mtbchip

Default Tail of the Tri Tip

So , once again, with STEAK in mind, I get the "K7" to searing hot 620°. I
learned from the previous experience NOT to have the grill in the K while
bringing up the heat. Last time one of the rods on the beefy stainless
steel grill (this ain't no skinny Weber grill, no offense Weber lovers)
warped from the intense heat!!!!

ANYway. The pre-marinated Tri Tip Strips were thrown on the grill 2 minutes
after the grill was put on to warm up. Keeping the vents WIDE open, the top
was lowered on the steaks, 2.5 minutes one side, 2.5 minutes the other, then
flipped once more and the vents shut all the way. Came back 5 minutes
later, opened the vents (to avoid a BIG flash) and rescued the meat from the
hungry fire.

I thought perfect, the wife likes her steak a little more well done, thus
good thing the Costco Tri Tips strips are irregularly shaped, we found a
thinner piece for her.

I don't think I'd do this any different next time.........

.......well, I could have added a small piece of smoke wood for smoke
flavoring. YEAH, that what I'll do next time.

Chip

Nathan Lau

mtbchip wrote:

> So , once again, with STEAK in mind, I get the "K7" to searing hot 620°. I
> learned from the previous experience NOT to have the grill in the K while
> bringing up the heat. Last time one of the rods on the beefy stainless
> steel grill (this ain't no skinny Weber grill, no offense Weber lovers)
> warped from the intense heat!!!!
>
> ANYway. The pre-marinated Tri Tip Strips were thrown on the grill 2 minutes
> after the grill was put on to warm up. Keeping the vents WIDE open, the top
> was lowered on the steaks, 2.5 minutes one side, 2.5 minutes the other, then
> flipped once more and the vents shut all the way. Came back 5 minutes
> later, opened the vents (to avoid a BIG flash) and rescued the meat from the
> hungry fire.
>
> I thought perfect, the wife likes her steak a little more well done, thus
> good thing the Costco Tri Tips strips are irregularly shaped, we found a
> thinner piece for her.
>
> I don't think I'd do this any different next time.........
>
> ......well, I could have added a small piece of smoke wood for smoke
> flavoring. YEAH, that what I'll do next time.

I can't think of a better wood than red oak for tri-tip.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Nathan Lau

mtbchip wrote:

> So , once again, with STEAK in mind, I get the "K7" to searing hot 620°. I
> learned from the previous experience NOT to have the grill in the K while
> bringing up the heat. Last time one of the rods on the beefy stainless
> steel grill (this ain't no skinny Weber grill, no offense Weber lovers)
> warped from the intense heat!!!!
>
> ANYway. The pre-marinated Tri Tip Strips were thrown on the grill 2 minutes
> after the grill was put on to warm up. Keeping the vents WIDE open, the top
> was lowered on the steaks, 2.5 minutes one side, 2.5 minutes the other, then
> flipped once more and the vents shut all the way. Came back 5 minutes
> later, opened the vents (to avoid a BIG flash) and rescued the meat from the
> hungry fire.
>
> I thought perfect, the wife likes her steak a little more well done, thus
> good thing the Costco Tri Tips strips are irregularly shaped, we found a
> thinner piece for her.
>
> I don't think I'd do this any different next time.........
>
> ......well, I could have added a small piece of smoke wood for smoke
> flavoring. YEAH, that what I'll do next time.

I can't think of a better wood than red oak for tri-tip.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
cl

"mtbchip" > wrote in message
> So , once again, with STEAK in mind, I get the "K7" to searing hot 620°.

> learned from the previous experience NOT to have the grill in the K while
> bringing up the heat. Last time one of the rods on the beefy stainless
> steel grill (this ain't no skinny Weber grill, no offense Weber lovers)
> warped from the intense heat!!!!

Just for the record, after a wee bit of blowing with the bellows, I
registered 1200deg at the grate with lump on a skinny weber.

On a side note, I routinely run my modded propane JA to 1100 deg at the
grate (750 in the hood) and the porc. cast iron grates have no problem.

-CAL

cl

Ox tail recipe KenK General Cooking 4 14-10-2011 10:15 PM
What to do with 1 lb of Alligator tail Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 17 14-12-2010 05:12 AM
Pig Tail Barbecue Tool Nonnymus[_5_] Barbecue 14 09-10-2007 11:29 PM
Braised Ox-Tail Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 1 09-02-2004 09:45 AM