Higgins

Default Pork loin cooked to 195 degrees...mmmm

Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????
kilikini

"Higgins" > wrote in message
om...
> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
> half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
> having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
> describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
> wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

I certainly don't get it. Bloody meat tastes good! Everything else has
this bitter, flat taste to it.

kili

kilikini

"Higgins" > wrote in message
om...
> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
> half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
> having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
> describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
> wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

I certainly don't get it. Bloody meat tastes good! Everything else has
this bitter, flat taste to it.

kili

David Goldstein

kilikini wrote:
> "Higgins" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
>>I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
>>grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
>>half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
>>having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
>>describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
>>wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
>>AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

> I certainly don't get it. Bloody meat tastes good! Everything else has
> this bitter, flat taste to it.

For me, it is about the texture of what I am chewing. I prefer my
steak cooked medium. When I was younger, I would not even consider
eating a steak unless it was well-done.

The same holds true for certain veggies and fruits. I cannot stand
raw tomatoes or anything to do with mushrooms, simply because the
texture does not appeal to me.

> kili

David

David Goldstein

kilikini wrote:
> "Higgins" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
>>I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
>>grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
>>half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
>>having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
>>describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
>>wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
>>AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

> I certainly don't get it. Bloody meat tastes good! Everything else has
> this bitter, flat taste to it.

For me, it is about the texture of what I am chewing. I prefer my
steak cooked medium. When I was younger, I would not even consider
eating a steak unless it was well-done.

The same holds true for certain veggies and fruits. I cannot stand
raw tomatoes or anything to do with mushrooms, simply because the
texture does not appeal to me.

> kili

David

Dirty Harry

"Higgins" > wrote in message
om...
> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
> half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
> having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
> describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
> wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

I think most ppl just don't realize that its totally safe to have it nice
and juicy...and they are too scared to try it, (like little kids)...

Dirty Harry

"Higgins" > wrote in message
om...
> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
> half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
> having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
> describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
> wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

I think most ppl just don't realize that its totally safe to have it nice
and juicy...and they are too scared to try it, (like little kids)...

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Higgins" > wrote in message

>> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
>> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
>> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160,

Try 145 to 150 for even better.

>> The half he ate from was
>> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

Upbringing I think. People are taught by their parents that meat should be
dead and no blood running from it.

Many years ago it was OK to cook pork to a high temperature because it was
fatty and could take the heat and there was the possibility of trichinosis.
That has changed.

At home we always had all meats well done. Fortunately, my wife taught me
different, but I admit, at first I was a bit fearful to eat it pink. Now
I'll eat some raw.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Higgins" > wrote in message

>> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
>> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
>> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160,

Try 145 to 150 for even better.

>> The half he ate from was
>> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

Upbringing I think. People are taught by their parents that meat should be
dead and no blood running from it.

Many years ago it was OK to cook pork to a high temperature because it was
fatty and could take the heat and there was the possibility of trichinosis.
That has changed.

At home we always had all meats well done. Fortunately, my wife taught me
different, but I admit, at first I was a bit fearful to eat it pink. Now
I'll eat some raw.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Michael

"David Goldstein" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> > "Higgins" > wrote in message
> > om...

<snip> The same holds true for certain veggies and fruits. I cannot
stand
> raw tomatoes or anything to do with mushrooms, simply because the
> texture does not appeal to me.
>
> > kili

> David

If the good Lord ever made anything that tastes better than a fresh home
grown tomato he never let this po' country boy taste it!

Michael

Michael

"David Goldstein" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> > "Higgins" > wrote in message
> > om...

<snip> The same holds true for certain veggies and fruits. I cannot
stand
> raw tomatoes or anything to do with mushrooms, simply because the
> texture does not appeal to me.
>
> > kili

> David

If the good Lord ever made anything that tastes better than a fresh home
grown tomato he never let this po' country boy taste it!

Michael

just joe

> If the good Lord ever made anything that tastes better than a fresh home
> grown tomato he never let this po' country boy taste it!
>
> Michael

only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and home grown
tomatos. or at least that's what is says in the song.

joe

Stephen Russell

"Higgins" > wrote in message
om...
> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
> half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
> having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
> describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
> wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.

Steaks Rare.
Pork - cooked but not dead
Chicken - moist.

Stephen Russell

"Higgins" > wrote in message
om...
> Yes, that's a lie. It tastes terrible. At my brother in law's request,
> I smoked a port loin for a couple of hours, then threw it on the
> grill. I pulled it when the internal temp hit 160, cut it half kept on
> half and threw the other back on the grill BIL is fanatic about
> having his meat cooked completely threw. Well done doesn't even
> describe how he likes it. The damn thing caught fire and he still
> wasn't happy. The other half was spectacular. The half he ate from was
> AWFUL. Why do people like their meat that way????

I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.

Steaks Rare.
Pork - cooked but not dead
Chicken - moist.

Steve Calvin

Stephen Russell wrote:

> I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.
>
> Steaks Rare.
> Pork - cooked but not dead
> Chicken - moist.

ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
yet.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Stephen Russell wrote:

> I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.
>
> Steaks Rare.
> Pork - cooked but not dead
> Chicken - moist.

ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
yet.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:57:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Stephen Russell wrote:
>

>> I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.
>>
>> Steaks Rare.
>> Pork - cooked but not dead
>> Chicken - moist.
>>

>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>yet.

It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
the whole roast.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:57:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Stephen Russell wrote:
>

>> I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.
>>
>> Steaks Rare.
>> Pork - cooked but not dead
>> Chicken - moist.
>>

>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>yet.

It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
the whole roast.

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:57:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Stephen Russell wrote:
>

>> I ask for a blood rare end cut when getting prime rib.
>>
>> Steaks Rare.
>> Pork - cooked but not dead
>> Chicken - moist.
>>

>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>yet.

It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
the whole roast.

Harry
Steve Calvin

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

>>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>>yet.

> It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
> after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
> get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
> the whole roast.
>
> Harry

Thanks Harry, but what's an Autosham? I "googled" for it but didn't
find much of anything except for mentions of it by you. What the devil
is it? I'm assuming that it's some sort of preasure cooker, but a
standard one or something different?

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

>>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>>yet.

> It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
> after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
> get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
> the whole roast.
>
> Harry

Thanks Harry, but what's an Autosham? I "googled" for it but didn't
find much of anything except for mentions of it by you. What the devil
is it? I'm assuming that it's some sort of preasure cooker, but a
standard one or something different?

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:18:22 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>

>>>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>>>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>>>yet.

>> It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
>> after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
>> get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
>> the whole roast.
>>
>> Harry

>Thanks Harry, but what's an Autosham? I "googled" for it but didn't
>find much of anything except for mentions of it by you. What the devil
>is it? I'm assuming that it's some sort of preasure cooker, but a
>standard one or something different?

It's one of a couple of brands of computer controlled multi power
source pressure aided ovens used in restaurants. You can throw in
several roasts [or whatevers] and program the machine to do precise
cooking/baking/roasting duties to get the food to where you want it
and to hold it there for lengthy periods of time. Very usefull
equipment and I bet there's not a decent beef house in North America
who doesn't use one.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:18:22 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>

>>>ok, I've gotta ask. How do you get a blood rare end cut? If it were
>>>blood rare at the end the rest of it wouldn't have even gotten started
>>>yet.

>> It's an illusion. The meat is cooked under pressure in an Autosham
>> after first being browned off [also in the Autosham].. You can indeed
>> get an end cut which is rare - and that consistency extends throughout
>> the whole roast.
>>
>> Harry

>Thanks Harry, but what's an Autosham? I "googled" for it but didn't
>find much of anything except for mentions of it by you. What the devil
>is it? I'm assuming that it's some sort of preasure cooker, but a
>standard one or something different?

It's one of a couple of brands of computer controlled multi power
source pressure aided ovens used in restaurants. You can throw in
several roasts [or whatevers] and program the machine to do precise
cooking/baking/roasting duties to get the food to where you want it
and to hold it there for lengthy periods of time. Very usefull
equipment and I bet there's not a decent beef house in North America
who doesn't use one.

Harry

Steve S

>Thanks Harry, but what's an Autosham? I "googled" for it but didn't
>find much of anything except for mentions of it by you

Try Altosham...
Steve Calvin

Steve S wrote:

>>Thanks Harry, but what's an Autosham? I "googled" for it but didn't
>>find much of anything except for mentions of it by you

> Try Altosham...

Thanks Steve. Got a few more "hits" with that search. ;-) Actually I
figured, given the description that they's be rather expensive. And
while not cheap, I expected it to cost more than $700.

Thanks