Jeff Givens

Default Best Butt Yet! (But how best to reheat?)

As a newbie doing an occasional butt in an electric smoker I've made 'em
with varying degrees of success. All tasty, just not all pullable. I've
been shooting for 190F as a minimum but the time in a smoker for a 7 or so
pounder (bone-in) is very long - approaching 11 hours + at appx. 250F.

So this last one I did it with determination to see the north side of 190.
As it reached 190 (about 9.5 hours) it just stayed there. This time I let
it stay. After almost 2 hours it was until it started to rise, and quickly,
perhaps a degree every 15 minutes. At about 192 or 193 I brought it in, let
it sit, and then (expectantly) jabbed it. In front of my eyes chunks o' pig
just fell off onto the plate. Not only was it totally de-collagenized but
it was the tastiest damn thing I can think of ever eating. I am guessing
that, as often mentioned, that since 190 is the magic collagen point, I
figure that all the thermal energy is going into the collagen breakdown and
thus the long period holding at 190, followed by the (relatively) rapid
ramp up in temp when all broken down. I had never reached this point of
thermal behavior and, not surprisingly, never reached this point of such
succulent pork.

My Glub it was good. Now for some advice: What's the best way to store and
prepare 'old' pulled pork? I mean, even the next day reheated, while still
mighty tasty, just pales in comparison to its first 30 minutes in its new
world. It seems that all the rendered fat is somehow distributed throughout
the meat nicely and when cooled and re-heated perhaps something is lost. I
can't place exactly what is lacking but having had it right out of the
smoker and then a day later I can't help but be wistful of how it 'was'.

Check out my butt!

http://fatdrunkandstupid.org/butt1.jpg
http://fatdrunkandstupid.org/butt2.jpg
http://fatdrunkandstupid.org/butt3.jpg
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Ol' Hippie

Cook up some Enchiladas using your left over Pork, or add to a pot of beans,
Tacos are great too, believe me experiment & you will never be disappointed.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:28:45 -0400, Jeff Givens
> wrote:

>My Glub it was good. Now for some advice: What's the best way to store and
>prepare 'old' pulled pork?

Nice pics. That's the real deal, alright.

I usually do three or four 8-pounders at a time, pull the pork, then
vacuum seal it in serving sizes of two or three sandwiches and freeze
it. To reheat, I either put thawed pork into a steamer basket for a
couple minutes, or drop the bag into boiling water. At work, I nuke
the pork for a couple minutes without too much loss in flavor or
effect on the texture.

Nothing is quite like hunks of pork pulled right after it's come off
the smoker, but the re-heated stuff comes pretty close.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Jeff Givens

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:22:48 -0600 Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>I usually do three or four 8-pounders at a time, pull the pork, then
>vacuum seal it in serving sizes of two or three sandwiches and freeze
>it. To reheat, I either put thawed pork into a steamer basket for a
>couple minutes, or drop the bag into boiling water. At work, I nuke
>the pork for a couple minutes without too much loss in flavor or
>effect on the texture.

That's interesting - boiling in the bag. I've been microwaving in a covered
container in an attempt to retain all the moisture. I'll try the steamer
part as well - although it seems to me that some flavorings/juices may be
lost through the basket pores, but I'll give it a try.
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:51:30 -0400, Jeff Givens
> wrote:

>That's interesting - boiling in the bag. I've been microwaving in a covered
>container in an attempt to retain all the moisture. I'll try the steamer
>part as well - although it seems to me that some flavorings/juices may be
>lost through the basket pores, but I'll give it a try.

You won't lose much. Gently steam it, and only for as long as
necessary or the pork will get tough and rubbery.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

AG

"Jeff Givens" > wrote in message
<snip>
What's the best way to store and
> prepare 'old' pulled pork?

<snip>

I just reheated 4lbs (thawed) for a reunion in one of those stoneware 9x13
pans. I added a little water and covered it in foil and heated at 400 for
about 20-30 mins. It was nice and tender and moist and the stoneware helped
it hold heat longer. I think a big thing is to make sure the meat is thawed
before doing it this way or some parts will overheat and dryout before other
parts thaw.

ag

Duwop

"Ol' Hippie" > wrote in message >...
> Cook up some Enchiladas using your left over Pork, or add to a pot of beans,
> Tacos are great too, believe me experiment & you will never be disappointed.
> Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Looks up a recent thread with the subject "Different ways to use
leftover pulled pork?"

I riffed on something Pierre posted and really liked it:

Approx measurements:

2 Anaheim Chiles
1 Large Jalapeno
5 Garlic cloves (minced/crushed)
2 Red potatoes (boiled)
1.5 Tomato chopped
1T Oregano
X.Large handful pulled pork

I put the chiles under the broiler and skinned, seeded and cleaned.
Yeah, the Jalapeno too, I like the softening the broiling does.
Chopped the result into medium to small chunk/strips.

Started in the fry pan browning the potatoes in the frying pan, added
a little S&P.
When they were about 3/4 done added 5 cloves garlic using the ever
handy garlic press.
Added Oregano,add Chiles, let cook a bit
Add Pork to heat up
Last thing I did was add the tomato, wanted it fresh tasting, not too
cooked.

1st night put the concoction in a tortilla, it was ok.
Next day put the mess into the fry pan, let it heat up, added eggs and
let it cook up.

WOW, that's Man Food.

Duwop

"Ol' Hippie" > wrote in message >...
> Cook up some Enchiladas using your left over Pork, or add to a pot of beans,
> Tacos are great too, believe me experiment & you will never be disappointed.
> Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Looks up a recent thread with the subject "Different ways to use
leftover pulled pork?"

I riffed on something Pierre posted and really liked it:

Approx measurements:

2 Anaheim Chiles
1 Large Jalapeno
5 Garlic cloves (minced/crushed)
2 Red potatoes (boiled)
1.5 Tomato chopped
1T Oregano
X.Large handful pulled pork

I put the chiles under the broiler and skinned, seeded and cleaned.
Yeah, the Jalapeno too, I like the softening the broiling does.
Chopped the result into medium to small chunk/strips.

Started in the fry pan browning the potatoes in the frying pan, added
a little S&P.
When they were about 3/4 done added 5 cloves garlic using the ever
handy garlic press.
Added Oregano,add Chiles, let cook a bit
Add Pork to heat up
Last thing I did was add the tomato, wanted it fresh tasting, not too
cooked.

1st night put the concoction in a tortilla, it was ok.
Next day put the mess into the fry pan, let it heat up, added eggs and
let it cook up.

WOW, that's Man Food.

Jeff Givens

On 4 Oct 2004 19:01:23 -0700 (Duwop) wrote:

>Looks up a recent thread with the subject "Different ways to use
>leftover pulled pork?"

Got it. Thx.

http://tinyurl.com/6rnoc

Reheat panini? Mike C General Cooking 5 15-03-2007 02:47 AM
Old-fashioned way to reheat food? Christine Dabney General Cooking 27 04-08-2006 08:22 PM
Foodsaver - how long would these foods keep, and how would I reheat them? [email protected] General Cooking 2 04-09-2005 12:45 AM
Can I Use a Slow Cooker to Reheat Food Johnny Cache General Cooking 9 17-10-2004 03:09 PM
How many times can I reheat a chicken Goomba38 General Cooking 10 13-10-2004 11:19 PM