Peter Bulthuis

Default The best barbecue

Hello,

I've just bought a Weber barbecue. But what's the best barbecue in town?

Peter

BOB

Peter Bulthuis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just bought a Weber barbecue. But what's the best barbecue in town?
>
> Peter

I think that you mean that you bought a Webber barbecue *GRILL* since barbecue
is the end result, or the process of making barbecue.

Now, to answer your question, what is better, a Ford or a Chevy?

I'm convinved that a Kamado is the best barbecue grill/smoker/oven, etc. but
others have their own preferences. If your Webber is the Webber Smokey
Mountain, then yes, you have an excellent smoker/barbecue grill.

BOB

GmagicB

"mtbchip" > wrote in message
> in article , > >
> Ask anyone except a Kamado owner and the answers vary. Otherwise it's
> Kamado hands down.
>
> Mtbchip

I'be been thinking about ordering a K. Question for you users, in two parts:
1. Is the largest K. a 19" now; and,
2. How much can meat can you smoke at one time in a K?

I tend to cook two or three 15 - 20 lb. briskets at a time, or several
butts, you get the picture. How suitable is a large K. for those kinds of
quantities, if at all?

Thanks,
George

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:38:58 GMT, "GmagicB" >
wrote:

>"mtbchip" > wrote in message
>> in article , > >
>> Ask anyone except a Kamado owner and the answers vary. Otherwise it's
>> Kamado hands down.
>>
>> Mtbchip

>I'be been thinking about ordering a K. Question for you users, in two parts:
>1. Is the largest K. a 19" now; and,

Nope. The 9 has a 25" grill.
http://www.kamado.com/Prices.htm

>2. How much can meat can you smoke at one time in a K?

The 9 has 491 sq inches of grilling space. Add a top bracket and
you'll almost double that.

Go here for more specs:
http://www.kamado.com/Prices.htm

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
BOB

GmagicB wrote:
> "mtbchip" > wrote in message
>> in article , > >
>> Ask anyone except a Kamado owner and the answers vary. Otherwise it's
>> Kamado hands down.
>>
>> Mtbchip

> I'be been thinking about ordering a K. Question for you users, in two parts:
> 1. Is the largest K. a 19" now; and,

No, my Kamado #5 has an 18" main grill.
The #7 has a 22.5" main grill, and the #9 has a 25" main grill.
You can get an upper bracket and grill for each (the size of the upper grill is
about the same size as the main for the next smaller size). I've seen a picture
with 4 levels on a #9, main grill (25"), upper bracket and grill (22"), upper
bracket and grill from a #7 (18"), then an upper bracket and grill from a #5
(15"). That's a lot of space in a ceramic cooker.

Rumor has it that a #11 is coming "soon"

> 2. How much can meat can you smoke at one time in a K?

Ive cooked 6 'about' 7# butts at once on my K5, using the main grill and the
upper grill.

> I tend to cook two or three 15 - 20 lb. briskets at a time, or several
> butts, you get the picture. How suitable is a large K. for those kinds of
> quantities, if at all?

I bet you could do it with a set-up similar to what I described above. I've
cooked a 15# brisket under two 7# butts on my #5, also a 16# brisket and a 12#er
together. The #3 will cook a 14 pound brisket if it is cut to fit the grill,
and stacked (OK, we were camping, and wanted brisket...I brought the K3 and a
friend brought the brisket, thinking I was crazy enough to take the #5 camping,
you do what ya gotta do!)

> Thanks,
> George

Remember, Kamados can be used for bbq, grilling, baking, bread baking, pizza,
and tandori style.

BOB
who wants a K7 and a K9 to complete the family

GmagicB

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

> The 9 has 491 sq inches of grilling space. Add a top bracket and
> you'll almost double that.
>
> Go here for more specs:
> http://www.kamado.com/Prices.htm

Yeah, I checked it out. The site makes mention of a new model coming the
#11. Any idea what size it will be? If there was more info on the site than
just that "not available yet" I didn't see it.

Later,
George

BOB

GmagicB wrote:
> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>
>> The 9 has 491 sq inches of grilling space. Add a top bracket and
>> you'll almost double that.
>>
>> Go here for more specs:
>> http://www.kamado.com/Prices.htm
>>

> Yeah, I checked it out. The site makes mention of a new model coming the
> #11. Any idea what size it will be? If there was more info on the site than
> just that "not available yet" I didn't see it.
>
> Later,
> George

As I understand, it's in research and development. Meaning (afaict) that there
are probably one or two being used/tested for thermal expansion, thickness of
the ceramic needed, etc. I don't really expect to see one for a year or two.

BOB

Brick

On 6-Oct-2004, "Peter Bulthuis" > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just bought a Weber barbecue. But what's the best barbecue in town?
>
> Peter

Peter, BBQ is food, not a tool to make food. As to your question, do you
want to grill or slow cook? If you want to grill, decide between gas and
charcoal. In either case buy a Weber. If you want to slow cook, buy an
offset on the low end (~$175) or the high end Kamado (~500+). Suggest you
read the FAQ for this group, which URL I can't recall at this time, but I'm sure
someone will direct you to it. Also try http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ and
http://www.kamado.com/. These sites will likely tell you more about BBQ then
grilling, but then I don't know of any grilling sites. My bad.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

best barbecue alexwilliamsd General Cooking 1 10-09-2012 04:12 AM
Taking a crack at defining and explalinin barbecue was Simple barbecue sauce Chris Malme Barbecue 0 30-09-2011 10:29 AM
barbecue [email protected] Barbecue 2 05-09-2007 09:28 AM
Barbecue Dry Rub A. Cox Recipes (moderated) 0 10-06-2005 03:58 AM
LC Barbecue Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 06-05-2004 10:32 PM