get hold of is a
> "Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut looks like this:
>
> http://is.gd/5mjQy
>
> And this is how it's cooked:
>
> http://is.gd/5mjSq
>
> My problem is that I do not know where I can go to get the right cut pork
> rib.. So if anyone here knows of some place around Austin who may have
> this, or could potentially get hold of it for me it would be greatly
> appreciated.

I have no idea how to help you, but it sounds good.....interesting. Good
luck with it, and please check back with your results.

> Sorry for being a little OT, but we are talking meat although it's not
> really barbecued. But done right it's pretty damn good! :)

I bet it is closer to being OnTopic than that candy-ass shit that nonnymouse
posted. In fact, it's more OnTopic than most of the sheet that is posted
here these days.

ceed[_3_] 14-12-2009 04:53 AM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:50:01 -0600, Ekal Byar >
wrote:

> I have no idea how to help you, but it sounds good.....interesting. Good
> luck with it, and please check back with your results.
>>
>> Sorry for being a little OT, but we are talking meat although it's not
>> really barbecued. But done right it's pretty damn good! :)

> I bet it is closer to being OnTopic than that candy-ass shit that
> nonnymouse
> posted. In fact, it's more OnTopic than most of the sheet that is posted
> here these days.

I have noticed that this group has been infested with a lot of trolling
lately. It didn't use to be that way. Sad. Thank you for responding
though! :)

--
//ceed

ceed[_3_] 14-12-2009 12:53 PM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:51:47 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:38:57 -0600, ceed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since I got great advice here on finding good turkey for Thanksgiving in
>> the Austin, TX area I try again:

> Actually, that was austin.food, not RFC.

Sorry. My memory didn't serve me well this time! :)

--
//ceed

Tutall 14-12-2009 03:53 PM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Dec 13, 7:56*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:
> "Ekal Byar" > wrote
>
> >candy-ass shit

> Please stay on topic.

You think it might be related to the chocolate bark thread instead?

ViLco 14-12-2009 04:40 PM

ceed wrote:

> hold of is a "Juleribe". It's pork rib with the skin on. The cut
> looks like this:
> http://is.gd/5mjQy
>
> And this is how it's cooked:
>
> http://is.gd/5mjSq

Here in Reggio Emilia (Italy) we make something along those lines but we use
piglet instead of pig, cooking it low and slow in a pan and adding some
aceto balsamico tradizionale. It rocks ;)
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Tutall 16-12-2009 05:14 AM

On Dec 15, 7:50*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
> >http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
> >http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
> >http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

> Note that my camera has a problem with pink. *Either they come out
> purple or they come out grey.
>
> This is the latter. *It looks and tastes much better in person.
>
> -sw

Very interesting looking.

ViLco 16-12-2009 12:46 PM

Sqwertz wrote:

> (I hope I got those right - otherwise search Tinypic.com for
> "sqwertz belly").

I gave up watching pron
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

ceed[_3_] 16-12-2009 04:34 PM

wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:51:47 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Hong Kong Market or MT Supermarket will have them skin off or on.
>> All the Mexican carnicieras will have it for the asking (they deep
>> fry them whole), provided you speak Spanish or take a Spanish
>> speaker with you.
>>
>> Crossposted to austin.food....

> (...or at least I *thought* it was the first time around)
>
> Ceed,
>
> You may be interested in these. These are sold at HEB and are
> almost what you're looking for. These are labeled "Karubi Ribs" and
> are only sold at HEB this time of year. Do not ask me the logic
> behind the naming or the seasonality of the ribs - usually HEB
> doesn't pull these naming gimmicks. But they've had them for the
> past 3 years of Novembers and Decembers.
>
> These do not have the skin on, but would probably be more what
> you're looking for. Note that you will not find Scandinavian pork
> here in the US, and I don't think that recipe as shown in that video
> will produce tasty results when made with any pork you'll buy here
> in Austin. 99.75% Americans would completely gross out at the
> amount of fat and skin an baked piece of pork belly as shown in that
> recipe.
>
> These ribs were wet-cured with Prauge #1 and tons of crushed garlic
> for 2 days and left to dry in the fridge for 1 day. Then sprinkled
> with granulated garlic and coarse pepper and cooked in the oven,
> slightly tented with foil, for 4.25 hours at 300F.
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
> http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
> http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg
>
> (I hope I got those right - otherwise search Tinypic.com for
> "sqwertz belly").
>
> These make a great charcuterie platter when sliced and pan fried or
> baked at 450F to crisp (or deep fried? Gotta try that). They're not
> completely in the Norweigian tradition, of course. You may want to
> consider it as an alternative.
>
> I've been experimenting with curing techniques on various cuts of
> pork before I start smoking again. Getting the cure and salt
> correct, for each method of dry and wet curing, is difficult for
> each cut of pork (or mixture thereof). These I did tonight.
>
> Let me know if you need more detailed explanation. It's way past my
> early-assed bedtime. I have a real job besides shopping at HEB and
> tending to my pork.
>
> -sw (oink)

Thank you for that! I will go to HEB and check it out. Unfortunately,
having the skin on is very important. The skin is cut and cooked so that
it becomes crisp. It's eaten with the meat for Christmas dinner (which is
on Christmas Eve in Norway). Also, one Mexican meat market I went to took
an order after I showed them a picture of the cut I wanted. They claimed
they will have exactly what I am looking for tomorrow, Thursday. I will
report back if they come through and deliver the goods! :)

--
//ceed

ceed[_3_] 16-12-2009 04:35 PM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:50:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>

>> http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
>> http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
>> http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

> Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
> purple or they come out grey.
>
> This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.
>
> -sw

Looks very close. I'm on my way to have a look in person! :)
--
//ceed

Brick[_3_] 16-12-2009 04:44 PM

On 15-Dec-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>

> > http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
> > http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
> > http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

> Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
> purple or they come out grey.
>
> This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.
>
> -sw

My monitor (laptop) displays them quite nicely. They are not gray.
They look liike real pork.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Brick[_3_] 16-12-2009 04:46 PM

On 15-Dec-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:14:02 -0800 (PST), Tutall wrote:

> >> Note that my camera has a problem with pink. *Either they come out
> >> purple or they come out grey.
> >>
> >> This is the latter. *It looks and tastes much better in person.

> > Very interesting looking.

> Thanks. I think ;-)
>
> The pictures don't do this stuff justice. I just whip out these
> pictures in a few seconds wihtout attention to details such as
> lighting, etc.... Sorry if it kinda trips some of you out :-)
>
> -sw

Didn't trip me out. The pictures are fine. Nice size, nice color.
Couldn't/wouldn't want anything better.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

ceed[_3_] 16-12-2009 11:22 PM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:21:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:34:39 -0600, ceed wrote:
>
>> Thank you for that! I will go to HEB and check it out. Unfortunately,
>> having the skin on is very important. The skin is cut and cooked so that
>> it becomes crisp. It's eaten with the meat for Christmas dinner (which
>> is
>> on Christmas Eve in Norway). Also, one Mexican meat market I went to
>> took
>> an order after I showed them a picture of the cut I wanted. They claimed
>> they will have exactly what I am looking for tomorrow, Thursday. I will
>> report back if they come through and deliver the goods! :)

> Let us know which one it was if they come through (I'm sure they
> will).
>
> -sw

It's:

La Michoacana Meat Market
1917 E 7th Street
Austin, TX 78702

--
//ceed

Sqwertz 17-12-2009 10:58 PM

ceed wrote:

> It's:
>
> La Michoacana Meat Market
> 1917 E 7th Street
> Austin, TX 78702

I pass it twice a day. As well as the on Stassney. I avoid shopping
there because they have a rule that you have to leave backpacks at the
front door where anybody can just walk out with them. Same reson I don't
shop at the HEB on Congress.

They don't make women leave their purses at the front door...

I go the La Haciendas instead. A new one opened on Stassney a couple
months ago, across First street from La Michoacana.

-sw

Omelet[_7_] 18-12-2009 01:16 AM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>

> > http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
> > http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
> > http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

> Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
> purple or they come out grey.
>
> This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.
>
> -sw

Actually, those pics aren't half bad. :-) Looks appetizing.
Would you like me to harvest them and run them thru photoshop for you?

It's actually easier to enhance the reds and pinks than compensate for
purpling.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 18-12-2009 01:17 AM

Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:14:02 -0800 (PST), Tutall wrote:

> >> Note that my camera has a problem with pink. *Either they come out
> >> purple or they come out grey.
> >>
> >> This is the latter. *It looks and tastes much better in person.

> > Very interesting looking.

> Thanks. I think ;-)
>
> The pictures don't do this stuff justice. I just whip out these
> pictures in a few seconds wihtout attention to details such as
> lighting, etc.... Sorry if it kinda trips some of you out :-)
>
> -sw
>
> -sw

Posting pics on the 'net has actually made me pickier about my own
photography. <g> I never used to care much either, hence my early
"airplane" shots that are so unartistic!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

ceed[_3_] 18-12-2009 01:18 AM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:58:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> ceed wrote:
>
>> It's:
>>
>> La Michoacana Meat Market
>> 1917 E 7th Street
>> Austin, TX 78702

> I pass it twice a day. As well as the on Stassney. I avoid shopping
> there because they have a rule that you have to leave backpacks at the
> front door where anybody can just walk out with them. Same reson I
> don't shop at the HEB on Congress.
>
> They don't make women leave their purses at the front door...
>
> I go the La Haciendas instead. A new one opened on Stassney a couple
> months ago, across First street from La Michoacana.
>
> -sw

They did not come through. Turns out I will have to purchase half a pig to
get the cut I want. That's not going to happen right now. I simply do not
have room for it. So the hunt continues! :)

--
//ceed

Omelet[_7_] 18-12-2009 01:19 AM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

In article . com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 15-Dec-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
> >

> > > http://i48.tinypic.com/abht0k.jpg
> > > http://i50.tinypic.com/290wu53.jpg
> > > http://i46.tinypic.com/24o7dlf.jpg

> > Note that my camera has a problem with pink. Either they come out
> > purple or they come out grey.
> >
> > This is the latter. It looks and tastes much better in person.
> >
> > -sw

> My monitor (laptop) displays them quite nicely. They are not gray.
> They look liike real pork.

Same here on my flat screen. They did not look gray at all, but I could
brighten them up a bit with permission. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 18-12-2009 05:02 AM

Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:16:19 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Actually, those pics aren't half bad. :-) Looks appetizing.
> > Would you like me to harvest them and run them thru photoshop for you?

> Nah. I got he point acreoss and hopefully provided some inspiration
> to someone (to try curing, not to photograph).

<shrugs> Ok!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

ceed[_3_] 18-12-2009 05:22 AM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:38:05 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:18:39 -0600, ceed wrote:
>
>> They did not come through. Turns out I will have to purchase half a pig
>> get the cut I want. That's not going to happen right now. I simply do
>> not
>> have room for it. So the hunt continues! :)

> Did you read the rest of my first post?
>
> Mt Supermarket has them out there on display every time I'm there.
> I'm pretty sure Hong Kong market has them as well - but it's been
> over a year since I've been there.

Yes I did. They are next on my list. The mexican market held me up a
couple of days. Tomorrow I'm going back in!

--
//ceed

ceed[_3_] 23-12-2009 04:04 PM

Where to purchase Juleribbe? (Slightly OT).

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:31:28 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> Sorry about the carniciera idea didn't work out. But I swear that's
> the same cut that they deep fry whole and sell pieces of to order.
> First China BBQ also does something similar, but it contains more of
> the back portion of the pig other than the side belly.
>
> -sw

Update: I ended up purchasing a whole 36 lb piglet at Lonestar Meat (E 6th
St.). I brought a picture of the cut I wanted and stayed with the butcher
while he cut the pig. In addition I ended up with two hams I am going to
cure, shoulders ground up for "medister-kaker" and a head for tamales. And
those to rib cuts I ended up with looks great! Thank you all for your
suggestions and help

--
//ceed