Kevin S. Wilson

Default Komodo [sic] on eBay

Someone posted the following link, but I nuked the message before
replying:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20723&item=4323089 457&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW>

It's a modified Kamado.

"These ceramic BBQ cookers were bought in Indonesia and brought to
U.S. and are stored in a Long Beach CA warehouse. These ceramic BBQ
cookers are beyond question the finest on the market today. These
Kamado BBQ cookers were made in an Indonesian factory by the same
workers who for 3 years produced hundreds of tiled Kamado® BBQ's.
Komodo hired these experienced workers and created new molds,
technology, engineering and designs. These units are inspired by the
BBQ’s of Kamado Corp of CA but are NOT COPIES any more than Porsches
are copies of VWs."

"Similar but lower quality tiled BBQs are back ordered 2-3 months, are
famous for their terrible customer service and cost over $1,000 for a
comparable unit."

More on eBay.

Whoever listed this cooker has parked the domain komodokamado.com. I
smell a lawsuit cooking.
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Matthew L. Martin

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> "Similar but lower quality tiled BBQs are back ordered 2-3 months, are
> famous for their terrible customer service and cost over $1,000 for a
> comparable unit."
>
> Whoever listed this cooker has parked the domain komodokamado.com. I
> smell a lawsuit cooking.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Even if there is firm legal grounds for action,
the costs would not be small.

From the Kamado website:

"Kamado” was trade marked by Richard, and over the years the name became
(and in some cases used without authority) synonymous with a ceramic
barbecue.

This sounds like Richard did not defend his trademark (probably due to
the high cost of doing so) and the word may have followed cellophane
into the public domain. That and the fact that kamado is a foreign
language word that means cooker. If Kamado is no longer a valid
trademark then any court action would have to be on the basis of
intellectual property rights. That would ultimately end up being a
judgement call; how many changes to Richard's designs will be enough to
be a new product? If it is a valid trademark the copies could be renamed
Gicecos (Gi-ant Ce-ment Co-cktail S-hakers) and marketing resumed,
pending IP rights ajudication.

Remember, Richard's Kamado is based on the works of others, too.

Matthew (who isn't a lawyer and doesn't play one on TV)
Matthew L. Martin

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> "Similar but lower quality tiled BBQs are back ordered 2-3 months, are
> famous for their terrible customer service and cost over $1,000 for a
> comparable unit."
>
> Whoever listed this cooker has parked the domain komodokamado.com. I
> smell a lawsuit cooking.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Even if there is firm legal grounds for action,
the costs would not be small.

From the Kamado website:

[...]

Tyler Hopper

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Someone posted the following link, but I nuked the message before
> replying:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...323089 457&rd
=1&ssPageName=WDVW>

> It's a modified Kamado.

I especially like the picture of the cracked rim.

Tyler Hopper

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Someone posted the following link, but I nuked the message before
> replying:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...323089 457&rd
=1&ssPageName=WDVW>

> It's a modified Kamado.

I especially like the picture of the cracked rim.

Tyler Hopper

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Someone posted the following link, but I nuked the message before
> replying:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...323089 457&rd
=1&ssPageName=WDVW>

> It's a modified Kamado.

I especially like the picture of the cracked rim.

Nathan Lau

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>

>> "Similar but lower quality tiled BBQs are back ordered 2-3 months, are
>> famous for their terrible customer service and cost over $1,000 for a
>> comparable unit."
>>
>> Whoever listed this cooker has parked the domain komodokamado.com. I
>> smell a lawsuit cooking.

> Perhaps, perhaps not. Even if there is firm legal grounds for action,
> the costs would not be small.
>
> From the Kamado website:
>
> "Kamado” was trade marked by Richard, and over the years the name became
> (and in some cases used without authority) synonymous with a ceramic
> barbecue.
>
> This sounds like Richard did not defend his trademark (probably due to
> the high cost of doing so) and the word may have followed cellophane
> into the public domain. That and the fact that kamado is a foreign
> language word that means cooker. If Kamado is no longer a valid
> trademark then any court action would have to be on the basis of
> intellectual property rights. That would ultimately end up being a
> judgement call; how many changes to Richard's designs will be enough to
> be a new product? If it is a valid trademark the copies could be renamed
> Gicecos (Gi-ant Ce-ment Co-cktail S-hakers) and marketing resumed,
> pending IP rights ajudication.
>
> Remember, Richard's Kamado is based on the works of others, too.
>
> Matthew (who isn't a lawyer and doesn't play one on TV)

IANAL either but my opinion is that even if Richard hasn't defended the
Kamado name, this guy's cooker is so close to Richard's that it would be
trademark dilution. I look at that picture and immediately think it's
the "real Kamado".

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Nathan Lau

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>

>> "Similar but lower quality tiled BBQs are back ordered 2-3 months, are
>> famous for their terrible customer service and cost over $1,000 for a
>> comparable unit."
>>
>> Whoever listed this cooker has parked the domain komodokamado.com. I
>> smell a lawsuit cooking.

> Perhaps, perhaps not. Even if there is firm legal grounds for action,
> the costs would not be small.
>
> From the Kamado website:
>
> "Kamado” was trade marked by Richard, and over the years the name became
> (and in some cases used without authority) synonymous with a ceramic
> barbecue.
>
> This sounds like Richard did not defend his trademark (probably due to
> the high cost of doing so) and the word may have followed cellophane
> into the public domain. That and the fact that kamado is a foreign
> language word that means cooker. If Kamado is no longer a valid
> trademark then any court action would have to be on the basis of
> intellectual property rights. That would ultimately end up being a
> judgement call; how many changes to Richard's designs will be enough to
> be a new product? If it is a valid trademark the copies could be renamed
> Gicecos (Gi-ant Ce-ment Co-cktail S-hakers) and marketing resumed,
> pending IP rights ajudication.
>
> Remember, Richard's Kamado is based on the works of others, too.
>
> Matthew (who isn't a lawyer and doesn't play one on TV)

IANAL either but my opinion is that even if Richard hasn't defended the
Kamado name, this guy's cooker is so close to Richard's that it would be
trademark dilution. I look at that picture and immediately think it's
the "real Kamado".

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:01:35 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>IANAL either but my opinion is that even if Richard hasn't defended the
>Kamado name, this guy's cooker is so close to Richard's that it would be
>trademark dilution. I look at that picture and immediately think it's
>the "real Kamado".

Trademark is only part of the issue. IIRC, Richard holds a design
patent on the Kamado. However, in the time it took me to type that
sentence, I realized that the patent is probably long expired by now.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:01:35 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>IANAL either but my opinion is that even if Richard hasn't defended the
>Kamado name, this guy's cooker is so close to Richard's that it would be
>trademark dilution. I look at that picture and immediately think it's
>the "real Kamado".

Trademark is only part of the issue. IIRC, Richard holds a design
patent on the Kamado. However, in the time it took me to type that
sentence, I realized that the patent is probably long expired by now.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

JBSummer

Makes me think of the Kiev Ukrainian medium format cameras that have been
reworked and rebadged as Arax, supposedly with the quality control problems
ironed out and with better cosmetics..
JBSummer

Makes me think of the Kiev Ukrainian medium format cameras that have been
reworked and rebadged as Arax, supposedly with the quality control problems
ironed out and with better cosmetics..
JBSummer

This grill is begging for a distinctive trademark. A small ceramic dragon
perched above the handle perhaps. Or maybe a white porcelain finish and a
flapper valve to control the draft.
JBSummer

This grill is begging for a distinctive trademark. A small ceramic dragon
perched above the handle perhaps. Or maybe a white porcelain finish and a
flapper valve to control the draft.
CSS

I particularly like this quote on one of the earlier auctions:

"Similar (lower quality) tiled BBQ's are back ordered 2-3 months, are well
known to have terrible customer service and cost over $1,000"

So is the free market working, or what?

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> > Someone posted the following link, but I nuked the message before
> > replying:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=4323089 45
7&rd
> =1&ssPageName=WDVW>
> >
> > It's a modified Kamado.

> I especially like the picture of the cracked rim.

CSS

I particularly like this quote on one of the earlier auctions:

"Similar (lower quality) tiled BBQ's are back ordered 2-3 months, are well
known to have terrible customer service and cost over $1,000"

So is the free market working, or what?

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> > Someone posted the following link, but I nuked the message before
> > replying:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=4323089 45
7&rd
> =1&ssPageName=WDVW>
> >
> > It's a modified Kamado.

> I especially like the picture of the cracked rim.

Review of a Komodo Kamado cooker David S Barbecue 0 09-05-2007 01:05 PM
New website Komodo Kamado up DrQ Barbecue 20 06-07-2005 04:07 PM
Komodo-Kamado f/256 Barbecue 4 23-12-2004 02:34 PM
do you ever buy tea on ebay? Frank & Renee Tea 11 15-12-2004 10:33 PM
Komodo Charcoal JBSummer Barbecue 12 23-09-2004 01:22 AM