fatsam

Default Pork Shoulder - Fat Up or Down

I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.

How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?

I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused

UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
Down) Fat forms protective barrier.

FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about 250F.

fatsam

Jack Curry

fatsam wrote:
> I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>
> How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>
> I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>
> UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
> Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
> FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at
> about 250F.
>
> fatsam

You will forever see both opinions on this subject. Generally, if you are
cooking indirect, fat up or down doesn't matter too much. If cooking
direct, the fat acts as an effective heat shield for the meat, preventing
drying, but with pork, there's so much fat that this is rarely a problem
anyhow. Flip a coin, you won't be wrong, then try it the other way next
time.

Jack Curry
-It's more important with brisket-

Jack Curry

fatsam wrote:
> I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>
> How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>
> I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>
> UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
> Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
> FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at
> about 250F.
>
> fatsam

You will forever see both opinions on this subject. Generally, if you are
cooking indirect, fat up or down doesn't matter too much. If cooking
direct, the fat acts as an effective heat shield for the meat, preventing
drying, but with pork, there's so much fat that this is rarely a problem
anyhow. Flip a coin, you won't be wrong, then try it the other way next
time.

Jack Curry
-It's more important with brisket-

BOB

Jack Curry wrote:
> fatsam wrote:
>> I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>>
>> How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>>
>> I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>>
>> UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
>> Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>>
>> FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at
>> about 250F.
>>
>> fatsam

> You will forever see both opinions on this subject. Generally, if you are
> cooking indirect, fat up or down doesn't matter too much. If cooking
> direct, the fat acts as an effective heat shield for the meat, preventing
> drying, but with pork, there's so much fat that this is rarely a problem
> anyhow. Flip a coin, you won't be wrong, then try it the other way next
> time.
>
> Jack Curry
> -It's more important with brisket-

What Jack said, sort of...I like to cook direct (no water pan/heat deflector)
with fat down. I chop the resulting char-crust and mix it in with the pulled
pork, 'cuz it's the way I and those I cook for like best.
Do one of each, at the same time. On the WSM, I'll bet you'll decide on the fat
DOWN, but the fat up will be great, too.

BOB

Louis Cohen

Get a package of two, cook one up, and one down, see what you like.

FWIW, I always do mine fat in the K with indirect heat.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"fatsam" > wrote in message
> I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>
> How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>
> I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>
> UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
> Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
> FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about

250F.

> fatsam

Louis Cohen

"fatsam" > wrote in message
> I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>
> How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>
> I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>
> UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
> Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
> FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about

250F.

> fatsam

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:42:06 -0500, "fatsam"
> wrote:

>UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
>Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
>FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about 250F.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You just answered your own question. Why do you need the protective
layer if you're already using a heat deflector?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:42:06 -0500, "fatsam"
> wrote:

>UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
>Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
>FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about 250F.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You just answered your own question. Why do you need the protective
layer if you're already using a heat deflector?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Carp

"fatsam" > wrote in message
>I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>
> How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>
> I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>
> UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
> Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>
> FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about
> 250F.
>
> fatsam

I have a question along these same lines. I am smoking my first pork
shoulder tomorrow. I know that I have read the information that I am
looking for here but am tired of googling for it.

So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees. For a
10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook? Everything I can find
is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.

Thanks much from a long time lurker.
Carp

Dave Bugg

Carp wrote:

> So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees.
> For a 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook?
> Everything I can find is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.

Carp, I would still use that figure as a time estimate. I tend to estimate
about 2.0 hrs per pound at 225 - 240. Just keep in mind that it is JUST an
ESTIMATE, and the shoulder will have its own time. As said frequently: "It's
done when it's done" :-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Carp wrote:

> So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees.
> For a 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook?
> Everything I can find is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.

Carp, I would still use that figure as a time estimate. I tend to estimate
about 2.0 hrs per pound at 225 - 240. Just keep in mind that it is JUST an
ESTIMATE, and the shoulder will have its own time. As said frequently: "It's
done when it's done" :-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
http://davebbq.com/

bbq

Carp wrote:

> "fatsam" > wrote in message
>
>>I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>>
>>How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>>
>>I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>>
>>UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
>>Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>>
>>FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about
>>250F.
>>
>>fatsam
>>

> I have a question along these same lines. I am smoking my first pork
> shoulder tomorrow. I know that I have read the information that I am
> looking for here but am tired of googling for it.
>
> So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees. For a
> 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook? Everything I can find
> is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.

What temp are you going to cook it at? Not sure of good guesstimates
are at 300 as I don't often at that temperature when smoking/Q'ing.

Typically, I do butts at 250 or so. And have cooked in 1 hour/lb and as
much as 1.5 hours/lb. Butts that I have cooked have been around 7 lbs.

If it is real important to have it done at a certain time(you have
guests coming over) figure on 2 hours/lb. and you should be OK. If it
gets done earlier and hopefully it will, wrap in foil and towel and
place in a cooler. It will keep plenty warm for a while.

As said often 'It's done when it's done' is very true for
butts/shoulders/briskets. They seem to have a mind of their own when
being cooked. Some are stubborn SOB's. Cooked a small brisket once and
that sucker was as stubborn as can be. About 4 lb brisket and after 10
hours was still not done. Was having some temp control problems that
day too.

Enjoy your cook.

BBQ

bbq

Carp wrote:

> "fatsam" > wrote in message
>
>>I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>>
>>How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>>
>>I have seen both arguments on the Internet and am confused
>>
>>UP) Fat will melt and keep meat juicy
>>Down) Fat forms protective barrier.
>>
>>FYI: I use a sand filled water bowl. I keep my top vent temp at about
>>250F.
>>
>>fatsam
>>

> I have a question along these same lines. I am smoking my first pork
> shoulder tomorrow. I know that I have read the information that I am
> looking for here but am tired of googling for it.
>
> So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees. For a
> 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook? Everything I can find
> is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.

What temp are you going to cook it at? Not sure of good guesstimates
are at 300 as I don't often at that temperature when smoking/Q'ing.

Typically, I do butts at 250 or so. And have cooked in 1 hour/lb and as
much as 1.5 hours/lb. Butts that I have cooked have been around 7 lbs.

If it is real important to have it done at a certain time(you have
guests coming over) figure on 2 hours/lb. and you should be OK. If it
gets done earlier and hopefully it will, wrap in foil and towel and
place in a cooler. It will keep plenty warm for a while.

As said often 'It's done when it's done' is very true for
butts/shoulders/briskets. They seem to have a mind of their own when
being cooked. Some are stubborn SOB's. Cooked a small brisket once and
that sucker was as stubborn as can be. About 4 lb brisket and after 10
hours was still not done. Was having some temp control problems that
day too.

Enjoy your cook.

BBQ

Brick

On 30-Sep-2004, "Carp" > wrote:

> "fatsam" > wrote in message
> >I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
> >
> > How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?

<snip>

Fat facing the maximum heat. Usually fat side up in a barrel type
smoker (ECB, WSM, Etc.) Fat side down in an offset.

> I have a question along these same lines. I am smoking my first pork
> shoulder tomorrow. I know that I have read the information that I am
> looking for here but am tired of googling for it.
>
> So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees. For a
> 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook? Everything I can find
> is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.
>
> Thanks much from a long time lurker.
> Carp

I did a 7.5# shoulder (butt) on 7/17/04. 5.5 hours to reach 195°F internal,
cooking at about 300° to 325°F. Results were excellent. I recovered
5' 6" of meat after removing the bone. Meat pulled easily and had a crispy
crust. I chopped the crust with a heavy cleaver and mixed it in with the meat.
Vacuum packed most of it for the freezer.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI) AKA M&M
Brick

On 30-Sep-2004, "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

> Carp wrote:
>
> > So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees.
> > For a 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook?
> > Everything I can find is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.

> Carp, I would still use that figure as a time estimate. I tend to estimate
> about 2.0 hrs per pound at 225 - 240. Just keep in mind that it is JUST an
> ESTIMATE, and the shoulder will have its own time. As said frequently: "It's
> done when it's done" :-)
>
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Ditto what Dave said about "It's done when it's done. I've seen as much as
and hour difference in two apparently identical pork butts."

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 30-Sep-2004, bbq > wrote:

> Carp wrote:
>
> > "fatsam" > wrote in message

<snip a bunch>

> If it is real important to have it done at a certain time(you have
> guests coming over) figure on 2 hours/lb. and you should be OK. If it
> gets done earlier and hopefully it will, wrap in foil and towel and
> place in a cooler. It will keep plenty warm for a while.(bbq)

Just a note here. Meat treated as above will stay plenty hot enough for
several hours. (brick)

> As said often 'It's done when it's done' is very true for
> butts/shoulders/briskets. (bbq)

<snipped some more>

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI) AKA M&M
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:21:03 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

> I recovered 5' 6" of meat after removing the bone.

Were you making a very long sandwich?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Carp

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 30-Sep-2004, "Carp" > wrote:
>
>> "fatsam" > wrote in message
>> >I am going to smoke some Pork Shoulder on my WSM.
>> >
>> > How do you smoke it? Fat up or down?
>> >

> <snip>
>
> Fat facing the maximum heat. Usually fat side up in a barrel type
> smoker (ECB, WSM, Etc.) Fat side down in an offset.
>

>> I have a question along these same lines. I am smoking my first pork
>> shoulder tomorrow. I know that I have read the information that I am
>> looking for here but am tired of googling for it.
>>
>> So - I know that I have read that FatMan cooks at about 300 degrees. For
>> 10 lb shoulder - about how long will it take to cook? Everything I can
>> find
>> is 1.5 hrs per lb at 200 - 225.
>>
>> Thanks much from a long time lurker.
>> Carp

> I did a 7.5# shoulder (butt) on 7/17/04. 5.5 hours to reach 195°F
> internal,
> cooking at about 300° to 325°F. Results were excellent. I recovered
> 5' 6" of meat after removing the bone. Meat pulled easily and had a crispy
> crust. I chopped the crust with a heavy cleaver and mixed it in with the
> meat.
> Vacuum packed most of it for the freezer.
> --
> Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI) AKA M&M

Thanks for the advice.
I smoked a 10 lb shoulder on Saturday. In the smoker at 6:30 a.m., cooked
at 300 (never smoked that hot before). Wandered out about every hour to
check the smoker temp and at 1:30 p.m. just happened to look at the Polder.
Shoulder was at 205! Holy Smokes (no pun intended). I thought I would have
hours to go yet. Checked it by pulling on the bone (no snickers) and it
pulled right out. Stuck a couple of forks in it and with no effort it fell
apart. Put it in several layers of foil and stuck it in the oven (the oven
was off) and let it sit until supper time. Fed us and a bunch of neighbors.
Must have been ok. Everyone wants to know when I am doing another one. Had
a couple of comments that it was the best pulled pork they had ever had. I
do understand that most folks have never really had good Q to begin with or
to compare to. For my 98 cents per pound - it just does not get any better
than that.
Thanks again,
Carp

Pork Shoulder. Calvin Atwood Barbecue 30 04-09-2012 08:39 PM
Pork shoulder Gz Barbecue 13 08-07-2010 10:29 PM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 04:11 AM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 0 16-04-2005 05:41 AM
Pork shoulder Kurt Barbecue 3 26-12-2004 06:16 PM