Zed Rafi

Default rub / marinade?

Hello,

I've been lurking on this newsgroup for a while now, and i've got a couple
of questions.
First of all, let me says i'm not a pro like most of you guys. you guys seem
to know your way around the gril better than everyone i've ever met. I'm
just a regular guy with a propane grill on the back deck of my apartment.

Anyway, i was wondering what the difference was between a marinade and a
rub. I know the rub is solid, whereas the marinade is liquid, but what are
the pros and cons of both?
I've so far only made marinades for my meats, and i've never myself
concocted a rub. I've however used ready-made rubs you buy at the
supermarket, that are WAY too salty and which contain MSG (beurk).

thanks

Nathan Lau

Zed Rafi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking on this newsgroup for a while now, and i've got a couple
> of questions.
> First of all, let me says i'm not a pro like most of you guys. you guys seem
> to know your way around the gril better than everyone i've ever met. I'm
> just a regular guy with a propane grill on the back deck of my apartment.

Hi Zed,

welcome to the newsgroup. Most of us aren't pro's either; we just like
to Q and talk about it. I also started out with a gasser on my
apartment deck.

> Anyway, i was wondering what the difference was between a marinade and a
> rub. I know the rub is solid, whereas the marinade is liquid, but what are
> the pros and cons of both?
> I've so far only made marinades for my meats, and i've never myself
> concocted a rub. I've however used ready-made rubs you buy at the
> supermarket, that are WAY too salty and which contain MSG (beurk).

Have you seen the FAQ?

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Especially section 9.2 which says:

"Paraphrasing he Marinades are made up of three parts with three
specific flavor roles. The first is acid, such as wine, vinegar, citrus
juice, or yogurt, acting as a softening agent. The second is oil, which
adds flavor and moisture. The third is the aromatics that give the
marinade its aroma and flavor."

Probably the biggest difference between a rub and a marinade is the acid
portion, followed by the oil. It's just a way to get different flavors
onto the meat.

The FAQ has plenty of rub recipes. The good thing about them is that
you can control the amount of salt and msg in them, to YOUR taste, every
time.

Keep cooking, and keep asking questions!
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Dana Myers

Zed Rafi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking on this newsgroup for a while now, and i've got a couple
> of questions.
> First of all, let me says i'm not a pro like most of you guys. you guys seem
> to know your way around the gril better than everyone i've ever met. I'm
> just a regular guy with a propane grill on the back deck of my apartment.

There are a few pros here, certainly, but the majority of us are
just people with meat, heat, smoke and seasonings. Just like you.
By paying attention to what we're doing, and sharing with/learning
from others, we just get more serious about meat, heat and smoke.

So you don't need to make apologies. Welcome.

> Anyway, i was wondering what the difference was between a marinade and a
> rub. I know the rub is solid, whereas the marinade is liquid, but what are
> the pros and cons of both?
> I've so far only made marinades for my meats, and i've never myself
> concocted a rub. I've however used ready-made rubs you buy at the
> supermarket, that are WAY too salty and which contain MSG (beurk).

My understanding is, marinades do one or more of the following three
things:

1. Flavor the meat. Virtually all marinades do this.

2. Soften or tenderize the meat. Usually acids and sometimes
enzymes (like those present in fresh pineapple juice) are used to
do this. Too much softening/tenderizing is to be avoided,
particularly when cooking with lower heat for longer periods
of time. Tenderizers, IMHO, are only really useful when
grilling or roasting otherwise tougher cuts of meat and
not BBQing.

3. Moisten the meat. Oil and salty liquid are often employed
to do this. The salt seems to help the liquid and oil soak
into the meat.

Rubs primarily flavor the meat, though I almost always
brush oil over rubbed meat to contain moisture. The salt
in a rub helps the flavors in the rub penetrate/soak into
the meat and, IMHO, helps establish a nice texture of the
meat surface. I also think the salt will help smoke
penetrate the meat. Sugar in a rub may caramelize and
add flavor, texture and appearance. Paprika in a rub
adds flavor and color. So on.

I rarely marinate, and always rub when BBQing. I
sometimes marinate when grilling. I do mildly brine
chickens before smoke roasting them, primarily for
texture and flavor.

Dana
Dana Myers

Zed Rafi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking on this newsgroup for a while now, and i've got a couple
> of questions.
> First of all, let me says i'm not a pro like most of you guys. you guys seem
> to know your way around the gril better than everyone i've ever met. I'm
> just a regular guy with a propane grill on the back deck of my apartment.

There are a few pros here, certainly, but the majority of us are
just people with meat, heat, smoke and seasonings. Just like you.
By paying attention to what we're doing, and sharing with/learning
from others, we just get more serious about meat, heat and smoke.

So you don't need to make apologies. Welcome.

> Anyway, i was wondering what the difference was between a marinade and a
> rub. I know the rub is solid, whereas the marinade is liquid, but what are
> the pros and cons of both?
> I've so far only made marinades for my meats, and i've never myself
> concocted a rub. I've however used ready-made rubs you buy at the
> supermarket, that are WAY too salty and which contain MSG (beurk).

My understanding is, marinades do one or more of the following three
things:

1. Flavor the meat. Virtually all marinades do this.

2. Soften or tenderize the meat. Usually acids and sometimes
enzymes (like those present in fresh pineapple juice) are used to
do this. Too much softening/tenderizing is to be avoided,
particularly when cooking with lower heat for longer periods
of time. Tenderizers, IMHO, are only really useful when
grilling or roasting otherwise tougher cuts of meat and
not BBQing.

3. Moisten the meat. Oil and salty liquid are often employed
to do this. The salt seems to help the liquid and oil soak
into the meat.

Rubs primarily flavor the meat, though I almost always
brush oil over rubbed meat to contain moisture. The salt
in a rub helps the flavors in the rub penetrate/soak into
the meat and, IMHO, helps establish a nice texture of the
meat surface. I also think the salt will help smoke
penetrate the meat. Sugar in a rub may caramelize and
add flavor, texture and appearance. Paprika in a rub
adds flavor and color. So on.

I rarely marinate, and always rub when BBQing. I
sometimes marinate when grilling. I do mildly brine
chickens before smoke roasting them, primarily for
texture and flavor.

Dana
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Dana
Myers > wrote:

> Zed Rafi wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been lurking on this newsgroup for a while now, and i've got a couple
> > of questions.
> > First of all, let me says i'm not a pro like most of you guys. you guys seem
> > to know your way around the gril better than everyone i've ever met. I'm
> > just a regular guy with a propane grill on the back deck of my apartment.

<snip dana's good stuff>

> I rarely marinate, and always rub when BBQing. I
> sometimes marinate when grilling. I do mildly brine
> chickens before smoke roasting them, primarily for
> texture and flavor.

There's also a gray area of slathers - wet rubs (like chimichurri,
e.g.) - which act as marinades. I tend to think of a rub as a dry
marinade-I let meat sit with the rub on it for 1 or 2 days-then put
more dry rub on just before cooking.
If you cook a lot of birdflesh, I'd suggest reading up on brines-
they'll improve your poultry more than anything else poossibly will.

monroe(not a pro and don't even play one on TV)

Dana Myers

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> There's also a gray area of slathers - wet rubs (like chimichurri,
> e.g.) - which act as marinades. I tend to think of a rub as a dry
> marinade-I let meat sit with the rub on it for 1 or 2 days-then put
> more dry rub on just before cooking.

Good point. I was going to comment that a dry rub for me
is a lot like a marinade or even a sauce after cooking ;-)
One could argue that, since I customarily brush with oil
after applying rub, that I might actually be marinating
rather than rubbing (where's Alton Brown? ;-) ).

> If you cook a lot of birdflesh, I'd suggest reading up on brines-
> they'll improve your poultry more than anything else poossibly will.

I don't have a lot of experience there, but brining certainly
does the trick for chicks.

Dana
Monroe, of course...

&
>> Monroe

(back&forth)
> > There's also a gray area of slathers - wet rubs (like chimichurri,
> > e.g.) - which act as marinades. I tend to think of a rub as a dry
> > marinade-I let meat sit with the rub on it for 1 or 2 days-then put
> > more dry rub on just before cooking.

> Good point. I was going to comment that a dry rub for me
> is a lot like a marinade or even a sauce after cooking ;-)
> One could argue that, since I customarily brush with oil
> after applying rub, that I might actually be marinating
> rather than rubbing (where's Alton Brown? ;-) ).

Oooo-it does get tricky don't it? I had a steak slather that was
essentially equal parts of cracked black pepper,minced garlic,coarse
mustard,brown sugar and bourbon. More than 4 hours in this slop and
you'd have beef ceviche. Is it a marinade or a rub? I dunno!
The oil may be a defining factor, but mojo criollo is a marinade and
doesn't have any oil---auggh!
I think we could make Alton's head explode after a few minutes of this!

> > If you cook a lot of birdflesh, I'd suggest reading up on brines-
> > they'll improve your poultry more than anything else poossibly will.

> I don't have a lot of experience there, but brining certainly
> does the trick for chicks.

Amen to that! Buy good fresh local free range birds and brine them
yourself and you'll redefine what chicken is COMPLETELY!

monroe(like grass fed beef different)
Kent H.

Dana I think the oil coating over the dry rub gives you a much improved
surface brown, and I always do it, even if it as minimal as spraying it
with PAM. I can hear the Ughs. I don't think doing that removes the meat
from the dry rub categor. It certainly gives you a better surface brown
and it holds the moisture inside the meat. Any aqueous addition, like
vinegar, wine, or stock creates a marinade.
Cheers,
Kent

Dana Myers wrote:

> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>
> > There's also a gray area of slathers - wet rubs (like chimichurri,
> > e.g.) - which act as marinades. I tend to think of a rub as a dry
> > marinade-I let meat sit with the rub on it for 1 or 2 days-then put
> > more dry rub on just before cooking.

> Good point. I was going to comment that a dry rub for me
> is a lot like a marinade or even a sauce after cooking ;-)
> One could argue that, since I customarily brush with oil
> after applying rub, that I might actually be marinating
> rather than rubbing (where's Alton Brown? ;-) ).
>
> > If you cook a lot of birdflesh, I'd suggest reading up on brines-
> > they'll improve your poultry more than anything else poossibly will.

> I don't have a lot of experience there, but brining certainly
> does the trick for chicks.
>
> Dana

Kent H.

Dana Myers wrote:

> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>
> > There's also a gray area of slathers - wet rubs (like chimichurri,
> > e.g.) - which act as marinades. I tend to think of a rub as a dry
> > marinade-I let meat sit with the rub on it for 1 or 2 days-then put
> > more dry rub on just before cooking.

> Good point. I was going to comment that a dry rub for me
> is a lot like a marinade or even a sauce after cooking ;-)
> One could argue that, since I customarily brush with oil
> after applying rub, that I might actually be marinating
> rather than rubbing (where's Alton Brown? ;-) ).
>
> > If you cook a lot of birdflesh, I'd suggest reading up on brines-
> > they'll improve your poultry more than anything else poossibly will.

> I don't have a lot of experience there, but brining certainly
> does the trick for chicks.
>
> Dana

Steve Calvin

Kent H. wrote:
> Dana I think the oil coating over the dry rub gives you a much improved
> surface brown, and I always do it, even if it as minimal as spraying it
> with PAM. I can hear the Ughs. I don't think doing that removes the meat
> from the dry rub categor. It certainly gives you a better surface brown
> and it holds the moisture inside the meat. Any aqueous addition, like
> vinegar, wine, or stock creates a marinade.
> Cheers,
> Kent

<bottom posting, per usenet-etiquette>

I've had no problem getting good bark and a really good surface brown
without oil. <shrug> Whatever works for ya.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Kent H. wrote:
> Dana I think the oil coating over the dry rub gives you a much improved
> surface brown, and I always do it, even if it as minimal as spraying it
> with PAM. I can hear the Ughs. I don't think doing that removes the meat
> from the dry rub categor. It certainly gives you a better surface brown
> and it holds the moisture inside the meat. Any aqueous addition, like
> vinegar, wine, or stock creates a marinade.
> Cheers,
> Kent

<bottom posting, per usenet-etiquette>

I've had no problem getting good bark and a really good surface brown
without oil. <shrug> Whatever works for ya.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Larry Noah

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:22:49 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Kent H. wrote:
>> Dana I think the oil coating over the dry rub gives you a much improved
>> surface brown, and I always do it, even if it as minimal as spraying it
>> with PAM. I can hear the Ughs. I don't think doing that removes the meat
>> from the dry rub categor. It certainly gives you a better surface brown
>> and it holds the moisture inside the meat. Any aqueous addition, like
>> vinegar, wine, or stock creates a marinade.
>> Cheers,
>> Kent

><bottom posting, per usenet-etiquette>
>
>I've had no problem getting good bark and a really good surface brown
>without oil. <shrug> Whatever works for ya.

What works for me is slather with CYM and then the apply the rub. I
do usually oil the grills - not the meat. Mr. Brown is always good
IMHO.

Steve Calvin

Larry Noah wrote:

> What works for me is slather with CYM and then the apply the rub. I
> do usually oil the grills - not the meat. Mr. Brown is always good
> IMHO.

Yeah, I oil the grates with a light coating but that's it. I haven't
tried the CYM thang yet but it's gotta be a bit messy putting a dry
rub on it after coating with the mustard, no?

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Larry Noah wrote:

> What works for me is slather with CYM and then the apply the rub. I
> do usually oil the grills - not the meat. Mr. Brown is always good
> IMHO.

Yeah, I oil the grates with a light coating but that's it. I haven't
tried the CYM thang yet but it's gotta be a bit messy putting a dry
rub on it after coating with the mustard, no?

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Larry Noah

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:15:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Larry Noah wrote:
>>

>> What works for me is slather with CYM and then the apply the rub. I
>> do usually oil the grills - not the meat. Mr. Brown is always good
>> IMHO.
>>

>Yeah, I oil the grates with a light coating but that's it. I haven't
>tried the CYM thang yet but it's gotta be a bit messy putting a dry
>rub on it after coating with the mustard, no?

Yea, the CYM is messy, but I can wash my hands again. Actually I
sprinkle the rub and pat it rather than actually rubbing it.
Everybody to they own kick!

Larry Noah

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:15:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Larry Noah wrote:
>>

>> What works for me is slather with CYM and then the apply the rub. I
>> do usually oil the grills - not the meat. Mr. Brown is always good
>> IMHO.
>>

>Yeah, I oil the grates with a light coating but that's it. I haven't
>tried the CYM thang yet but it's gotta be a bit messy putting a dry
>rub on it after coating with the mustard, no?

Yea, the CYM is messy, but I can wash my hands again. Actually I
sprinkle the rub and pat it rather than actually rubbing it.
Everybody to they own kick!

Steve Calvin

Larry Noah wrote:

> Yea, the CYM is messy, but I can wash my hands again. Actually I
> sprinkle the rub and pat it rather than actually rubbing it.
> Everybody to they own kick!

I was being a bit of a wise a**. ;-) I was refering to rubbing after
the mustard. It is on my list to try though. What cuts do you use it on?

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

GmagicB

Some please explain to me what CYM is or means, This is a new term to me.

Thanks,
George

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Larry Noah wrote:
> >

> > What works for me is slather with CYM and then the apply the rub. I
> > do usually oil the grills - not the meat. Mr. Brown is always good
> > IMHO.
> >

> Yeah, I oil the grates with a light coating but that's it. I haven't
> tried the CYM thang yet but it's gotta be a bit messy putting a dry
> rub on it after coating with the mustard, no?
>

> --
> Steve
>
> If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
> darkness?

Dave Bugg

GmagicB wrote:
> Some please explain to me what CYM is or means, This is a new term to
> me.

Common Yellow Mustard. And please, don't top-post.
Dave

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:11:44 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

>GmagicB wrote:
>> Some please explain to me what CYM is or means, This is a new term to
>> me.

>Common Yellow Mustard.

I always translated it as "cheap yellow mustard." In our family, it's
known as neon mustard.

> And please, don't top-post.

What he said.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

BOB

GmagicB wrote:
> Some please explain to me what CYM is or means, This is a new term to me.
>
> Thanks,
> George

If you'll promise to stop top posting, I'll tell you that CYM is cheap yellow
mustard.

Thanks for deciding to respond and communicate in the more appropriate way.
;-)

BOB

Larry Noah

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:12:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Larry Noah wrote:
>

>> Yea, the CYM is messy, but I can wash my hands again. Actually I
>> sprinkle the rub and pat it rather than actually rubbing it.
>> Everybody to they own kick!
>>

>I was being a bit of a wise a**. ;-) I was refering to rubbing after
>the mustard. It is on my list to try though. What cuts do you use it on?

Usually butts and sometimes ribs. It makes a nice bark.

Dave Bugg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> I always translated it as "cheap yellow mustard." In our family, it's
> known as neon mustard.

LOL!! Cheap works fine for me, especially since it's the most common :-)
Dave

Dave Bugg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> I always translated it as "cheap yellow mustard." In our family, it's
> known as neon mustard.

LOL!! Cheap works fine for me, especially since it's the most common :-)
Dave

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
> > I always translated it as "cheap yellow mustard." In our family, it's
> > known as neon mustard.

> LOL!! Cheap works fine for me, especially since it's the most common :-)

How about 'Crappy Yellow Mustard' ? That'd be my vote. Mustard that
don't make ya burp fiercely later on ain't hittin on much, IMO.

monroe(FYM could mean several things too)

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:11:44 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

>GmagicB wrote:
>> Some please explain to me what CYM is or means, This is a new term to
>> me.

>Common Yellow Mustard. And please, don't top-post.
>Dave

Are you paying Attention Louis Cohen?

Harry
Dana Myers

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> Oooo-it does get tricky don't it? I had a steak slather that was
> essentially equal parts of cracked black pepper,minced garlic,coarse
> mustard,brown sugar and bourbon. More than 4 hours in this slop and
> you'd have beef ceviche. Is it a marinade or a rub? I dunno!
> The oil may be a defining factor, but mojo criollo is a marinade and
> doesn't have any oil---auggh!
> I think we could make Alton's head explode after a few minutes of this!

Heh. The good part, research on this topic seems to involve
a lot of good eatin'.

Like yesterday, I started craving a steak, so I had a few 2"
thick rib-eyes cut, patted a little seasoning on 'em (S&P,
garlic powder, onion powder, ground coriander, and pinches
of fresh ground dill and celery seed), brushed them with olive
oil, and then grilled over a glowing oak wood fire to medium-rare.

Topped with a pat of blue cheese butter and a few marinated
shiitakes, with braised baby asparagus tips on the side.

Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...

;-)
Dana
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:27:27 GMT, Dana Myers >
wrote:

>Monroe, of course... wrote:
>

>> Oooo-it does get tricky don't it? I had a steak slather that was
>> essentially equal parts of cracked black pepper,minced garlic,coarse
>> mustard,brown sugar and bourbon. More than 4 hours in this slop and
>> you'd have beef ceviche. Is it a marinade or a rub? I dunno!
>> The oil may be a defining factor, but mojo criollo is a marinade and
>> doesn't have any oil---auggh!
>> I think we could make Alton's head explode after a few minutes of this!

>Heh. The good part, research on this topic seems to involve
>a lot of good eatin'.
>
>Like yesterday, I started craving a steak, so I had a few 2"
>thick rib-eyes cut, patted a little seasoning on 'em (S&P,
>garlic powder, onion powder, ground coriander, and pinches
>of fresh ground dill and celery seed), brushed them with olive
>oil, and then grilled over a glowing oak wood fire to medium-rare.
>
>Topped with a pat of blue cheese butter and a few marinated
>shiitakes, with braised baby asparagus tips on the side.
>
>Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...

You rubbed them.

Definition: Marinate means to coat or immerse foods in an acidic-based
liquid or dry rub, to tenderize and flavor before cooking. Food is
marinated in a marinade.

http://busycooks.about.com/library/g...efmarinate.htm

marinate
[MEHR-ih-nayt]
To soak a food such as meat, fish or vegetables in a seasoned liquid
mixture called a MARINADE. The purpose of marinating is for the food
to absorb the flavors of the marinade or, as in the case of a tough
cut of meat, to tenderize. Because most marinades contain acid
ingredients, the marinating should be done in a glass, ceramic or
stainless-steel container — never in aluminum. Foods should be covered
and refrigerated while they're marinating. When fruits are similarly
soaked, the term used is MACERATE.

<http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/search?query=marinate&submit.x=15&submit.y=14>
Definition: A dry rub is a combination of spices and herbs that is
rubbed into meat to help flavor and tenderize the flesh before
cooking.

http://busycooks.about.com/library/g...ldefdryrub.htm

Definition: A Rub is a spice and/or herb mixture that is added to
foods before cooking. Rubs can be completely dry or incorporate some
liquids in which case it is called a wet rub or past[e]. Rubs are most
often used in barbecue and grilling because of their ability to stick
to meats when grilled or smoked. Generally rubs start with paprika
and/or chili powder to add color and mild flavor.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Jack Curry

> Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...
>

> ;-)
> Dana

Marinub or Rubinate, take your pick.

Jack Curry
-taste is more important than semantics-

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:07:17 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...
>>

>Marinub or Rubinate, take your pick.

Those neologisms don't exactly trip off the tongue. The last one
sounds like it describes a bumpkin in deep thought.

I don't see the confusion here. A marinade involves liquids. Dana said
he "patted a little seasoning on 'em (S&P, garlic powder, onion
powder, ground coriander, and pinches of fresh ground dill and celery
seed), brushed them with olive oil."

A brushing with olive oil doesn't make a marinade, at least not in my
book.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Kevin S. Wilson

@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...
>>

>Marinub or Rubinate, take your pick.

Those neologisms don't exactly trip off the tongue. The last one
sounds like it describes a bumpkin in deep thought.

I don't see the confusion here. A marinade involves liquids. Dana said
he "patted a little seasoning on 'em (S&P, garlic powder, onion
powder, ground coriander, and pinches of fresh ground dill and celery
seed), brushed them with olive oil."

A brushing with olive oil doesn't make a marinade, at least not in my
book.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Dana Myers

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> I don't see the confusion here. A marinade involves liquids. Dana said
> he "patted a little seasoning on 'em (S&P, garlic powder, onion
> powder, ground coriander, and pinches of fresh ground dill and celery
> seed), brushed them with olive oil."
>
> A brushing with olive oil doesn't make a marinade, at least not in my
> book.

.... and not in mine, either. I was making a little joke in
my closing comment, but I suppose the associated ':-)' wasn't
close enough to stick. But - thanks for providing rigorous
definitions of rub and marinade, that was interesting.

Cheers,
Dana
BOB

Dana Myers wrote:
> ... and not in mine, either. I was making a little joke in
> my closing comment, but I suppose the associated ':-)' wasn't
> close enough to stick. But - thanks for providing rigorous
> definitions of rub and marinade, that was interesting.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Some people have no sense of humor, unless it is *their* own brand. Apparently,
yours isn't the kind being used today...
;-)

BOB

BOB

Dana Myers wrote:
> ... and not in mine, either. I was making a little joke in
> my closing comment, but I suppose the associated ':-)' wasn't
> close enough to stick. But - thanks for providing rigorous
> definitions of rub and marinade, that was interesting.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Some people have no sense of humor, unless it is *their* own brand. Apparently,
yours isn't the kind being used today...
;-)

BOB

Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:07:17 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
> @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>> Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...
>>>

>> Marinub or Rubinate, take your pick.

> Those neologisms don't exactly trip off the tongue. The last one
> sounds like it describes a bumpkin in deep thought.

And "Marinub" sounds like a one-legged sailor's stump. Neither were offered
with serious intent.

> I don't see the confusion here.

Confusion? I don't think anyone's really confused, though I realize that
as a wordsmith, you are more deeply concerned with technically correct
definitions than I am.

> A brushing with olive oil doesn't make a marinade, at least not in my
> book.

OK by me. And your definitions were interesting.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:07:17 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
> @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>> Mmmmmmmm... did I marinate them or rub them? I don't know...
>>>

>> Marinub or Rubinate, take your pick.

> Those neologisms don't exactly trip off the tongue. The last one
> sounds like it describes a bumpkin in deep thought.

And "Marinub" sounds like a one-legged sailor's stump. Neither were offered
with serious intent.

> I don't see the confusion here.

Confusion? I don't think anyone's really confused, though I realize that
as a wordsmith, you are more deeply concerned with technically correct
definitions than I am.

> A brushing with olive oil doesn't make a marinade, at least not in my
> book.

OK by me. And your definitions were interesting.

Jack Curry

Dave Bugg

Jack Curry wrote:

> And "Marinub" sounds like a one-legged sailor's stump.

<SPLORK> That was the sound of my diet pepsi leaving my mouth and hitting
the monitor. ROTFLOL!!!!

Dana Myers

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Jack Curry wrote:
>

>>And "Marinub" sounds like a one-legged sailor's stump.

> <SPLORK> That was the sound of my diet pepsi leaving my mouth and hitting
> the monitor. ROTFLOL!!!!

That *is* pretty funny!

marinade observation Nonnymus[_5_] Barbecue 10 28-10-2007 03:26 PM
vacuum marinade ?? Rob Mills Barbecue 4 21-05-2007 07:43 PM
A Marinade Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 17-05-2006 08:27 AM
REC rib marinade Teri General Cooking 3 21-06-2005 01:25 AM
Tuna marinade? Michael L Kankiewicz General Cooking 7 07-11-2004 02:41 AM