BOB

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
>>>

>> Nice move, Grasshopper. Chew out the group, mouth off at Curry; good
>> entrance!
>>
>> Harry

> andwotsdafollowupost?
>
> Jack

You didn't see it? It showed up here in hurry-kane crossroads 3 different
times.

BOB

BOB

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm not too impressed with 'SECRET' rub formulas. I use a lot of Cajun
>> rub,
>> but many wouldn't like it. Big Jim uses S & P more often then not and his
>> ribs are as good as I've eaten.
>>

> I've been keeping rubs down to less than a half dozen ingredients and it's
> usually ground chile, garlic, salt and pepper (damn, there's my 'secret rub'
> recipe let right outta the bag). My thinking is that the wood should be
> doing the talking and the rub adds that nice edge to it. But WTF do I know?
> I'm a drunk, ferchrissake.
>
> Jack

I'll bet that you can actually taste the meat that you bbq, and that the only
time you add sauce is when you've over-done it with the drink (while cooking,
dammit) and over cooked and dried out the meat. That's what *I* think you know.

BOB

BOB

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm not too impressed with 'SECRET' rub formulas. I use a lot of Cajun
>>> rub,
>>> but many wouldn't like it. Big Jim uses S & P more often then not and his
>>> ribs are as good as I've eaten.
>>>

>> I've been keeping rubs down to less than a half dozen ingredients and it's
>> usually ground chile, garlic, salt and pepper (damn, there's my 'secret rub'
>> recipe let right outta the bag). My thinking is that the wood should be
>> doing the talking and the rub adds that nice edge to it. But WTF do I know?
>> I'm a drunk, ferchrissake.
>>
>> Jack
>>

> I'm <hic> with ya on all counts Jack. My seasoning has run the gamut
> of elaborate concoctions to none to most things in-between. I've
> finally settled on good 'ol salt and fresh ground pepper. <hic>
>
> --
> Steve

I also return to the S & P when I've been off on a tangent and still want some
great tasting meat again.

BOB

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
t...
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm not too impressed with 'SECRET' rub formulas. I use a lot of Cajun
>>> rub,
>>> but many wouldn't like it. Big Jim uses S & P more often then not and
>>> his
>>> ribs are as good as I've eaten.
>>>

>> I've been keeping rubs down to less than a half dozen ingredients and
>> it's
>> usually ground chile, garlic, salt and pepper (damn, there's my 'secret
>> rub'
>> recipe let right outta the bag). My thinking is that the wood should be
>> doing the talking and the rub adds that nice edge to it. But WTF do I
>> know?
>> I'm a drunk, ferchrissake.
>>
>> Jack

> I'll bet that you can actually taste the meat that you bbq, and that the
> only time you add sauce is when you've over-done it with the drink (while
> cooking, dammit) and over cooked and dried out the meat. That's what *I*
> think you know.
>
> BOB

Yeah, I cannot tell a lie; there were a coupla times this summer where we
needed sauce, mos def! Both times with spares and the ribs were edible,
just dry. I blame myself.

Jack

Jack Sloan

" BOB" > wrote in message
news
> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > Jack Schidt® wrote:

his

> >> I've been keeping rubs down to less than a half dozen ingredients and

it's
> >> usually ground chile, garlic, salt and pepper (damn, there's my 'secret

rub'
> >> recipe let right outta the bag). My thinking is that the wood should

be
> >> doing the talking and the rub adds that nice edge to it. But WTF do I

know?
> >> I'm a drunk, ferchrissake.
> >>
> >> Jack
> >>

> > I'm <hic> with ya on all counts Jack. My seasoning has run the gamut
> > of elaborate concoctions to none to most things in-between. I've
> > finally settled on good 'ol salt and fresh ground pepper. <hic>
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> >

> I also return to the S & P when I've been off on a tangent and still want

some
> great tasting meat again.
>
> BOB

my "secret rub" is Cavender's Greek seasoning...and the fact that I slather
ribs ,brisket ,butts,and anything wild with cym before dusting good...sauce
goes on the table for anyone who asks (a rare occasion)
Cavender's is goood on steaks and chicken too.
Jack

GmagicB

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> Cavender's is goood on steaks and chicken too.
> Jack

Great on salads, too. It's staple here. We use a lot of it.

Later,
George

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:02:36 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>my "secret rub" is Cavender's Greek seasoning...

Does that come in a cardboard shaker with a cartoon Greek wearing a
chef hat on the front?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>my "secret rub" is Cavender's Greek seasoning...

Does that come in a cardboard shaker with a cartoon Greek wearing a
chef hat on the front?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
GmagicB

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message > Does that come in a
cardboard shaker with a cartoon Greek wearing a
> chef hat on the front?
>
> --

That's the ticket! Haven't ever tried is as a dry rub for anything, though I
expect it might pretty good on lamb with some garlic,good mustard and
rosemary.

Could be worth a try.

Later,
George

Later,
George

Jack Curry

Jack Sloan wrote:

> my "secret rub" is Cavender's Greek seasoning...and the fact that I
> slather ribs ,brisket ,butts,and anything wild with cym before
> dusting good...sauce goes on the table for anyone who asks (a rare
> occasion) Cavender's is goood on steaks and chicken too.
> Jack

Thanks for that Jack, I'm always looking for a new taste sensation. I'll
give it a shot.

Jack Curry
-Doing mojo wings tomorrow night-

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:19:46 +0100, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> I consider it both duty and pleasure to annoy harass disturb and make
>> miserable pathetic little bullying misanthropes like yourself. Any
>> more questions buttmunch?
>> >>

>Would it have anything to do that I am black?
>
>Graeme

Yes - it messes up my colour screen . . . . . . .

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:19:46 +0100, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> I consider it both duty and pleasure to annoy harass disturb and make
>> miserable pathetic little bullying misanthropes like yourself. Any
>> more questions buttmunch?
>> >>

>Would it have anything to do that I am black?
>
>Graeme

Yes - it messes up my colour screen . . . . . . .

Harry
Gus

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Gus wrote:
>
> > It is for Gus now to stop trying to pull their chains and egg them on
> > to more and more meanness. Obviously they don't need Gus to do that,
> > for they have sufficient meanness of thought and language without any
> > outside help needed. But this has been most interesting.

> Fair enough. I would suggest, however, that you quit characterizing
> individual reaction to your entrance to this ng, which rubbed a number of
> folks the wrong way, as anything other than a reaction to you. Quit

trying
> to analyze other folks.
> >
> > I truly do wish all here well, and I hope that the blood pressures and
> > stomach ulcers of several of the "regulars" might improve and give
> > them some rest and peace. Good Lord, they seem to need some of those.

> This is what I'm refering to. How do you know that the words I wrote were
> raising my blood pressure? Or that I was even angry? In real life, if
> someone rubs you the wrong way, one can call someone an 'idiot' ( just an
> example, not directed at anyone) in a calm voice and demeanor. So, again,

> would suggest that you give up on characterizing or categorizing any
> individual here. If you truly want to bury the hatchet, then bury it

without
> conditions.
>
> > In the meantime, let's get back to Q stuff. I will be pretty busy
> > during the next several weeks working on "Redneck's Kitchen." We
> > hope to roll it out sometime in late November or so. Got the recipes
> > well tested and the Qing methods pretty well doped out. Still need
> > to experiment some with breads and biscuits, but it will all come
> > along soon enough.

> I wish you the best of luck, Gus, and look forward to a long AFB
> relationship.
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Dave... and all....

It is not the mission of Gus to give anyone a bad time. It is, however,
Gus's advice to one and all that they be civil to anyone who appears on this
newsgroup, to not use gutter language, and to be amenable to accepting the
viewpoints and Q-methods of others who practice the profession and the hobby
of barbecue that may be different from their own.

Tomorrow Gus will be trying another new recipe in the hope that the food
produced from it not only tastes good, but IS good. With our Redneck's
Kitchen, we are going to TRY to make "country food" a popular thing "in the
city." Just like Dave and his pit BBQ business, we hope to make it a
practical thing and to have it pay for itself or maybe even make a buck or
two...

But, doggone it, there is no need to here or elsewhere tear into folks just
because you never met them before or because you do not understand what they
are "up to."

Anyway, Dave, I hope that your Q-business takes off nicely and makes you a
zillion bucks... but if you continue to cuss at Gus at or others, I hope
that those zillion bucks elude you until you wake up and die right, as the
saying goes. From the reading of your note here, I think that that you have
awakened and that all is well beween you and us "newbies."

Your note (above) is highly appreciated. I hope that you really mean to
welcome Gus and to welcome all of the other "newbies" who come along and and
who give us all some new ideas to think about.

Just to let you understand that I am really grateful to you and to others
who have offered criticisms of the "Redneck Rub Cookbook," that file has
been looked at with an editor's eye today and there have been some good
changes made to its wordings, thanks largely to you.

Best to you Dave, and to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Jack Schidt®

"Gus" > wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>> Gus wrote:
>>
>> > It is for Gus now to stop trying to pull their chains and egg them on
>> > to more and more meanness. Obviously they don't need Gus to do that,
>> > for they have sufficient meanness of thought and language without any
>> > outside help needed. But this has been most interesting.

Say Gus,

What's with all the 3rd person refs, dude? Are you really Bob Dole?

Jack

Gus

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 2-Oct-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove > wrote:
>
> > Gus wrote:
> > > "Stephen Russell" > wrote
> > > in message .. .

> <snip
>
> > Hmm.
> > Now Gus, I'm sure you're a fine Redneck fellow and all, but I'm starting

> > wonder just a little bit about your cooking techniques. First you foil

your
> > ribs and briskets, now you don't...and unless you're cooking some ribs

off a
> > piglet (I like 3 1/2 and downs, so I gotta wonder how small yours are),
> > yours are done in about half the time it takes mine at the same

temperature.
> > Tell me your clock stopped and you got the time wrong, Gus. Tell me

your
> > ribs took 4 hours or so, like mine do.

> I probably cook hotter then Jack does most of the time, but strangely

enough
> my ribs need something like four hours too. Oh, I cooked a rack of beef

ribs in
> an hour one time, but my cooker was damn near glowing red. Another time

some
> spares took close to seven hours, but I kept mopping them with apple juice

the last
> two hours. (Not recommended). Typical average is around four hours at

reasonable
> 'Q' temperatures.
>
> > Come to think of it, you sure do want us to know how those ribs were

"really
> > loaded down with Redneck Rub (R)," which is a secret recipe only

available
> > from you and just happens to be the main ingredient in every recipe in

your
> > cookbook.
> > Maybe I'm just a dumb cracker, but I'm starting to wonder if you're

trying
> > to sell us something.
> > Allay my fears, Gus, 'cause I hate being used.
> >
> > Jack Curry
> > -say it ain't so-

> I'm not too impressed with 'SECRET' rub formulas. I use a lot of Cajun

rub,
> but many wouldn't like it. Big Jim uses S & P more often then not and his
> ribs are as good as I've eaten.
>
> That made me hungry. Got some trotters thawing. Maybe I'll brown them
> and throw them in with some white beans. There's not enough to justify
> firing up the pit.
> --
> Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Nothing wrong with "Cajun Rub" whatever that may be. Wished I knew what
"trotters"were, but Q folks are always coming along with one thing after
another...

;-) Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> >
> > I'm not too impressed with 'SECRET' rub formulas. I use a lot of Cajun
> > rub,
> > but many wouldn't like it. Big Jim uses S & P more often then not and

his
> > ribs are as good as I've eaten.
> >

> I've been keeping rubs down to less than a half dozen ingredients and it's
> usually ground chile, garlic, salt and pepper (damn, there's my 'secret

rub'
> recipe let right outta the bag). My thinking is that the wood should be
> doing the talking and the rub adds that nice edge to it. But WTF do I

know?
> I'm a drunk, ferchrissake.
>
> Jack

Saints Preserve Us...Jack, rub is what you make of it!

Gus Kiothau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Gus" > wrote in message

> Say Gus,
>
> What's with all the 3rd person refs, dude? Are you really Bob Dole?
>
> Jack

Gus should be that lucky! Problem is that Dole was a true hero and Gus is
only Gus... but his dog thinks he's OK. (smiling as this is written!) 3d
person is OK, too, for it seems like someone else is here talking about Gus
and saying nice things, too. Don't hear all that much good stuff from
others. (smiling again !).

Also... beats a bunch of the stuff I've read about Gus around here lately.
It is really tough to become negatively famous in so short a time! (still
smiling !)

Gus would fuss at you all once again to "behave" but it would probably do no
good to do that! (and Gus is still smiling... maybe even grinning... hard to
tell at my age !!! )

Wonder what Bob Dole would have done were he a Q-nut like Gus ???

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> I think every cook ultimately learns that seasons are to accentuate
> the flavors of an item, not replace them. Its not like we are trying
> to cover the smell and flavor of rancid meat like used to be the case.

Ditto to that.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

frohe

Gus wrote:
> Gus would fuss at you all once again to "behave" but it would
> probably do no good to do that!

Would you quit beatin a dead horse!! Either fit in or go away. Keep
this up and you'll soon be in everyone's killfile.

--
frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

cl

frohe wrote:

> Gus wrote:
> > Gus would fuss at you all once again to "behave" but it would
> > probably do no good to do that!

> Would you quit beatin a dead horse!! Either fit in or go away. Keep
> this up and you'll soon be in everyone's killfile.

Shame on you. Don't take him out of context, his next line is: "(and Gus
is still smiling... maybe even grinning... hard to
tell at my age !!! )"

-CAL

Jack Sloan

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:02:36 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
> wrote:
>
> >my "secret rub" is Cavender's Greek seasoning...

> Does that come in a cardboard shaker with a cartoon Greek wearing a
> chef hat on the front?

Yup, the yellow one has some msg and the blue one doesn't.I also s&p most
meats.
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Gus" > wrote in message

> Say Gus,
>
> What's with all the 3rd person refs, dude? Are you really Bob Dole?
>
> Jack

Maybe he's really King Gustav ...
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> cl wrote:
>
> > I think every cook ultimately learns that seasons are to accentuate
> > the flavors of an item, not replace them. Its not like we are trying
> > to cover the smell and flavor of rancid meat like used to be the case.

> Ditto to that.
>
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

I just hate it when cal says something that makes sense.
Jack

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:13:19 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:

>3d person is OK, too, for it seems like someone else is here talking about Gus

And that's exactly why it's annoying as hell.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Harry in Iowa

"Gus" > held forth in
:

snip

>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

> Now THERE is an idea that someone should follow up on. Maybe the
> reason no one has done that yet is because maybe no one knows what
> mouse flavor is like.
>
> ;-) Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

On that same note, why don't they make cat poop flavored dog treats?

--
Harry in Iowa

"What kind of dog is that Paw?"
"Why son, that there dog is a sooner dog."
"Whats a sooner dog Paw?"
"Sooner eat shit than good food."
<rimshot please>

kilikini

"Harry in Iowa" > wrote in message
. 136...
> "Gus" > held forth in
> :
>
> On that same note, why don't they make cat poop flavored dog treats?
>
> --
> Harry in Iowa

Harry, my doggy LOVES that tootsie roll factory known as the litterbox.
Disgusting!

kili

Brick

On 3-Oct-2004, "Jack Sloan" > wrote:

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> > > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:12:09 -0400, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove

<snipped a bunch of stuff that you've all read twice or more anyhow>

> Ya know, I was just thinkin' about that rub this mornin' and I guess 'cause
> I'm so close to Houston and all...the 12 pounds of beef ribs and 10 pounds
> of feral hog backstraps I did in the NBBD only took 2 1/2 hours . Really
> and no kiddin' and all that. Top thermo read 250 most of the time and in 2
> 1/2 hours it was screaming "take me offa here." I guess the grill ht temp
> musta been a bit higher. It's all in the cooler wrapped up in foil and
> towels right now...maybe I'll remember to take a pic for ABF.
> Jack (who wonders how much actual meat is gonna be on that 12 poundsa rib
> bones.)

I think beef ribs take a lot less time. Mine usually come out in about two hours
also. NB Silver, dome temp ~250°. Grill temp is 35° to 50° hotter then that by
my probe measurement. Much hotter near the firebox. Not so bad under the
chimney. ( finished some pork back ribs in two hours once, but the temp spiked to
450° and I don't know how long it was there before I noticed. The ribs were real
dry, though tasty from orangewood smoke.)
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 3-Oct-2004, "John" > wrote:

> Jack Sloan wrote:
>
> Snipped stuff-
>

> > Ya know, I was just thinkin' about that rub this mornin' and I guess
> > 'cause I'm so close to Houston and all...the 12 pounds of beef ribs
> > and 10 pounds of feral hog backstraps I did in the NBBD only took 2
> > 1/2 hours . Really and no kiddin' and all that. Top thermo read 250
> > most of the time and in 2 1/2 hours it was screaming "take me offa
> > here." I guess the grill ht temp musta been a bit higher. It's all
> > in the cooler wrapped up in foil and towels right now...maybe I'll
> > remember to take a pic for ABF. Jack (who wonders how much actual
> > meat is gonna be on that 12 poundsa rib bones.)

Forgot to mention in another post. I net about 75% of gross with fairly
fat beef ribs. Pork butts lose even more. Last Jan, I cooked 13.5# of
butts down to 7#, 6 Oz. at a finish temp (internal) of 195°.

> Would never doubt ya, Sloan, especially about beef ribs being done sooner.
> Now, "Gus who speaks of himself in the third person," I'm gonna be a little
> skeptical about that guy for a spell.
>
> Jack Curry

Keep the home fires burning
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Gus

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 7-Oct-2004, "Gus" > wrote:

wrote

> <snipped a bunch of repititious drivel>
>
> > ================================================== ==
> > Nothing wrong with "Cajun Rub" whatever that may be. Wished I knew

what
> > "trotters"were, but Q folks are always coming along with one thing after
> > another...
> >
> > ;-) Gus Kilthau
> > Houston, Texas

> Cajun rub starts with Emeril's Essence and gets modified from there. Go to
> foodnetwork.com to get the recipe. Trotters are raw pigsfeet. 'Q' folk

cook
> what's available. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it

will
> always be. That's why 'Q' in the east is pork and why 'Q' in Texas is

beef.
> Get used to it.
>
> --
> Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

News==----

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
Newsgroups
> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =-

OK Brick...

So, in the East, it is Pork and in Texas it is Beef.... and "Trotters" are
pig's feet (not horses who pull those little carts around the tracks up
there in Saratoga...) and "Cajun Rub" is from the TV show run by that
fellow, Emeril, (who is NOT a Cajun at all). These are truly amazing things
to behold.

No matter. It is always wonderful to receive such education.

I suppose Gus should quit Qing pork and stick only to beef, for he is in
Texas , right? (smile)

It is amazing the comments that some folks come up with on this newsgroup!

And... to think it all started with Gus telling everyone that he and his
buddies were going to open up a Q-joint soon and that anyone who wanted to
could download the "Redneck's Cookbook" if they wanted to. May even be one
of the longest and silliest threads in newsgroup history. Wow!

So, it of some small importance that Gus will not respond any longer to
stuff posted on this thread. Enough is (in this instance) more than enough!

Best to you and all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston,Texas