Default User

Default Ping Steve Calvin

Did you try that "Qik Jim" charcoal we discussed a few weeks back? If
so, how'd it turn out?

Brian
Steve Calvin

Default User wrote:

> Did you try that "Qik Jim" charcoal we discussed a few weeks back? If
> so, how'd it turn out?
>

> Brian

Oh, shoot. I'm sorry Brian. I forgot that I'd promised you a report.
Well, factoring in that I'm a WSM newbie take my review lightly. I
fired up a chimney full and that was all that I put in. It lasted for
about 2 hours running at around 260dF. It was a warm day and no breezes.

It probably would have gone on for quite a while if I'd put some unlit
into the bottom before adding the lit stuff from the chimney.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Default User wrote:
>
> > Did you try that "Qik Jim" charcoal we discussed a few weeks back?
> > If so, how'd it turn out?

> Oh, shoot. I'm sorry Brian. I forgot that I'd promised you a report.

I forgot too, until I saw the "Lump in Missouri" thread, which made me
think about places to buy lump, reminding me about True Value and Qik
Jim.

> Well, factoring in that I'm a WSM newbie take my review lightly. I
> fired up a chimney full and that was all that I put in. It lasted for
> about 2 hours running at around 260dF. It was a warm day and no
> breezes.

How were the piece sizes? Did it look like lumber scraps or split wood?

Brian

Steve Calvin

> How were the piece sizes? Did it look like lumber scraps or split wood?

I'd classify them as small. Some of them may be 1"x3" or so but most
smaller than than. It didn't look like lumber scraps.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Default User wrote:
>

> > How were the piece sizes? Did it look like lumber scraps or split
> > wood?
> >

> I'd classify them as small. Some of them may be 1"x3" or so but most
> smaller than than. It didn't look like lumber scraps.

That's kind of what I remembered from the time I tried some while back.
I generally like at least a fair portion to be larger.

Thanks.

Brian

Ping: Steve Janet B General Cooking 0 10-07-2016 09:41 PM
PING: Steve Wertz Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 28 16-01-2007 12:58 PM
PING: Steve Calvin limey Cooking Equipment 2 09-10-2004 03:24 PM
WSM Mods for Steve Calvin Pics to follow Lew/+Silat Barbecue 0 26-08-2004 08:55 PM
PING Steve Wertz Ol' Hippie Barbecue 0 18-12-2003 08:32 PM